“Third Time's the Charm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
San Diego
“Third Time's the Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Our three stays (so far) at Napili Sunset were Dec 1998, Nov 2003, and Sept 2010. Our conclusion is that late summer is the best of the three because the bay is calmer and more conducive to snorkeling and floating on the water. One of the reasons we love Napili Sunset is that the one and two bedroom units are right on the beach; another is that the laundry room always has a supply of beach chairs, boogie boards, and inflatable mats. These are a delight to borrow for the duration of your stay. Napili Sunset has abundant and beautiful plants on the property and a great location. Not a luxury hotel but a very comfortable and reasonably priced set of condominium units. There is no longer any smoking permitted on the property, which is a huge plus for us. The outdoor showers and bbqs are convenient and easy to use. The nearby markets (one in walking distance, one a short drive) stock everything and have sales and specials that take some of the pinch out of grocery shopping in the Hawaiian islands.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

I have stayed at the Napili Sunset at least 5 times since the early 70's when I first stayed there with my parents. I have looked over the reviews of the Napili Sunset and I was kind of surprised at how many negative responses were listed. We have stayed there 3 times now in the last four years and they have updated the kitchens and I didn't see any signs of carpet that needed to be replaced. Yes, our bed this time was soft and to make it worse it was a double bed. It would be nice if the one bedrooms had at least a queen size in them. Yes, there are geckos and if you leave food and crumbs out you will also have cockroaches and ants. But hey, it's a tropical island; what do you expect?

The locals do use the beach, but I had more noise from an upstairs guest than I did the locals. But the area is secure and we have always stayed on the bottom floor rooms.

I guess what you need to decide before choosing any hotel in Maui is what you want out of your vacation. If you want a newer hotel with a beautiful tropical garden in the lobby (the Hyatt at Kaanapail comes to mind) with a big pool scene, lots of activities to do then you may not want to stay here. Not that you can't just as easily drive down to Kaanapali or Lahaina but if what you're looking for is a hotel with lots of "stuff" then don't come here.

However, if you want to have a one bedroom condo, with a full kitchen so you don't have to eat out all the time and you want to walk outside a few steps (I mean just a few steps) and be on one of the most beautiful beaches in Hawaii then this is the place. Relaxing, lots of sun, snorkeling and if you're lucky, some significant surf. Yes, the place is dated...like I said, I stayed here after it was first built and on the outside it looks pretty much the same. The shower was small. But it is clean, they do have daily maid service, the internet is free (unlike many of the newer hotels) and when we did have trouble connecting we were able to call someone to help connect us and he was fast and friendly. I wish we had a king size bed in our unit and I guess some of the units do have a king size bed. I slept on the hideaway bed (just can't sleep with wife on a double) and I can't say I had the best night sleep. But, hey, I was in Maui, in a condo on the beach. I could hear the surf all night long and it was a great trip. Really, how can I complain about that? I will be going back. Geckos and all.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Delta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

My Dad surprised the family and took all of us to Maui this April. There were 13 of us in the group! Two families of five, my Mom and Dad and Myself. We had 2 - 2 bedroom condos and 2 - 1 bedroom condos! We could not have asked for a better place! The staff is wonderful! The children woke up every morning and were building sand castles and swimming by 7 am! The kitchens were fully equipped and the other guests were all so friendly! We had a family reunion bbq with relatives from the Island and the sfaff set up tables for us! We saw whales playing everyday and many turtle sightings! The beach can be a bit rough and not optimal snorkeling buy there are places very close! Great family place!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Pasadena, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I'm staying here with my husband and three young children. The one bedroom oceanfront upstairs with loft is clean. I wish I had this kitchen! The view is amazing. We have seen the whales out towards Molokai jumping high in the air at least every other day. Green sea turtles coming up close to check out the people on the beach. Just around the corner near the Gazebo are more turtles floating in the rocks. There are high waves here somedays but just to the right near the Sea House Restaurant the waves are much calmer because they are out of the wind. The kids love making sand castles and going in the pool. You don't need to buy anything like beach chairs, snorkel masks, pool and beach toys, books and magazines. There are plenty down in the laundry room for everyone to borrow! I think there are around 50 books here in the condo alone but haven't had time read any of them or my magazines. We like to sit on the lanai and drink the Kona Coffee we purchased just steps away at the General Store. Lahaina is very close. We like hanging out at the amazing Banyan tree. We drove to Twin Falls one day but I didn't think it was worth the day of going there and coming back, I'd rather of stayed on the beach but I love the restaurant on the way home in Paia. Cafe des Amis was delicious and the outside courtyard was nice. The food in Napili hasn't been great. The Gazebo was not a good breakfast but expensive and at Maui Tacos the burrito was $7.75 and the cashier was rude. The food was cold. McDonald's is a short drive down the road. Maui Dive shop is helpful and sells kids rash guards. There is another shop next to it that sells clothes to wear at a Luau. I bought my boys cute hawaiian shirts (Made in Hawaii) and me a blue wrap dress. The dress was $17.00 and the boys shirts were 15.00 each and come with shorts! Don't bring alot. Just the swimsuit and sandals and shoes for climbing the rocks or climbing near the slippery waterfalls. Keene's work great. They sell them here near Lahaina at Shoe Fetish. Oh....if you have an iphone or itouch download the an app for the swells in the ocean. Especially if you are deciding on which day to take your whale watching tour. It's sweelinfo.com

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Attending a friend wedding and found paradise. Napili Sunset is great for family vacation. Beach barbecue sipping on a cool mai tai, sometimes dolphins and whales would entertain. Very relaxing and soothing for the mind and soul. Thanks to Lee & Tim for inviting us to their wedding and sharing Napili Sunset with us.

Only bad incident in our last night was a guest in 105 yelling and knocking on doors complainig about bugs and wants Napili Sunset to compesate him for his own insecurity

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Yukon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

We loved this place. My husband and I spent 10 days on Maui, we left our last 4 nights to chance with booking so we could explore and find the best deal. We weren't too impressed with anything in Wailea and Kihea so we headed north. Napili Bay is a tucked away little gem. We check out a couple places and were sold on the Napili Sunset. Very friendly staff showed us a couple different places before we fell in love with a second floor corner suite. Very clean with the most spectacular view. It has a slightly dated decore but the lanai and view more than made up for it. We spent our last few days in Maui doing some of the best snorkeling ever- turtles and colourful reefs. Walking distance to the amazing Merrimans restaurant for one of the best happy hours and dinners ever.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Ocean Shores Wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We have just returned from a week at Napili Sunset on Maui... we have never enjoyed a vacation spot more than Napili Bay. We had booked a studio at Napili Sunset, upon arrival we were offered an upgrade to a beachfront 1 bedroom for a small increase in price. All we can say is... wow..the furnishing are very Hawaiian and very nice, but the view off the lanai is spectacular, well worth the usual extra cost. We spent a lot of our vacation just sitting and enjoying the view of the ocean, beach and the turtles , who cruise the ocean along the beach to see what the people are doing!!
The staff is wonderful, front desk, housekeeping , grounds keeper, they are all so friendly.
Although Napili Sunset is an older property, it is immaculate..everyone strives to make sure you enjoy your vacation, which we did, we will never stay anywhere else on Maui, it was just wonderful. We will go back in the spring, can hardly wait.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Napili Sunset? Share your experiences!