“Can't get much better” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Saskatoon, Canada
“Can't get much better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Despite the weather we really enjoyed our stay here. We booked thru Aston and were given 516. It is updated and well cared for. Would book this unit again. Close to Black rock and not really busy staff was really friendly and our maid was wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Aloha,

I am sorry to hear you did not have perfect weather. The rain and wind last week shows the rare but necessary part of living in a tropical climate like Hawaii. Your review is wonderful because we strive to provide great guest service. Real feedback like yours especially for the housekeeping team motivates our daily efforts. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Aston Hotels and Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Leominster, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was another perfect vacation in Hawaii- our 26th trip there, but the Whaler is our favorite destination. The waves perfectly break on the beach for boogie boarders and body surfing. Snorkeling at black rock is steps away. We were in Unit 1202 again, which is the penthouse 2 bedroom that faces Lanai and the perfect sunsets, and additionally has a side lanai with unobstructed views to north Maui, Molokai, and the mountains. The kids room has 2 queen size, not full size beds, so is comfortable.Everyone is nice, especially TJ and Michelle at the beach hut. The pool can be crowded when the afternoon trade winds come in, but we stay mostly at the perfect beach. The rooms are nicely appointed, and the pillows are unusually comfortable and fluffy. We sleep with the lanai sliding glass doors open and listen to the wave all nite. Great restaurants are less than 100 steps away- Hula Grill, Leilani's, and more.

Room Tip: rooms in the north tower front and north have unobstructed ocean view since the neighboring hotel is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My Husband, myself and our 3 month old daughter stayed at The Whaler for 8 nights Jan 9-17th. This was our 3rd time to Maui and our first time staying at The Whaler.
THe location is great. We like being able to walk to different restaurants and shopping and so having it located right beside the Whaler's Villiage mall and restaurants was ideal, especially with an infant. It is right on the beach which is also great and super close to Black Rock for snorkelling.
Having a condo was also great when travelling with a child. It was equipped with a full fridge, stove, microwave, kettle etc and all the amenities needed for cooking. THey also provided 2 beach chairs, which was also convenient.
However...
THe service was less than steller. The front desk staff were not overly friendly. Our room service was lacking as well. One day we were out of our room by 9 am, we returned at 1 pm to feed the baby and our room was not yet cleaned. We left it at 2 pm and returned again at 4 pm to find it still wasn't cleaned. They finally knocked on the door at 4:30, which was way too late and so we declined room service that day. This happened on 2 occasions.
The pool area was also not great. It is a fairly small pool area and if you aren't there super early, your lucky to get a chair. THere is minimal shade and as such we couldn't use the pool at all because of needing to keep our baby out of the sun. It is fully fenced in, which in my opinion takes away from atmosphere. If you are sitting by the pool, you very well could be at a pool in any regular complex (such as my Grandma's townhomes here in Canada). Nothing about the pool area screams Hawaii.
I have stayed at the Marriott in both Wailea and Lahaina and their pool area's were amazing compared to this as was their customer service.

I am not one to typically leave negative reviews and am usually always happy with where I stay, but I think I was spoiled in the past with my experiences at the Marriott's and as a result was a bit dissapointed with The Whaler.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,

Please accept our apology for not meeting your expectations. Specifically, our service needs to make the difference when the pool cannot. We definitely have our challenges on some of the busier days. Your honest feedback helps us focus on the areas mentioned. We will continue to work on improving our guest service and the interior of our units in the program. Condominiums have wonderful advantages while on vacation and it is my absolute goal to ensure our guest experience is the best it can be.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed in the Whaler three times and also many of my friends stayed there on many occasions.All condos were great,and now I'd stay there pretty much in any condo on any floor and with any view. Still the best I think are condos with the Black Rock view, higher than 6-th floor.
Location is outstanding, (two steps to snorkeling,gorgeous beach,restaurants,shops ),condos are spacious,the resort is quiet and stylish. I strongly recommend it for anybody and for any occasion.
The best booking "deals" have been made either through VRBO or by contacting independent owners.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha Nui,

Staying at The Whaler three times is a milestone because the experience becomes a tradition. Your comments are valued and your feedback welcome. As for the best way to reserve a stay at The Whaler the “deals” could be a debate. As the GM of the in-house rental program I am biased. But this does not mean I am not a realist too. I recognize the fragmented nature of business and travel when it comes to reserving a condominium. If you are like me, you want to know what you are buying, what to expect, who is going to be there for you when something goes wrong and what level of service I am willing to sacrifice for a low rate or low quality room. In fact, this is a really important topic that deserves attention. To show my sincerity I want to share the following. I know some owners who rent on their own who do an amazing job. Equally, there are some who do not know anything about hospitality. VRBO has become the marketplace du jour. As a future guest and/or owner booking a room via VRBO tends to take a large time commitment to execute an agreement and deposit schedule with an independent owner. Alternatively, in-house rental programs exist for important reasons. In my opinion, the program remains the best way to guarantee a great trip. We call it “trip insurance.” Am I willing to pay a little more for this, yes. Here are some examples: incredibly high standards for cleaning of rooms, in house teams trained to respond to guest needs and the ability to move rooms if I want. Perhaps my dad said it best when he taught me Caveat Emptor, which means “buyer beware”. This advice guides me often. Lastly, I would like to suggest guests be very careful booking accommodations via Craigslist. This appears to be the most insecure transaction. On behalf of all the staff at The Whaler we thank you for your patronage.

Napa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My brother and I accompanied our parents to Maui to celebrate their 30th Wedding Anniversary last September and stayed 7 nights at the Whaler. We had discovered and stayed at the Whaler the previous year through a Costco promotion. We rented two studio condos in tower 2 and were impressed both times.

The Whaler is situated in the heart of Kaanapali Beach right next to the Whaler's Village. That means you are right next door to restaurants, right down the beach from snorkeling at Black Rock, and right next to a beautiful swimming beach. We had a freshly cut and chilled pineapple ready to eat when we checked in. The hotel has a free DVD Kiosk similar to redbox where you can check 2 movies out at a time per room during your stay. The pool and spa are located right along the beachfront path. The pool doesn't have bells and whistles like the neighboring hotel pools, but with a beach so close, the added amenities are not needed.

Our units were very nice and very clean. They had a equipped kitchen for cooking (we stocked up on fresh fish at Costco on our way from the airport) and a BBQ area close to the beachfront path. The views from the towers were incredible. Tower 2 looks out over Whaler's Village on one side and out over the ground of the hotel towards Black Rock on the other side.

The front desk staff was truly wonderful and made us feel welcome.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors of tower
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Aloha oe,

We are honored that your family selected to stay at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach for your parents’ special occasion, thank you. A Costco membership has many benefits and so does staying at The Whaler. Location, value, quality and service are important measures great companies use to ensure great performance. The pool is so close to the ocean that according to state rules we cannot change it. I am glad you found the close proximity to the ocean refreshing as the best alternative. I will be sharing your review with our entire team so they can see your great comments. Your recommendation means a lot to us and we hope you will join us again soon.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our family stayed in Unit 121/123 at The Whaler during December 2012 and had a completely wonderful time. The unit is beautifully set up with two large bedrooms, both with king beds, a spacious living area and nicely equipped galley style kitchen. The master bedroom has an attached full bath and massive closet space. The main bath, located across the hall from the guest bedroom, is a great bonus. The living room/dining room has a great Hawaiian feel with the wicker style furniture.

The art work of Robert Lyn Nelson throughout the condo was incredible and much admired by all of us throughout our time there. During our stay, we came across Diamond Head Gallery which has Mr. Nelson’s artwork. We were fortunate enough to meet Mr. Nelson on the Friday, which is art night in Lahaina. This was an incredible experience for us and our daughters.

Having laundry in the suite is a major plus as we were able to do laundry almost every day without worrying about taking up the facilities that are shared by all the other guests.

While the condo is located at the back of the building, the ocean isn’t that far away and the privacy we had was excellent. The garden greenery blocked our lanai from the side, so we could have our curtains open without anyone glancing in as they walk by. Another great feature is that each room had patio doors, so in all, there were five patios that we could have open, enjoying the wonderful Hawaiian breeze. Because we were so close to the ocean, we didn’t spend that much time on the lanai. When we did though, it was so nice to have our privacy and so much room to relax in.

Prior to our visit, I was in contact with the owner. He was very helpful in giving us ideas of what to do/see during our visit. It was very nice to talk with him prior and I was able to contact him during our stay as well. Knowing that he was readily available was very important.

In our family, there are only four of us so the condo had more than enough space for all of us. The location is amazing: the beach is a moment’s walk away, Black Rock is a beach stroll away, next door to The Whaler’s Village, restaurants abounding, concrete walkway all along the beach, six minutes from Lahaina – what more can you ask for!! When we come back to Ka’anapali, we definitely will be staying here again. As I write this, my heart misses Maui…

Anne

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was my third stay at the Whaler over the course of 20 years. All my visits, including this recent one, were a lovely experience. Each condo is individually owned, so the furnishings are different in each one. This visit we had an ocean view 1 bedroom, 1 bath on the 7th floor of Tower 2. Tower 2 is the building right next door to Whaler's Village and the Hula Grill. fyi - Tower 1 is the building closest to Black Rock. We were greeted by a complimentary pineapple in our fridge along with 2 bottles of water and a note welcoming us. Our kitchen was modern (granite countertops, stainless steel applicances) and had all the dishes, cookware, utensils and appliances anyone could need. There's 3 grocery stores all within a 5 minute drive. Our lanai was large, and was shared both by our living room and the bedroom. The lanai had two loungers and a table with 4 chairs, and looked out over the bay across to lanai and Whaler's Shopping Village. Most mornings we had our breakfast at the table on the lanai, which was a wonderful way to start our day. Our bedroom had a king bed, sitting chair and ottoman, flat screen tv and writing desk with two large closets. The bathroom vanity was in the closet area, and the toilet and shower were separate - no tub though. The living room had a dining table with 4 chairs, a large sofa unit, a tv console unit with play station and dvd player. The unit was clean and easily became our home away from home for our 7 nights . The beach was wonderful and great for swimming (no rocks). The pool had enough chairs and cabanas for everyone. We did have a brief yet poor experience at one point with the woman who works in the pool area where you attain your pool towels, and she also sells tours, sunglasses and other items. She apparently was having a bad day and chose to be snippy with my husband and made a rude comment about mainlanders. You can also rent DVD's for free in an area adjacent to the office, and we did view 3 films - a nice option. Parking was in the garage for $13 daily. A couple of times the garage was full and we unfortunately had to park in the outdoor lot out beside the entry gate - a minor inconvenience.

Room Tip: All rooms are not alike. Make sure you inquire which unit you're renting, and be sure to ask ho...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach? Share your experiences!