“We're going to need a bigger boat...” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
NYC
“We're going to need a bigger boat...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

First off, let me say we had an overall good time. They take you to the usual places, where you can see some great stuff snorkeling. Also, they were able to locate some spotted dolphins for us, which was one of the highlights of our trip (though they refuse to allow snorkeling if they see dolphins in the area). That being said...

I would definitely go on a larger boat if I were to do this type of excursion again. While they make a big deal of only having a limited number of people on each trip, it does not matter if the boat is so small; we only had 12 people on the zodiac and it was a tight fit. More importantly, though, was that the ride back was *terrible*; the small boat was really slammed by the waves, making it a literally painful experience. Think very hard if you really want to do this in a zodiac. In a larger boat, you have easier access to your camera, etc. (in a zodiac you need to put everything into a common locker, which is not trivial to access).

Remember, all of these tours will show you some great snorkeling. I would just highly suggest you go with an operator that has a standard sized boat, rather than going with a tiny zodiac.

Visited October 2013

Houston, TX
9 attraction reviews
“5 Star Trip, 1 Star Incidents”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I was extremely excited to book with Ultimate Whale Watch to snorkel Lanai. I have snorkeled Molokini multiple times, but never Lanai. I will start out with the bad, but tell you why the trip was amazing.

One: Got a call 5 days before we were supposed to be going on the snorkel trip, I believe it was Nancy from the office called me to tell me that they were supposed to be coming out of dry dock, but the Coast Guard had bumped back the inspection so we would have to go a day later. I work in a marine based industry, so I understand. What I did not understand was her take it or leave it attitude (I had to ask if they were going to refund my almost $250 I spent for 2 people if I could not make it). I had already planned my entire trip and luckily I was able to shift things around. She was not apologetic at all.

Two: After we took our first dive, we realized that they had wet paint and it ruined my girlfriend's and my expensive bathing suits. No warning there was wet heavy duty marine paint on the area where we were sitting.

Three: The "continental breakfast" they promised was a few cut up Costco muffins that were in limited supply. Eat before hand if you book with them and usually eat a big breakfast. Lunch was what is to be expected (sandwiches, fruit, veggies, chips, & cookies). It was filling and good, but if you are a big eater you might bring a snack.

Four: They didn't tell us we had drinks in the cooler until about 2 hours into the trip, one of the customers had to ask if there were drinks for us.

Why it was the most amazing trip: Captain "Eric Church" (don't remember his name but looks like the country singer) was a great captain. He was fun and had a great attitude. Truly had a great command of his vessel. Peter the assistant was so informative and a great guide. I went exploring in a sea cave, saw a blowhole from inside the cave, dove from a small cliff, had the best snorkeling I have had in years (best in Hawaii), great equipment, saw a couple shipwrecks, got to see all of Lanai, and just had a great time.

If it was not for the four things I mentioned, this would have been 5 star all the way. Kills me not to give it, but I was upset about how they handled the change in reservations and our bathing suits being ruined.

Visited October 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Nat. Geo. Up close!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Great tour guide and experience all around.... swim with turtles... get up close to dolphins and even get a chance at touching a squid! Cant wait to come back during whale season ♥

Visited July 2013
West Linn, Oregon
12 attraction reviews
“Great or beginners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Cody and Lacy were incredible. We had someone who had never been snorkeling and was a little afraid of the ocean. Lacy took her under her wing and by the end of the trip our newcomer was as comfortable as the rest of us. The banter was fun and we saw some amazing things. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2013
Sydney
“The highlight of our holiday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!! This tour was by far the highlight of our honeymoon we just couldn't believe how close the whales came to the boat with one breaching just metres away. The captain was fantastic and gave us so much information. Couldn't recommend this tour enough and we will definitely be going back.

Visited February 2013