“Good stay, but not AMAZING” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #22 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Vancouver, Canada
“Good stay, but not AMAZING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We arrived very late in the evening after a day of travelling. We were given a room on a higher floor, right next to the elevator which made a lot of noise throughout the night, keeping us awake. The next morning, we called to the front desk and got moved to another room....just three doors away, facing the same way (for the trouble, and lack of sleep, I would have expected to maybe be moved to suite with a better view). We waited for 45 minutes for the bellhop to come and move us over, which cut into our morning time. After that, our stay was nice, quiet and relaxing.
The rooms are ok, but nothing special in terms of decor.
DON'T bother with the "deal" of the breakfast in the hotel (unless you're really hungry!). It's supposed to be 2 for 1, but they charge an extra fee that jacks the price up nearly to what it would be for two to begin with (if that makes sense). It was good, though!
One of the pool bars was closed during our stay, which was disappointing.

Room Tip: Stay AWAY from the elevators if you can help it. They are loud. Maybe stay off the rock portion of...

2,771 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
Golden, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

After extensive research I opted for this property over the Hyatt and Westin. I am SPG and Hyatt Platinum but the decider was Blackrock as it looked intriguing. Big mistake. The room in Bldg. 6 was the equivalent of a Sheraton in Rock Island or Peoria, IL. Plastic glasses, drab decor, zero special qualities in what is supposed to be a premier "resort experience." There was one good thing -- Mac the breakfast waiter got it right as he was most cordial, attentive and "up." Too bad the rest of the staff has little clue.

We were convinced that the problem at this property is poor executive management. From the housekeeping staff to security, to front desk to beach -- the level of indifference is astonishing. It's not that they're hostile or abrupt, it is very much as if no one has trained them in typical resort service. Every day was an adventure with housekeeping -- no washcloths, no coffee, 10 coffee service packets, extra towels, shortage of towels...ZERO cleaning on the lanai which was liberally covered with bird waste. I waited three days to see if they would wipe the droppings off the cushions on the lanai...I gave up and did it myself. When I asked for coffee, as none had been supplied, the gent who showed up simply handed them to me and walked off without uttering a word.

Where we did get plenty of interchange was from the peddlers of the timeshares and condos. Three consecutive days we had phone messages to drop by to pick up this or that, and this was after we told the desk in the lobby that we were not interested. They gave us a fabric bag but the handle tore off.

Building 6 is three elevator rides away from poolside and the trek becomes tedious quickly. Though the view of Lanai from the 5th floor is nice, it would be just as good from one of the main buildings and the death march would be eliminated. The rooms desperately need updating and $400++ a night is ridiculous. We went down to the Hyatt to compare and a corner king with a wraparound lanai and full ocean view was $75 less per night and the property is most attractive with a great open air center court with birds from parrots to penguins and flowers galore. The Sheraton has almost no flowers.

The dinner in the Sheraton was poor and expensive, the breakfast buffet has the appearance of a chow line in a college dorm. Presentation is on steam tables and the lighting is depressing. Happily the gentleman preparing omlettes is capable. Service at both meals except for the aforementioned Mac was indifferent. We had four days of unused breakfast certificates, preferring to purchase some pastries at a grocery in Lahaina.

The beach is a good one and it is entertaining watching divers off of blackrock. Snorkeling was good but the price is stiff and be aware that the beach has all kinds on it as all Hawaii beaches are public. The swimming pool is not heated so be prepared for a shock.

When we first saw our room, my wife looked at me and said "D." I would have left but she did not want to go through the hassle. It smelled musty and did not feel particularly clean...so...we spent a lot of time off property and out of the room as much as possible. We found Maui's attractions delightful, but after progressively worse accomodations at the islands Sheratons we will never stay at one again...Keahou was okay, Waikiki was a downer and this was really poor.

After reading responses to reviews from the hotel about passing on comments, I hope the guest services team informs senior management that they need to help employees perform with a proactive training regime across the board. Beware of those just going through the motions, this hotel is riddled with them and is not recommended.

One final note, we paid an additional $150 for a 6pm checkout. When we came back from the pool to pack and clear out, our keys did not work and it took us a half hour to get back in as the lone security guard equipped to let us in was "far away" according to the operator. Just one more example of poor training and execution.

Room Tip: Get in one of the main buildings facing the ocean...the trip for Building 6 is tedious
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are disappointed to hear about your unpleasant stay. Our guest's happiness is our top priority, so we truly appreciate your feedback.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were here for just one night. It was fine, just really expensive. If there was a 3.5 star option I would award that.

The $30 resort fee is required even when staying on points. Our breakfast buffet, even with a 2 for 1 was over $100 (although it was really good). Rooms are smallish, which is expected and the grounds are beautiful (also expected).

My big peeve with them was the staffing. We got in late after a delayed flight and they had one valet and one desk person working. We waited about 20 - 25 minutes to check in which seems outrageous to me even at 11:30pm on a Friday. Seems like if they cross trained the valet things could go a lot smoother and faster.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Aloha,

Mahalo for sharing your feedback. We are happy you had a nice stay, and apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Thank you for the tip about the late check-in and our front office staffing. We will be sure to share your suggestion with our team. We hope that you will give our resort another opportunity in the future.

Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had my doubts about this place when planning my trip, but in the end it was very sad to leave.

SERVICE AND LOCATION....When I initially had my stay booked, the room was an ocean view and I thought it included the breakfast buffet each day. Later I found out that it didn't. When I arrived, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade my ocean view to an ocean front view. The price of the upgrade was very reasonable when compared to the cost of the trip. They put me on the top floor of the building located on the edge of the cliff overlooking the ocean. I would have paid 10 times as much for this view (don't tell them I told you this). I was in paradise for six glorious days.

The staff was very friendly and I could ask anyone my questions and got a great answer. Even the sales staff (timeshares) were friendly. They knew that I was not a person who could use their services, yet they made some great recommendations on what to do and where to eat. After leaving, it almost made me want to look at their other properties as they definitely delivered on their suggestions.

The weather for snorkeling wasn't the best, but it was very convenient to walk from the pool to the snorkeling area in less than 15 seconds. Even with the bad weather, you still saw amazing fish and didn't have to pay or tip anyone to take you there.

The buffet is good, but I would try to have it included in your room cost or join their Starwood club and receive 2 for 1 vouchers. At $30 a person, you can't eat enough to feel good about it, even with the awesome bread pudding w/vanilla sauce. There are plenty of other items on the menu other than the buffet to order and the view from the restaurant is priceless.

This place is huge and there are so many areas where you can be by yourselves and enjoy the views, have a drink or just watch the nightly cliff diving ceremony.

If I am fortunate enough to make it back to Maui, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are comfortable with the price of the Ocean Front View, go for it. The only thing looking ou...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I recently spent a week at the Sheraton. We had an Ocean Front room in bldg 6 with a spectacular view. The service and efficiency of everyone we encountered was exactly what one would expect at a nice resort. The only downside to our room was the long walk to any activities or the lobby, but the privacy was worth the walk. My only real complaint about the place is the price of food and drinks. The breakfast buffet at 29.00 pp and other comparable food prices are evidenced by the small numbers of patrons at the eating facilities.

All in all it's a great place!

brigette1972
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

wow wow wow is all i can say about this hotel. THe reception greeted us with friendly service and they up graded our room to a ocean front. The room was so big and clean and the bathroom was fantastic. The bed was a king size bed. The service was great. THe room had a fantastic view of the ocean and the pool. At night they lite up the bamboo sticks with fire and it made the place look a slice out of heaven. The hotel is great location and they offer a courtousy bus that takes you into the town to eat and shop. The hotel is also walking distance 10 mins to whalers village and you will find a couple of places to eat there. I love this hotel and i love maui and will def go back there again. It brought a tear to my eye when we left as it was a such a great place to unwind and relax

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay at our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I were in Maui at the end of November. We called on November 24th seeking a last minute massage. Using a coupon we found in a local tour book, wee were able to book an hour massage for that day for a reasonable price.

The facility was very nice and we both had excellent therapists. We were happy with the massage and wished we had booked a longer time.

This facility is definitely worth checking out!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!