“Best Hotel in the Area !” 5 of 5 stars

5th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Best Hotel in the Area !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We transfered to this hotel after a miserable 1 night stay at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. The Sheraton is an absolutely beautiful hotel in a great location. The room and facilities are outstanding. The service is incredible and the staff very pleasant. I can't say enough good things about the guest services manager (Heather) who helped us get away from the nightmare at the prior hotel. If this hotel is in your budget, stay here! We toured the facilities at the other properties within 1 mile of here today. The Sheraton is by far (and by a lot), the nicest place to stay (but the Westin has a large pool slide which the Sheraton does not. Our kids were at home this trip so the slide wasn't an issue for us). The pool(s) are sprawing (I think it's actually 1 huge pool that waps around 2 different outdoor bar areas.
This hotel is not the Four Seasons or the Fairmont. But, it is, by far, the nicest hotel in the category just below those luxury hotels.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

We stayed at the Sheraton Maui for 9 nights the latter part of January. At check in we were upgraded to ocean front and our accomodations were wonderful witha great view right from our room.

The snorkeling at Black Rock ranked among some of the best snorkeling on the island and we even saw sea turtles. The water is protected and entry is very easy. If you were new to snorkeling this would be a great place to start.

We ate the breakfast buffet every morning and enjoyed the fresh made omeletsand variety of food. The breakfast buffet was included in our package or we probably wouldn't have paid that much every day.

One thing that would be a negative was the price of the drinks. $10 for a margarita by the pool which is served in a plastic cup seemed overpriced to me.

I would definitely return to the Sheraton Maui and thought it was a great location on a great beach. I wish we were still there!

bcm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

My wife and I are from Michigan and we love to get away from the cold and snow. I love to look for deals and really get into the vacation months before we actually leave. I did a lot of research on the resorts in Maui and made resevations at the Sheraton Maui resort and spa. I am a Starwood member and I used their website to book our stay. At the last minute I found a internet special that gave us an partial ocean view for $240.00 a night, so I changed our reservation. When we arrived it was late and we were upgraded to a ocean view in building 3. It was dark and we were tired so we went straight to bed. I woke up to my wife opening the curtains and the first thing she said was " its beautiful". I knew then that I made the right choice. The room looked to be newly renovated with a flat screen T.V. and new carpet. The lanai was very narrow but the view of the grounds, beach, and ocean made up for it.
We broused the room service menu and had to laugh at $18.00 for a bowl of cream of wheat with brown sugar and raisins. Needless to say we never ate at the resort. We did run into many people who had the breakfast coupons and loved the buffet in the mornings.
The resort employees were never rude and always helpful. We chose to pay the extra $5 and use the valet service. We never regretted it.
We noticed that every morning people from the other resorts would carry there things down to the beach in front of the Sheraton because by far its the best beach. I snorkeled at black rock and saw turtles, many fish, squid. It was very beautiful.
Our best meal was shared with a couple we met at the resort. We ate at Kimo`s in Lahaina town. We made our resevations so that we could enjoy the sunset.
All in all I loved the Sheraton and I loved Maui. We have stayed on other islands and we thought this would be our last trip, but after staying at the Sheraton and enjoying the island of Maui I' m already planning next years trip back to the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa.

• Liked — Location,location,location
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Seeing is believing! My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Maui for 8 nights at the end of January, 2009 for our 25th anniversary. We booked a vacation package through Pleasant Holidays that included the daily breakfast buffet (I recommend getting breakfast vouchers included in your package) and an upgrade to deluxe oceanfront in building 6, on Black Rock. We parked our rental car in the private lot for building 6 each night. (Note: "Building 6" is actually a string of 3 attached buildings. We were originally placed in the third building (6318) which had a beautiful oceanfront view of Molokai. However, after 1 night, we requested and were graciously given a room in the first building (rooms 6301-6310) on the tip of Black Rock, in clear view of the cliff divers from our balcony. EVERYDAY we could see Molokai, Lanai, many whales, a rare monk seal, sea turtles, many ships, sunsets, etc from our room. It was stunningly beautiful. We had had a relaxing and scenic 6 minute walk from building 6 to the pool and dining area each day. The breakfast buffet included fresh fruit, eggs, meats, numerous pastries, a made to order omelet bar with a chef, pancakes, oatmeal, fresh pineapple juice, and much more. It was a great way to start the day. The Resort was not crowded this time of the year, so we rarely had to wait for a table.
The service was commendable. We had one piece of luggage that was lost - the airport staff drove it to our hotel and the the Sheraton staff had it in our room by noon the next day! Our room was cleaned daily, and the resort staff was very friendly and accommodating without exception. The Sheraton has a large amount of acreage, and has expansive lawns with tiki torches, palms, a coi pond, a large pool with a long, meandering floating river with waterfalls. It is not heated, but great for sunbathing next to and taking mid-afternoon dips. Dining is expensive, so we mainly ate our free breakfast there. However, we had one evening dinner there that was delicious, and we were given a complimentary dessert pie for our anniversary (the chef wrote our names on the plate and Happy 25th Anniversary with frosting.) The bar offers happy hour from 3-5 with live music each night, and has good burgers.
The resort offered free weekly: stargazing (great), pilates, hula lessons, ukalele lessons, free scuba/snorkeling lessons, family movie night, nightly ceremonial cliff dive off Black Rock (we saw it twice). The resort is relaxing and has a feel of true, lush Hawaii, more so than the more opulent, upscale Hyatt or hotel-feeling Westin.
Kaanapali Beach is a great beach during the winter. The water is more calm and area is less windy than Kapalua. The snorkeling at Black Rock is very nice, and the beach is long with lots of fine sand to lay on. You can rent a chair or cabana on the beach, but most people opted for the good ol' towel to lay on, and sunned on a free lounge chair at the pool. In winter, we had no problem getting a lounger by the pool at anytime.
We ate a few meals at Whalers Village, just a short, relaxing walk on the concrete boardwalk along the beach. Leilani's has a dinner special from 5-6pm nightly that was $15 per person for the main course. Everthing in Maui is a la carte, so we added a dinner salad for $8. We ate at the Hard Rock cafe in Lahaina - Lahaina was a great place to shop and browse during a day we had rain. We took the Teralani Whale watch tour from 4-6pm right off Kaanapali Beach - we saw many whales - a group of four right off the side of the boat.
We drove the road to Hana with Valley Isle Excursions. The tour guide grew up there and knew her stuff! We saw many waterfalls and beautiful sights (it rained some, but the 7 sacred pools were flowing!) The road around the back of the island was open, so we traveled around the entire south side of the island and back in 12 hours! They offered a continental breakfast and a nice chicken lunch. I recommend you take a tour the first trip to Hana - the road has some very dangerous, narrow spots over cliffs, so the driver MUST focus on the road and not sightsee. Plus, the guide knows the best spots to stop, and does not waste time finding them. I would feel comfortable driving myself the second time we go to Hana.
I did golf at Kapalua - Plantation Golf Course, a real highlight of the trip! They have a half-price twilight rate after 1:30pm. Reserve your tee time well in advance online. The Plantation GC has a great restaurant with a great view and reasonable price for lunch. My wife had a manicure and shopped at the Westin while I was golfing - the spa at the Sheraton is being remodeled, and is almost finished.
We did relax by the pool at the Sheraton and hang out on our lanai often. We did not pack in too many daily activities - we were able to unwind and relax a lot on this trip with a true sense of being in Hawaii - that is what the Sheraton is best for! It was the perfect anniversary vacation for us - don't hesitate to stay there - it is paradise. Aloha

• Liked — Hawaiian ambiance, great views, friendly staff, beautiful grounds, snorkeling, romantic location
  • Disliked — Restaurant by pool closed early randomly in the evenings. Cold swimming pool, but tolerable
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

Just returned after 3 wonderfull nights at the Sheraton Maui Resort. I gave it an "above ave." rating rather than "excellent" only because we also stayed at the Four Seasons, and that gets an "excellent". Great stay at the Sheraton. Had a double room in bldg.2 with my wife and 2 daughters. Room was nice size, big bathroom, and spotless. Housekeeping was prompt everyday. Had a refrigerator that we stocked with drinks, and private balcony to watch the ocean from. Check in was a breeze, we arrived late and were lei'd and in our room, bags and all, within 5 minutes. Parking lot was close enough, but for $5 a day we opted for valet. The grounds at the Sheraton are beautiful. Great pool/beach layout with plenty of room for adults and children. The Sheraton has the best, most expansive beach on this side of the island, its more private than further down the strip towards the Hyatt. With the bldg.'s set back the way they are, there is a large lawn and garden area that gives a wide open feeling to the resort, great for lounging and relaxing.
Plenty of options for dining both in the hotel and along the walkway on the beach. The breakfast buffet at the Sheraton has everything you want, it might seem a bit pricey for adults, but my 4yr.old ate free, and the 12yr.old was half price. Ate lunch at the pool cabana, fresh grilled fish, chicken, etc, you can talk to the chef as he grills right outside. We never ate dinner at the hotel, instead opting to eat at the Hula Grill just down the beach(very good), the Old Lahaina Luau one night and in Lahaina another night. You can walk to the Hula from the hotel.
Now, I have to say that I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews on this sight. We stopped by the Sheraton last year to check it out and thought it looked fine, but some of the reviewers really trashed the hotel and staff. We didn't find any of those problems. The hotel was immaculate, the staff was wonderful, always helpful, never rude. Not only do I highly reccomend the Sheraton Maui, I plan on returning for a longer stay next year!

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, great staf, great pool/beach
  • Disliked — nothing, it was great!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton Maui for a week this past Christmas with my husband and our eight year old son. Overall, we had a very nice time.
The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is literally built into Black Rock. The snorkeling right off the beach there is amazing. You go two feet into the water and you are swimming with all these tropical fish! The farther you go out, the more varieties of fish and coral you are able to see. The water was perfectly calm and also very warm, so perfect for all ages. We loved it. It is what we will most remember about our trip to Hawaii. Other memorable experiences in Maui included a whale watching excursion and a submarine trip.
My husband took advantage of the tennis facilities, which he enjoyed. He entered a tournament on Christmas day, and then was set up with people to play with the rest of the time. He enjoyed the opportunity to meet some of the locals
We were pleased with the service. The young women who work at the concierge desk are friendly, upbeat and helpful. One of them even managed to find us a little Christmas tree at the last minute, which my son was very pleased about. Members of the housekeeping staff, also, were pleasant and efficient. Our room, as well as all of the public areas of the hotel, were kept very clean.
What we totally objected to was the food. We thought the breakfast buffet was terrible and overpriced. We started buying our breakfast at the concession in the lobby which was a big improvement, but still a tad expensive. Mostly, we found ourselves walking up the beach for food. Our two favorite restaurants were the Hula Grill at Whaler's Village and the Tropica at the Westin. Both serve excellent food. We also enjoyed Leilani's at the Whaler's Village. Not quite as good as the other two, but still perfectly fine. I must mention that their chocolate layer cake is divine.
One objection I have to Kaanapali beach in general is that it seems like some of the hotels there are just really old and run down. I realize that the Kaanapali beach hotel, which is next door to the Sheraton, gets very good ratings. However, it was depressing to walk past. There was this wierd odor, probably mildew. It almost seemed a bit like a glorified trailer park. Whatever may be its charms, you surely could not sense them as you strolled by it from the beach. (My husband thought it should just be knocked down. He also thought that about the Royal Lahaina, which is on the other side of the Sheraton, and where he played his tennis tournament.)
We decided somewhat last minute to do a Hawaii trip this Christmas, so frankly we were lucky to get in anywhere. I am glad we chose the Sheraton over the Westin because of the amazing snorkeling right out front. Being there with our son, it just made life so much easier.
One thing to be aware of if you are going in the winter is that the pool is not heated, and so was a bit cold. That did not bother us at all, however, because the ocean was warm and the hot tub was lovely.
We were not sure whether we would need a car there, and so did not rent one in advance. As a result, we were unable to get one. Because of the high demand, one rental agency actually tried to get my husband to pay $110/day. It would have been nice to have a car, so do be sure to book ahead. One of the people my husband met playing tennis recommended some interesting restaurants in Lahaina, which we definitely would have liked to have checked out if we had been able to drive to them ourselves, instead of having to pay $20 each way for a cab, or having to conform to that shuttle schedule.
Whenever one goes to a place for the first time, there sometimes are a few glitches, such as what I just described. If we ever do decide to return to Maui, or to the Sheraton, we will know more, so it will be different.
Overall, however, we felt that the Sheraton was a relaxing, feel good place to stay. We would recommend it to others, particularly to people with kids.

• Liked — The location. The snorkeling was amazing.
  • Disliked — The food was horrible and overpriced.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

My husband and I stayed five nights at the Sheraton Maui after receiving a mail offer last summer. Our offer was $739 for 5 nights in a garden view room, $75 in hotel certificates and $185 towards an Avis rental car. When we checked in, we were upgraded to an ocean view room for no extra charge. However, when we checked out the room (3134 on the ground level of building three), we heard an elevator noise and opted to switch rooms. We ended up paying an additional $75 per night for a higher level ocean view room in building four (4036). Definitely worth the extra money for a superb view. The front desk also threw in a complimentary bottle of champagne. I'll briefly list the positives and negatives of our stay to help anyone out who may be considering staying here. This was our 6th trip to Maui and probably our 15th trip to Hawaii so I feel I have a fair amount of other experiences to compare this one with.

Positives:
1. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! The setting in front of Black Rock is stunning. You've got fabulous snorkeling and diving right there. In addition to colorful fish, we saw octopus, eels, turtles, squid and a white tip reef shark all around Black Rock. Since the Sheraton is the last hotel in the string of main Kaanapali hotels it feels a little more peaceful and less busy than some of the other hotels. However, it's no more than a ten minute walk to Whaler's Village for restaurants and shopping.
2. Beach: The beach is wide with plenty of sand for everyone here. In front of the Westin and parts of the Marriott Ocean Club it's eroded significantly. In fact, the concrete walking path has washed away, too, in parts. The water in front of the Sheraton is free of sea grass and debris, beautifully clear. The water in the eroded areas was murky looking and very churned up.
3. Employees: I'd read a few reviews of the Sheraton where people complained of apathetic or even rude employees. Not our experience at all. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Even the cleaning staff gave a smile and an "Aloha" greeting when we'd walk by in the hall.
4. A timeshare invite, but no pressure: We were offered a 90 minute presentation for an additional $100 in certs and 7,500 Starwood pts. We declined and that was the end of it.
5. Fitness Center: Clean, new equipment. Space was roomy and clean.
6. Sundowner Bar at the pool: Happy hour daily at 3:00. Lunches we ordered here we're really good and fairly generous portions. Fish and chips was delicious.
7. A1 Scuba: I got my open water certification at the resort through A1 scuba. Super communication ahead of time to set it up, and my instructor was patient and a great teacher. Highly recommend them.

Room for Improvement:
Check in: The hotel is currently remodeling the check in area so check in was at a makeshift desk with two employees on laptops. Employees were friendly, but the computers seemed very slow and I felt bad for others who were waiting behind us for probably 10 mins.
2. Rooms: Looking a little tired. First room they put us in had a big splotch of paint on the bathroom counter. Blowdryer in bathroom was very dirty with dust, makeup, etc.. Bed was comfy, but they put a down comforter on the bed, no blanket. Why would you want a down comforter in Hawaii? We requested a blanket instead which was perfect with the AC on.
3. Pool: Seemed a little small for a large hotel. We enjoyed it, but if they ever do another major remodel I'd suggest expanding the pool area and using some of the lawn area for pool instead.
4. Wow Factor: The Sheraton is a nice hotel, but if you're looking for extravagance you won't find it here. The Wow factor for me is in the location, not the property itself.
5. Soundproofing: If you're sensitive to noise, I'd bring earplugs for sleeping. The hallway outside our room backed up to black rock and I think the acoustics are such that you hear people walking, wheeling their luggage, etc.. Also, the people in the room above us seemed to be moving furniture one night...very noisy.

I'd recommend this property to anyone looking for a hotel with the best location on Kaanapali. If the beach is not a priority for you, and you'd prefer a better pool, consider the Westin instead.

Last, we were into inexpensive dining on this trip so we could put our money into activities. I'll post separate restaurant reviews, but definitely look into the following restaurants for tasty, inexpensive (by Maui standards) food: Honokowai Okazuya, Gazebo, Cilantro, Barefoot Grill (at Hula Grill), and even the food court at Whaler's village. We shared a pizza and a Greek salad there that was pretty decent for a food court.

Overall, fabulous experience at the Sheraton and a great value for the money. We'll be back!

• Liked — Location and beach
  • Disliked — noise from hallway
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!