“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
San Jose, CA
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I last stayed at this hotel several years ago, and back then, it was lovely. Based on my past positive experience, I recently booked a 4 night stay. But I'm sorry to say that the Westin Maui has deteriorated over the years and I will never stay at this hotel again.

First, the customer service. All of the staff are nice, but Westin has apparently made a business decision to cut back its staff. And it shows. For example, during peak check in/check out time, roughly 10am to 3pm, they had only one person at the front desk, and a line of people snaking around the lobby . When checking out, my husband and I first tried to use the TV check-out (not working), and then called the front desk. No one answered after we let the phone ring for about 5 minutes. I then called the concierge, who said that the front desk was too busy to process our check-out. We ended up telling them we were just leaving because we had a plane to catch.

As another example, on our floor some guests left some pizza boxes and candy wrappers by the elevator. These pizza boxes and candy wrappers were left out for hours before housekeeping came by and picked them up. Additionally, the chairs by the console table on our floor had really dirty cushions, that looked like they hadn't been cleaned for some time.

In our room, there was some mold on the bathroom walls and ceiling, and what looked like cigarette burns on the inside shower curtain. It also appeared that a previous guest had sprayed cola on one of the columns by the mini-fridge, but housekeeping had not wiped it down.

On the grounds themselves, the inside lobby stone floor (which is open to the grounds) was very dusty with a significant number of leaves that had not been swept away. It looked like they infrequently sweep the lobby area.

All in all, it just seems like the management at this location has stopped caring and is cutting corners anywhere they can. I used to love this hotel. The beach itself and the location is great. But sadly, when I return to Maui, I will not be staying at the Westin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for your important feedback. It is heartbreaking to read that we have lost a valuable and loyal guest. We take this feedback seriously and have shared it with our senior leadership team. We apologize for this experience. We hope to have an opportunity to restore your faith in our resort when you return. Aloha.

3,079 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Westin is a nice facility. Was there recently for the Maui Invitational Nov 18 - 24. Spa massage was wonderful and Marisol is excellent. Took full advantage of fitness center. One of the best, with an outdoor option. Disappointed no microwaves in room. We like popcorn. Buffet breakfast was pricey but worth it at least one time. Whalers Village has lots of shopping right next to property. Good places to eat cheap if you have big group or children. Luau? We did the Old Lahaina Luau. Traditional and lots of room to move about. I was told Luau at the Westin was as nice, nor worth the cost. For cost, buffet, drinks and entertainment-- Old Lahaina is way to go! Very open concept in hotel. Nice staff. If I had to do again, would go the Villas at the Westin. We had two rooms, and could have saved a little had we gotten large Villa for 5, and cooked some. All in all... The Westin was good.

• Stayed November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful stay while in town for the Maui Invitational college basketball games. The hotel has a wow factor with flamingos, koi, and a black swan in the water hawaiian oasis as soon as you step inside the hotel lobby. This area is combined with the large hotel pool that contains several waterfalls, an adult pool area, and a big waterslide for ages. Very beautiful.

Other reviews stated the rooms at the Westin were small and dated, but I think you need to request a room in the newer Beach Tower for a better experience. The rooms here are a nice-sized hotel room, not too big and not too small. Our room 973 was very clean, modern, and sleek. The balcony was a nice size and could fit 2-3 people for sitting. We had a view of the ocean, the Sheraton Blackrock in the distance (10min walk from hotel along beach path), and Whalers Village directly below us. You get 2 bottles of water each day, and there's a little fridge in the room to store drinks as well. Beds are comfortable too, very plush.

The Westin has complimentary shuttle service to Lahaina shops on Front Street as well as service to the Old Lahaina Luau. For snorkeling, walk 10mins to the Sheraton Blackrock beach so you can see beautiful fish and sea turtles too if you're lucky! Parasailing and paddle boarding activities are available right in front of the Westin.

The hotel staff was very accomadating and very nice. We had a late flight so after we checked out at 12pm, we spent the rest of the day at the beach and the hotel later gave us access to the hospitality room for 30mins so we could shower and get ready before going to the airport at 8pm. That was very convenient. Overall, we will definitely be staying here when we return to Lahaina, Maui.

Room Tip: Request a room at the Beach Tower
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Hyatt, two hotels down from this property. The food at the Hyatt was great. Here, not so much. I like everyone else on here, am pretty surprised by the condition of the rooms. I don't care so much that they are small, but the rooms are in serious need of some major cleaning. We moved from one here at the Westin to another today, as they were able to give us an "upgrade". However the "upgrade" room has a big black stain on the middle of the carpet, which every time we walk on it with bare feet I think that I'm stepping into syrup or something gross. The bathrooms are tiny, dirty, and the wallpaper in this room has big blotches on it, either it is peeling or someone threw something on it. this is the upgraded room. The one we had previously that overlooked the parking lot, had goop spilled in the fridge that no one cleaned up. I got the rooms on priceline, so I kind of feel like I got what I paid for, but at the same time, I would not classify this property as a RESORT category on Priceline, other than the fact they have an amazing pool--which also looks like it could use a cleaning. We're here for another week, so I will live with it. If you get this on Priceline for really cheap, then go for it, but if you are trying to decide between this and other properties in this price range, then I would advise you to read those reviews before selecting this property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AUSTIN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Wonderful hotel on a beautiful beach. Steps away from good snorkeling . Great location on Kaanapali Beach. Near shops, courtesy shuttle to Lahina runs every 30 minutes. Poolside restaurant has a nice selection of items on menu. Fun waterslides and waterfals make for a fun time for everyone.

• Stayed October 2012
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. The biggest issue was elevator noise, its quite loud. Make sure it is as far as possible from the elevator. We were 3 rooms down and heard elevator going up and down. This is by far the loudest elevator I have ever seen. Our deluxe room was pretty dirty and dusty and we had ants (we were on the 3rd floor). Carpet needed some serious cleaning, room needed some serious dusting and cleaning! Mini-fridge had some old cheese... not sure how long it was there for. Bottom line, this hotel is really a motel! It needs some major cleaning or remodeling and a new elevator! Forgot to mention towels... they used to be white and not torn... not sure how long ago that was.

Room Tip: Far from elevator but expect a dirty room :(
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review with us. These are most helpful in our endeavors to deliver personal and instinctive services. Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We look forward to creating a renewing stay in the future. Malama ono (take care).
Plymouth, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is the third visit to this hotel in four years. We have always requested ocean view, and Had rooms on the ninth floor on the first two visits. And they were quite satisfactory with an excellent few of the ocean and sunset .But on the last visit we were given rooms on the sixth floor, When I expressed my concern about the view
I was assurred that the view would be equal. We'll nothing could be further from the truth. I returned to the lobby to express my displeasure and was told that that was all that was available. I then asked for the manager and a nice young lady came out to help me and the next day we were moved to another building that had the view I requested and paid for.We traveled from Boston and if push came to shove we would have stayed at another Hotel.

This Hotel was a 5 star is now a 4 and on the way to a three. The breakfast Buffet was always excellant, very pricey, but not this trip. There were no eggs benedict on the buffet but were available of the menu for three dollars, the birds were always a problem but the waitstaff kept them in check but this trip the birds were able to help themselves to sausage and home fries. I love Maui but comming from Boston I will consider other Hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your honest review and loyalty to the Westin Maui Resort & Spa. Rest assured that we have shared your experience with our team for follow up. We hope to have another opportunity for you to find renewal on Maui. Warmest aloha!

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!