“Great Location, Great Beach, Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars

5th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Location, Great Beach, Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2005

I'm Starwood Gold and Marriott Gold - I travel a lot. I'm used to supposed "4-star" service and rooms.

The Sheraton Maui exceeded my expectations.

I used Starwood points to get a room for one week. I know what types of rooms you get when you use points - the worst in the place. I nicely talked with the desk attendant and she worked a way to get me an oceanview room. She was overly pleasant and a joy to work with. Her name was Tisha.

The room is good. I don't think too many Hawaii rooms are great, luxury-style rooms. What's the point? You're outside most of the time. Nice King-sized bed, nice balcony with table and chairs, wired internet in the room (which I converted to wireless with my travel router), and TV with all of the mainland channels.

The resort itself is superb. The pool has two big sections with a long, winding 4 foot river connecting them. A hot tub is hidden between the two and romantically nestled between hidden rocks. There are two pool bar/restaurants and plenty of poolside waiters/waitresses. There are also two activity centers near the pool/beach. We did find that their prices are not that competitive with other centers in the Lahaina area - shop around.

The beach is the best of all the hotels along this resort stretch. In contrast, the Marriott beach is TERRIBLE. Rocky, non-swimmable, etc. People come from all over just to snorkle on the beach at the Sheraton - we did and the views were INCREDIBLE! be very, very careful here as one unfortunate sould nearly died while we were there - he swam BEYOND Black Rock (despite all of the signs) and was pinned against the rock. EMS, Police, Fire, etc... got there and revived him.

All in all, I would stay here again in an instant. Even though I got the room for free, I would pay around $300 a night for a room like this.

• Stayed November 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2005

We stayed at the Sheraton from November 25th - December 2nd. This was our second stay at the Sheraton and it defintely exceeded all our expectations from our previous wonderful stay. We were immediately greeted upon arrival with fresh leis. They had already upgraded us to an ocean-view room without us even having to request it. The valet attendants were really nice and helpful. The staff at the front desk was equally helpful. The view from our room was the best I've ever had. I could literally have thrown a rock from our balcony and hit the ocean. We ordered room service one night and ate at the pool bar a few times, each with good food and good service. The snorkeling right off the beach was our favorite part--it made it so easy to be able to go snorkeling whenever we wanted. The nightly cliff dive off Black Rock is a really cool ceremony that is worth checking out. I highly recommend the Sheraton and will be staying there the next time we go to Maui.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2005

I remember the Sheraton back in the 80’s and it was in a great location but was not the best hotel on the beach. When researching to return in 2003 I narrowed it down to the Sheraton and the Westin. After seeing the Sheraton had newly renovated and built new buildings I called them and we received a great deal for a deluxe ocean front room. We got this deal after signing up for a free Starwood card. We also would not have gotten as good a deal if we had not called them directly. When we got there we were blown away by the view, the food, the service and the resort itself. We walked to the other resorts along Ka’anapali beach and even asked to see a room at the Westin and after seeing the room and battling the congestion of the lobby and pool area of the Westin we knew for sure we made the right choice to stay at the Sheraton. We also purchased a vacation ownership at the new Westin Ocean Villas and returned there this year but we extended our stay in the villas with a visit to the Sheraton. I am sure every visit to Maui will include a stay at the Sheraton. Not only the best spot on Ka’anapali beach but right at the best snorkeling since the resort is located on Black Rock. Had my first swim with dolphins and sea turtles right off Black Rock. The Villas we purchased are great and still a prime spot but I still consider the Sheraton a better resort.

• Stayed September 2005
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2005

Sheraton's location on Black Rock (where good snorkeling can be found) is great. But Black Rock's popularity also leads to a crowded beach with lots of families, kids, and visitors from all the other hotels looking for good snorkeling.

The room we had was on the 2nd floor, ocean view. Decor was nice, modern, and clean. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was a nice size. The public spaces (lobby and grounds) were well maintained and the low profile of the hotel gives it a more intimate feel and allows it to blend into the scenery a little bit better than the other taller and bigger resorts down the road. The cleaning service was excellent although the hotel lobby staff was a bit lacking for a five star hotel.

Paid around $290/night. Hope you find a better bargain. Even at that price, it was worth it.

• Stayed October 2005
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2005

Spent a week at the Sheraton Maui Nov. 2-9. We stayed in two different rooms: Room 6104, building 6, 1st Floor. This was a nice room, especially since it had a king bed, but....after flying for 5.5 hours and another 1.5 hours between luggage and getting to the hotel, we arrived at about 11 pm. only to be greeted by a little twit at the front desk, who will remain nameless. She sighed and typed, sighed and typed, rolled her eyes when we told her that I had re-confirmed our reservation the previous day, had a confirmation number and that the room we requested, and paid for already, was in building 5.

She insisted that no particular building was guaranteed and that she'd have to put us in Bldg. 3 until something else came available. I told her that we had paid $550 extra for a Deluxe Ocean Front room in Bldg. 5 and that was where we wanted to be. More sighing, typing, eye-rolling, etc. This continued for about 10 minutes. I am usually a very patient person, but at about this point I was getting angry. She then said they "might" be able to put us in an Ocean View with a king, but not a Deluxe Ocean Front.

Finally one of the other front desk people came to her and "helped" her find a room in Bldg. 6 with a Deluxe Ocean Front w/King bed. I really wanted to throttle her at this point, but was too tired to work up the energy. So that was our first "Aloha" from the staff. I must say, however, that she was the only staff person we had trouble with our entire stay. Everyone else was very friendly and wanting to assist in any way possible.

The next day my husband called the front desk, asked for the manager, and told him what had happened the night before on our arrival. He apologized profusely and said they would have a Deluxe Ocean Front available in Bldg. 5 Saturday morning. We told him that would be fine and we did move that day. Actually the porter moved our luggage over to Room 5806 while we spent the day in Oahu.

The rooms in Bldg. 5 are much nicer than in Bldg. 6. A bit bigger, crown moulding, even in the bathroom, ceiling fan, doorbell, and much bigger balcony. The room we were in was actually part of a suite. To get to our room there were double doors then our room was on the left with another door on the right that was a really big room. Next time we'll be staying in one of those!

I cannot comment on the food as we ate elsewhere on this trip except for the day after we arrived we spent a couple of hours at the Lagoon Terrace, had a couple cocktails and sandwich, which was fine if expensive.

The pool was very nice and we enjoyed that several times while there. It was never terribly crowded either and the hot tub was nice too. We did snorkel at Black Rock and saw some great fish. We simply rented our gear right on the beach there for $8/hr.
The nightly dive into the ocean by the young man never got boring for us watching him make his way across the beach, up the rocks (barefooted of course), and paying tribute to the ocean by throwing his Lei into the water and diving gracefully into the water below.

Cocktails were good with liberal amounts of alcohol in them, nicely served. Of course everything at hotels is expensive here so I won't go in to that. Being in those buildings we were able to park up near where our rooms were, which was very nice. TIP: If you are in Building 5 you can drive up to another entry area with groceries, etc. and don't have to walk all the way from the parking lot with heavy stuff.You can't park there but it is a good drop-off location.

TIP: Stop at Safeway on your way to the hotel to pick up those extras you need to get. It's cheaper than getting them at the hotel or in Lahaina's ABC stores. We also brought along a soft-sided cooler that folded into my suitcase. THis came in handy when out being a tourist and it'll save you some money on drinks and snacks. We also used it to bring beverages down to the pool.

Also, if you have to check out from your room but aren't leaving until later in the day, the baggage can be left at the front desk in a secure room and you can either go out and about, or stay and enjoy your last hours at the pool, etc. You keep your key-card and you can use the health facility for showering, etc. They have towels, blow dryers, lockers, and showers up there.

In closing, we will go back to this hotel. We adored our room in Building 5 with our views of the mountains, grounds, and ocean. Particularly leaving the sliding door open, listening to the luau down below with the music and the warm breezed blowing. Magical!!! We loved the hotel, the room, the people and enjoyed peace and quiet when we wanted to, explored the island and fell in love with Maui, in general. Enjoy!

Stayed November 2005
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

Ultimately you have to ask yourself, if I'm paying $300 a night, should I expect near perfection? If your answer is yes, then the Sheraton Maui is not for you. If you want very nice grounds, and great access to snorkeling right in front of the hotel at blackrock, then this is the place for you.

First some background, I have found that many hotels are actually privately owned, and "borrow" the Shearaton name. This is the case with the Sheraton Maui and it somehow always translates into something less than perfect service.

Complaint #1 - Incesent phone calls to your room. We have relatives back home that are in the hospital, and the last thing you want is the red message light on your phone to be lit after a day on the beach. At the Sheraton Maui, your going to get several. Message #1 - welcome - please come by the vacation desk so we can sell you a timeshare. Then I called to see if the closed captioning could be turned off on our tv set (we get two follow up calls to see if it was fixed and again asked to come up front for sales presentation) - Message #3 - come by for a treat (a piece of candy) by the vacation desk (timeshare). When I called their "Service Promise Desk" to ask them to stop the calls from the timeshare people the girl's response was "well that's a different area then mine" - my response was "You WILL go and tell them to stop calling."

Complaint #2 - As I mentioned the tv captioning would go off, the sleep timer didn't work, and the online invoicing/checkout was broken.

Complaint #3 - No Wireless internet. Their staff said over and over again they had it, and customers were seen using it in the lobby, but I frankly think they were lying or didn't know. I found someone at checkout also complaining about it. I had a portable device that worked fine, but I had to hike 1/4 mile down the road to get it to work. Very inconvenient, especially if you only need to use it 5 minutes a day. Also their turbonet website at starwood doesn't even list the Sheraton Maui.

Complaint #4 - Slow service - both at the pool and the restaurant we had to wait 10-15 mins and then flag down a server. At $9 a drink, I want someone to find me.

Complaint #5 - Special events are more important to them then individuals. Wanna play pool at night to kill some time? Better hope there isn't an event planned as the pool tables are in an event room. Their website makes it look like their apart of their lounge. 4 out of 7 nights they weren't available.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

I recently stayed at Sheraton Maui with my husband and 2 children (6 & 8). We have travelled extensively and have 5+ star standards. This resort is perfect in every way! After reading several reviews on trip advisor I was worried that the rooms were very small. To our surprise, our ocean view room was HUGE with plenty of wardrobe space. The decor was stunning and luxurious. We had 2 double beds and a rollaway bed. The food was so impressive, that we ate almost every meal at the resort. Be sure to walk along the beach to Whalers Village for a great shopping experience.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!