“Great beach, nice hotel, don't the time share” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Squamish, Canada
“Great beach, nice hotel, don't the time share”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel is located on the north area of Maui approximately 40 minutes from the airport. There is construction on the road leading north so it is possible it may take longer. Unless you plan to spend all your time at the hotel, I would recommend renting a car. On that note the westin parking lot has one of the narrowest stalls I have encountered. Don't rent a big car unless you plan to valet it. Parking was almost always an issue. Hotel has two buildings. One aligns east-west. So your view is either going to be ocean to the north, or pool/ocean area to the south. The other building is aligned north-south. So your view will either be of the ocean, or....of the parking lot. Ok this isn't quite true. You can see the mountains, and if you are on the north end of the building you won't see the parking lot. I think it's worth getting the ocean view if it isn't too much more, or at least asking to upgraded if possible (no fee?). The staff were all friendly, and I would say most the people on the island were. Pool area is very child friendly, you might loose them in one of the many pools they have but that's another issue. The beach in front of the property has great sand. The ocean has a sandy bottom that goes out quite a distance so swimming there is great. If you are a runner like myself, you can head north on the boardwalk for a 2.5 mile run(5 mile return) all on the board walk. If you head south you can run on boardwalk, beach trail, road, and sidewalk for as long as you want. The town south of Lahaina is 3.5 miles south(center area). There is water along the way if you don't want to run with it. Overall the hotel is quite nice, it does require a car, and Whales village next door won't keep you occupied enough for your entire trip. I think Maui requires exploring. There are so many nice beachs to check out. One issue I have with the set up is that they are actively trying to sell you time shares. We got a message on our phone saying that the concierge had a free gift for us. Well turned out to be a 50 cent bag with the westin name on it. They then tried to get us to sign up for a timeshare presentation. We did and that was three hours of my life I'll never get back. If you have the time to kill why not, but don't buy anything. They aren't super high sales but still, take your time to sleep on it before you make a decision. They did allow us that and after looking at it all it didn't make sense for us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our kids loved playing in their pool and the slide. It has a good beach in front of it so they visit both often. The rooms are a bit dated. However, they are currently undergoing a remodel. Watch out for the sell on the vacation club. The concierge their kept trying to get us to sign up to visit their vacation club models.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The grounds are absolutely beautiful and well cared for. The rooms on the other hand are well worn, but clean and comfortable. Check in took an extremely long time (5 hours) as their system stopped working. Sitting around waiting for a room took up a lot of our "beach time". The restaurants that are in walking distance are all wonderful. The staff is so friendly and nice and always willing to help with anything you need. Overall I will definitely be back to the Westin!! Well worth every $$. Thanks for the great memories and a very fun vacation.

Room Tip: The garden view is very pretty if you don't want to spend the $$ on a beach view
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just returned from the Westin and had a good stay. I was worried about all the negative comments before arrival, though my experience was better than expected.
Check in was a breeze, no waiting at all because there were 3 people working on the front desk. I did see a line from time to time when there was only one person working.
I got a room across from the elevator despite asking for a quiet room, though I was not bothered by any noice during the stay, maybe because it was after the Spring break. The room was on 5th floor w a nice mountain view. Beds and pillows were very comfortable. Housekeeping runs late during the weekends. I called the front desk about where to weight my luggage, and they sent a scale! I called the front about microwave, and they sent one within 10 minutes! Room had a mini-fridge, and there was a microwave next to the Starbucks coffee shop as well.
I loved the double showerhead w good water pressure, the best!
Parking space was not as small as I imagined. I had a minivan and was able to find good parking durng the day, though if you return at night you might not find one (they do valet park for free if you cannot find a space).
Best part of the resort was the grand lobby and the wonderful pools! My kids had a blast, they refused to play on the beach, and stayed by the pool all day. Plenty of kids having a good time around the pool area, perfect for families w young kids.
Resort is next to Whaler Village and beachwalk, nice for evening walk, watching sunset, good eats, and my kids visited Yogurtland (Whaler Village) daily.
The resort is undergoing renovation, and they better be, because their "disney" like water feasures and gardens might have met a match by the opening of Disney Aulani. Several of the conferences which used to take place in Westin had switched to Disney Aulani this year.
Overall we had a great experience and would return again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

This is the second year in row that my husband and I have stayed at the Westin Kaanapali. We had a wonderful time, once again. The one suggestion that I would like to make is if you really want to relax, upgrade from the studio to one bedroom. The lanai is much larger and you have more room to spread out.

• Stayed April 2013
Flint, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

we just stayed at Westin Resort and Spa for 8 days. it was beautiful. everyone is SO FRIENDLY. and I mean everyone - and it's not a fake customer service thing, it's just how they are. We originally booked a "mountain view" room - this is truly just a parking lot view with mountains in the background. After 3 nights we upgraded to ocean view. We were in 621 and if you want true ocean view without looking through palm trees, you should be above 7th floor, but our view was still amazing. the property itself is so beautiful, amazing flora everywhere, waterfalls, 5 pools, flamingos and koi and a black swan in the lobby area. We walked the beach boardwalk that runs in front of all of the resorts along ka'anapali parkway and this was the nicest pool/lobby area that we saw. Hyatt was nice too (second) but this was better. SOME TIPS: go to the store there are a couple of grocery stores and a walgreens in Lahaina, buy bottled water for your room if you drink more than 2 bottles per day (they give you 2 free bottles per day), and we also bought snacks for around the pool (granola bars, apples etc). We also bought a little cooler and ice packs to take with us on excursions or even for the pool area. Alcoholic drinks at the pool are $7.75 for the daily special drink, or $10 for regular drinks (not huge either). bottled water is $3.50, bags of chips $2.75, hot dogs $6. O'no's and Tropica the on-site restaurants have very similar food, but are both good - expensive though. Breakfast buffet is $28.95 per person - it's a big buffet though. There is also a little area to buy oatmeal and such which is a bit cheaper, or there's a McDonalds in lahaina. The resort is next door to Whaler's village, a great shopping area and also has some nice restaurants as well - also a subway, which we ate lunch at a lot. We saved our money for dinners. Go into Lahaina, there are several cool restaurants and tons of shopping along front street. Park in public parking area at the end and just walk, it's very nice. You can also walk to Black rock from the resort and jump off the cliff, but there are HUGE sea turtles there too, just off the beach which was really cool. great snorkeling in that area. If you do'nt care about getting daily housekeeping and you put the tag on your door, you get a $5 voucher to use pool side or at Ono's or Tropica - we saved ours the whole week and used $35 for breakfast buffet. If you do'nt get housekeeping you can still get your water or coffee packets from the housekeeper. there is a daily resort fee of $30 (very average for the area) but it's great that it covers self parking for free and internet in the rooms or the lobby area. We also saw a lot of whales right off the beach at the resort or while we were driving into lahaina. Oh, and the BEDS were amazing too!! Overall I have so much to say, it was a GREAT resort, super friendly staff and we had a WONDERFUL time.

Room Tip: The oceanview rooms are the best - noisier than parking lot/mountain view only because you hear the...
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The location is (mostly) amazing with one (major) defect and that's Whaler's Village next door.

If you're a Starwood Gold or Platinum member (like I've been since 2001, for 13 consecutive years) then you'll be (un)lucky enough to be "upgraded" to the Preferred Guest Floor with an Ocean View.

The view is amazing, one of the best ever. Then you suddenly start to realize that the various noises that come into your room from Whaler's Village will ruin any time you plan on trying to spend in your room.

It starts with Leilani's (a restaurant next door in Whaler's Village) sorting their glass recycling daily at 6:30 in the morning and it sounds like a homeless person came into your room to sort your trash.

Then nightly between 6 or 7 for an hour or two Whaler's Village puts on various "Hawaiian Cultural" events, which might sound quaint, except it's neither charming nor a real Hawaiian Cultural event. They use this as an excuse to play very loud, very bad, live music which you can't escape even by closing your Lanai window (which is horrible in itself, since those Lanai's are one of the main reasons for coming to a hotel like this), and if you try and brave through it with your window open, it's approximately just as loud in our room (on the top 11th floor) as it is down in the front row (tonight we decided to go down there and see how loud it was up close) at Whaler's Village.

When the "cultural" events aren't going on, Maui Grill or Leilani's have various live music acts at different unpredictable times just to add some more bad music flavor to the mix.

All of this is really annoying and puts a huge damper on what would be an otherwise fantastic physical property, until you try and talk to the hotel staff about it. We've spoken to about 8 different staff members throughout the week we've been here and of them, only 1 had any clue about customer service or expectation management. For the most part they're combative and let you know Whaler's Village is not their property and there's nothing they can do about it.

To add insult to injury the "Guest Relations Manager" called me tonight and I'm still not sure why. He was well aware of the poor experience we've had the last 8 days, and then proceeded to argue with me and tell me "I'm sorry you don't appreciate Hawaiian Culture" because I had called to complain about the incredibly loud hip hop song the "Hula" show had just been playing.

If I could upload audio or video here I would, we've recorded the extraordinary noise nightly for the letter we're going to send to the Starwood CEO and Hotel GM.

What's wild is I've had just under 250 stays at Starwood properties since 2001, and I can honestly say I've only had 2 bad experiences and this one being the capper. Normally I don't bother checking Trip Advisor for Starwood Properties because I've always had such great experiences.

Short of buying Whaler's Village and tearing it down, I think the next best thing they can do is get out of their management contract and get the Westin name off of this hotel. Let it be the Holiday Inn Kaanapli as that's what the experience has been like.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
First and foremost, we would like to thank you for your valued loyalty as a SPG Platinum member. Rest assured that guest satisfaction is of utmost priority to us and our associates are always working on creating delightful experiences for our guests. We sincerely regret that we had missed doing so during your stay with us. While most of our guests enjoy convenient shopping, dining and nightlife at the neighboring shopping village, we can certainly understand and appreciate the importance of experiencing blissful comfort while on vacation. Your detailed feedback is much appreciated and we look forward to taking necessary measures to restore your confidence in us again. Malama pono (take care)!

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!