“A trip worth waiting for!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #24 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Springfield
“A trip worth waiting for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a fantastic stay! After researching for months, we decided to try the Westin Resort and Spa on Maui's west side. We were thrilled with our decision. It was everything we expected. As noted in other reviews, the reception staff at the reservation's desk is very cold. But the rest of the staff more than makes up for it. Ronzi, a service express attendant, was exceptional! He took extra care to make sure our family's vacation was a memorable one. If we have the opportunity to return, we will!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We appreciate the special recognition extended to Ronzi and have shared your kind words with him and his team. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and until your next visit, stay well. Me ke aloha pumehana (with warmest aloha).

3,113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Korean first
Millbrae, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

First time family vacation in Maui and decided to stay at Westin. We really enjoyed our stay. Only a few hiccups when we checked in. It took a looooooong time, clearly they were under staff. It was a long line and only 2 people at the front desk. GM/Front Office Manager needs to look at their staff scheduling more carefully. It took us almost 1 hour to wait in line for checking in.

Other than that, all are good. Location is perfect! Amazing beach views. Hotel is located not far away from Lahaina downtown for shopping, dining and other activities. Pool kept my little boy busy for hours. Love the outdoor gym too (they have indoor gym, but I didn't use it).
Black Rock is great too, saw few sea turtles there. Awesome!!!

We love our Service Express Attendant Ron Acheta or "Ronzi"; he is knowledgeable, very nice and always very helpful and when asked, he told us where the local goes. He smiles from the belly and excel on what he does. He made Coconut Rose # 636 for me. Awww so sweet.
We will definitely come back!! In fact I just booked our trip for April 2013. Can't wait!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
We are thrilled that you and your family had a wonderful vacation in Maui. Being in the heart of Ka’anapali Beach, our resort certainly offers guests endless ocean pursuits in addition to an aquatic playground. In fact, Conde Nast Traveler recently recognized the resort as one of eight hotels worldwide for having the Best Waterfall Pools. Naturally, resort associates like Ronzi add the personal touches to make our guests feel at home. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here with my wife for our 20 year anniversary.

Overall our stay was very good. However; there are a few things I need to mention here that may help you when or if you chose to stay here.
First, the negatives:

Valet is no extra fee “only if the parking lot is full”. When we checked in the first night, Valet stated there as “No extra fee”, so I decided to use Valet for the duration of our stay. Only fee was the tip each time I got the car. I figured that was well worth it, even if the parking lot was very close. Upon review of the bill there was a 20.00 charge per night on the bill for Valet parking. After grumbling about it to the desk, they removed the Valet parking fees. They were very cordial. But watch out for this. The Valet is free “only if the parking lot is full”.
I purposely saved my Starwood Suite Night upgrades for our 8 night stay. I also used points for our complete stay. Even though you have points to pay for this, you still have to pay 25.00 a night resort fee. A small price to pay for a place on the ocean, but in a way I felt as though it should have been no additional fee.

Before our trip, I was waiting to see an email from Starwood that my Suite Upgrades were honored, and we would receive a Suite. Never happened.  So the morning before our stay, I called the Duty Manager (known to work sometimes for non-leveraged Suite Upgrades) for a favor, to get an upgrade for our stay. His name was Michael. I told him my wife and I were going to be there on our 20th, and would greatly appreciate an upgrade to a Suite. He was seemingly very nice, and said he would take care of us. When we go there, our room was on the 2nd floor, overlooking a rooftop, and a part of a strip mall. They told us this was an ocean view. Wow, we could see it, if we went out on the French balcony, and leaned over the railing and looked to our left. I was very disappointed, and thought “seriously”? The point I am trying to make here, is if Michael thought he was doing us a favor, I suspect he does not understand what guests like, or simply did not care, or forgot.

I called the front desk, and asked why we were down so low, and no view. The gal at the desk stated we did not request a higher room. Well, duh, I guess it was kinda expected?
Anyhow…she was super nice, and said she would work on a higher room for the following day, if we did not mind moving the 2nd day. I said sure!

The room we were currently in was in pretty rough shape, it smelled, and was loud from the businesses next door. I was pretty unhappy, and was looking forward to our “new room”.
The following day we moved, and were placed in a room on 10th floor, center tower, right on the ocean. It was perfect, and we were very thankful for our room the rest of the stay.
Now for positives.

Housekeeping was excellent. Restocking was great. Room service was good. Clean room. Updated. Internet worked well for Hawaii. TV was good. Beds comfortable. View awesome. If you are staying on the ocean or probably anywhere in the hotel, be prepared to hear live music outside up until at least 8pm.

Pools were excellent. Food in the hotel restaurants was really good. Breakfast was great. Elevators were awesome…always waiting on the 1st floor to hop on it. People were friendly…however; sometimes I could feel an undercurrent from some of the staff, which was kind of a negative feeling. Not sure if cultural, or a true undercurrent of hostility. I cannot really explain it.

Tipping seemed to be a strange thing. I am used to tipping, but in this case some of the staff would refuse it, and some were happy to take it. So I was somewhat confused as to whether or not I should be tipping. In one particular case we had ordered a bottle of wine via room service. When the waiter brought it, he dropped it off, turned around to leave. I said, may I have the bill so I can tip you? He simply said “Bahhh”, while waving his hand downward, and left. I appreciated that I did not need to tip, but almost felt like I offended him. At the same time, housekeeping seemed very appreciative of tips most of the time, and some wait staff did not, while some seemed very grateful.

They have a towel system here, so whenever you need one, you have to go to the towel stand and exchange a towel card for it (which you get at check-in). Don’t lose your towel, or you will get charged 25.00 for it. At the end of stay you are supposed to return your towel cards so you do not get billed for them.

Food prices are pretty reasonable, which surprised us. Probably about 2/3 the cost of mainland hotel restaurants. Not sure why, but I am not complaining about it.

We snorkeled in many locations around the island, and found the snorkeling out front to be about the best on the island. Just watch out for the commercial craft in the area.

There is a really cool pool here, where you can swim through a cave to another pool, and in the cave there is a hot tub on the side, you have to climb up into. Really neat in my opinion.
There is a place to the north of the hotel, a 10 minute walk down the beach called Black Rock. You will notice people jumping off it. I would suggest you not do it because we personally witnessed 2 people get injured from it. This keeps the paramedics busy. Don’t be one of the injured.

If you need groceries, there is a Safeway about 5 minutes away. Front Street is about 5 minutes away.

There is a little mall right next to the hotel. I think called Whalers Village or something close to that. We ate at a couple places there. Hagen Das was very good. But the Dragon whatever (don’t remember the second word) was absolutely awful! I ordered the Chicken Teriyaki, waiting for 25 minutes (seriously), watched them dump teriyaki sauce over the meat from a big bottle off the shelf. It was horrendous. Avoid that place. Otherwise, everything else was excellent. Went to I’O’s on Front street, pretty good. Leainis was the best place we ate at, which is real close to the hotel. Ate in the upstairs section. Had the Surf and Turf….really good!

We will go here again, we had a great time, and really appreciated Maui! I have tons of pics, email me if you would like some more.

Room Tip: Please see review above for more information.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Mahalo for taking the time to share your personal experiences. We are delighted that our associates handled the situations you mentioned most efficiently and delivered to your expectations. We do encourage visitors to Maui to visit our property website for details on the resort’s extensive offerings to help them plan their vacation prior to arrival and relax once they are here. As you noted, Whalers Village has great shopping and is conveniently located next to the resort. Our guests also enjoy free shuttle services to Lahaina town where there are more shopping, dining, nightlife and sightseeing attractions. Do share your Maui photos on our facebook site @TheWestinMaui. Warmest aloha!
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had an amazing visit to Maui Nov. 1-6, 2012 and stayed at the Westin Maui Resort & Spa in Lahaina. All of our expectations were exceeded--it was a traveler's paradise. We especially want to thank our attendant Ronzi for his warm hospitality in making our trip so memorable. He was very accomodating in helping us with our room and made special souvenirs for us and each of our 4 children before leaving. The kids loved his "fish" and "rose" creations from palm leaves. We can't wait to return with the entire family!

Room Tip: Select a room on the front side of the hotel for best views of the ocean--it's def worth the upg...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Your generous words of praise certainly inspires us to continue our efforts to create a distinctive experience for our guests. Thank you for recognizing Ronzi who is one of the many Westin associates who go above and beyond in their daily interactions. We look forward to your return…. Warmest aloha!
AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Did not stay in this hotel, only had the breakfast buffet on Sunday am. We ate at Tropica last year and thought the food was excellent, thought the receptionist rude.We decided to give the property another chance, since we are Starwood Platinum members. First time shame on me...second time shame on you! I have never seen such an unhappy group of people in my life. They act like they are doing you a favor by letting you eat there. Starting with the receptionist, to the waiters to the cooks. Unbelievable!!! I can only surmise that the attitudes reflect the leadership at this hotel...as EVERYONE ACTED THE SAME. The receptionist was rude and angry. The waiter set-up empty tables all around us instead of setting up our table and serving coffee. We WAITED 5 minutes to be served, though he was all around our table. We never saw him again after he gave us a napkin and coffee! The food was ok, though not exceptional. The cook serving omelets was "get it done and get home" attitude. Honestly, I have NEVER seen anything like it. In 40 years, I have never left a restaurant without leaving a tip...even for buffets, but this WAS A FIRST! I blame the management. This hotel needs to be overhauled from the top down... We never plan to give it another chance.Hard to believe this is a Westin. Just came in from the St Regis in Princeville...like another world. Stayed at the Maui Sheraton...much better in every way...but then any other hotel would be.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
While our associates have often been recognized for their friendly and welcoming ways, we regret you did not enjoy a similar experience. Your feedback is much appreciated as it is through discerning guests such as your goodself that spurs us to further improve our services. Rest assured that necessary measures will be taken and we look forward to welcoming you back to refreshing changes. Mahalo nui loa.
El Dorado Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Enjoyed this property with our boys during Thanksgiving Week and had a blast. Location is perfect in Lahaina on beach walk near dining, shopping, activities and beach. Pool kept boys busy for hours, room was fine though small for my taste...though view from balcony of Black Rock was great. Loved the resort activities (artists, vendors, etc.) and Wii tournament on the rainy day! Enjoyed, almost purchased a timeshare at villa property (glad we did not), would return!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is located right in the heart of it all. The pool and hotel greens are beautiful and well kept. Overall the staff is great and very friendly, especially Ronzi at the service express department! We were put in a very spacious ocean view room, even though we hadn't booked one :)

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa. We look forward to delighting you again upon your return to the islands. Aloha!

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!