“Awesome vacation place for a honeymoon or anniversary!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #24 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Madison
“Awesome vacation place for a honeymoon or anniversary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here with my wife for our 20 year anniversary.

Overall our stay was very good. However; there are a few things I need to mention here that may help you when or if you chose to stay here.
First, the negatives:

Valet is no extra fee “only if the parking lot is full”. When we checked in the first night, Valet stated there as “No extra fee”, so I decided to use Valet for the duration of our stay. Only fee was the tip each time I got the car. I figured that was well worth it, even if the parking lot was very close. Upon review of the bill there was a 20.00 charge per night on the bill for Valet parking. After grumbling about it to the desk, they removed the Valet parking fees. They were very cordial. But watch out for this. The Valet is free “only if the parking lot is full”.
I purposely saved my Starwood Suite Night upgrades for our 8 night stay. I also used points for our complete stay. Even though you have points to pay for this, you still have to pay 25.00 a night resort fee. A small price to pay for a place on the ocean, but in a way I felt as though it should have been no additional fee.

Before our trip, I was waiting to see an email from Starwood that my Suite Upgrades were honored, and we would receive a Suite. Never happened.  So the morning before our stay, I called the Duty Manager (known to work sometimes for non-leveraged Suite Upgrades) for a favor, to get an upgrade for our stay. His name was Michael. I told him my wife and I were going to be there on our 20th, and would greatly appreciate an upgrade to a Suite. He was seemingly very nice, and said he would take care of us. When we go there, our room was on the 2nd floor, overlooking a rooftop, and a part of a strip mall. They told us this was an ocean view. Wow, we could see it, if we went out on the French balcony, and leaned over the railing and looked to our left. I was very disappointed, and thought “seriously”? The point I am trying to make here, is if Michael thought he was doing us a favor, I suspect he does not understand what guests like, or simply did not care, or forgot.

I called the front desk, and asked why we were down so low, and no view. The gal at the desk stated we did not request a higher room. Well, duh, I guess it was kinda expected?
Anyhow…she was super nice, and said she would work on a higher room for the following day, if we did not mind moving the 2nd day. I said sure!

The room we were currently in was in pretty rough shape, it smelled, and was loud from the businesses next door. I was pretty unhappy, and was looking forward to our “new room”.
The following day we moved, and were placed in a room on 10th floor, center tower, right on the ocean. It was perfect, and we were very thankful for our room the rest of the stay.
Now for positives.

Housekeeping was excellent. Restocking was great. Room service was good. Clean room. Updated. Internet worked well for Hawaii. TV was good. Beds comfortable. View awesome. If you are staying on the ocean or probably anywhere in the hotel, be prepared to hear live music outside up until at least 8pm.

Pools were excellent. Food in the hotel restaurants was really good. Breakfast was great. Elevators were awesome…always waiting on the 1st floor to hop on it. People were friendly…however; sometimes I could feel an undercurrent from some of the staff, which was kind of a negative feeling. Not sure if cultural, or a true undercurrent of hostility. I cannot really explain it.

Tipping seemed to be a strange thing. I am used to tipping, but in this case some of the staff would refuse it, and some were happy to take it. So I was somewhat confused as to whether or not I should be tipping. In one particular case we had ordered a bottle of wine via room service. When the waiter brought it, he dropped it off, turned around to leave. I said, may I have the bill so I can tip you? He simply said “Bahhh”, while waving his hand downward, and left. I appreciated that I did not need to tip, but almost felt like I offended him. At the same time, housekeeping seemed very appreciative of tips most of the time, and some wait staff did not, while some seemed very grateful.

They have a towel system here, so whenever you need one, you have to go to the towel stand and exchange a towel card for it (which you get at check-in). Don’t lose your towel, or you will get charged 25.00 for it. At the end of stay you are supposed to return your towel cards so you do not get billed for them.

Food prices are pretty reasonable, which surprised us. Probably about 2/3 the cost of mainland hotel restaurants. Not sure why, but I am not complaining about it.

We snorkeled in many locations around the island, and found the snorkeling out front to be about the best on the island. Just watch out for the commercial craft in the area.

There is a really cool pool here, where you can swim through a cave to another pool, and in the cave there is a hot tub on the side, you have to climb up into. Really neat in my opinion.
There is a place to the north of the hotel, a 10 minute walk down the beach called Black Rock. You will notice people jumping off it. I would suggest you not do it because we personally witnessed 2 people get injured from it. This keeps the paramedics busy. Don’t be one of the injured.

If you need groceries, there is a Safeway about 5 minutes away. Front Street is about 5 minutes away.

There is a little mall right next to the hotel. I think called Whalers Village or something close to that. We ate at a couple places there. Hagen Das was very good. But the Dragon whatever (don’t remember the second word) was absolutely awful! I ordered the Chicken Teriyaki, waiting for 25 minutes (seriously), watched them dump teriyaki sauce over the meat from a big bottle off the shelf. It was horrendous. Avoid that place. Otherwise, everything else was excellent. Went to I’O’s on Front street, pretty good. Leainis was the best place we ate at, which is real close to the hotel. Ate in the upstairs section. Had the Surf and Turf….really good!

We will go here again, we had a great time, and really appreciated Maui! I have tons of pics, email me if you would like some more.

Room Tip: Please see review above for more information.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Mahalo for taking the time to share your personal experiences. We are delighted that our associates handled the situations you mentioned most efficiently and delivered to your expectations. We do encourage visitors to Maui to visit our property website for details on the resort’s extensive offerings to help them plan their vacation prior to arrival and relax once they are here. As you noted, Whalers Village has great shopping and is conveniently located next to the resort. Our guests also enjoy free shuttle services to Lahaina town where there are more shopping, dining, nightlife and sightseeing attractions. Do share your Maui photos on our facebook site @TheWestinMaui. Warmest aloha!

3,133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Korean first
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had an amazing visit to Maui Nov. 1-6, 2012 and stayed at the Westin Maui Resort & Spa in Lahaina. All of our expectations were exceeded--it was a traveler's paradise. We especially want to thank our attendant Ronzi for his warm hospitality in making our trip so memorable. He was very accomodating in helping us with our room and made special souvenirs for us and each of our 4 children before leaving. The kids loved his "fish" and "rose" creations from palm leaves. We can't wait to return with the entire family!

Room Tip: Select a room on the front side of the hotel for best views of the ocean--it's def worth the upg...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Your generous words of praise certainly inspires us to continue our efforts to create a distinctive experience for our guests. Thank you for recognizing Ronzi who is one of the many Westin associates who go above and beyond in their daily interactions. We look forward to your return…. Warmest aloha!
AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Did not stay in this hotel, only had the breakfast buffet on Sunday am. We ate at Tropica last year and thought the food was excellent, thought the receptionist rude.We decided to give the property another chance, since we are Starwood Platinum members. First time shame on me...second time shame on you! I have never seen such an unhappy group of people in my life. They act like they are doing you a favor by letting you eat there. Starting with the receptionist, to the waiters to the cooks. Unbelievable!!! I can only surmise that the attitudes reflect the leadership at this hotel...as EVERYONE ACTED THE SAME. The receptionist was rude and angry. The waiter set-up empty tables all around us instead of setting up our table and serving coffee. We WAITED 5 minutes to be served, though he was all around our table. We never saw him again after he gave us a napkin and coffee! The food was ok, though not exceptional. The cook serving omelets was "get it done and get home" attitude. Honestly, I have NEVER seen anything like it. In 40 years, I have never left a restaurant without leaving a tip...even for buffets, but this WAS A FIRST! I blame the management. This hotel needs to be overhauled from the top down... We never plan to give it another chance.Hard to believe this is a Westin. Just came in from the St Regis in Princeville...like another world. Stayed at the Maui Sheraton...much better in every way...but then any other hotel would be.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
While our associates have often been recognized for their friendly and welcoming ways, we regret you did not enjoy a similar experience. Your feedback is much appreciated as it is through discerning guests such as your goodself that spurs us to further improve our services. Rest assured that necessary measures will be taken and we look forward to welcoming you back to refreshing changes. Mahalo nui loa.
El Dorado Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Enjoyed this property with our boys during Thanksgiving Week and had a blast. Location is perfect in Lahaina on beach walk near dining, shopping, activities and beach. Pool kept boys busy for hours, room was fine though small for my taste...though view from balcony of Black Rock was great. Loved the resort activities (artists, vendors, etc.) and Wii tournament on the rainy day! Enjoyed, almost purchased a timeshare at villa property (glad we did not), would return!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is located right in the heart of it all. The pool and hotel greens are beautiful and well kept. Overall the staff is great and very friendly, especially Ronzi at the service express department! We were put in a very spacious ocean view room, even though we hadn't booked one :)

• Stayed November 2012
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa. We look forward to delighting you again upon your return to the islands. Aloha!
Washington State
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Shame on Westin and Starwood for allowing this property to fall to the level it has before planning a renovation. As Starwood Platinum members we expected and were given an upgrade to one of their "best rooms", at least according to the guy at the Starwood Preferred check-in desk. One of the most run-down rooms I have ever seen and many years past due for a renovation. Carpet was buckling everywhere, the fridge cabinet was destroyed from leaking water, bathroom fixtures were severely water spotted, worn out and poorly installed. Paint peeling in many areas. Any repairs showed clear signs that staff made little effort at quality work and/or had little knowledge of what they were doing and that nobody was checking the work. We were moved to another room which, although still in need of a renovation, was in considerably better condition. So much for Starwood status. On the plus side, the property is beautiful with terrific landscaping and very clean. The staff all seemed wonderful, especially the servers in the restaurant. The fitness center is excellent with plenty of machines and free weights. There is a new(er) outdoor patio area with machines and free weights for those wanting to work out sans A/C. The spa was nice but not on par with top-notch hotels. Go to The Grand Wailea if you're looking for someplace special. Back to the bad points; the breakfast buffet though ridiculously expensive is just average. We ate there most days because we had special coupons included with our room. No change in selection so food will get very old after a week there. OJ is concentrate at the buffet so ask for it from the server and they will brig you fresh squeezed. The "self-parking" is a joke. Even with 20% of the hotel closed for renovation the lot fills up quickly every night. Oddly there are many spaces open but because the spots are so narrow, when people park with enough room to open their doors it leaves a space on the opposite side maybe 4-5 ft wide. The hotel will gladly valet park your car for free when this happens (if you return anytime after 8 pm) but then you're sort of obligated to tip them. There is a $30/day "resort" charge which aggravates me more than anything. They say that this covers things like water in the room (thank you, I'll buy my own), newspapers (free anywhere), fitness center access and, of all things "free parking" (go figure that one out). Check back in a year or so when the renovation complete otherwise you're better off almost anywhere else. Try Napili Kai for a wonderful and totally different experience from the Ka'anapali/Disneyland world.

Room Tip: Keep pushing for a better room which may not come available for a day or two. STAY AWAY from the ele...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for sharing your valuable feedback and for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We appreciate your constructive comments as it allows us to elevate our services here at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa. Malama pono (take care).
Issaquah, Washington, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and i got married here! Gorgeous resort, incredibly family friendly, but there is also a great "adult" pool area, and the property itself is a lovely and elegant. The rooms are fairly small, but comfortable with the Westin "heavenly beds", granite vanity, nice views. The rooms with the "garden view" are typically not as great, as they sort of overlook parking lots etc. Ask for an upgrade, we did not have any problems getting a better room! Location is right in the middle of the "beach walk" action, so very lively, at times a little too lively! The adult pool is wonderful and the service there was also great! Overall, a really nice Westin property, and if you are a Starwood member, and you know their properties, you will not be disappointed. It is the same excellent service you would expect from a Westin!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Congratulations! We are delighted you chose Westin Maui to begin a lifetime of memories. Your kind comments are much appreciated as it helps us in our efforts to further improve and innovate our services and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back on your wedding anniversaries and any special occasion to celebrate a blissful life together. Warmest aloha…

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!