“Maui Trip gone bad” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 28 hotels in Lahaina
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Maui Trip gone bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My daughter and I arrived on 11/17 for a trip to Maui but also for the Maui Invitiational. Check in was through our group which was a very rushed process.
The daily cleaning service was very limited as dirty glasses were left throughout our stay and a room service tray was not removed at all. They made the bed and left the tray on the clean bed linens.
Multiple times I had to go back down and get keys that would work and one night it took three trips down.
Our last day there we were asked to move from the bar area due to dinner set up and the restaurant was not full at that time (4:30 PM).
I didnt choose this property but will not go back.
This was my 6th trip to Maui and typically stay in Wailea and the service and quality is top notch there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Mahalo for your candid review. Please accept our sincere apologies for not providing you with a renewing Westin experience. By no means did we intend to disappoint as we truly strive to create positive and lasting memories for our guests. We are concerned about the events you mentioned and have shared them with our management team for improvements as clearly this not representative of our standards. Again, we sincerely apologize and thank you for this opportunity to enhance our services. We do wish to welcome you and your wonderful family back in the future. Aloha!

2,909 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Korean first
Mckinney, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed for a long Thanksgiving vacation November 22, 2012 - November 28, 2012. Upon check in we were greated with shell leis and didn't have to wait but a few minutes for a check in agent. We were upgraded to the Beach Tower with an ocean view. The room was very large, so was the bathroom, with dual vanities. I assume this is a newer, upgraded tower because the room and goods in the room were very modern.
The pool area looked fun, but we didn't use it very often, as we prefer the beach. You can turn in towel keys for beach towels and take them for the day, as we enjoyed going to the quieter, secluded beaches, dozens within 20 minutes of the resort (head north on 30). We even rented snorkel gear for $15 per day and took this with us. The beach at the resort was very nice, and not crowded at all. The pools were way more crowded.
We dined at On'O and Tropica twice, as well as the Beach Bar. We had dinner at Sheraton as well and were able to charge this to our room. Whaler's Village is next door with several shops and restaurants to choose from. Lahaina is a short 5 - 10 minute drive south with several dining and shopping options on Front Street. Our favorite meal was at Merriman's in Kapalua...make reservations and make sure you're there for the sunset!
We also went to Wailele, the hotel's Luau. It was all you can eat and drink, well worth it with an awesome fire dance.
The staff was very friendly and all seemed like they were having fun while on the job. We can't wait to go back to The Westin.

Room Tip: Book a room in the Beach Tower
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for your 5-star review! We are delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay and appreciate you for recognizing our efforts in creating an unforgettable experience for all our guests from the rooms to the Wailele Luau. Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back for another renewing experience. Aloha!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was our 3rd stay at the Westin Maui. We love the location on Kaanapali, the pool is the best, and generally the Westin brand is among my favorites.Don't get me wrong; this is still a very nice hotel and we will stay here again, but like other reviewers the rooms are showing their age. The renovations they have underway couldn't be completed soon enough, IMO. Just a few minor things that could push this hotel back to the high standards that Westin normally delivers on.
We had a deluxe ocean view room on the 7th floor. I believe this was an SPG Platinum upgrade. The rooms are bigger on this side of the hotel; however, I think next time I would want to face the pool or be on a higher floor, because there was a lot of noise in the parking lot below behind Whalers early in the morning. Delivery trucks backing up etc. Also, the giant tree just below our room was full of birds which at first seems nice but, not at 6am.
We had the breakfast buffet a couple of times and it was fine, but we actually spent one night at the Hyatt down the beach before arriving here, and thought theirs was better. More options, attentive staff clearing plates quickly, and just better food including fresh OJ (unlike the Westin, who would charge you $8.00/glass for fresh-squeezed OJ-we asked. ). I think they can step it up a little here.
Make sure you give every arriving guest a lei as I never received one. Not too tough.
We requested a late check-out and they said they could accommodate us, but only if we moved to a different room. We went ahead and checked out on time because why bother?
The good stuff here: the adult pool, the lava flows, the waterfall, birds, flamingos, and koi, the friendly staff, free access to the spa facilities if you are SPG Platinum, the yoga classes, and the location right in the middle of it all on Kaanapali in front of the best stretch of beach. That's why we'll stay here again. Just hope to see some polish applied by then.
Tip: Never pay for Valet parking-the self-park lot is a 2 minute walk from the entrance so not worth the extra $.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

When you walk "into" (you're really still partly outside) the Westin Ka'anapali - there is a gorgeous waterfall/lake area with wildlife that's super cool and gives an awesome first impression. Then, you get to the check-in desk where - at my most recent and previous stay - usually only one person is working despite all the terminals and people in line. No idea why it's so poorly staffed day in and day out. Sometimes this process is quick, sometimes not ... depends on who is ahead of you, of course. Next, you go to your room - which was always kinda smallish but used to be up to typical Westin standards only now has begun to deteriorate. I thought last year maybe I just got a bad room but after going back this year - I can only assume it's all the rooms since it happened again. The bathroom, while home of the lovely Westin showerheads I adore, is super small and the regular rooms are really not ideal for more than two people. Of course, it's Maui and you're hopefully not in the room that much - but just know these are perhaps the worst maintained Westin rooms in the States (and seem smaller than any other than Manhattan). All of that said, again, the grounds are lovely ... great pool and nice beachfront access. Lots of activities and decent dining options on site and within a short walking distance. Staff is very friendly - just seems like there aren't enough of them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Loved the pools and grounds. So tropical and lush. Lots of waterfalls. Hotel is under renovation now so our room was pretty tired looking. Had to put towels on bathroom floor to cover all the stains and dirty grout areas. We had a good travelzoo deal so it was easier to overlook than if we had paid full. We would definitely return. Birds at sunset and dawn outside our lanai were a bit of a pain. So loud we needed earplugs every morning even with door shut. Also waterfall runs all night so that's loud too, but actually drowns out hotel guest noise so that's a plus, after you get used to it. The one thing I did notice after a week was that my ears were tired of all the noises. Call it ear fatigue. There are so many waterfalls around and in the pools that its loud all day just sitting at the pool and then our room was looking at the main lobby waterfall plus the flamingos sqwaking and the birds swarming twice a day. I wouldn't change any of it, except the birds, but I just noticed it at the end of many days. The waterfalls are the best feature of the hotel in my opinion. They do help drown out most people around you at the pool so it's easy to relax.

San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I last stayed at this hotel several years ago, and back then, it was lovely. Based on my past positive experience, I recently booked a 4 night stay. But I'm sorry to say that the Westin Maui has deteriorated over the years and I will never stay at this hotel again.

First, the customer service. All of the staff are nice, but Westin has apparently made a business decision to cut back its staff. And it shows. For example, during peak check in/check out time, roughly 10am to 3pm, they had only one person at the front desk, and a line of people snaking around the lobby . When checking out, my husband and I first tried to use the TV check-out (not working), and then called the front desk. No one answered after we let the phone ring for about 5 minutes. I then called the concierge, who said that the front desk was too busy to process our check-out. We ended up telling them we were just leaving because we had a plane to catch.

As another example, on our floor some guests left some pizza boxes and candy wrappers by the elevator. These pizza boxes and candy wrappers were left out for hours before housekeeping came by and picked them up. Additionally, the chairs by the console table on our floor had really dirty cushions, that looked like they hadn't been cleaned for some time.

In our room, there was some mold on the bathroom walls and ceiling, and what looked like cigarette burns on the inside shower curtain. It also appeared that a previous guest had sprayed cola on one of the columns by the mini-fridge, but housekeeping had not wiped it down.

On the grounds themselves, the inside lobby stone floor (which is open to the grounds) was very dusty with a significant number of leaves that had not been swept away. It looked like they infrequently sweep the lobby area.

All in all, it just seems like the management at this location has stopped caring and is cutting corners anywhere they can. I used to love this hotel. The beach itself and the location is great. But sadly, when I return to Maui, I will not be staying at the Westin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for your important feedback. It is heartbreaking to read that we have lost a valuable and loyal guest. We take this feedback seriously and have shared it with our senior leadership team. We apologize for this experience. We hope to have an opportunity to restore your faith in our resort when you return. Aloha.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Westin is a nice facility. Was there recently for the Maui Invitational Nov 18 - 24. Spa massage was wonderful and Marisol is excellent. Took full advantage of fitness center. One of the best, with an outdoor option. Disappointed no microwaves in room. We like popcorn. Buffet breakfast was pricey but worth it at least one time. Whalers Village has lots of shopping right next to property. Good places to eat cheap if you have big group or children. Luau? We did the Old Lahaina Luau. Traditional and lots of room to move about. I was told Luau at the Westin was as nice, nor worth the cost. For cost, buffet, drinks and entertainment-- Old Lahaina is way to go! Very open concept in hotel. Nice staff. If I had to do again, would go the Villas at the Westin. We had two rooms, and could have saved a little had we gotten large Villa for 5, and cooked some. All in all... The Westin was good.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!