“gorgeous view” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
New Zealand
“gorgeous view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights after finishing a cruise. The resort is fabulous - starting with the entrance which looks on to a rocky pool and waterfall with (real) pink flamingos and black swans in residence.
The room (ocean view) was also fabulous. Large with a view to die for, overlooking the rocky waterfall, and the five swimming pools set into the wonderful gardens, and then further to the ocean, and directly West to the sunset. I could have sat on the balcony for hours just watching all the goings-on!
All the staff were friendly and helpful. The resort only has one burger-style restaurant (which had a very good buffet breakfast), but we had hired a car (Mustang Convertible, of course!) and drove 5 minutes down the road to Lahaina township each night where there are lots of restaurants. The concierges at the resort were very helpful in telling us the best restaurants to try. If you don't have a car, the resort has a shuttle service, but as we didn't use it I am not sure about the frequency and route etc.
The pool complex is spectacular with five pools set at different levels amongst palms and gardens. At least one is adults only, and there is a water slide hidden away in the rocky gardens that winds down into the main pool. The kids (and lots of adults) loved it.
Only niggle was that our room was very close to the lifts, and the lift doors were a bit noisy - made a funny groaning noise, when they opened and shut.
We were very sad to leave this lovely place.

Room Tip: We had an Ocean View room on the 9th floor (of 11). At that level we could see over the gardens and...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Korean first
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in June and we were happy to stay at the Westin Maui. They were great in working with me to have a pineapple try and card waiting in our room on our arrival (I love surprising my wife). The following morning when I asked if there were rooms available with a little better view in our tower, the front desk person happily checked, found one and asked if I'd like to look at it. I took a look and it was GREAT!!! They were happy to switch us over and that was a very nice touch. The luau was a great time with lots of food to choose from and great entertainment. We were sad to leave, as anyone who visits Maui would be. We did stay by an elevator, but honestly, its not a big deal, as some reviewers have mentioned. We spent so much time exploring and doing things during the day that it was easy to sleep at night. Enjoy the island and your hotel stay will be equally enjoyable. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher up room, it has a much better view, wherever you are looking
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I gave it 4, but it's more like 3.5 (for me). Depending on what you're looking for, it could be much better for you. If you're a family with kids, this could be a great place for you.

If you get a good rate, this place is totally worth it. If you want a fun place to hang out with friends or family, it's totally fine. Lots of families with kids. If you're on a honeymoon or want a quiet romantic experience, probably not the right place for you. Also, if you're looking for impeccable service and high end experience, it's not quite that.

The Location: It's a 45 min drive from the airport and a 5 min drive from Lahaina. Great spot. Rent a car at the airport and you're all set. Definitely check out Lahaina. There's several great art galleries, shops, restaurants and shaved ice stands! The town has grocery stores, book stores, a mall. Everything you might need. The resort is also right next to an outdoor mall called Whalers village which has a small market and plenty of great shops ranging from Honolua surf Co to Lululemon and Louis Vuitton.

The Beach: Gorgeous. Spectacular sweeping view of Moloka'i and Lanai. There are sail boats, paddle boarders, para-sailors...it's just beautiful to look at. The sand's soft and the water's beautiful. And, the resort is right on the beach. It really is a great spot.

Food: There's a couple great restaurants next to the hotel 1) Hula's Grill 2) Maui Fish & Pasta 3) Leilanis on the Beach. There's great live music playing, gorgeous views of the beach and ocean and great food. Or if you just want a cheap subway sandwich or whatever, you can get that in the food court at the Whaler's village.

Service: This is where I ran into a bit of a challenge. It's a bit inconsistent. The staff, although friendly is definitely on island time which doesn't always work for me. I'm on vacation. They shouldn't be. I'd leave the room all day and just want to come back to a clean space with fresh towels, and house keeping hadn't come yet. So, I'd have to call and ask them to come and then leave the room while they cleaned. Things like that. Nothing major, just details that I don't want to have to worry about.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was my first time in Maui and my sister and I were really looking forward to our stay their with our two daughters ages 11 and 6. We were on the third floor by an elevator the first night and couldn't sleep all night from hearing the elevator all night. I could not believe they thought someone could actually sleep through the night with that noise. Management should not be putting guests in those rooms. Additionally, a mountainview room is a huge deceit, it should be called a parking lot/ trash view room. The rooms and hotel is clean, but is a far cry from a 4 star resort. It is old and would benefit from a makeover. The restaurant is bad and the service is even worse. We had to wait to be seated when the restaurant was practically empty and then they forgot about us. The pictures do not depict a reality of what the hotel looks like and the staff was unfriendly and not welcoming. I will never stay here again and cannot recommend it to anyone in good conscience. Please stay somewhere else.

Stayed June 2014
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Aloha Maricela R,

Thank you for providing your comments. Please accept our sincere apologies for the number of issues you experienced. Your comments have been forwarded to our team leaders for immediate follow up. While we are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations, we are grateful for your feedback that will allow us to improve. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a much better and different Westin Maui stay. Thank you agan for your review. Mahalo.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I am a tad late with this review, as my trip was in 2013. They were remodeling at that time and even with the unsightly construction it was a fantastic stay. The location can't be beat. Each morning after hitting the fitness center and a quick jog on the beach I would walk the short distance to black rock and go snorkeling. Each time I had the amazing experience of snorkeling right along side of the largest sea turtles ever. I had even done a snorkeling excursion (paid lot of money for) and did not have anywhere near as an amazing experience as I did for free right outside the hotel! The adult pool was quiet and peaceful and although the temperature of the water was in fact colder than I like, I did not spend much time at all in the pool. I did not go all the way to Hawaii to waste hours in a pool---I could do that at home in California. The ocean, which is literally steps from the hotel, was quite warm and provides a great place to tan as well as swim with the turtles and other fish. The food in the hotel was fine and the hotel is located near quite a few other restaurants within walking distance. There is a great little mall and one hopping bar a few doors down with the friendliest bar tender (he kept giving us free drinks and food to try). The room was clean and the workers were all super friendly. Even the people at the Colonnade Cafe were super. I was walking by one morning after the gym so I didn't have my wallet. I was looking at the menu just for ideas and the lady said "don't worry about it, just pay me later". Who does that??? Parking wasn't bad--I always found a spot quickly. The location of the hotel is perfect. It is a quick drive to Lahaina with its quaint little shops and restaurants. All in all, I would definitely go there again. This was a college graduation trip for my twin daughters so we were all adults.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We just stayed 7 nights for a family vacation with 2 rooms. The first major issue was that when we arrived at 12:30 and the rooms were not ready (no big deal as we didn't expect it to be), we double checked that the rooms were connecting as we were traveling with a 2 and 9 year old children. We were told that the rooms were in deed connecting (after 2+ calls from our platinum concierge to request this months and a week in advance). Room was not ready at 3 as we were told and when we finally got to the rooms around 4, they were not connecting. Yes we were on a beautiful 10th (out of 11) floor with amazing views, but there was a room in between our room, meaning our children were to be left alone in a MEGA resort. Thankfully we were at the end of the hall, as we were told no other rooms connecting would be available for a day or two. Needless to say as a mother of small children, I was NOT HAPPY.

Thankfully I had decided to bring my video baby monitor at the last minute or we would have checked out immediately. So we had to make due.

After a long day of travel, we decided to spend our first full day there relaxing at the pool to rest the children. We went down to the pool at 8:30am and there were no seats with shade left. There are only about 10 umbrellas for the entire huge 3 pool area. As this is a resort that advertises to families and has water slides (meaning many children), how do you not have shade for the guests, knowing it is children? As I am 8.5 months pregnant, this was even more disturbing than it would have normally been.

Our biggest issue was the lovely pool my kids had been looking forward to for months, and my hot pregnant self needed to get in as there was no shade to be had anywhere, was the temperature of the pool. As a pool owner, I know pool temperatures and am very familiar with varying degrees. We did not expect it to be warm, but refreshing would have been nice.

The pool was FREEZING! If it was even 70 degrees, I would have been happy. I could not get in the pool at all as it was too cold. My 2 year old son jumped in and was ready to swim, but after 15 minutes his lips were blue and chattering and he had to get out. My 9 year old daughter was able to bare it for almost an hour. Needless to say, the pool was now not usable and a wasted choice of hotel based on a pool with watersides for the kids. The ocean was warmer than the pool.

We asked the pool attendant after the 3rd day of unbearable cold attempts in the pool (and every guest around us complaining), as to why they don't heat the pool and his answer was "I know, we tell them all the time it is too cold and they say it is summer and it doesn't need to be heated. I am so sorry, we have tried." Later that afternoon, the pool attendant returned and had very sweetly (without being asked) said he had tried to get the pool heated due to all the complaints. He said he spoke with the head engineer and they replied the pool is 79 degrees, it is fine and does not need to be heated. Again as pool owner who keeps the pool at 80, there is no way this pool was even within 10 degrees of this. He laughed when saying the guy said it was 79. We asked if we were crazy that there is no way it was that warm, he said he knows and tells people to go in the ocean.

The view from the room was the only redeeming factor for this trip. Food was not good so we ate off property the entire week.

For the pool temperature alone, we will never go back and I do not recommend it to anyone with small children as it is too cold for them to stay in and play and there is no shade for them to sit outside of it unless you rent the cabanas (which sell out in advance so were not available to us) for $100+ per day.

Room Tip: Make sure to be in the remodeled wing. The end rooms (like 1056, 57, 58) had beautiful unobstructed...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to provide your comments. Please accept our apologies for not providing you with a perfect stay. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. Please know that we work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. Should you decide to return, we assure you that we will do our best to make your Westin Maui stay an unforgettable one. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back again. Mahalo.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed 1 week at the hotel in April and I was completely disappointed with the entire stay. First, I would say that this is mediocre at best. It is not in my opinion a luxury hotel. I chose this hotel particularly because it stated it as luxury and that it also had an adult pool. Well, there were kids in the adult pool and also in the jacuzzi. There was no one monitoring that at all. I also paid for for a gazebo in the adult area but it really wasn't in the adult area because we heard children screams the entire day. I thought the hotel was old and in need of an upgrade in most areas. The rooms are very small. I stayed at another property in Maui on a previous visit and it was luxury at a much lower rate. Not to mention they made us feel special in how we were serviced. I expected the same level of service at the Westin but did not receive it.

The two positive comments I have about the hotel is that the views from the rooms are amazing and the Suga House hotel was fantastic.

Room Tip: If you stay here ask for a room on the 8th floor. You can't beat the view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Aloha agnelsiou1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept our apologies for providing you with a less than perfect stay. While we pride ourselves in delivering exceptional guest experience, we realize that we missed the mark in your case. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We will be sure to follow up with our team with all of your comments. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for your renewing Westin Maui stay.

Mahalo.

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!