“Fairly Comfortable Vist” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 28 hotels in Lahaina
Sacramento, California
“Fairly Comfortable Vist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was our first visit to Kaanapali Beach and we chose the Westin Maui Resort because it was the most cost effective resort out of the 4 main large resorts (re: Westin, Marriot, Hyatt, Sheraton,etc;). We were made aware ahead of time about exhorbitant resort pricing and we weren't disappointed. Very pricy meals not only at the hotel but also Whalers Village restaurants and resort locations (Breakfast for 2 about $40.00/daily). Our room was clean (no insects) but with many miles on the carpet. (What do you expect at a beachfront resort with sandy feet coming into every room 24/7?). The $30.00/day resort fee covered our beach towels and 2 bottles of water per day placed in our little refridgerator. With the sliding door closed at night it was quiet. We were hardly in our rooms. Out every morning for long walks and changing into beach and pool attire in the afternoon. Considering the pricy nature of Kaanapali Beach resorts, the Westin was respectable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

2,914 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I really loved this hotel! The room had a few cosmetic issues, but nothing to complain about. The bed was very comfortable, and everything was clean. We booked on Priceline and got an amazing rate(you just don't know which resort before paying, so you take a gamble). My room was on the 2nd floor facing the pool/garden area. Lots of beautiful landscaping, flowers, waterfalls & birds overlooking the large Koi pond. Our room was close to the elevator (223), and I could hear it going up and down. If you open the patio door the waterfall drowns out this noise, and it was never a problem for us.
The parking was free, but filled up, then they would Valet you for free.
Some renovations are going on, the only evidence of this was an exterior construction elevator.
We ate the food buffet one morning and found it average. The servers out there were slow and on island time, but so was I, so it wasn't a problem.
Water slide is a must! Fun!
I love the location of the property, right next to all the great restaurants!

Room Tip: I would prefer a garden/beach room, but could be loud for some people. For my amazing rate I was ha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The previous review is spot on. This hotel does not come close to what should be Westin standards. Small cramped outdated rooms, poorly designed. Lounge chairs by pool totally jammed up against one another perfect if you're a sardine. Pool service virtually non-existant. They put used amenity bottles in the room! The manager did not seem to concerned when complained, offered nothing in good will. On the par of a budget hotel. Location was good.

Room Tip: Tip for a good room is to go elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Mahalo for your candid feedback. Please know that we truly care for our guests and we hope to exceed your expectations in the future. Stay well.
Vancouver, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights. We were expecting amazing, and we got very nice. Lobby was nice with the waterfalls.
Check in was a little slow, and alouf. Once we got our keys and went to the room, it was on the 2nd floor overlooking the parking lot. Yes, we did pay for a garden/mountain view, so I was not expecting an oceanview, but I did not expect a 2nd floor parking lot view. I certainly did not feel the "amazing" nor did I feel on holidays. We immediately went back down to reception to ask for a "garden" view as that is what we paid for. We then got a room on the 2nd floor on the opposite side facing the "garden" and walkway and a tree infront. I was happy with that. At around sunset (5:30/6pm) a roost of birds starting flocking to the tree just infront of our room "Angry" birds is how someone discribed them. They sqaucked loudly for over an hour. No worries, I thought it was kinda neat.... Until 5am! Not so cool..... But nothing we can do, it's nature....
The bed was fantastic. Super comfortable bed. This was a big plus, and very important for me.
Bathroom could have used some updating.....but it was okay. Again, I was expecting amazing, and got very nice..
I do understand the resort fee of $30. as most hotels are now charging this...
I don't like it, but I do understand it. I just wish that it would be "user pay" as we did not need parking, nor internet, so it kinda irked me.
I found the prices at the coffee shop and restaurants to be high, but it is a resort, and has resort pricing....
All in all it was a nice trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our stay at the Westin was amazing. Why people complain is each to there own, but our stay was not affected by any of the posted bad reviews. From front desk service, room, view, beach and dinning, all of it was perfect. There are always little things that one could complain about if that is in their nature, but why. This is an incredible property and will recommend it to my friends. We have stayed in several hotels and resorts in Maui and they all will have something to complain about if you are inclined. My suggestion is focus on the positive reviews of a property and The Westin Maui is in a great location with wonderful amenities.

Room Tip: 3rd floor up has the best views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

The location is great. Right on the beach. Wonderful staff made your stay very enjoyable.
Michael the pineapple guy treats you like a VIP and is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.
Erina, Sheryl and Kathy from concierge are extremely kind and always had a smile.
Ed the bartender kept the guests entertained while at the bar.
Nazzy the waiter treated everyone like kings and queens.
Would definitely go back to this resort.
Highly recommended !

• Stayed January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

They claim they have great beds and they do. The view from my room was amazing. The food as good. The beach is not great though and it was not close to the restaurant. I was in business in Maui so I could not check the spa or the gym but the hotel is close to a running trail. The lobby is nice as it has the feeling of a jungle. Obviously the staff were very nice to us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!