“Paradise on Kaanapali Beach” 5 of 5 stars

15% OFF FALL TRAVEL
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sacramento, California
“Paradise on Kaanapali Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed in the Whaler three times and also many of my friends stayed there on many occasions.All condos were great,and now I'd stay there pretty much in any condo on any floor and with any view. Still the best I think are condos with the Black Rock view, higher than 6-th floor.
Location is outstanding, (two steps to snorkeling,gorgeous beach,restaurants,shops ),condos are spacious,the resort is quiet and stylish. I strongly recommend it for anybody and for any occasion.
The best booking "deals" have been made either through VRBO or by contacting independent owners.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Aloha Nui,

Staying at The Whaler three times is a milestone because the experience becomes a tradition. Your comments are valued and your feedback welcome. As for the best way to reserve a stay at The Whaler the “deals” could be a debate. As the GM of the in-house rental program I am biased. But this does not mean I am not a realist too. I recognize the fragmented nature of business and travel when it comes to reserving a condominium. If you are like me, you want to know what you are buying, what to expect, who is going to be there for you when something goes wrong and what level of service I am willing to sacrifice for a low rate or low quality room. In fact, this is a really important topic that deserves attention. To show my sincerity I want to share the following. I know some owners who rent on their own who do an amazing job. Equally, there are some who do not know anything about hospitality. VRBO has become the marketplace du jour. As a future guest and/or owner booking a room via VRBO tends to take a large time commitment to execute an agreement and deposit schedule with an independent owner. Alternatively, in-house rental programs exist for important reasons. In my opinion, the program remains the best way to guarantee a great trip. We call it “trip insurance.” Am I willing to pay a little more for this, yes. Here are some examples: incredibly high standards for cleaning of rooms, in house teams trained to respond to guest needs and the ability to move rooms if I want. Perhaps my dad said it best when he taught me Caveat Emptor, which means “buyer beware”. This advice guides me often. Lastly, I would like to suggest guests be very careful booking accommodations via Craigslist. This appears to be the most insecure transaction. On behalf of all the staff at The Whaler we thank you for your patronage.

Aston Hotels and Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Napa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My brother and I accompanied our parents to Maui to celebrate their 30th Wedding Anniversary last September and stayed 7 nights at the Whaler. We had discovered and stayed at the Whaler the previous year through a Costco promotion. We rented two studio condos in tower 2 and were impressed both times.

The Whaler is situated in the heart of Kaanapali Beach right next to the Whaler's Village. That means you are right next door to restaurants, right down the beach from snorkeling at Black Rock, and right next to a beautiful swimming beach. We had a freshly cut and chilled pineapple ready to eat when we checked in. The hotel has a free DVD Kiosk similar to redbox where you can check 2 movies out at a time per room during your stay. The pool and spa are located right along the beachfront path. The pool doesn't have bells and whistles like the neighboring hotel pools, but with a beach so close, the added amenities are not needed.

Our units were very nice and very clean. They had a equipped kitchen for cooking (we stocked up on fresh fish at Costco on our way from the airport) and a BBQ area close to the beachfront path. The views from the towers were incredible. Tower 2 looks out over Whaler's Village on one side and out over the ground of the hotel towards Black Rock on the other side.

The front desk staff was truly wonderful and made us feel welcome.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors of tower
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Aloha oe,

We are honored that your family selected to stay at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach for your parents’ special occasion, thank you. A Costco membership has many benefits and so does staying at The Whaler. Location, value, quality and service are important measures great companies use to ensure great performance. The pool is so close to the ocean that according to state rules we cannot change it. I am glad you found the close proximity to the ocean refreshing as the best alternative. I will be sharing your review with our entire team so they can see your great comments. Your recommendation means a lot to us and we hope you will join us again soon.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our family stayed in Unit 121/123 at The Whaler during December 2012 and had a completely wonderful time. The unit is beautifully set up with two large bedrooms, both with king beds, a spacious living area and nicely equipped galley style kitchen. The master bedroom has an attached full bath and massive closet space. The main bath, located across the hall from the guest bedroom, is a great bonus. The living room/dining room has a great Hawaiian feel with the wicker style furniture.

The art work of Robert Lyn Nelson throughout the condo was incredible and much admired by all of us throughout our time there. During our stay, we came across Diamond Head Gallery which has Mr. Nelson’s artwork. We were fortunate enough to meet Mr. Nelson on the Friday, which is art night in Lahaina. This was an incredible experience for us and our daughters.

Having laundry in the suite is a major plus as we were able to do laundry almost every day without worrying about taking up the facilities that are shared by all the other guests.

While the condo is located at the back of the building, the ocean isn’t that far away and the privacy we had was excellent. The garden greenery blocked our lanai from the side, so we could have our curtains open without anyone glancing in as they walk by. Another great feature is that each room had patio doors, so in all, there were five patios that we could have open, enjoying the wonderful Hawaiian breeze. Because we were so close to the ocean, we didn’t spend that much time on the lanai. When we did though, it was so nice to have our privacy and so much room to relax in.

Prior to our visit, I was in contact with the owner. He was very helpful in giving us ideas of what to do/see during our visit. It was very nice to talk with him prior and I was able to contact him during our stay as well. Knowing that he was readily available was very important.

In our family, there are only four of us so the condo had more than enough space for all of us. The location is amazing: the beach is a moment’s walk away, Black Rock is a beach stroll away, next door to The Whaler’s Village, restaurants abounding, concrete walkway all along the beach, six minutes from Lahaina – what more can you ask for!! When we come back to Ka’anapali, we definitely will be staying here again. As I write this, my heart misses Maui…

Anne

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was my third stay at the Whaler over the course of 20 years. All my visits, including this recent one, were a lovely experience. Each condo is individually owned, so the furnishings are different in each one. This visit we had an ocean view 1 bedroom, 1 bath on the 7th floor of Tower 2. Tower 2 is the building right next door to Whaler's Village and the Hula Grill. fyi - Tower 1 is the building closest to Black Rock. We were greeted by a complimentary pineapple in our fridge along with 2 bottles of water and a note welcoming us. Our kitchen was modern (granite countertops, stainless steel applicances) and had all the dishes, cookware, utensils and appliances anyone could need. There's 3 grocery stores all within a 5 minute drive. Our lanai was large, and was shared both by our living room and the bedroom. The lanai had two loungers and a table with 4 chairs, and looked out over the bay across to lanai and Whaler's Shopping Village. Most mornings we had our breakfast at the table on the lanai, which was a wonderful way to start our day. Our bedroom had a king bed, sitting chair and ottoman, flat screen tv and writing desk with two large closets. The bathroom vanity was in the closet area, and the toilet and shower were separate - no tub though. The living room had a dining table with 4 chairs, a large sofa unit, a tv console unit with play station and dvd player. The unit was clean and easily became our home away from home for our 7 nights . The beach was wonderful and great for swimming (no rocks). The pool had enough chairs and cabanas for everyone. We did have a brief yet poor experience at one point with the woman who works in the pool area where you attain your pool towels, and she also sells tours, sunglasses and other items. She apparently was having a bad day and chose to be snippy with my husband and made a rude comment about mainlanders. You can also rent DVD's for free in an area adjacent to the office, and we did view 3 films - a nice option. Parking was in the garage for $13 daily. A couple of times the garage was full and we unfortunately had to park in the outdoor lot out beside the entry gate - a minor inconvenience.

Room Tip: All rooms are not alike. Make sure you inquire which unit you're renting, and be sure to ask ho...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed here with my hubby for our honeymoon. Hotel was massive just for the two of us with kitchen. We had a complimentary pineapple in the fridge which was very nice.

The view from our room was the beach and the sunset was spectacular.
It's closed to resturants and shops. Great service even though when we first arrived there to checked in seems like the person serving us couldn't get rid of us any quicker but loved the fish pond.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Aloha and Congratulations!

Special occasions are the best moments in life and a honeymoon certainly qualifies. We appreciate your feedback and are very happy you enjoyed the Maui Gold pineapple. The grower makes a special effort to deliver them to us direct from the fields. I wish I could say that every service action was as sweet as the pineapple. I would like to personally apologize to you for what you experienced at the front desk. That is not the first impression we want to make to our guests. We hope that the rest of the team did their part to take care of your needs and your first impression at check in did not damper your visit. Just like the grower who delivers the best pineapple in the world our service team typically makes special efforts to serve our guests. I often remind my team about a philosophy from Danny Meyer called “enlightened hospitality.” It starts with how we make our guests feel. We want every guest to feel welcome and cared for. Please join us again on your next best occasion; your one year anniversary. All the best.

Huntingtown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My family rented three condos at the Whaler. We enjoyed oceanfront views from the balcony, and beach is great (plenty of space for the family). The condos were all clean, nice and updated in furnishings and appliances. The location is also very conveniently located withing walking distance of the Whaler Village shopping mall, and the Hula Grill restaurant on the beach which we thoroughly enjoyed! Free bus transportation to downtown Lahaina is also available from the facility - very convenient. Finally, for the golfers in your family, the Royal Ka'anapali Golf Course (location of the Champions Skins Game) is right behind the Whaler. It a beautiful, challenging and fun course which we thoroughly enjoyed playing!!

Room Tip: Our condos were recently updated - I've heard that some may not be as up to date. It's wort...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Aloha Nui,

Thank you for your great review of The Whaler, Whalers Village and the Kaanapali Golf Course. All are within walking distance and just minutes of The Whaler and this is one of the key reasons some guests elect not to rent a car while staying with us. There really is something for everyone at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach. We hope to see you next year.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We rented a two-bedroom ocean front condo as this was my in-laws first and possibly only time to visit Maui. The condo far exceeded our expectations. Beautiful views, great furnishings, very well-kept, recently remodeled with all the comforts of home. The pool is great and beach conveniently right out the back door. Also, this is right next to Whaler's Village, where you'll find great shopping and restaurants. A great location and experience. Definitely worth the extra money!

• Stayed December 2012
Aloha oe,

We are honored that your family selected to stay at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach during your vacation. A great location and experience is exactly what we strive to provide. I know my team is going to love your review and I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. The two bedroom ocean front units are the best kept secret at The Whaler. At almost 2,000 square feet and closer to the water than any other property on the beach; I have to agree the extra cost completes the experience. As they say in Hawaii… “A hui hou” until we meet you again.

The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach

Been to Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach? Share your experiences!