“it was alright” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
hamilton, Ont
“it was alright”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2005

this hotel was alright, I found the location to be perfect and the hotel rooms were great but I found the front desk staff not that pleasant. I was on my honeymoon and we didn't get the room we booked, also my trip included breakfast and they forgot to give me the coupons so I had to pay for the breakfast, even though they reinbursed me at check-out it was a hassel. Other then that the beach was great and the restaurants were amazing especially the hula grill at the whaler's mall.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2005

After reading all reviews I was nervous about our trip. I enjoyed the stay, the ocean is sheltered in front of the hotel for snorkeling. We had a room in building six- it was clean, comfortable and looked out at the ocean. The resort is touristy however every place in that area is touristy. If you want old Hawaii you should go to the north shore of Kauai. The breakfast buffet I would not recommend.
Overall, I would go back as it was easy and child friendly.
It is half the price of The Four Seasons and about half as nice....

Stayed December 2005
British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2005

For a Sheraton property, which has a corporate standard, I found this place barely met my minimum expectations. Although the problems didn't deter me from enjoying my stay, problems we experienced were:
1. broken in-room safe
2. filthy wall air-conditioners
3. room service order was incorrect
4. room was left ajar by the room attendant
5. hairs were found in our bed
The staff were overall friendly and you can't beat the location--which I think is why this property can command the high room rate despite these problems.
We did address all the problems above, we merely got an apology, which is fine by us. I totally disagree with their 'resort fee' which is now $17.71 per day; you get like free coffee (which is only 10% Kona coffee and its disgusting), free local calls, free self-parking. Places to eat which is less expensive and delicious are: Mixed plate next door at the Kanapali hotel (buffet with prime rib), CJ Deli, Whaler's mall--pizza, chinese food, Giovanni's - a bit more expensive but worth it, and the dinner special at the Hula Grill (gotta go before 6pm).
Rent snorkel gear for the week at Snorkel Bob's instead of getting it from the hotel
Enjoyed the time there although a tad bit disappointed for a Sheraton.

• Stayed December 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2005

We were at the Sheraton when it was extremely full over Thanksgiving. We are not usually ones to complain (especially in paradise) but ended up changing out of two rooms - the first was for guests with disabilities and we couldn't take a shower without all the water coming out onto the floor. This wasn't a problem in the second room because the shower didn't work at all. They very nicely offered Starwood points/gift certificate for our trouble which was appreciated.

By and large the employees were very nice and the pool is great for either very small children (in the kiddie pool) or much older children. Our daughter is in the middle of that and couldn't really swim without us swimming with her up and down the river. Also the pool is very cold. This was partially alleviated by her favorite activity - feeding the koi at 10:00 a.m.

Can't beat the location or the beach.

• Stayed November 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2005

Split our 10 night stay between Westin Maui and Sheraton Maui. For our family, Sheraton was the preferred location overall. Your opinion may be different. Read on.

Westin Maui:
1. Extremely hectic feeling (the landscape is awesome with waterfalls but add a ton of people noise during the day and it loses ambience quickly)
2. Has more staff on hand to assist you
3. Keiki (Children's) Camp is awesome (especially Nicole, their counselor)
4. Ono Grill serves decent food at high price
5. Terrace serves pretty good food and great view
6. Very helpful and friendly staff
7. Very nicely equipped workout room (didn't use a minute of it!)
8. Good pools

Sheraton Maui:
1. Awesome snorkeling right at your footstep
2. Relaxed and more serene atmosphere (reminds us of Jamaica)
3. Ample parking
4. Fabulous view (if you get ocean front)
5. Fairly helpful staff but minimally staffed compared to Westin
6. Restaurant food match up to prices quite well (except for the breakfast buffet)
7. Kid's pool - wading area and 3 ft area

Not very impressed by both locations' rooms and bathrooms but no complains since we spent minimal time in the rooms even though we had ocean front/view rooms.

If you have little kids, both places are fun but Sheraton has the kid's pool. Older kids will prefer the Westin slides at their pools.

If you want to try out snorkeling and scuba, definitely pick Sheraton because it's right at your doorstep.

We decided on the Starwood properties over other properties like Hyatt and Ritz (all about the same price as we received great package offers.) We checked out both locations and was very happy with our decisions. Hyatt probably has better pools but was even more crowded! The thing that pushed us to Sheraton over Hyatt was the beach. Review on Hyatt's lack of beach was the major reason we avoided Hyatt and the review was correct. To get my little ones to the beach was not as easy at the Ritz as it was surrounded by the golf course.

If you decide on Maui, do get the "Maui Revealed" book if you intend to venture outside of your resort. You'll find great tidepools, beaches, activities and food recommendations.

As for food, if you decide to eat at Whaler's Village, we love Leilani's (lunch and dinner). Hula Grill was quite good too. Rusty Harpoon service and food is mediocre at best (lunch and dinner). Sansei close to Ritz at Kapalua is as good as advertised. Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina is decent but Da Kitchen in Kihei serves awesome local food. For Califonians, you will most likely find David Paul a tad bit overrated. Wished we had time to try Pacific'O. We found no reason to try Moose McGillycuddys or Roys as they're readily available in California.

Hope this helps. Definitely get "Maui Revealed" book.

Enjoy your trip. We did ;)

NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2005

As I write this review I am sitting on our Lanai at the Sheraton Maui. While we did not get a Lei greeting, we have been total blown away by this hotel. We were a little worried about booking at a Sheraton due to past experiences with the chain, but are really glad we decided to try them again. We are staying on SPG points and were expecting to be in the lowest room available. We were upgraded to a deluxe oceanview room. It is wonderful!!! We ate at the Terrace restaurant last night and the food and service were terrific.

We have been snorkeling at Black Rock in the morning with a green sea turtle.

We are now wishing that we had decided to stay here for our whole vacation instead of only 5 nights. Hopefully the next hotel, the Sheraton Keauhou will be as wonderful as this one.

BTW, you get free valet parking the first night. We did not know this which is why we did not get the lei greeting.

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2005

I'm Starwood Gold and Marriott Gold - I travel a lot. I'm used to supposed "4-star" service and rooms.

The Sheraton Maui exceeded my expectations.

I used Starwood points to get a room for one week. I know what types of rooms you get when you use points - the worst in the place. I nicely talked with the desk attendant and she worked a way to get me an oceanview room. She was overly pleasant and a joy to work with. Her name was Tisha.

The room is good. I don't think too many Hawaii rooms are great, luxury-style rooms. What's the point? You're outside most of the time. Nice King-sized bed, nice balcony with table and chairs, wired internet in the room (which I converted to wireless with my travel router), and TV with all of the mainland channels.

The resort itself is superb. The pool has two big sections with a long, winding 4 foot river connecting them. A hot tub is hidden between the two and romantically nestled between hidden rocks. There are two pool bar/restaurants and plenty of poolside waiters/waitresses. There are also two activity centers near the pool/beach. We did find that their prices are not that competitive with other centers in the Lahaina area - shop around.

The beach is the best of all the hotels along this resort stretch. In contrast, the Marriott beach is TERRIBLE. Rocky, non-swimmable, etc. People come from all over just to snorkle on the beach at the Sheraton - we did and the views were INCREDIBLE! be very, very careful here as one unfortunate sould nearly died while we were there - he swam BEYOND Black Rock (despite all of the signs) and was pinned against the rock. EMS, Police, Fire, etc... got there and revived him.

All in all, I would stay here again in an instant. Even though I got the room for free, I would pay around $300 a night for a room like this.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!