“Relaxing, spectacular views” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
San Diego, California
“Relaxing, spectacular views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and i Stayed at the Sheraton Kaanapali on our honeymoon! We had booked with SPG points, but upon check in were able to upgrade from a garden (parking lot and tennis court) view, to the most amazing ocean view room for a small price... It was well worth paying the upgrade! We went to sleep every night to the crashing of waves and woke up each morning to the beautiful blue waves crashing against the beach. I loved this room!
We love to just relax on loungers and lay out all day and were able to easily find lounge chairs facing the beach, each morning. We didn't feel as if we were sitting on top of other people. The drinks were great, but a little pricey (but what isn't pricey in Maui?). The food was good as well. We ate at the TepanDAN, and it was fabulous! Overall, 4 stars!!

Room Tip: For those who want a really "quiet" getaway, the most expensive rooms on the bluff, buildi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Aloha and congratulations on your recent nuptials! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your honeymoon at our beautiful resort. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next special occasion.

2,771 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
Oakdale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I came to this hotel with high expectations and mostly they were met. My wife and I stayed here for a week. It started out bad with the hotel telling us that we would have a King bedroom room. I called ahead to let them know our flight was delayed 5 hours due to mechanical. The hotel stated they would save our room. When we arrived after a long exhausting day, we found our room was given away. We asked to change to a king bed. They said they couldn't make that happen until two days in. We asked for an ocean view and they told us it would be $50 extra a night. I am very glad we said yes.

This room was much better with a larger balcony and a view of the beautiful ocean. The view of the ocean is indeed awesome! We did not get a chance to check out the spa. As far as location goes, this was perfect as it was near the Royal Lahaina Luau (go!!!! it's worth it!!!) and was near Whalers Village and Lahaina Shopping. The front desk was not very helpful in a lot of different things. We rented a vehicle from Enterprise and I dropped the keys off with them, they told me to go re-park it! I was stunned! However, Valet service was always very helpful! They were the best! I tip $2 per use and it was $5 a night to use it all day (definitely worth it as opposed to parking it in the garage). Valet re-parked my vehicle without question. I loved the valet. Use them and tip them well! Front desk could work on their "customer is always right" approach.

Enterprise rental car is located inside the hotel. If you come here from the airport, call Executive Transportation ($54 one way from airport versus $97 I paid taxi to do the same thing). And very nice ride! Make arrangements with Entperprise before hand. After a long exhausting and a trip we just wanted to leave from after the way the front desk treated us, Enterprise surprised us with not giving us a boring Sebring, but a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro convertible. (BTW, everyone has a Convertible. Get one. You won't be sorry!) Thanks Enterprise!

Breakfast buffet was stacked and awesome. Did this on our last day and was stuffed! Great food and service. Totally worth the $29 per person.

Beach was awesome. However, don't rent from them as the prices are outrageous. Jump in your convertible and go to the Snorkel Shop nearby. We went snorkeling elsewhere, but my wife and I got body boards for $10 total. Great price. But find another place to go body boarding. The beach is warm and nice looking enough to float around in the water, but the waves break too close to shore to actually body board.

Maid randomly walked in on me while we were changing. Did not even knock or anything! I thought it was very rude and they had already cleaned our room! We yelled at them asking what in the world they were doing and they said, "Uh, just checking?" Ridiculous. We wanted a late checkout and so we didn't bother complaining about it.

Despite the negatives, I would stay. To re-cap, get an ocean room king, eat the breakfast buffet, use the valet and tip them well as they are the nicest in the whole hotel. I would stay here again, but might try somewhere on the otherside of the island next time.

Room Tip: I highly suggest getting a room that starts with the letter three or four facing the ocean. The res...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your detailed review from your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you had a nice stay, and appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Lynden, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We rushed up to the valet and said where is the bar? we needed to see the end of the NFC championship game. He kindly directed us to the pool side bar and it was fun. My Seahawks held on and gave me a great start to my Maui vacation. After accepting congratulations from some great sports from San Francisco we headed to the front desk to check into this paradise. Gabe checked us in and was a very friendly young man who represented his hotel well. I loved the grounds, this place is huge. Awesome pool that got a winding river type layout. You can see the ocean from the pool which is always nice. Being on the end of the great kaanapali beach is a good spot. The black rock beach is one of the best. I would love to go back and would recommend the Sheraton to all.

Room Tip: Know that it can be a long walk to your room in many cases but if walking is not a problem it is a b...
Aloha,

We are excited to hear how great your stay was at our beautiful resort. Thank you for taking the time to share your story. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We just got back from our 4 night stay in the Ohana Suite. Beautiful hotel with great pool for kids and easy access to public beach. My family and I loved it there! Incredibly fun, spacious and clean. The hotel staff were very kind and pleasant the entire time. All except one waiter in the Black Rock restaurant. We went there for dinner to fill our 2 kids up after a long day of swimming but my husband and I already ate at the Cliff Dive bar. We felt like because we weren't ordering a lot of food the waiter wasn't going to give us his full attention. It's unfortunate because our family spent $75 even without ordering complete entrees. We were fairly disappointed in the service especially after we'd been treated so well during the breakfast buffet and at the 2 beach bars. My husband works in the service industry so we don't shaft on tips. We decided not to go back to the restaurants for the rest of the hotel stay for dinner. Just hit up the nearby eateries which are twice as yummy and half the price. Concierge is super helpful in suggesting local spots to dine at! Honu being one of them!!

Stayed January 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay in our Ohana Suite. We apologize for the lack of customer service you experienced at our restaurant. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the issue. Your feedback will be shared with our food and beverage department. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful resort again soon.

Gilbert
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights and we absolutely loved it. Room (family suite) was spacious and comfortable.

Pluses:
Huge closet which was a big plus, lots of hangers.

Small fridge and great food storage area.

Bathroom was nice and well stocked (really appreciated the shower gel and poof!!), great shower.

Comfy beds, great view.

Pool was awesome!

Right next to black rock, so awesome location. Walked out to the beach.

MINUSES:
DO NOT leave items on the beach, I had a pair of new sandals stolen from the beach when I was out for a walk. :(

No screens on the sliding glass doors, so you can't sleep with the door open/fresh ocean breeze.

No desk in the room....

Resort fee was a little high and wifi didn't work in our room.

Other than that - great experience and staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay in one of our Ohana Suites. We appreciate your feedback and will review it with our team. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We were fortunate to visit Maui and stay at the Sheraton in the Kaanapali area for a last-minute getaway in early November 2013. Having visited before, I knew that the Kaanapali beach was the perfect place to stay as it is in the resort area, near Black Rock for snorkeling, close to Lahaina for restaurants, bars, and shopping, and fairly close to Napili and Kapalua for dining and a change of scenery. Overall, my wife and I were pleased with the property and the hotel employees were very friendly and exuded the Aloha spirit from the moment we arrived all the way until we sadly departed. There was nothing special about the room which had a partial ocean view. I did, however, appreciate the morning view of the mountains with the sound of the waves gently crashing along the shore. We enjoyed the long stretch of golden beach bordering the resort and warm Pacific Ocean. The resort is blessed to have Black Rock as part of its property, which is a snorkel sanctuary in and of itself and a feeding ground for the native green turtles. We saw a minimum of 10 turtles swim right up on the shore. Be advised that it's against the law to touch or be too close to the turtles and there is no shortage of locals and bystanders who will remind you of that. Aside from the proximity to Kaanapali beach and the calm waters, the resort has a decent pool and a lazy river meandering through a portion of the property. The property itself is beautifully maintained. My wife and I only ate once at the resort the first evening as we arrived late and most of the other dining options were closed. The food was average at best and definitely overpriced. Rather than succumb to the tourist trap of eating at the resort or the nearby Whaler's Village, we ventured elsewhere and located eateries frequented by locals. That is not to say we did not eat at well-known places, such as, Mama's Fish House, Hailemaile General Store, Sansei, and others. We thoroughly enjoyed them. The only "issue" we had was with the WiFi, but that was due to an odd mishap and was quickly remedied by the hotel staff. All in all, it was a great trip and a very nice resort, but just a bit pricey in my opinion. If I had to do it again, I would find a vacation rental like a did the first time in Maui.

Room Tip: Premium for ocean view, but hardly in the room as we're out enjoying the beach itself.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Had a 2 night stay here over Christmas. The hotel was expectedly busy.
Firstly, SPG Platinum guests check in at the bell desk. Thats not particularly great because then no one explains to you what benefits you have at the hotel. For instance, valet is complimentary for Plats. Something I only found out on day 2. There are drink specials at the bar...something like all day $6 drink specials for Plats....something I find out on the day of departure. So yeah....go check in at the front desk and specifically ask them what your benefits are.

Since we were pre checked in due to getting everything from the bell desk, we headed to our room. Now this hotel is massive so expect long walk times. As a note, the best views are in building 3 and 4, 4 having better views than 3.

Room is whatever...smallish, regular bathroom etc. Nothing to note really. View is good. No plugs by the bed to charge anything, and limited ones in room. Toiletries are the usual and are whatever. Go and ask for water at the front desk and am told you only get 2 a day. Seriously...what are we in prison? And whats the stupid $30/day resort fee for if it wont even get me a 0.25c bottle of water. Go to bell desk and ask for water...sees platinum band...asks how many, i say 8...doesn't even bat an eyelid...says coming right up. Same deal with towels...just get em from the bell desk, and as many as you need. Valet is comped for Plats or something like $5 or 7 for everyone else. If you are in biulding 3 or 4, take valet. Its a long long walk.

Asked the hotel about waiving the resort fee or reducing it on account that im platinum. Internet is free for me anyways so why am I paying for it? Their answer...you get to use the upgraded internet for free. Ummm did you think I came to Hawaii to watch Netflix? What am I supposed to do with upgraded internet. This is a ripoff charge in general.

The beach in front of the hotel is very nice. The sad part is all the amenities are run by a private company. So its very pricey. Everything is charged from chairs to umbrellas to snorkel gear. The snorkel gear is pricey...$20 per day. Skip them. Instead there is a store called The Snorkel Store just a little outside the hotel. Ask them for their 2 for 1 deal...the guys name is K2. Great guys there, $20 for a week! Cant beat that. 2 locations as well. Dont pay 20$ a day at the sheraton when you can get it from these guys and go all over the island for a week snorkeling for the same price.

The pool situation is awful. Everyone takes up chairs and throws towels on them. And then don't come back. There is hardly anyone clearing it up. I walked the entire pool complex looking for a chair and gave up. Hotel needs to be more proactive about this.

Breakfast is alright....the continental breakfast is comped for platinums. Fresh fruit selection and pastries etc. Up charge of $8 for the full buffet. Pretty crowded at breakfast since you dont have too many options within without going outside the hotel. The neighboring mall doesnt have a lot of options either but there is a subway and a taco place that are reasonably priced.

Wifi worked just fine at the hotel, no issues there. Snorkeling at the beach is actually excellent with calm waters and no rocks. The resort fee is a ripoff. I am 50-50 on whether i would go back, especially when you have the option of staying at the Andaz in Wailea.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in building 3 or 4 and higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Our guest's happiness is our top priority, and guest feedback is always appreciated. Your feedback will be reviewed and used as a tool to better our customer service in the future. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Guest Experience Team

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!