“Anniversary Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
Ocean Springs,MS
“Anniversary Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Westin in Maui was wonderful. The grounds of the property were beautiful. The location was great! The fine dinning dinner restaurant on the property did not appear to be open when we were there but the resort was within walking distance to other restaurants. The shuttle system they provide to go into town was nice, clean and on time. The adult only pool at this resort was perfect for my husband and I who were there without kids and looking to relax. There were plenty to activity desks to plan excursions and everyone was really friendly. It was nice that they offered a Luau Show there so that we did not have to leave the property. The Starbucks stand there had breakfast sandwiches and grab and go options for breakfast which was nice for when you were not hungry enough to have the full breakfast buffet. We would defiantly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Korean first
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here end of March to beginning of April for our honeymoon and loved the Westin Maui.
Pros: it is a beautiful resort, lots of pools, adult and for children, waterfalls and a beautiful entrance/lobby area with parrots and flamingoes. The staff were very friendly and helpful and extremely funny and friendly whenever we ate at the resort. When we checked in we were a few hours early but they let us check in straight away and gave us complimentary chocolates and champagne. A must do is the Luau at the resort, get premium sitting if going to this.
The food at the resort was very good also.
Con: The main con which was very frustrating was the resort must have been doing renovations on the floor above ours (we were on floor 7) and from 9am to 5pm for the whole week there was constant drilling and hammering noises above our room. We weren't notified by the front desk about this, and as we were honeymooning and wanted to watch a movie or have a sleep or just relax this was extremely frustrating. A courtesy phone call should have been made. Also the cleaning staff did not really make our bed properly each day but this is minor. Besides this, the resort is great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I took my kids (all adults) with me and my wife here. It is a terrific hotel -- great rooms, right on the water, walking distance to restaurants and shops, great amenities. Great pool too. Yes, a cheaper price would have been nice, but it is a great hotel. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We paid extra for an ocean view room and I think it is well worth it. Higher floors = better views a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Invermere, British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was our first time to Maui and we loved it! We have been to Mexico & Dominican all-inclusives many times, so this was a little different. We pre-booked Speedy Shuttle online and they were great, saw their booth at the baggage pickup and they were ready for us as soon as we had our luggage. It was a 45 min. trip to the Westin Maui.
Check in was great, fairly quick and our room was ready when we arrived at noon. We all received a shell necklace.
Our room was in the beach tower on the 11th floor, facing the pools and ocean and the view was incredible. We had a fairly large room with 2 heavenly double beds, a mini fridge, coffee maker and a flat screened TV. The bathroom was very large too, with a separate area for the toilet.
The linen and towels were really nice and soft and the toiletries were also very nice. Maid service was great.
The Westin has done a great job with the pools and waterfalls and waterslides, the kids just loved them. They could have had a larger hot pool though. We had two cool days and did enjoy the hot tubs a couple of times.
The food was very good, our room came with a continental breakfast each morning and we also had several meals at lunch around the pools or in the dinner area and had a dinner in the ocean side fancier restaurant and it was very nice.
We loved the beach and spent lots of time there, it's too bad that the Westin charges to rent chair, though! We rented surf boards on the beach and had fun trying to surf. We also rented a boogie board and the kids had fun with that.

We loved the fact that Whaler's Village was right next door and went to several restaurants there. I had great swordfish at the Maui Fish Co., beautiful Mahi Mahi at the Hula Grill, and Leilani's had awesome surf & turf, the little Mexican Restaurant in the food court had the best fish tacos and also had a great breakfast too. We watched the Hula dancers on the stage in the center court and also heard a great duo play one night. We did tons of shopping there at Whaler's Village as they had great shops.

We walked down the boardwalk to the Marriot and had lunch there one day and also visited the Hyatt to see the penguins and also had dinner at their sushi restaurant and it was incredible.

The Westin has a shuttle into Lahaina and we used it a couple of times to go for dinner and shopping. Our absolute favorite restaurant was Fleetwood's. We had great service and super food there. We managed to see the 6:00 ceremony on the roof with the Hawaiian who talked about Maui and it's traditions and we really enjoyed that.

My Son-in-law chartered a boat in Lahaina with a company called Hinatea and they were outstanding. Our Son-in-law caught the largest Mahi Mahi caught this year and my husband caught a small nosed spearfish, which is very hard to catch and highly sought after by people trying to get their grand slam. The other 3 girls on board also caught fish, so it was a great day for all. We would highly recommend the guys on the Hinatea boat.
All in all, it was a trip of a life time, we had great service at the Westin.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
We found much delight in reading your memorable experiences during your recent island getaway in Maui, Hawaii. All of us look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa for more family retreats. Warmest aloha!
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and two daughters (aged 9 and 10) for 4 nights during our Spring Break trip to Maui, Easter week, 2013.

First the room was a two double bedded room, my least favorite bed configuration when we go places. Be prepared for VERY small rooms. Difficult to maneuver in the room when you have 4 suitcases and some carry-ons. Tripped over stuff and ran into corners getting around. The small fridge kept the bottled water cool but not very cold. I don't think it was cold enough to store milk, for example, so I put the ice bucket with the milk in it, inside the fridge overnight. Not sure why they don't have a decent fridge. The in-room safe worked, but we had to take the drain plug out of the bathtub to get it to drain. I would say the room was kept clean and the towels were replaced daily. We had a "mountain view" which is the same as a "parking lot and partial mountain view" but of course we knew that was what we were paying for. Ocean view would have been nicer, I'm sure. There was an elevator at the end of our hallway which dumped us out where the luau check in was, but more importantly at the base of the stairs that led to a back way up to the pool deck. This was convenient.

The pools were nice, but colder than I expected. Air temp was in the high 70s and so it was a bit surprising they didn't seem to be heated well. Kind of uncomfortable and I usually tolerate cold pools ok most of the time. No problem finding lounge chairs. We paid $37 to have an umbrella and two lounge chairs on the beach for a whole day (8 to 4). There are surf lessons available there, but we went down in front of the Marriott for surf lessons because there were more reviews of that outfit. You can boogie board and snorkel if you want right there, but I recommend water shows. There are some rocks and my 10 year old got seriously banged up during her surf lesson! If you are going to the Westin when it is on the warmer side, I suggest you book the beach umbrellas and chairs IN ADVANCE. It's not that much of an added expense and we were lucky to get one of the last ones when we wanted one. It gets quite hot out there and there is no shade on the beach otherwise.

There is a tent set up near the pool where you go daily to get wrist bands (they check for them when you are on the slide) and this hotel is quite retentive on their towel policy. The wrist band thing wasn't explained at all They give you "towel cards" on check in and you trade them in for towels each day. I understand they want to mitigate loss of towels, but I found this just one more thing that I had to keep track of during my vacation. They also sell floaty toys for the pool and there is a compressor you can use to inflate them. You can exchange wet towels for dry ones there anytime it is open, of course.

We went on some walks and our judgement is despite its shortcomings, the Westin pool area is the best one for kids in the area. The Marriott and the Kaanapali Alii are much smaller in terms of pool areas, but they have large grassy areas instead. Very soft on the feet.

What has been said of self parking lot is true: the parking spaces are very small. There are some larger ones way in the back of the lot nearby where they have the construction area. We rented a Cadillac Escalade in order to fit all our luggage and I was able to, with a little prayer, get the thing parked. Sometimes the lot fills up so they make you use Valet. We didn't need to. Good timing, I guess.

The staff was very nice and there are several places to eat. We used the Ono Bar and found that the poolside meals to be actually very good for resort food. Kids were happy with what they ate, also. There is a coffee place that serves Starbucks which opens from 5:30 AM to mid afternoon. They have an area set up where you grab bagels, hot croissant sandwiches, pastries and then pay for all of that when you order your coffee. The kids enjoyed feeding the koi, swans and flamingos in that area. We really thought our Cafe Mochas were authentic Starbucks and the pastries were good. We did eat a breakfast buffet one time and found it to be ok with the no-frills basics for a Hawaiian resort hotel. Kids were happy with it. We skipped the Easter Brunch (see my review for the Royal Hawaiian Easter brunch in 2012.) but they had the place set up for Easter Bunny activities and I'm sure it was great. Probably best for the smaller children, though. Easter Brunches are expensive in Hawaii! Short drive (maybe 5 minutes) into Lahaina Town for fun shopping, shave ice, gelato, etc.

So, small rooms, small parking spots, nice pool set up but cold for Spring Break, fun water slide, nice helpful staff, good Cafe Mochas, get your beach chairs/umbrellas reserved ASAP before you arrive, ok snorkeling and boogie boarding and surf lesson environment. They sell milk and other helpful things in their gift shop if you want to bring Costco cereal packs for the "I'm hungry NOW" morning childhood hypoglycemia.

We did a pretty thorough trip through Maui (see my other reviews for main activities we did) and are unlikely to return with all the other destinations on our vacation wish list. Next year our Spring Break is much later (tied to the Easter holiday) and my sense is it would be a better time to visit weather-wise. I could have used a few more degrees to be comfortable in and by the pools.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view if you can, it's Hawaii, after all, and it was fun watching the whales breech...
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This resort was amazing! I loved everything about it. The amazing view and location and the fact that it was my husband and mine's first vacation solo without our young kids definitely helped! We went in March, so it was whale watching season....AWESOME! We could see the whales jumping and swimming from our lanai And every morning at breakfast. We went on a whale watching tour also, that was definitely worth it. The resort was very clean and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The luau was a lot of fun, definitely recommend that! The room was clean but kind of small, but it was just fine for us.
I thought i loved my bed at home, but then we spent a week in the heavenly bed. We LOVED the heavenly bed. i am going to order some of the pillows and blankets as soon as I am done writing this....(thanks for retailing the bed sets!) the food at the hotel was very good. We loved eating breakfast at the buffet every morning, especially when we got to sit on the ocean side! I must say that the pulled pork was amazing! (Get the nachos with kahlua pork and a Corona with lime poolside and you'll know what I'm talking about!) there was a ton of chairs by the pool and different levels, so we moved around a lot to change the scenery. It never seemed over crowded and we could always find a chair. The hot tub was nice to dip into every night.
The beach was great and not over crowded. Great waves! There is a shopping mall right next door called the Whalers Village. Very convenient! We took several shopping trips there. Overall this was an amazing experience, and would highly recommend this resort!
I almost forgot.... The SPA! Soooo nice! My husband and I got a couples massage. He loved it so much, he got another massage before we left while I got a pedicure. They have separate locker rooms, which each has a sauna, steam room, and whirlpool. With being parents of 3 kids aged 3,2,&1, we don't get to pamper ourselves very often, so this was a very pleasant experience. Sitting in the relaxation room with citrus water and some yummy tea, watching the whales in the ocean.... How could it get any better?
The food and spa were kinda pricey, but its not every day you get to do this, so i say go for it!
The last thing I have to comment on is the banana splits! We ordered one in room service, and got one every night after. Definitely big enough to share for sure. They serve it in a half of frozen pineapple, so it says cold and doesn't melt all over the place... So yummy :)
Thank you to the Westin for making our stay amazing!

Room Tip: Definitely get the ocean view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Naperville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just stayed there for 3 nights - paid for 2 rooms during the last week of March 2013. Loved the property (the pool and grounds were great and abundant, the proximity to the strand that passes all the Kaanapali hotels is great, the pool deck is nicely situated so when you are lying there you are looking just over the walkers/joggers on that path, had great beach access and available activities from the Westin property. A far as the facility is concerned I would give it a "4"- but as far as the rooms and the layout with the bathrooms I would give it a "3". The rooms were small with minimal storage for clothes, water supplies...the bathrooms were showing their age and the vanity just outside the bathroom was very low ( very inconvenient if you are over 5'8"!) Very disappointed in the rooms (yes I know when you are on Maui you are there to spend time away from your room - but I expected better) The last comment I would share on this is that when I booked and paid for the rooms back in December 2012 I made sure they knew I was an SPG member and wanted adjoining rooms as this was for my 2 teenage kids and my wife and myself. Upon check in I was told the rooms were both ocean view but were not adjoining - "but that if I had paid an extra fee of $50 per night they would have "guaranteed" me the rooms adjoining" - I was never told that when I booked the rooms with an SPG agent! So if quality rooms matter to you - I would check some of the other Kaanapali hotels before this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!