“Our favorite on Kaanapali, but ready for a facelift” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Chicago, Illinois
“Our favorite on Kaanapali, but ready for a facelift”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was our 3rd stay at the Westin Maui. We love the location on Kaanapali, the pool is the best, and generally the Westin brand is among my favorites.Don't get me wrong; this is still a very nice hotel and we will stay here again, but like other reviewers the rooms are showing their age. The renovations they have underway couldn't be completed soon enough, IMO. Just a few minor things that could push this hotel back to the high standards that Westin normally delivers on.
We had a deluxe ocean view room on the 7th floor. I believe this was an SPG Platinum upgrade. The rooms are bigger on this side of the hotel; however, I think next time I would want to face the pool or be on a higher floor, because there was a lot of noise in the parking lot below behind Whalers early in the morning. Delivery trucks backing up etc. Also, the giant tree just below our room was full of birds which at first seems nice but, not at 6am.
We had the breakfast buffet a couple of times and it was fine, but we actually spent one night at the Hyatt down the beach before arriving here, and thought theirs was better. More options, attentive staff clearing plates quickly, and just better food including fresh OJ (unlike the Westin, who would charge you $8.00/glass for fresh-squeezed OJ-we asked. ). I think they can step it up a little here.
Make sure you give every arriving guest a lei as I never received one. Not too tough.
We requested a late check-out and they said they could accommodate us, but only if we moved to a different room. We went ahead and checked out on time because why bother?
The good stuff here: the adult pool, the lava flows, the waterfall, birds, flamingos, and koi, the friendly staff, free access to the spa facilities if you are SPG Platinum, the yoga classes, and the location right in the middle of it all on Kaanapali in front of the best stretch of beach. That's why we'll stay here again. Just hope to see some polish applied by then.
Tip: Never pay for Valet parking-the self-park lot is a 2 minute walk from the entrance so not worth the extra $.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

When you walk "into" (you're really still partly outside) the Westin Ka'anapali - there is a gorgeous waterfall/lake area with wildlife that's super cool and gives an awesome first impression. Then, you get to the check-in desk where - at my most recent and previous stay - usually only one person is working despite all the terminals and people in line. No idea why it's so poorly staffed day in and day out. Sometimes this process is quick, sometimes not ... depends on who is ahead of you, of course. Next, you go to your room - which was always kinda smallish but used to be up to typical Westin standards only now has begun to deteriorate. I thought last year maybe I just got a bad room but after going back this year - I can only assume it's all the rooms since it happened again. The bathroom, while home of the lovely Westin showerheads I adore, is super small and the regular rooms are really not ideal for more than two people. Of course, it's Maui and you're hopefully not in the room that much - but just know these are perhaps the worst maintained Westin rooms in the States (and seem smaller than any other than Manhattan). All of that said, again, the grounds are lovely ... great pool and nice beachfront access. Lots of activities and decent dining options on site and within a short walking distance. Staff is very friendly - just seems like there aren't enough of them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Loved the pools and grounds. So tropical and lush. Lots of waterfalls. Hotel is under renovation now so our room was pretty tired looking. Had to put towels on bathroom floor to cover all the stains and dirty grout areas. We had a good travelzoo deal so it was easier to overlook than if we had paid full. We would definitely return. Birds at sunset and dawn outside our lanai were a bit of a pain. So loud we needed earplugs every morning even with door shut. Also waterfall runs all night so that's loud too, but actually drowns out hotel guest noise so that's a plus, after you get used to it. The one thing I did notice after a week was that my ears were tired of all the noises. Call it ear fatigue. There are so many waterfalls around and in the pools that its loud all day just sitting at the pool and then our room was looking at the main lobby waterfall plus the flamingos sqwaking and the birds swarming twice a day. I wouldn't change any of it, except the birds, but I just noticed it at the end of many days. The waterfalls are the best feature of the hotel in my opinion. They do help drown out most people around you at the pool so it's easy to relax.

San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I last stayed at this hotel several years ago, and back then, it was lovely. Based on my past positive experience, I recently booked a 4 night stay. But I'm sorry to say that the Westin Maui has deteriorated over the years and I will never stay at this hotel again.

First, the customer service. All of the staff are nice, but Westin has apparently made a business decision to cut back its staff. And it shows. For example, during peak check in/check out time, roughly 10am to 3pm, they had only one person at the front desk, and a line of people snaking around the lobby . When checking out, my husband and I first tried to use the TV check-out (not working), and then called the front desk. No one answered after we let the phone ring for about 5 minutes. I then called the concierge, who said that the front desk was too busy to process our check-out. We ended up telling them we were just leaving because we had a plane to catch.

As another example, on our floor some guests left some pizza boxes and candy wrappers by the elevator. These pizza boxes and candy wrappers were left out for hours before housekeeping came by and picked them up. Additionally, the chairs by the console table on our floor had really dirty cushions, that looked like they hadn't been cleaned for some time.

In our room, there was some mold on the bathroom walls and ceiling, and what looked like cigarette burns on the inside shower curtain. It also appeared that a previous guest had sprayed cola on one of the columns by the mini-fridge, but housekeeping had not wiped it down.

On the grounds themselves, the inside lobby stone floor (which is open to the grounds) was very dusty with a significant number of leaves that had not been swept away. It looked like they infrequently sweep the lobby area.

All in all, it just seems like the management at this location has stopped caring and is cutting corners anywhere they can. I used to love this hotel. The beach itself and the location is great. But sadly, when I return to Maui, I will not be staying at the Westin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for your important feedback. It is heartbreaking to read that we have lost a valuable and loyal guest. We take this feedback seriously and have shared it with our senior leadership team. We apologize for this experience. We hope to have an opportunity to restore your faith in our resort when you return. Aloha.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Westin is a nice facility. Was there recently for the Maui Invitational Nov 18 - 24. Spa massage was wonderful and Marisol is excellent. Took full advantage of fitness center. One of the best, with an outdoor option. Disappointed no microwaves in room. We like popcorn. Buffet breakfast was pricey but worth it at least one time. Whalers Village has lots of shopping right next to property. Good places to eat cheap if you have big group or children. Luau? We did the Old Lahaina Luau. Traditional and lots of room to move about. I was told Luau at the Westin was as nice, nor worth the cost. For cost, buffet, drinks and entertainment-- Old Lahaina is way to go! Very open concept in hotel. Nice staff. If I had to do again, would go the Villas at the Westin. We had two rooms, and could have saved a little had we gotten large Villa for 5, and cooked some. All in all... The Westin was good.

• Stayed November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful stay while in town for the Maui Invitational college basketball games. The hotel has a wow factor with flamingos, koi, and a black swan in the water hawaiian oasis as soon as you step inside the hotel lobby. This area is combined with the large hotel pool that contains several waterfalls, an adult pool area, and a big waterslide for ages. Very beautiful.

Other reviews stated the rooms at the Westin were small and dated, but I think you need to request a room in the newer Beach Tower for a better experience. The rooms here are a nice-sized hotel room, not too big and not too small. Our room 973 was very clean, modern, and sleek. The balcony was a nice size and could fit 2-3 people for sitting. We had a view of the ocean, the Sheraton Blackrock in the distance (10min walk from hotel along beach path), and Whalers Village directly below us. You get 2 bottles of water each day, and there's a little fridge in the room to store drinks as well. Beds are comfortable too, very plush.

The Westin has complimentary shuttle service to Lahaina shops on Front Street as well as service to the Old Lahaina Luau. For snorkeling, walk 10mins to the Sheraton Blackrock beach so you can see beautiful fish and sea turtles too if you're lucky! Parasailing and paddle boarding activities are available right in front of the Westin.

The hotel staff was very accomadating and very nice. We had a late flight so after we checked out at 12pm, we spent the rest of the day at the beach and the hotel later gave us access to the hospitality room for 30mins so we could shower and get ready before going to the airport at 8pm. That was very convenient. Overall, we will definitely be staying here when we return to Lahaina, Maui.

Room Tip: Request a room at the Beach Tower
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Hyatt, two hotels down from this property. The food at the Hyatt was great. Here, not so much. I like everyone else on here, am pretty surprised by the condition of the rooms. I don't care so much that they are small, but the rooms are in serious need of some major cleaning. We moved from one here at the Westin to another today, as they were able to give us an "upgrade". However the "upgrade" room has a big black stain on the middle of the carpet, which every time we walk on it with bare feet I think that I'm stepping into syrup or something gross. The bathrooms are tiny, dirty, and the wallpaper in this room has big blotches on it, either it is peeling or someone threw something on it. this is the upgraded room. The one we had previously that overlooked the parking lot, had goop spilled in the fridge that no one cleaned up. I got the rooms on priceline, so I kind of feel like I got what I paid for, but at the same time, I would not classify this property as a RESORT category on Priceline, other than the fact they have an amazing pool--which also looks like it could use a cleaning. We're here for another week, so I will live with it. If you get this on Priceline for really cheap, then go for it, but if you are trying to decide between this and other properties in this price range, then I would advise you to read those reviews before selecting this property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!