“great location, good clean rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
vancouver
“great location, good clean rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

my wife and I traveled to Maui in Mid december for vacation. we originally booked a mountain view room but they kindly upgraded us to a garden view room (overlooking the hotel "lagoon" and pools). we got a pretty decent deal for 7 nights ($1200 per person including airfare)

Positives
- location is probably the best aspect of this hotel. it's right next to the beach so you can spend time at the beach or retreat for a bit by the pools. you are a 20min walk along the beach to black rock where you can get some great snorkeling. you're 10mins from whaler's village where there are shops, food and an ABC store. you're about a 10 min drive to Lahaina and 20min from Napali bay where this is great public beach with great snorkeling. it probably took about 50-60mins from the airport.
- the rooms were fine. they were clean, a little older in style and perhaps not as new and modern as some of the other Westin's I've been to. the house cleaning was fine, a little inconsistent in terms of restocking consumables but the staff was always very friendly and willing to address our needs.
- we used their gym once and it was very nice, spacious and well equipped with many machines.
- the swimming pools aren't big but they are very nicely made and very family friendly. they have many seats and the pool staff were extremely nice and worked hard. the pool food was not cheap ($15 for nachos) but they were extremely tasty and you get a healthy serving. we ended up getting drinks and snacks from the ABC which helped us save some money
- if you refuse towel cleaning and can stand reusing your towels for a day, they give you a $5 voucher for every day you refuse towel changes. you can use this voucher any where on the resort which was wonderful in offsetting pool food costs. this is their "go green" option which I think is great.
- they have a shuttle service that comes around every 20mins or so and goes to several of the resorts along the strip and takes you into Lahaina (the closest bigger city) where you'll find many more shops and good restaurants. makes it very convenient if you don't want to drive
- the concierge was extremely nice and helpful, especially in giving directions and suggestions for restaurants (of course they want to rope you in for other promotions and sales but you are not obligated of course towards these things)
- we also booked a luau that is hosted at the hotel. it was my first so I have nothing to compare to, but it had tables and a buffet line. food was average to good and more than enough. the luau was fantastic with the Polynesian fire dancers.
- most of the restaurants in the area by the hotel are reasonable. you pay about $15-20 for an entree. my wife and I found that the portions are sufficient and we didn't always need to get a full entree each.

Negatives
- you have to pay a $30/day (if I remember correctly) resort fee. there's no avoiding this but it's supposed to cover your parking and you get internet (which worked fine for checking emails, facebook, and the occasional youtube). the resort fee also gets you a free westin cooler bag and a free photo session with one free photo (the idea of course is to get you to buy their picture package but you are not obligated to do so)
- in order to get towels for the pool area, you have to submit your towel cards at a towel tent. then you have to return your towels when done to get your towel cards back. if you leave your towel for any length of time you're at risk of having it picked up by a staff member and you're on the hook for having "lost" a towel. I don't know if other resorts do this and I understand their rationale but it's a bit of a pain in the behind to have to do this.
- the Ono bar and grill which is the onsite pool restaurant has breakfast but it's ridiculously expensive ($30 for all you can eat for adults and $20). that's a lot if you're staying there for a week or longer. again, we ended up buying some breakfast foods from the ABC.
- for the beach, you have to rent the covered chairs which is another cost.

conclusion:
- overall, the experience was good. we'd definitely consider staying there again. the negatives weren't deal breakers and we found alternatives.
- we ended up spending most of our time outside anyway and the room was comfortable and did the job.
- obviously I felt that we got a good deal on the hotel and I'm not sure I would feel the same though if we went during peak season.
- we do not have kids but it's obvious that the resort is very kid friendly as you can choose to walk out to the beach or spend time at the kid friendly pools.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Mahalo taking the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled you enjoyed our friendly service and resort offerings. We look forward to delighting you on your future visit! Malama pono (take care)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (982)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Topeka, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at this property with a group of six couples for my hubby's work event. I had read the mixed reviews, but am happy to report that we didn't have any of the problems with rude staff. We were able to check in without delay, but it was a little confusing finding the right set of elevators to get to our room. Once we did find it, our room was a little dirty (coffee maker still had old water, mirror in bathroom wasn't clean). We called down to the front desk (already knowing that the place was completely booked), and they sent up a cleaning crew right away.

We had a lovely view over Whaler's Village and we could easily see the ocean (and whales), as well as the mountains. I was worried about the noise issue as reported by other reviewers, but honestly, we didn't have any problems. However... not everyone in our group had the same experience. One of our couples had a room on a lower floor... with a view of garbage cans. They did get a new room on a higher floor and were very happy. And the couple in our group who stayed across the hall from us had a problem with their room on the last three days of our trip... their bathroom smelled horribly of sewer gas. It wasn't like that at the beginning of the trip, and we did call several times to report it to the front desk (I also smelled the sewer gas while out by the pool on one of those days, as well, so I'm wondering if there was some issue).

As part of our group stay, we had breakfast every morning outside. The buffet was pretty good... nothing spectacular. I had oatmeal or a made-to-order omelet most mornings. I was hoping that they would have amazing fruit like when we stayed on Kauai two years ago, but it wasn't anything better than what we eat back home.

I read the warnings from the other reviewers about the pitch for the time share properties. We did get the card under our door to claim our free chocolates, so we were braced for a pitch... but instead, we simply got some lovely chocolate covered caramel macadamia nut candies (yum) and no one tried to sell us on anything. The concierge staff was very helpful and provided great maps when we did the Road to Hana. So that was a pleasant surprise.

After breakfast, we loved the hotel staff demonstrations... how to open a coconut with a stick, how to luau, etc. That was fantastic and the staff was lovely and very interactive with the guests. Our group also attended the luau at this hotel, and it was probably the best luau I've ever been to. The food there was better than expected, and the talent was top-notch!

I did go to the spa on one day to get my hair done. Our group package included a photo shoot by the hotel's photographer, and I wanted to have something other than frizzy hair.. ha. The gals at the salon were very sweet and attentitive, and my hair looked fabulous. The photographer was very timely and professional... but there was a lot of wind and she just seemed to be following a formula when taking our picture... stand here, do this, do that, and we're done. She didn't really keep an eye to see if the wind was doing funky things with our hair as she was taking the photos... so of the 20+ images she took, only three were salvagable.

The location of this venue was pretty far from Lahaina (not walking distance), but there was so much to do along the beach and in Whaler's Villiage. Great restaurants, beautiful views... it was a lovely experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors as you will have better views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
We certainly appreciate the time you had taken to share your experiences, thank you! Our associates are most certainly our ambassadors of Aloha and take personal pride in connecting with our guests and creating engaging memories. Rest assured that we will also share your feedback for further improvement with our team. Aloha and stay well!
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Maui Westin in late February. We had a corner suite and were very excited about the fact that it had 3 balconies. We were first given a room on the 2nd floor. We asked for a room on a higher floor, but the person at the front desk told us there was nothing available. We could check back the next morning. We went to the room and were very disappointed with the room. The lanai's had an overhand next to them and the views were not very good. We went back to the front desk and asked what could be done. He went to his manager and somehow got us the exact same room on floor 9. This room was much better. The views were perfect. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was great. The furniture in the living room and carpeting were definitely dated, but not horrible.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. It is right next to Whaler's village so it is definitely convenient to some shops and restaurants.

We enjoyed the breakfasts at the hotel. The buffet and menu items were excellent.
The pool is amazing.

We were a little disappointed that the outdoor bar was so quiet and empty in the evenings/night time. However, it was a quick walk to Lahani's next door in Whaler's village.

We chose to park our rental car in the lot. This was interesting. The parking spots are VERY small. Most days and evenings we saw several cars/trucks that took up 2 parking spots. This made for full lots on most evenings. When the lot is full, the hotel allowed valet parking for free. This was a nice touch. The individuals working in valet were awesome - very customer service oriented.

We will definitely stay at the Westin in the future. We have stayed at the Hyatt in the past, and were pleased with that hotel. I liked the outdoor/pool bar better at the Hyatt, but really liked the location and pool at the Westin.

Duvall, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I recently stayed at the Maui Westin Resort and Spa. The rooms were old and dirty. The food and drinks were way over priced, and we even had to pay for chairs and an umbrella if we sat in the sand on the beach. At the prices they charge one would think we were at a 4 star resort. Very dissappointed overall.

Room Tip: Get a view room. 5th floor or higher.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We are truly sorry to learn that your Maui visit was not to your expectations. Your feedback is much appreciated and we hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the future. in. Stay well.
Changzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place was amazing... the staff was great very attentive. food was a bit expensive but very good. the beach was amazing could see whales from the shore, this place is amazing and if you stay here make sure you do the Lu'au am excited to go back! Very easy to stay here with our one year old

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mahalo for your glowing review. It was certainly our pleasure to be your “home away from home”. Thank you and we look forward to your future stay! Malama pono (take care)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The hotel's garden and pools are spectacular. Birds flocks on the tree during the dusk. Feels very tropical and natural. However, I have to say I was still a little disappointed when entered the standard room even I was already aware of the small size. Perhaps the hotel spent most of the money outside? Which kind of makes sense, because you are in Hawaii, why stay in the room? However, I still wish the room can be a little better. Now it's far away from decent. Parking space is very limited and small.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mahalo for your review and compliments. Your feedback is valuable to us and we have shared it with our team for further improvements. We look forward to delighting you with our new enhancements in the future. Aloha!
Prince George, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I just got back from 8 nights in the Westin Maui Resport & Spa. I had read the tips and we requested a high floor in the Beach complex. We arrived late at night and they apparently didn't have high rooms, so were given a room on the 4th floor, but it was a Premier Deluxe Ocean View room that had a king bed and a sofa (which is what we'd booked originally). It was large and we had a great view of the ocean and the sunset every night. The pool was noisy, but it was not bothersomenoise since the various waterfalls muffled the noises. The 5 pools are beautiful and the waterslide is wicked!! There's secret rocky grottos hidden below the waterfalls. There is an adult pool and hot tup. They also have little cabanas which can be used by anyone as long as they aren't already reserved. We sat in one (they are great when it's windy) and we watched whales all day long. I had researched ahead of time and learned that to have an umbrella and 2 deck chairs on the beach itself would be $37 per day. So I ordered a collapsible umbrella for $39.95 from portabrella.com ahead of time and used that with towels on the beach. Worked like a charm! The food and drinks were expensive, but that was to be expected. The day we left, our flight didn't leaveuntil 11pm, so we asked for an extended checkout (we got till 2pm at no extra charge) and then they held our luggage for us and let us use their pool - at the end of the day we booked 1/2 hour in their hospitality suite to shower and change at no charge. The hotel is next to the best shopping - beautiful clothes and gifts. There is also a lovely beachwalk and many restaurants right on the beach next to the hotel. Once a week there is a delightful craft fair right on the hotel property. I snorkeled every day and found several different kinds of beautiful fish within 20 feet off the beach in front of the hotel. I even swam with 2 turtles there one day! The better snorkeling is at Black Rock, a short walk (or swim) away. There are several free hourly shuttles that take you to Lahaina so you can shop or dine out. There are three resident parrots that talk and lots and lots of koi (and flamingoes, swans and ducks) in the huge lobby pond. And every morning and evening there are thousands of birds that gather in the trees over the pond - they are so loud you can hardly hear for about 1/2 an hour every day. It is remarkable (and neat). Yes, I would recommend this place, but it's not cheap.

Room Tip: Be sure to choose a room in the Beach building and be sure to get an ocean/pool view rather than the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your review and for choosing The Westin Maui Resort & Spa for your tropical escape. We are delighted you enjoyed our resort and look forward to creating many memorable experiences upon your next romantic retreat. Warmest aloha from all of us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!