“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
AZ
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

People everywhere. Crowded, Rooms cramped!
Nice location. Room overlooked dumpster.Noise at night as they emptied and local restaurants took out garbage. Westin could do better but more interested in selling condos. Would not go back unless major changes are made.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everythin else
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Korean first
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

firstof all this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Not only was the staff professional and accommodating the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful and I couldn't have asked for more or should I say it was more than I had expected.
The rooms were very clean and up to date and even though I thought the food was expensive it was good..The beach is to die for..Just perfect.!
The open air lobby with the lagoon type scenary in front of it was so pretty.
If you have complaints on this hotel you obviously expect too much..I for instance like the higher end hotels and this one fit right in.The had someone pick us up at the airport(the small one).It was a beautiful drive there.
The pool was very crowded and people put towels on the chairs and then leave but the staff takes care of that by putting a paper on it with a time stamp as to when they found it vacant and after so long they move the people's stuff and allow other people to sit.
There was the little village next door with all kinds of shops(expensive and inexpensive) a food court and a convenient store like place that came in handy and restaurants too
I usually like to stay at a different hotel when i return to a place but this is one hotel that I plan on staying at when (and I will) return to Maui..
Just try to book far in advance and get a good rate because I didn't and the price was a little high but well worth it.
Rest assured if you choose this hotel you will NOT be disappointed..

• Liked — this hotel has a warm atmosphere and is just a beautiful
  • Disliked — price of the food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

Ok, so this year when we went to Maui...our favorite Island... The beach at Kaanapali is the bomb!, we decided to try a different hotel. This was hard because we fell in love with the Hyatt located just down the beach. The Westin Maui Resort is so similiar to the Hyatt it is hard to say which one is the best, they are so similiar. If you are deciding which one to go to I would have to say, if you have younger kids, 5 years to 7, the Hyatt is better just because they have a small kids beach/pool and slide which allows less worry. The Westin and Hyatts pools are really similiar, but I think the Hyatt has more tropical feel, but the Westin has more room around the pool area and has a better & bigger beach area. The drinks at the Westin aren't what they should be, lack size and flavor, but are still worth the money. Pina Coladas at the Hyatt are better! The breakfast buffet at the Westin is excellent and the hotel is really close to Whalers village which is great at night, you can just stroll over to one of the restaurants next door for dinner. The staff at this hotel are really nice and offer great service. The grounds are awesome here! If you are looking for a Laua,look no further, the Luau here at the Westin is one of the best. The fire show at the end is AWESOME!!! I recommend the surf school located near the Marriot down the beach. They were excellent with my older 11 year old son, I felt he was safe at all times and within walking distance from the hotel. The instructors are local Maui surfers and nice as could be. Again if you are looking for a local place to get some good breakfast, cheaper from the hotel, go to Java Jazz. Just a short drive north of the hotel located in a little shopping center. Awesome music while you have breakfast, enjoy their excellent specialty coffees or a bloody mary. If you get the pancakes, BEWARE!!, they are huge. Share! My last review of the Hyatt, I think I might have mentioned that we did not get a lei greeting or even a Aloha when we arrived, well, not the case at the Westin. We arrived and right away received a lei for a women, and the boys and I received one for guys. The greeter even told us the story behind lei's and gave us a Aloha to the island and resort. Great way to start our stay. If you are thinking of staying here, I highly recommend it, but still stay true to my other review and hope you can enjoy the Hyatt as well, they are both great Hotels on the most awesome beach in Hawaii located in Kaanapali. Aloha!

• Liked — Great pool area, awesome beach area
  • Disliked — Could add something more to drinks, other than that, can't complain.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Granger, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

Just got back this morning. We loved the Westin. Service was stellar, everyone was so nice and helpful. I'm a Starwood Platinum so my stay was with cash and points at 1000 Starpoints and $90.00/night which was a great value. Yes they charge $25.00 a day resort fee, but there is great high speed internet everywhere, parking is free, bottled water is free, and you can take as many towels as you need, even off property. Room was updated with flat screen tv and Starbucks (room #470 in the beach tower). Highly recommended, you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — location and room
  • Disliked — food was expensive, but so is the rest of the island
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

We spent 8 nights at this hotel and found it to be a little disappointing for a Westin.
Pro's - Nice room layout, great to have a small fridge, LOCATION was great and convienient.
Con's - Room was over the parking lot which was noisy at times and we couldn't really sit out due to the smell of fuel from cars. Our room was never cleaned till around 4PM each day and it seemed that it was an afterthought because it was never dusted, never vaccumed and the tub seemed dirty.
As for the 25$ resort service charge, we were supposed to get 2 bottles of water in our room each day. Well on 4 occasions we were not given any and I had to call and have housekeeping bring it up. When they did the guy stood there and expected a tip for what I have already paid for. As for soap they would not replenish it on a frequent basis, at times were were left with a small piece that we needed to use at the sink and then in our shower. So I complained and was given a little attitude at the front desk.
Watch your bill as they do not ask for your room # and Name when you order drinks or food by the pool. We were charged extra for food we never had.
There is a coffee shop in the lobby that charges more than double of what you would normally pay for a cup of coffee elsewhere so we went to Whalers village and there is a great little coffee shop there and the price is much more reasonalble.
The pool area is great but the Adult pool area is small and fills up quite fast each morning with people reserving chairs which we were told that they were not allowed to do so but no one enforced this policy.
We asked the conceirge about the Sheraton's dining menu and they do not have them which I find extremely odd as they are sister hotels. They will have menu's of several other places but not their own???
We asked about the Prime Rib dinner that they were offering and they told us that we should go and no reservations are needed and that they have free valet service for hotel quests that ate at the restaurant otherwise it will be $5.. We went and had our car taken by Valet and then found out that we would have a 2 hour wait for a table. So we insisted that they honour our valet ticket and were given a little attitude. We ended up tipping to get our car back after 5 minutes.
Well needless to say we were a little disappointed and we plan to return to Maui again next year but it will not be at this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

I forgot how helpful reviews are until I started planning my anniversary trip now and felt compelled to comment on my stay at the Westin. First you need to decide if you want to stay on Kaanapali Beach. Once you have made that decision, I feel you would be disappointed with any hotel other then the Westin.

The pools are ridiculous and the adult pool was where we camped out all week.. It was peaceful and not overwhelming since there are a lot of families there. The resort is a perfect size where you can get to your room with in 5 minutes from the pool area but not feel crammed relaxing. The drinks were really not that expensive for Hawaii. You might pay $8-$10 for a mixed drink at the bar but they get your rocked. Never had a problem with service at all. Plus the staff has games at the adult pool where you can win free drink tickets and we def got free drinks everyday.

We went to the local grocery store to buy some deli meats, sushi, and alcohol to use for lunch and eat /drink during the day and before dinner to save a little. It worked out perfect and the fridge is big enough to accomplish just that.

Westin rooms are great. Bed is off the chain. You really don't appreciate it until you are there. We had a great ocean view and the view is def. phenomenal.

The beaches ain't much on Kaanapali beach as you might expect. There is negative beach in front of the Hyatt and were really thankful we didn't stay there. At high tide, there is No beach at the Hyatt.
The beach in front of the Westin is decent and expands as you head towards the Sheraton. Tons of people snorkel down by Black Rock making the beaches much more crowded down there. The Sheraton is a massive resort, looked nice, but pools at the Westin blew them all away. FYI: Don't expect Caribbean like water here like some of the pictures. I did and was surprised. We spent most of our time at the pool anyways because they were great.

The best part about the Westin is it is right near Whaler's Village which has a few restaurants. We ate at Leilani's 3 times it was so good. They basically have 2 restaurants in one and the upstairs, which is more expensive, was worth it (and offers a ridicilous sunset). Plenty of shops to go get essentials that you might need during your trip.
The Hyatt and Sheraton are a good walking distance to Whaler's Village, not too far, but far enough to make iy a 30 min trip if you need something small.

Any other question, just let me know. I try to write just about the hotel and not the excursions, other detais. Enjoy if you go!

• Liked — Pool(s) and location.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We stayed at the Westin for six nights in Jan for our honeymoon - we found a great deal online that we couldn't pass up, but after staying there, we wished we would have shelled out a little more money for a nicer, quieter location.

On the good side, the staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, the pools/beach were beautiful and not as crowded as I expected, and the hotel is right next to Whaler's Village, which has restaurants (Hula Grill is really simple and good) and shops (ABC store is like a general store - we went there a lot for water, medicine, postcards, etc). We also got upgraded from our garden view to a partial ocean view, which was nice of the hotel. Additionally, I came down with bronchitis when we first arrived and the concierge recommended a great walk-in place called Doctors on Call - they are at the Hyatt. It saved my trip!

However, if you are looking for a quiet, tranquil retreat, this is not the place! We had a lot of noise issues, and while I admit I am sensitive about some of that stuff, the drilling at 9 in the morning from the floor above (drape installation) was totally annoying. Management took care of it eventually, but who even wants to have to call and complain about stuff on their vacation? Anyway, if you hate noise and/or go to bed early like us (we were still on east coast time), you might want to give up the view and stay in a room away from the pool and restaurant areas (music goes until 9, sometimes 10 pm) or stay somewhere else.

Overall, I wasn't blown away by the place - it did sort of feel like a cruise or Disneyworld-ish at times as opposed to a serene, tropical getaway - I am sure for a lot of people that is not a problem at all - people with kids will have fun - but a couple looking for a quiet, romantic trip might not feel the same way. If you are that kind of couple, try the Hyatt or maybe one of the places in Wailea.

• Stayed January 2009
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!