“We loved Lahaina” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bloomington, MN
“We loved Lahaina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2004

We just returned from the Sheraton Maui Hotel also. We checked in on Valentines Day and were very happy to find out that out partial ocean view room was upgraded to a deluxe ocean view on the ground floor of building 6 which was on the back side of the black rock. (3 elevators to get to the beach from buildings 5 and 6 but probably only 300 steps to get to the beach. I didn't think it was that bad. It was quiet with private parking.) Every morning we would watch the whales from our lanai and feed the birds. The grounds are beautiful, the beach is one of the best I've seen at a hotel in Hawaii, and the pool is fun. It meanders through the grounds of the hotel with a hot tub and a kiddy slide. The hotel staff has the "aloha" down. They are very nice and helpful. I also met several guests there that were willing to be social, it was a very friendly environment where people just went to relax. The Torch Lighting Ceremony was fun. Drinks at the pool bars are half price during the day making it almost affordable. It seemed like one pool bar had half price from 1:00-3:30 and then the other pool bar had half price for a couple hours after 3:30. The hotel was one of the first built in the area. Our room was clean and updated but the fixtures were original, which was fine. For restaurants, we went to Kimo?s. It was good but I've had better. I thought the portion of fish was small. It was one of the most popular restaurants for diner. Reservations recommended or expect to wait after 5:30. Longhi's was ok. The clams and fish were a little fishy tasting. Both are expensive. If you want a cheep breakfast & dinner & early bird specials, McGillacudy's, upstairs across the street from Kimo's. I liked Cheeseburger in Paradise also, nice view, & evening entertainment. We also liked Giovanni's, on the left as you turn towards the Sheraton off the main road. We like their pizza. If you are willing to drive a about 40 minutes, Joe's in Wailea is expensive $20-32 a plate but has great seafood. I generally don't like the Wailea area, too snobby, but Joe's is great. The Lahaina area is much nicer, friendly, relaxing. I like shopping along the ocean-side boardwalk. Other things to do, we took a day trip to Molokai, taking the ferry in the morning, renting a car there, (Try to get one through Budget if you can. The one we were given through an agency other than Budget had about 75,000 on it. It was basically an island bomb but it got us where we needed to go.) driving seeing the island, and taking the 2pm ferry back. It was nice, the people were friendly and we had huge beautiful beaches to ourselves. We took the Fair Winds II to Molikini. It was a fun trip; we saw LOTS of whales and the captain had a really funny personality. It was one of the bigger, seemed less crowded boat going there. For driving, we liked the road to Hana, several waterfalls, red sand (Koki Beach) & black sand beaches. It will take you about 3 hours to get to the Sacred Pools though. The road is a small 2 lane, most bridges are 1 lane. People drive slow and are courteous. The road north of Lahaina going through Honokowai is more dangerous, few guardrails, one lane portions that are mountain on one side and cliff on the other. The road is paved but it is a little unnerving especially when meeting other cars. Overall, the trip was wonderful and I would go back this moment if I could.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2004

My wife and I spent a week at the Sheraton Maui in May 2003. Our room was spectacular, with a beautiful ocean view, and was easily twice the size of the typical hotel room. (We paid for ocean view and may have been upgraded.) Check in was seemless, with the bellman meeting us at our car and taking us directly to our room. Service throughout our stay was friendly and attentive. This hotel is one of the oldest in Maui, but was completely renovated in recent years and the public areas, while not plush, are definitely worthy of a five star resort. In my opinion, the hotel has one of the best locations on the beach - at the quiet end with Black Rock, but within easy walking distance of Whaler's Village, the Westin, the Hyatt, etc. Its pools, while beautiful, are not as elaborate of those of its sister property the Westin. Thus, there are fewer families with children at the Sheraton. However, guests of the Sheraton have full access to the facilities at the Westin and other Starwood properties on Maui. We have visited beautiful resorts around the world, and would happily return to the Sheraton Maui.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2004

We just returned from a trip to Maui and Kauai and stayed here for a total of three days. We bid this on Priceline one month prior and ended up getting it for the rate that seems to be pretty common for it. We were getting married on Maui and were hoping to get a nice room for the stay. My fiance' called ahead and added her Starwood card number to the reservation with the hope of getting some priority but was not too optimistic based on the tone of the girl on the other end.

When we checked in, the place was nearly full (Valentine's Day weekend and President's Day weekend) so we were given a garden view room on the second floor of building two facing the tennis courts and a double bed but were told that if we called them Saturday morning (our wedding day), we could probably be accommodated for an upgrade. We weren't overly optimistic since it was Valentine's day and we figured the rooms would probably be packed by then too.

We were wrong.

We got back late in the day after our wedding festivities concluded and we were upgraded to a magnificent ocean view room suite in the building on top of Black Rock, overlooking the ocean, the entire resort grounds and all of Kaanapali. The room had a private entry shared with one other, much smaller room and ours was about 1500+ square feet with a patio that was close to the size of the entire room we were just upgraded from. They brought up a complimentary bottle of champagne and we relaxed in the room for the remainder of the evening. The most amazing room I'd ever stayed in; easily a $1000/night plus room.

All in all, the first two nights we probably could have pushed for a better room if we had wanted but the last night completely made up for it. The staff was extremely helpful and kind once we arrived, the grounds were immaculate and there are numerous things to do on site or by walking down to Whaler's Village (shops and restaurants) about 5-10 minutes down the pathway.

Don't be bashful in asking them what you want...they will try to accommodate you however they can and went out of their way for us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2004

After reading all the reviews here, it was with much trepidation that I booked us at the Sheraton. The Hyatt was sold out and the Westin was priced much higher. After all the research, the best rate I could find (35% off being a Starwood member) was $289 for a partial ocean view. I would have booked a garden view for $227 except that all the king beds in that category were sold out. I think they just tell you that so you have to pay for the next category higher. Because I am a Starwood member I was banking on getting a free upgrade as everyone seems to get upon checkin. Checking in was fairly painless, the valet personnel is exceptional! When I checked in, I asked if I was being upgraded and they said no that the hotel was sold out. There begins the bad mood.
Now I feel ripped off for paying $289 for a partial ocean view. I even asked if I could pay for an uprade, no again. I do think the grounds are lovely and the other common areas of the hotel. So now I am in a bad mood. I get to my room and I can't believe my eyes. It is literally slightly bigger than an average bedroom. The bathroom is so tiny that there is hardly enough room to turn around in. It truly looked like a Holiday Inn room. I was so disappoined. There was virtually no lanai.
Only a tiny one with a little chair. The prices they charge at this hotel are astronomical. I had just stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea for the same price and got a huge suite with fabulous service. I will never stay at the Sheraton again and I would advise everyone else to look elsewhere. It was only later that I heard you can hit the Sheraton on Priceline for $140, then it might be worth it. I would suggest staying at the Hyatt. We looked at a room there and they were gorgeous. It might cost a little more but at least you don't feel like you were ripped off. I hope people who read this take it seriously. I consider myself an expert on rating hotels and this one completely let me down.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2004

went to the Maui Sheraton in August 2002 for the second part of our Hawaiian vacation. It really ruined the vacation. The lobby was not all that impressive. When we got to our room is smell like urine and there was no lanai as promissed. We did not even let the bell hop leave and called the front desk. I was told that there were no more rooms in my category and that we would have to stay there. I told them that this was unacceptable to either find another room or upgrade me. After 20 minutes the front desk called back and said that the found another room. We went to our room and it felt damp but my wife and I said we would try it. The veiw was of the tennis courts, garbage bins and golf course. I must say though that the beach was magnificent. Although you had to pay 15 dollars a day per person for a lounge chair. That was outragoeous, so we went to the local ABC store and purchased a beach mat. The worst was yet to come, our room was infested by roaches. My wife and I were horrified. We had the creeps staying in that room. We decided not to switch rooms because we did not want to spend a few hours of our precious time packing and unpacking. When I went to see management about it they took a very cavalier attitude about it and suggested that they were some other bugs and not roaches. The nerve.
The only thing they offered me was a refund on my $12.50 resort fee for the days that I spent there. I did not feel that this was right. I spent Thousands Going to this supposed First Class hotel and accept for the natural surroundings it could have been any roadside motor lodge.
When I came home I wrote a letter to the General Manager and after 2 months got a reply. They gave me 10,000 Starwood points which would not even cover a night in this hotel or other first class starwood properties. My Vacation was ruined. I would not recomend this hotel at all. But stay at one close by and use the beach as everyone else does.

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!