“Westin far from a 4 1/2 star property!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #25 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Laguna Beach, California
“Westin far from a 4 1/2 star property!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We booked this hotel through Priceline's express deal. Even though they don't show the hotel name before booking, we figured out which hotel it was by the amenities that were offered. So basically, we researched the hotel, liked what we saw, and decided to go forward with it.

This trip was for our anniversary that we just took on March 11th, 2013. Before arriving at the resort, I emailed the guest relations manager and made sure she knew we were there celebrating a special occasion. I've stayed at previous Starwood properties and haven't had a good experience with most of them, so it was safe to say I was a tad bit skeptical of their customer service. After speaking to her, I was congratulated and promised that they would upgrade my room and have a special amenity waiting for us in our room.

At check in, at about 3:30 - 4 pm, we were the only ones in line with about 4 agents at the front desk. All of them glaring at their computer screens, talking to each other, and refusing to look up and acknowledge us. Finally about 5 mins later, a young lady calls us to her desk. After briefing her about my conversation with the manager, she looks up our reservation and tells us that we've been upgrade to the 3rd floor, ocean view room in their older tower. I asked her if we can please be upgraded to one of their renovated rooms I saw online (which I later found out was in their beach tower), and that we'd be willing to pay for any upgrade fees. She flat out responds, I have no idea what you're referring to. All of our rooms are the same! I show her pictures of the room I was referring to, and she says that those rooms are from a different property. I didn't believe her at this point, so I asked to speak to the manager, which she responds back by saying, the manager has stepped out. Pretty upset at this point, I ask her if she can at least put us on a higher floor (the hotel went up to the 11th floor). I told her that the only reason I chose this hotel was because of the gorgeous views of the Ka'anapali beach and the resort. To that she responds that the top floors are sold out (which I was told later by another agent that the top floors are under construction, again another lie because I saw a few people lounging in their top floor balconies). Very frustrated, I take what she's giving me and check in to the room. The room itself was very outdated, extremely dusty (I included a picture of the dust on the side table), and not properly kept; black bugs in the bathroom and the towels just put in random places and definitely no "welcome amenity". No way in hell would anyone believe this was a 4 1/2 star hotel by looking at the room. We were paying a $30 resort fee per night to basically upkeep the common grounds of the resort, because obviously, nothing was going into the rooms that the guests actually stay in. My husband calls the front desk and asks to speak to a manager. Again, we're told that the manager has stepped out and will call us once he returns. After about 1 1/2 hours, we receive a call from Jeff the manager. He is very unapologetic and refers to the whole situation as "not in my control". He offers us a one $30 resort fee credit and 2 breakfast vouchers. We tell him that we're not looking for compensation, we just want a better hotel room. He tells us the top floors are under construction and he can call us in an hour about a possible upgrade into their renovated tower (beach tower). After wasting another hour, we call him instead only to find out that he left for the night.

Long story short, (believe it or not, this BS goes on for a while) we were left in the same room, with housekeeping not really cleaning, just making our bed and giving us fresh towels. The staff at the hotel are very unpleasant. They don't smile or greet you. It's like they don't want you there. I even got some eye rolls when I asked a couple of the staff members to take our picture. Our waitress at the Ono Grill was the worst... she would interrupt us while we were talking or asking questions about the dishes, she would not refill our waters, and just gave us an attitude every single time we asked for something.

Before we left, I asked the front desk (new agent) if I can see one of the rooms with the best view just so we can take pictures of the resort and the beach, and sure enough, we were sent to the beach tower, 11th floor (no construction), renovated room.

Overall, the staff is horrible. They all lie and just look like they really don't want to be there. When you go to the concierge to ask for local attractions, instead of helping you out, they try to sell you on checking out their time share property down the street. The hotel is definitely not well kept, and the managers don't give a tiny rats butt as to how their guests are being treated. Couple of pros about the hotel, excellent location, beautiful pool area, and the food at Ono Grill. My opinion, spend a little more money and stay at the Hyatt down the parkway. Beautiful property, impeccable rooms, amazing staff and awesome food. Only downfall, Whaler's village is a little bit of a walk, but hey, a walk down the sidewalk under the beautiful stars is never bad :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the beach tower Do your research of all nearby attractions instead of wasting tim...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We are disappointed to read your comments. Please accept our heartfelt apologies for missing on making your stay memorable. Our leadership team has taken the necessary steps to ensure this does not happen in the future. We appreciate your important feedback and hope that you will consider The Westin Maui Resort & Spa on your next visit to Maui and experience our true spirit of aloha. Until then, warmest aloha from all of us.

3,079 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
  • Korean first
Edson, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The lobby was just beautiful, with the waterfalls and the exotic birds! Great location, literally on the beach. The pools were great. Close proximity to shopping centre and restaurants. Staff were friendly. It rained while we were there and al fresco dining in the rain was not something I particularly enjoyed, but overall, a great stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for your wonderful review! We are delighted to know you enjoyed your island getaway at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa. Malama pono (take care)
Kelowna, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We ended up at this hotel from a hotwire purchase ... First mistake. I find hotwire great if you are just travelling with 2 and dont need to worry about ocean views or bed configurations. Upon checkin we were assigned a parking lot view room ... Great, how Hawaiin. we were told that all ocean view rooms were sold out, even if we wanted to pay the exorbenant upgrade fees (starting at $100 a night). After much discussion we were upgraded to a garden view room on night 2. We are a party of 5 and found the rooms to be very small, dated and worn. This hotel looks like it is starting a major renovation, the top 3 floors of the main building are currently being reno'ed which probably accounts for us not being able to get an ocean view room.

On the plus side, I mentioned that it was my daughters 16th birthday and we were greeted to a nice sweet 16 cake in our room, nice touch. The pool area is great, my kids loved it. The hotel is right beside whalers village, which is a plus, especially if you want to run over to grab subs from the subway for lunch. Yes we are a party of 5 so we need to look for ways to not spend $100 for lunch :)

My wife and I only ate once at the ono bar and grill and the food was decent and the prices were reasonable ... Considering this was Maui.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Celebrating special occasions on Maui is certainly a momentous event – Happy birthday to your daughter once again! As our valued guest, we would like to assure you that your utmost comfort is our priority. We look forward to another opportunity to surprise and delight you. Mahalo pono (take care)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

The pro's
The Westin is in a great location conveniently located next to the Whalers Village.
Pool complex is really great particularly if you have children.
Staff are friendly on the whole and make you feel very welcome.
Gym is well equipped for a large hotel.

The con's
The hotel is in desperate need of a re-fit. The rooms are very tired and look as though they were fitted out at least 10-15 years ago. The bathrooms are very ordinary and the shower is in the bath. (We stayed in an ocean view room in the Beach Tower.
If you have stayed at either of the 2 Westin properties in Australia the hotel is significantly below the standard that you may be expecting.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Mahalo for sharing your experience and valuable feedback. We are thrilled to know you enjoyed our facilities and staff. We hope to uplift your spirit and welcome you back to our room enhancements upon your next tropical getaway. Aloha!
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

my wife and I traveled to Maui in Mid december for vacation. we originally booked a mountain view room but they kindly upgraded us to a garden view room (overlooking the hotel "lagoon" and pools). we got a pretty decent deal for 7 nights ($1200 per person including airfare)

Positives
- location is probably the best aspect of this hotel. it's right next to the beach so you can spend time at the beach or retreat for a bit by the pools. you are a 20min walk along the beach to black rock where you can get some great snorkeling. you're 10mins from whaler's village where there are shops, food and an ABC store. you're about a 10 min drive to Lahaina and 20min from Napali bay where this is great public beach with great snorkeling. it probably took about 50-60mins from the airport.
- the rooms were fine. they were clean, a little older in style and perhaps not as new and modern as some of the other Westin's I've been to. the house cleaning was fine, a little inconsistent in terms of restocking consumables but the staff was always very friendly and willing to address our needs.
- we used their gym once and it was very nice, spacious and well equipped with many machines.
- the swimming pools aren't big but they are very nicely made and very family friendly. they have many seats and the pool staff were extremely nice and worked hard. the pool food was not cheap ($15 for nachos) but they were extremely tasty and you get a healthy serving. we ended up getting drinks and snacks from the ABC which helped us save some money
- if you refuse towel cleaning and can stand reusing your towels for a day, they give you a $5 voucher for every day you refuse towel changes. you can use this voucher any where on the resort which was wonderful in offsetting pool food costs. this is their "go green" option which I think is great.
- they have a shuttle service that comes around every 20mins or so and goes to several of the resorts along the strip and takes you into Lahaina (the closest bigger city) where you'll find many more shops and good restaurants. makes it very convenient if you don't want to drive
- the concierge was extremely nice and helpful, especially in giving directions and suggestions for restaurants (of course they want to rope you in for other promotions and sales but you are not obligated of course towards these things)
- we also booked a luau that is hosted at the hotel. it was my first so I have nothing to compare to, but it had tables and a buffet line. food was average to good and more than enough. the luau was fantastic with the Polynesian fire dancers.
- most of the restaurants in the area by the hotel are reasonable. you pay about $15-20 for an entree. my wife and I found that the portions are sufficient and we didn't always need to get a full entree each.

Negatives
- you have to pay a $30/day (if I remember correctly) resort fee. there's no avoiding this but it's supposed to cover your parking and you get internet (which worked fine for checking emails, facebook, and the occasional youtube). the resort fee also gets you a free westin cooler bag and a free photo session with one free photo (the idea of course is to get you to buy their picture package but you are not obligated to do so)
- in order to get towels for the pool area, you have to submit your towel cards at a towel tent. then you have to return your towels when done to get your towel cards back. if you leave your towel for any length of time you're at risk of having it picked up by a staff member and you're on the hook for having "lost" a towel. I don't know if other resorts do this and I understand their rationale but it's a bit of a pain in the behind to have to do this.
- the Ono bar and grill which is the onsite pool restaurant has breakfast but it's ridiculously expensive ($30 for all you can eat for adults and $20). that's a lot if you're staying there for a week or longer. again, we ended up buying some breakfast foods from the ABC.
- for the beach, you have to rent the covered chairs which is another cost.

conclusion:
- overall, the experience was good. we'd definitely consider staying there again. the negatives weren't deal breakers and we found alternatives.
- we ended up spending most of our time outside anyway and the room was comfortable and did the job.
- obviously I felt that we got a good deal on the hotel and I'm not sure I would feel the same though if we went during peak season.
- we do not have kids but it's obvious that the resort is very kid friendly as you can choose to walk out to the beach or spend time at the kid friendly pools.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mahalo taking the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled you enjoyed our friendly service and resort offerings. We look forward to delighting you on your future visit! Malama pono (take care)
Topeka, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at this property with a group of six couples for my hubby's work event. I had read the mixed reviews, but am happy to report that we didn't have any of the problems with rude staff. We were able to check in without delay, but it was a little confusing finding the right set of elevators to get to our room. Once we did find it, our room was a little dirty (coffee maker still had old water, mirror in bathroom wasn't clean). We called down to the front desk (already knowing that the place was completely booked), and they sent up a cleaning crew right away.

We had a lovely view over Whaler's Village and we could easily see the ocean (and whales), as well as the mountains. I was worried about the noise issue as reported by other reviewers, but honestly, we didn't have any problems. However... not everyone in our group had the same experience. One of our couples had a room on a lower floor... with a view of garbage cans. They did get a new room on a higher floor and were very happy. And the couple in our group who stayed across the hall from us had a problem with their room on the last three days of our trip... their bathroom smelled horribly of sewer gas. It wasn't like that at the beginning of the trip, and we did call several times to report it to the front desk (I also smelled the sewer gas while out by the pool on one of those days, as well, so I'm wondering if there was some issue).

As part of our group stay, we had breakfast every morning outside. The buffet was pretty good... nothing spectacular. I had oatmeal or a made-to-order omelet most mornings. I was hoping that they would have amazing fruit like when we stayed on Kauai two years ago, but it wasn't anything better than what we eat back home.

I read the warnings from the other reviewers about the pitch for the time share properties. We did get the card under our door to claim our free chocolates, so we were braced for a pitch... but instead, we simply got some lovely chocolate covered caramel macadamia nut candies (yum) and no one tried to sell us on anything. The concierge staff was very helpful and provided great maps when we did the Road to Hana. So that was a pleasant surprise.

After breakfast, we loved the hotel staff demonstrations... how to open a coconut with a stick, how to luau, etc. That was fantastic and the staff was lovely and very interactive with the guests. Our group also attended the luau at this hotel, and it was probably the best luau I've ever been to. The food there was better than expected, and the talent was top-notch!

I did go to the spa on one day to get my hair done. Our group package included a photo shoot by the hotel's photographer, and I wanted to have something other than frizzy hair.. ha. The gals at the salon were very sweet and attentitive, and my hair looked fabulous. The photographer was very timely and professional... but there was a lot of wind and she just seemed to be following a formula when taking our picture... stand here, do this, do that, and we're done. She didn't really keep an eye to see if the wind was doing funky things with our hair as she was taking the photos... so of the 20+ images she took, only three were salvagable.

The location of this venue was pretty far from Lahaina (not walking distance), but there was so much to do along the beach and in Whaler's Villiage. Great restaurants, beautiful views... it was a lovely experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors as you will have better views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
We certainly appreciate the time you had taken to share your experiences, thank you! Our associates are most certainly our ambassadors of Aloha and take personal pride in connecting with our guests and creating engaging memories. Rest assured that we will also share your feedback for further improvement with our team. Aloha and stay well!
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Maui Westin in late February. We had a corner suite and were very excited about the fact that it had 3 balconies. We were first given a room on the 2nd floor. We asked for a room on a higher floor, but the person at the front desk told us there was nothing available. We could check back the next morning. We went to the room and were very disappointed with the room. The lanai's had an overhand next to them and the views were not very good. We went back to the front desk and asked what could be done. He went to his manager and somehow got us the exact same room on floor 9. This room was much better. The views were perfect. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was great. The furniture in the living room and carpeting were definitely dated, but not horrible.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. It is right next to Whaler's village so it is definitely convenient to some shops and restaurants.

We enjoyed the breakfasts at the hotel. The buffet and menu items were excellent.
The pool is amazing.

We were a little disappointed that the outdoor bar was so quiet and empty in the evenings/night time. However, it was a quick walk to Lahani's next door in Whaler's village.

We chose to park our rental car in the lot. This was interesting. The parking spots are VERY small. Most days and evenings we saw several cars/trucks that took up 2 parking spots. This made for full lots on most evenings. When the lot is full, the hotel allowed valet parking for free. This was a nice touch. The individuals working in valet were awesome - very customer service oriented.

We will definitely stay at the Westin in the future. We have stayed at the Hyatt in the past, and were pleased with that hotel. I liked the outdoor/pool bar better at the Hyatt, but really liked the location and pool at the Westin.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!