“Loved the Westin Maui Resort & Spa” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
castro valley, ca
“Loved the Westin Maui Resort & Spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

We spent a week at the marvelous resort and loved every minute of it. Our only regret was that we did not book 2 weeks. The pools were excellent: the slides offered a great diversion for our kids and the beaches at the hotel were clean and safe.

The hotel itself was clean and the service fantastic!

• Liked — the grounds were beautiful!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (907)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

They put us on the top floor in a room with a fantastic view and we appreciated it very much. We found the resort to be centrally located yet quiet at night. We'd go back. This was part of our trip by American Airlines Vacation.

Stayed June 2008
kahakuloa, HI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

My sister and I were celebrating our Birthdays here in Kaanapali. She coming from the mainland and myself from Kahakuloa. Even thought I am only an hours drive away it was as though I was in another Paradise. The room with full on oceanview and amenities was a pleasure. The "Birthday Cake" an exquisite surprise.

I cannot tell you what a delightful experience this pleasurable event was.

Kathleen Kensinger

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — room size (smaller than expected)
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

I've stayed at other Westin hotel chains before, so I had expectations. Unfortunately, they were not met at this hotel.

Upon entering the lobby, I was impressed with their lagoon with cascading waterfalls, fish pond, resident parrots and flamingos, but my impression quickly turned sour when I entered our hotel room.

The hotel rooms are the smallest I've ever been in - the concierge told me that it was originally designed for Japanese tourists - (read: small). My husband, myself and 2 children (9 and 11) were very uncomfortable with our belongings strewn everywhere.

The pluses: The pools were lovely and not crowded even in peak vacation season. There is also a separate pool designated for adults fand a tiny hot tub adjacent. My kids loved the winding waterslide.

The property is located right on a very nice beach which had some waves for the kids' boogie boards.

Their trademark "Heavenly Beds" DID live up to their hype. We all slept very well in the comfy (albeit small double) beds.

We avoid eating at the hotel restaurants due to the cost, but sometimes it can't be helped. The poolside restaurant (O'no Bar & Grill) actually had some very good food (pizza, chicken sandwich, nachos) that wasn't too outrageously priced.

Note! Although Westin is linked with the Sheraton chain and you can EAT there, rent sports gear there (spend money there), you CANNOT use their pool. Our concierge person neglected to tell us this which led to a very embarrassing situation when we visited the Sheraton property next door.

When I returned to the Westin I spoke with the manager and she was not at all apologetic and made me feel like I'd done something wrong. Needless to say, I was not happy.

Which leads me to say that the staff was not as friendly as I'd expected. One woman at the concierge desk was quite rude while assisting me with printing boarding passes.

This was our third trip to Hawaii, but first time for Maui and we absolutely fell in love with it, but we will not be returning to a Westin property.

Also - DO NOT go the the Hyatt's Luau (Drums of the Pacific). I was aghast at the amateurish performance of the dancers. One guy kept making mistakes and constantly looking at the other guys for guidance. One of the girls looked like she was 12 years old. The brochure said we'd be witnessing some cultural exhibits - it turned out that they had tables selling overpriced souveneirs. At the beginning of the lual, we were encouraged to have photographs taken by their photographers ($20 for a 4X6 and 8X10). This "luau" felt more like an orchestrated scheme to have visitors part with more of their money. I was so turned off.

I was fortunate to get my younger child in for free, but I was still annoyed at having paid $214 for a glorified buffer dinner - at least the food was very good.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The hotel room's size/unfriendly staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wayne, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

This was the first of two hotels we had in our trip (the other was the Waikiki Marriott in Oahu) and this hotel was superior in every way. Dh travels a lot for business and stays in Westins a lot, so we had used SPG points to get an oceanview room for 6 nights. When we arrived late Sunday night we were given a not-so-nice room next to the elevator that overlooked the roof of the building below us, but after travelling over 18 hours we were in no mood to argue. The next morning we contacted the front desk manager; within a half hour the staff had us moved to a much nicer room in the same price range overlooking the pool and ocean. The room wasn't huge, but it was fine for what we needed it for, and the Westin's signature "Heavenly Bed" was just that - HEAVENLY. The staff was very nice and accomodating, especially the poolside servers. We had a few issues with housekeeping - room not cleaned in a timely manner and my "diamond' necklace disappeared - since it was a fake I didn't bother with the safe, but beware!! The pool area was magnificent, as were the hotel grounds with lots of exotic birds and sculpture nestled in. The location of the hotel was awesome: right next to Whalers' Village, with lots of shops and places to eat, and a short walk to the Sheraton, a sister hotel that allowed us to charge dinner to our Westin room. The hotel offered a complementary shuttle to neighboring hotels and into Lahaina, but you will still need a car for most activities. We had rented a car and were able to self-park (watch out - the spots are extremely small) but when the lot was full we were given free valet parking.The restaurants were very good and typically resort-expensive, especially breakfast. There was a room charge of $20/day that allowed us free bottled water, access to the above-average fitness center, and a session with the excellent photographer located in the lobby; they offered a free 4x6 as well, but of course we purchased more! I read a lot of reviews about this hotel that criticized the timeshare people - while they were omnipresent, they never harassed us or anyone else that I saw, so they were no big deal. Overall, this was a great hotel and I'd highly recommend it - hopefully I can go back someday!

• Liked — pool, hotel grounds, hotel staff, location
  • Disliked — hotel restaurant was extremely expensive
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

Overall a nice hotel -- beautiful beach in front, rooms were nice. We booked "partial ocean view" rooms and were more than satisfied with the view (behind the pool, but could see much of the ocean). Liked the fact that the hotel is in walking distance from Whaler's Village - lots of restaurants there, including a food court in the back. We cut costs by eating dinner there a couple of times - the little Mexican place has great fish tacos! Also, loved The Fish Co. in Lahaina - great food and views (to cut costs eat lunch there instead of dinner!)
The cons of the Westin: unless you are one of these grabby people who "reserve" pool chairs all day for the 2 hours they will use them, forget about getting a seat by the pool. Having nowhere to sit gets old after a week, and reduces your enjoment of the property - management should do something about this (since usually, over half the chairs are "reserved" but empty).
The resort is full of kids - this was fine with us, but I would not recommend this hotel for couples or honeymooners. Would not recommend the Westin luau. The food was good but the ambiance was terrible, and it was very expensive. Overall, a good experience, but next time I would probably look for a hotel that's a bit quiter and more relaxing.

• Liked — beach, hotel facilities
  • Disliked — no place to sit by pool
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

My family (wife and 2 boys 7 and 9 yrs old) and we spent 10 days at the Westin Maui in July.

I am a SPG Platinum member and was contacted in advance of our stay by the Concierge to discuss any needs I had in advance of arriving at the hotel.

Upon arrival our room was ready and we were upgraded to an Ocean View room. Check-in was speedy and we were at the pool in no-time. My only real complaint about this hotel is that the rooms are a little small when you have 4 people in them (2 double beds). Other than that the rooms had been upgraded with newer bath amenities and flat screen TV's.

During our stay we really enjoyed the pools and waterslides. The ocean was also great and we spent some time body surfing in there.

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The waterfall in the lobby area is quite impressive and makes a stunning impact when you arrive at the hotel.

We ate at Ono's and the Tropica restaurants. While the costs are a little high they are in-line with other Westin's and as expected the food is well done.

We also did the Thursday night Luau and really enjoyed the food and the performance.

We also used the Shuttle service frequently to go into Lahaina for dinner and found it very reliable and punctual.

Throughout my stay I received excellent customer service and would definitely consider a return to the hotel in the future.

• Liked — Location of the hotel
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!