“Honeymoon at the Whaler” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Utah
“Honeymoon at the Whaler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

Our recent honeymoon in Maui was wonderful and the Whaler was a pleasant surprise. I was a little skeptical about coming to this hotel, because of some of these reviews, but we got exactly what we paid for. Upon arriving we were greeted by friendly staff. Parking is an extra $7 a day, but we never had to search around for a parking spot and always got a spot right by the elevator. The room was very clean and well kept. Some reviews complained about bugs, however, I did not find one our entire stay. The hotel gave us a two for one coupon for the luau at the Hyatt, which was great. The Whaler is right next to Whaler's village, which is great! I do not recommend the restaurants there though, as they are wayyyy over priced. It was nice to go out for dinner elsewhere, and we also stocked up on some groceries at Safeway in order to save some money on food.
We honestly had no complaints about our stay here! I highly recommend the Whaler for a good deal and great hotel stay.

• Stayed April 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

VERY UNACCOMODATING!

We arrived at The Whaler on Sunday (March 6, 2005) at 10:30am not realizing that we were a bit early for check-in time. We were told by the woman at the check-in counter that we should come back at 11am. We said ok and went next door to eat breakfast in the whaler village.

At around 11:15am, we arrived back at The Whaler hoping to check in. At this point, the woman told us that the people had just checked out of the room and that we should come back in another half-hour...time for them to clean it. A bit aggravated at this point, we went out to the car to sit (in the a/c) and wait...and to book some activities by phone.

Over a half-hour went by and we walked back into The Whaler a little after noon. This time it was a different woman at the counter (the first woman was now gone for the day) - and she told us the room wasn't cleaned and ready and that the normal check-in time was 3pm. We were floored! If that were the case all along, why were we kept being told "come back in a half-hour". She didn't know. We told her what we had been told earlier in the morning, but her answer was still the same...that check-in time was 3pm. She was very unaccomodating to us under the circumstances.

We were upset at this point, but didn't put up as much of a stink as deserved. Aggravated, we left to go for a drive up the NW coast of Maui. The drive was beautiful and the sights quickly put us in a better mood. We drove for a couple hours as far as the road went before it turned from pavement to dirt.

We arrived back at the Whaler at 2:50pm. The first words out of the woman's mouth was, "your room's not ready yet." At this point, my girlfriend and I were stunned. What she said next is beyond logic. She told us that "normal check-in time is 4pm." That's right, the same woman that told us 3pm, now told us 4pm.

So,
at 10:30am - told to come back in 1/2 hour
at 11:15am - told to come back in another 1/2 hour
at 12:00pm - told to come back at 3pm
at 2:50pm - told to come back at 4pm...

are you kidding me?

After we threatened to write a letter to management and re-explained how we were being given the runaround...she blamed the first woman by saying "I don't know why she told you to come back in a half hour". She even had the audacity to go out back to grab a post-it note that had a "3pm" written on it then a "4" written ON TOP OF the 3....in PEN - saying... see...it says 4pm here. What did this proove? That she just wrote a 3 over a 4...? I still don't understand why she showed us that...

At this point she brought out a 3rd woman and we calmly explained how every time we walked in we're being told a different time. I said, "if we come back at 4pm, are we then going to be told to come back at 5?"

So, the two of them go into the back office...then come back out...(this repeated a couple times) ... After a couple of phone calls to the cleaning desk (I guess they hadn't had it inspected yet), we were given the green light to head into the room (it was 3pm at this point). Gee, was that so hard?

I've gone to many other hotels around the country and have arrived early almost plenty of times...and the hotel will always make you a top priority - get the cleaning done - and get you in the room as quickly as possible. The Whaler made no attempt to make us a top priority - they were completely unprofessional and unaccomodating. Maybe it was the fact that we are a young couple, I dunno. They never offered to comp us or to make good on the situation they put us through.

The next morning at 5am we were awoken by TWO phone calls that sounded like a fax machine (but it wasn't a fax machine). Coincidence...who knows? We unplugged the phone each night thereafter.

other than that...
The room was a good size... however the bed was only a queen size. The hotel pool was incredibly small!

Next time I would gladly spend a little bit more money to upgrade our lodging to the Hyatt or the Sheraton (both looked amazing...the Hyatt pool was outstanding....and I'm sure the customer service was far superior).

• Stayed March 2005
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this review, June 19, 2014

We want to acknowledge every past guest opinion & review.
Please note the date on the review; as outdated reviews may not apply any longer. In 2012, The Whaler completed over $30 million dollars and years of renovation. Our resort is in great shape and looks beautiful not to mention the perfect location.

Further, the use of interior room standards based upon AAA – 3 to 5 diamond guidelines, Aston at The Whaler recently earned a 3 diamond rating. This means the “in-house” rental program for the property maintains a level of consistency with cleanliness, interior quality, and guest service. In 2013, our internal guest satisfaction score was an annual average of 94.2% completely satisfied, and our rating on tripadvisor went from #26 to #8.

We realize that you have a choice in accommodations, and we hope you give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

1-866-321-2799
Marietta, Ga. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2005

I have no idea what that guy was talking about. I have been staying at The Whaler for over 20 years and have had NOTHING but great experience there. Although I have stayed in dozens of their units, I can not vouch for the one he was in. I have to think that he must have just gotten a bad apple because all of the units I have stayed in have been BEAUTIFULLY decorated and immaculate(one bedroom 2 bath; one bedroom 1 bath; studio units. I have never stayed in the 2 BR units). This condo is without a doubt the best deal on Kaanapali beach. The units are huge, beautiful and clean. Not to mention the location is ideally situated ocean front right next to Whaler's Village with incredible shopping and restaurants i.e. Hula Grill, Leilani's and Tropica. The staff there are very friendly and there is an onsite concierge and a small grocery/gift shop with liquer, beer, soft drinks, food, etc. This place has been newly renovated on the outside and inside hallways and looks FANTASTIC. For twice the price ($500/night or so)you can go next door to the Westin or Sheraton Black Rock and all you get is a bed, a tiny bathroom and an even smaller lanai. The lanai's at The Whaler are HUGE; big enough to fit 2 lounge chairs and a dinner table with 4 chairs. The 2 bedroom lanai's are just obscene they are so big. They wrap around 2 sides of the building. The studio lanai's are even spacious.
I've been traveling to Maui for over 30 years and have been to all the islands. Since I discovered the Whaler, I have not stayed anywhere else on Maui. Kaanapali/Lahaina has it all and The Whaler is a wonderful place to stay. You will not be disappointed. Aloha and a hui hou!!

• Stayed November 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2005

We just returned from a weeks stay at the Whaler. March 11-18. I have read many reviews of the Whaler and the majority was good. Our experience was terrible. The room that we were given was very outdated. The carpet was white with stains everywhere. The wallpaper was coming off and had hand prints and stains all over. The bathroom was filthy. The bed was rock hard. Inbetween the bed and the nightstand had never ever been vacumed. The floors in the kitchen were dirty and sticky. We complained about the room and they offered to show us a new one but none were available until the next day. The next room that we received had a better view of the ocean and was a little cleaner, but not much. I have read in some of the reviews that you don't go to Hawaii to stay in the room. This is true, but it does help when you have a comfortable, clean place to stay. The weather was cloudy and rainy for 4 of the days we were there and so we ended up in the room. When looking at the Whaler website, they don't show you the true rooms. I would not recommend this place, and I won't return.

• Stayed March 2005

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2005

Stayed in a 1br 2ba 9th floor ocean view South tower unit Feb. 15-23.
Suite was excellent. Well appointed, clean, comfortable; everything you need is furnished. Washer/ dryer provided via coin-ops in a laundry room on each floor [not in the unit as I had thought.]
I have read reviews recommending you avoid the S. tower rooms facing Whaler's Village. I have mixed feelings about that. Our room faced the courtyard/ N. tower; and while it's true that it was always quiet, and I have no complaints about the view; the drawback was that we never had any sun on our lanai. I cannot speak from experience re. staying on the other side; but I saw that their lanais do get sun exposure. The lanais are so spacious; and loungers are provided, so it would have been nice to do some sunning there if I could have. From the outside looking; it seems that as long as you are above the Whaler's Village rooftops (7th floor+,) those units would be great.
I wish that the Whaler staff would enforce the posted policy of not "saving" pool loungers (though this is certainly not exclusive to the Whaler; I'm sure we've all experienced this, worldwide.) Every day I saw people put towels down on the best chairs as early as 7AM, then not return for several hours; or one person would save 4-5 chairs for people who never came. The shortage of pool chairs would not be an issue if this practice was stopped; and if everyone would remove their towels when they leave (many people leave their towels on the chairs, so new arrivals assume the chair is still occupied.)
Personally I prefer to be on the beach anyway; but the first few days it was just too windy. Fortunately the latter 5 or 6 days were ideal.
As others have stated; parking is $7/ day and is very limited, but I do appreciate that they offer a secure, shaded parking facility.
I do highly recommend the Whaler if you need to have a fully equipped condo; but unless I find a better deal, next time I visit during peak season I will probably stay elsewhere on Ka'anapali Beach, primarily due to the cost. For our party of 3, none of whom was interested in cooking a lot; the meal savings just did not come close to offseting the room rate. I also rather like the convenience and social aspect of an onsite tiki/ pool bar, and the Whaler lacks this.
During my stay, the clientele was primarily seniors and families (not an ideal atmosphere for young-ish singles.)
If you are able to plan your vacation 6+ months in advance, you should have better luck finding vacancy through an owner. I did not have that luxury; so despite weeks of exhaustive searching, I finally had to book through Aston and pay an exorbitant rate (almost $400/night.) At checkout I learned that they do offer an Entertainment discount that would have saved $50/ night. (I had checked entertainment and it was not listed. So if you're a member, be sure to ask!)
I have stayed at 6 different places on Maui, and have always had a fantastic vacation. The Whaler was very nice; but I will not return unless I find a substantially better rate.

• Stayed February 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2005

We stayed at the Whaler the week of Feb 11-18, 2005. Both of us were extremely pleased with the condo we rented. The furnishings were very nice, and the view was excellent (1 bed/2 bath/ocean view). The Whaler is very well maintained. Parking could be more spacious, but it was never really a problem. Being located directly on Kaanapali beach, and next to the Whaler Village stores, puts you in an excellent position on Maui. There is also a boardwalk that runs the length of Kaanapali from the Sheraton to the Hyatt. If you like to golf, there are two very nice courses across the street from the Whaler (Kaanapali North and South courses). We took a cruise on a 65 foot catamaran to whale watch. This boat (the Gemini), along with other similar catamarans, pulls up directly to the beach for you to board. If you want to do a luau, and I suggest you try one, there are two on Kaanapali (Marriot and Hyatt), one at the Royal Lahaina, and two in Lahaina. Other activities include snorkling, diving, surfing, kayaking, horseback riding, and various island tours. I highly recommend a stay at the Whaler.

• Stayed February 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2005

My husband and I just returned from Maui yesterday. Our original room at The Whaler was on the ground floor - We found it smelly, loud, and very out-dated. Thankfully, the second day we were able to move to a room higher up in the tower which was equally outdated, but wasn't quite as stinky. The weather in Maui during our vacation was horrific - windy, rainy, and very cloudy. The Whaler has a gorgeous piece of property right in the middle of lots of restaurants and shopping. It was so windy there, however, we were unable to swim in the ocean (high surf) or sit on the beach (pelted by sand). The pool at the Whaler is very small and we found it to be overtaken by people of "The Association" otherwise known as condo owners. We found Maui in general to be very expensive - we are going to stick with the Caribbean because its sunny, fun and cheap!!

1-866-321-2799

Been to Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach? Share your experiences!