“Beautiful property” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
Buffalo, New York
“Beautiful property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Westin the last week in October while I attended a conference there. The property is beautiful with lush green space, multiple pools, and a broad sandy beach. The rooms are typical, average sized hotel rooms with a tiny balcony. We asked for a King bed but got 2 doubles...one of which became a repository for clothes, hats, and miscellaneous. Not perfect, but acceptable. As others have mentioned, we took advantage of the green initiative and used our vouchers for snacks at the restaurant. Be aware that if you choose this option, maids will not enter the room even to empty the garbage. They might consider garbage removal and a quick bathroom cleaning which doesn't interfere with the "green" approach.

Flamingos, ducks, and swans wade in the pond with waterfalls and huge koi. There is a waterslide and basketball net in the pool. There is also a hidden pool with jets under the waterfall passage to the next pool. Not heated, but fun. The beach had moderately high waves with a strong undertow when we were there so we stuck to the pools. Also, while lounges and shade are provided at the pool, You have to pay over $30 a day for lounges and umbrellas at the beach...kind of chintzy if you ask me.

Whaler's Village is right next door for shopping and restaurants. Happy Hour at Leilani's, $4 margaritas and appetizers...I strongly recommend the fish tacos. The shuttle into Lahaina was free and convenient. It drops you off at Hilo Hatties...one end of Front street, the main drag for galleries, shopping, and dining. Make sure you duck inside Hilo Hatties for your free shell lei.

All in all, a very positive experience at the Westin.

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms face the mountain and the golf course. The views even from there are beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (789)
  • Korean first
Victoria BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

J ust got home from 5 days at the Westin Maui resort. Our stay was realxing and very enjoyable. First of all the grounds were spectaular and the pools a perfect temp. Lots of loungers available.
I was pleased when it was noticed that I was a platinum memeber and that the front desk tried so very hard to upgrade me but the resort was packed full. They later contacted me and said they could get me an ocean front room for the last 3 days so we took it. The efforts were appreciated. The rooms are on the small side but clean and efficient with a great Heavenly Bed. It's not a new Hotel and I understand they are also renovating now. I am a huge Westin fan as well as a Westin owner and SPG is the best points program by far. The location is perfect as its near everything but still very quiet. We will return

Room Tip: Higher Floors and Ocean view is the way to go!
White Rock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I'm a SPG Platinum member, so we got an upgrade to an oceanview room, but I have to concur with other reviewers... The rooms are smallish in size.

Facilities:
You can tell this place may have been really hot about 20-30 years ago. It's been refurbished extensively, but there's only so much you can do. The pools are multiple and extensive. The shuttle to Lahaina is very convenient if you don't have a vehicle. The coffee in the room is terrible. My wife loved Bob, the dancing parrot.

Staff:
The staff is very accomodating and helpful. We had a personal concierge, Moni, who was very helpful, even though we didn't use any of his services. He even called me on my cell a week before our trip to introduce himself. He had a "welcome gift" for us and roped us to a "Facilities Tour" which turns out to be a Timeshare Presentation for SPG.

In-Room Experience:
Being a Westin property I would have thought they would have Starbucks or Seattle's Best in the room, but instead it was some Kona Hawaiian Roasted no name brand. Really nasty stuff. Balcony was kind of small and we had cigarette smoke waft in our room from a balcony below us.

Beach:
Very nice... The shoreline further north is littered with bolders which make the wave action dangerous when you are swimming.

Bonus:
This property has a "going green" program. If you skip room service, they give you 5 dollars in food and beverage or 500 SPG points. Very good idea.

Room Tip: Be a Gold/Platinum member. They are very accomodating and ask for an upgrade when you're at the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Mahalo for sharing your experiences. We regret the room coffee was not to your liking as our visitors often request for local coffee. However, Colonnade Café by the resort’s koi pond gardens serves Starbucks specialty coffees for die-hard fans. Do take advantage of our suites with varied categories on your next visit as these come with larger living areas. We look forward to delighting you with our new upgrades upon your return. Warmest aloha!
Springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a fantastic stay! After researching for months, we decided to try the Westin Resort and Spa on Maui's west side. We were thrilled with our decision. It was everything we expected. As noted in other reviews, the reception staff at the reservation's desk is very cold. But the rest of the staff more than makes up for it. Ronzi, a service express attendant, was exceptional! He took extra care to make sure our family's vacation was a memorable one. If we have the opportunity to return, we will!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate the special recognition extended to Ronzi and have shared your kind words with him and his team. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and until your next visit, stay well. Me ke aloha pumehana (with warmest aloha).
Millbrae, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

First time family vacation in Maui and decided to stay at Westin. We really enjoyed our stay. Only a few hiccups when we checked in. It took a looooooong time, clearly they were under staff. It was a long line and only 2 people at the front desk. GM/Front Office Manager needs to look at their staff scheduling more carefully. It took us almost 1 hour to wait in line for checking in.

Other than that, all are good. Location is perfect! Amazing beach views. Hotel is located not far away from Lahaina downtown for shopping, dining and other activities. Pool kept my little boy busy for hours. Love the outdoor gym too (they have indoor gym, but I didn't use it).
Black Rock is great too, saw few sea turtles there. Awesome!!!

We love our Service Express Attendant Ron Acheta or "Ronzi"; he is knowledgeable, very nice and always very helpful and when asked, he told us where the local goes. He smiles from the belly and excel on what he does. He made Coconut Rose # 636 for me. Awww so sweet.
We will definitely come back!! In fact I just booked our trip for April 2013. Can't wait!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
We are thrilled that you and your family had a wonderful vacation in Maui. Being in the heart of Ka’anapali Beach, our resort certainly offers guests endless ocean pursuits in addition to an aquatic playground. In fact, Conde Nast Traveler recently recognized the resort as one of eight hotels worldwide for having the Best Waterfall Pools. Naturally, resort associates like Ronzi add the personal touches to make our guests feel at home. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here with my wife for our 20 year anniversary.

Overall our stay was very good. However; there are a few things I need to mention here that may help you when or if you chose to stay here.
First, the negatives:

Valet is no extra fee “only if the parking lot is full”. When we checked in the first night, Valet stated there as “No extra fee”, so I decided to use Valet for the duration of our stay. Only fee was the tip each time I got the car. I figured that was well worth it, even if the parking lot was very close. Upon review of the bill there was a 20.00 charge per night on the bill for Valet parking. After grumbling about it to the desk, they removed the Valet parking fees. They were very cordial. But watch out for this. The Valet is free “only if the parking lot is full”.
I purposely saved my Starwood Suite Night upgrades for our 8 night stay. I also used points for our complete stay. Even though you have points to pay for this, you still have to pay 25.00 a night resort fee. A small price to pay for a place on the ocean, but in a way I felt as though it should have been no additional fee.

Before our trip, I was waiting to see an email from Starwood that my Suite Upgrades were honored, and we would receive a Suite. Never happened.  So the morning before our stay, I called the Duty Manager (known to work sometimes for non-leveraged Suite Upgrades) for a favor, to get an upgrade for our stay. His name was Michael. I told him my wife and I were going to be there on our 20th, and would greatly appreciate an upgrade to a Suite. He was seemingly very nice, and said he would take care of us. When we go there, our room was on the 2nd floor, overlooking a rooftop, and a part of a strip mall. They told us this was an ocean view. Wow, we could see it, if we went out on the French balcony, and leaned over the railing and looked to our left. I was very disappointed, and thought “seriously”? The point I am trying to make here, is if Michael thought he was doing us a favor, I suspect he does not understand what guests like, or simply did not care, or forgot.

I called the front desk, and asked why we were down so low, and no view. The gal at the desk stated we did not request a higher room. Well, duh, I guess it was kinda expected?
Anyhow…she was super nice, and said she would work on a higher room for the following day, if we did not mind moving the 2nd day. I said sure!

The room we were currently in was in pretty rough shape, it smelled, and was loud from the businesses next door. I was pretty unhappy, and was looking forward to our “new room”.
The following day we moved, and were placed in a room on 10th floor, center tower, right on the ocean. It was perfect, and we were very thankful for our room the rest of the stay.
Now for positives.

Housekeeping was excellent. Restocking was great. Room service was good. Clean room. Updated. Internet worked well for Hawaii. TV was good. Beds comfortable. View awesome. If you are staying on the ocean or probably anywhere in the hotel, be prepared to hear live music outside up until at least 8pm.

Pools were excellent. Food in the hotel restaurants was really good. Breakfast was great. Elevators were awesome…always waiting on the 1st floor to hop on it. People were friendly…however; sometimes I could feel an undercurrent from some of the staff, which was kind of a negative feeling. Not sure if cultural, or a true undercurrent of hostility. I cannot really explain it.

Tipping seemed to be a strange thing. I am used to tipping, but in this case some of the staff would refuse it, and some were happy to take it. So I was somewhat confused as to whether or not I should be tipping. In one particular case we had ordered a bottle of wine via room service. When the waiter brought it, he dropped it off, turned around to leave. I said, may I have the bill so I can tip you? He simply said “Bahhh”, while waving his hand downward, and left. I appreciated that I did not need to tip, but almost felt like I offended him. At the same time, housekeeping seemed very appreciative of tips most of the time, and some wait staff did not, while some seemed very grateful.

They have a towel system here, so whenever you need one, you have to go to the towel stand and exchange a towel card for it (which you get at check-in). Don’t lose your towel, or you will get charged 25.00 for it. At the end of stay you are supposed to return your towel cards so you do not get billed for them.

Food prices are pretty reasonable, which surprised us. Probably about 2/3 the cost of mainland hotel restaurants. Not sure why, but I am not complaining about it.

We snorkeled in many locations around the island, and found the snorkeling out front to be about the best on the island. Just watch out for the commercial craft in the area.

There is a really cool pool here, where you can swim through a cave to another pool, and in the cave there is a hot tub on the side, you have to climb up into. Really neat in my opinion.
There is a place to the north of the hotel, a 10 minute walk down the beach called Black Rock. You will notice people jumping off it. I would suggest you not do it because we personally witnessed 2 people get injured from it. This keeps the paramedics busy. Don’t be one of the injured.

If you need groceries, there is a Safeway about 5 minutes away. Front Street is about 5 minutes away.

There is a little mall right next to the hotel. I think called Whalers Village or something close to that. We ate at a couple places there. Hagen Das was very good. But the Dragon whatever (don’t remember the second word) was absolutely awful! I ordered the Chicken Teriyaki, waiting for 25 minutes (seriously), watched them dump teriyaki sauce over the meat from a big bottle off the shelf. It was horrendous. Avoid that place. Otherwise, everything else was excellent. Went to I’O’s on Front street, pretty good. Leainis was the best place we ate at, which is real close to the hotel. Ate in the upstairs section. Had the Surf and Turf….really good!

We will go here again, we had a great time, and really appreciated Maui! I have tons of pics, email me if you would like some more.

Room Tip: Please see review above for more information.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Mahalo for taking the time to share your personal experiences. We are delighted that our associates handled the situations you mentioned most efficiently and delivered to your expectations. We do encourage visitors to Maui to visit our property website for details on the resort’s extensive offerings to help them plan their vacation prior to arrival and relax once they are here. As you noted, Whalers Village has great shopping and is conveniently located next to the resort. Our guests also enjoy free shuttle services to Lahaina town where there are more shopping, dining, nightlife and sightseeing attractions. Do share your Maui photos on our facebook site @TheWestinMaui. Warmest aloha!
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had an amazing visit to Maui Nov. 1-6, 2012 and stayed at the Westin Maui Resort & Spa in Lahaina. All of our expectations were exceeded--it was a traveler's paradise. We especially want to thank our attendant Ronzi for his warm hospitality in making our trip so memorable. He was very accomodating in helping us with our room and made special souvenirs for us and each of our 4 children before leaving. The kids loved his "fish" and "rose" creations from palm leaves. We can't wait to return with the entire family!

Room Tip: Select a room on the front side of the hotel for best views of the ocean--it's def worth the upg...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Your generous words of praise certainly inspires us to continue our efforts to create a distinctive experience for our guests. Thank you for recognizing Ronzi who is one of the many Westin associates who go above and beyond in their daily interactions. We look forward to your return…. Warmest aloha!

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!