“Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego
“Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel's location is perfect. Right on the beach and wthin an easy walk of Whalers Village with its shops and restaurants. However, it charges the highest Resort Charge I have ever seen, for practically nothing except internet. I wish they would incorporate this into the room rate and do away with the annoyance. The pool does get a lot of non-hotel guests, people who just walk in from other locations and use the loungers and pool facilities. The pool staff do a very poor job of controlling this. They would just walk up to people who clearly did not have hotel towels and say "are you a guest" and if the person said yes, give them a wristband. No request for room key or room number. I suspect the bar staff like the extra business. One day a very loud group of almost a dozen non-guests showed up and even called their friends from other hotels to come over, still no action from the pool staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here this past summer with our daughter but I would be hesitant to stay here again. We stayed a couple of weeks at our timeshare at the Marriott Ocean Club prior to our stay at the Sheraton and can say that I much prefer the Marriott. We used Starwood points to stay here, so we actually had a choice between the Sheraton, the Westin Maui and the Westin Villas but I wished we would have chosen the Westin Villas instead since it is the newest property of the three (though it isn't in Whaler's Village area like the Sheraton or the other Westin). This property had a wonderful lazy river pool but the lounges around the pool were cramped and most were not shaded. I never felt very comfortable lounging by the pool.

As for the rooms, they are in desperate need of an upgrade. I believe the property recently underwent a renovation but I don't think it was up to par. The bathrooms felt like they were from the 60's and so did the closet areas. I truly felt like I was staying in a budget motel situated on gorgeous grounds. Also, our room was really far away from the pool, so if you don't like to walk 10 mins to the pool, I would suggest requesting a location close by. On the plus side, I believe all of the rooms on the property have an ocean view, however I was a little disappointed since I used extra points for an ocean view when I doubt this was necessary...I wished Starwood would have told me this when booking so I didn't waste my points.

All in all, this property is very beautiful on the outside with nicely manicured grounds, but I think I would try another resort the next time around.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Monroe Township
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this resort four times with plans to return in two years. This is a beautiful resort and we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. The pool is unbelievably large and it meanders around. The property is gorgeous and the staff is eager to please everyone. The restaurant is beautiful with a fantastic buffet breakfast with something for everyone. The rooms are also beautiful and elegant. We always get a view of Kaanapali Beach. From there we can look down at the pool, some of the property of the hotel, and straight ahead, we can see all the way down Kaanapali Beach with the ocean on the right. When we look down Kaanapali Beach, we can see all of the other resorts. It really is a postcard picture. Every night at 5:00, there is a ceremony which starts off the evening. A diver comes out dressed in Hawaiian attire and has a torch he carries while running and light all of the torches on the property. He then climbs up the "Black Rock" which is where this hotel gets it's nickname. It is a large lava rock. When he gets up there, he does some kind of ritual, throws his torch in the water, and dives off. This is a ceremony that has been done there for years and it's quite nice to watch. There is always a hula dancer down by the pool at this time as well. The restaurant in the hotel is really nice but if you want to go someplace else, you can walk down to Whaler's Village which is a nice walk about 10 minutes and there are beautiful shops and plenty of restaurants there. Lahaina is an old whaling town about 15 minutes away where there are so many wonderful shops and also lots of restaurants. Lahaina is the town where the missionaries landed years ago to bring religion to the Hawaiians. Read the book "Hawaii" by James Michener to learn more about that. My opinion is that this hotel is better for couples than families with children. We have seen children there but not that many. There are other hotels down the beach where they have more for children like slides into the pool and such. On our last day there after we checked out, we had all day to stay there before we had to go to the airport and there was a place to shower and get ready which was really nice. We love it here and look forward to our return.

Room Tip: If you like complete privacy, ask for a full ocean view room. You will see absolutely nothing but t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel has a great location next to black rock. Great snorkeling there and nice pool. Bell staff was great and pool/ bar staff was great. During our stay, however, the Starwood resort salespeople called twice to get us to take a condo tour. The second time after we turned down the first tour offer we thought was for something else so we went to pick up our free chocolates on our anniversary. That saleswoman was somewhat rude to us on our anniversary pressuring us to take the tour. Also at breakfast the service was slow and terrible especially considering $26 for an omelet. Several tables left with food for the birds to swarm while the restaurant wasn't even busy. I could see why. If the restaurant offered good value it would be packed given the location. Rest of the staff was helpful except for the front desk when we asked for late checkout. They seemed put out and were wishy washy if it was available. At one point they gave us an hour complimentary but then wanted to charge $75 for an extra 2 hours after we spent $4800 on our stay. Then they said it was sold out and not even available (although if I wanted to stay a whole extra day I could? Weird). Overall we had a great stay just a few things that can be improved upon for almost $5,000.

Room Tip: Paid 479 for an ocean view room. Well worth it if you want to splurge.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were at the Sheraton the week of December 10. My husband was attending a conference and I was lucky enough to join. The hotel turned out to be a wonderful surprise! Our room was fantastic with amazing views of the ocean. The staff was really exceptional. We were greeted by Brittany at check in. She was really lovely. Paulina the housekeeper did a wonderful job in our room. Our room was EXTRORDINARY...really lovely. Hard to leave it was so great. Also the location is great because you can walk along the footpath to Whaler's Village to grab a bite or do a bit of shopping. All in all a great experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a swell place for families to go! Beach & pools are nice. The views are amazing & location is close to lots of great eats options. Less than impressed with the breakfast buffet but it did have lots of options.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Black Rock for 4 nights, January 2013. The resort if wonderful and rooms clean. The Grounds, pool and pool bars are beautiful. Make sure you snorkel out front, as you will swim with many fish and green sea turtles. The turtles come very close to shore also. We were there for a convention meeting and the food and service was outstanding. We loved the location of this hotel, and the shuttle to Lahaina for some nice shopping and food.The drinks at the pool bar were expensive but cheaper during happy hour.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!