“Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Wheaton, Illinois
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Great location! We stayed in the Puna II building that was newly renovated. Couldn't have asked for a nicer room. The location was perfect. 2nd floor ocean front with the best view! What really makes this a special place are the incredible staff. They truly do make you feel like family and you are "home". The first thing they say to you at check-in is "Welcome home". When we return, we will only stay at Napili Kai Beach Resort!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

541 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Excellence with the true Hawaiian graciousness of Maui. I have never received such incredable customer service, the food was outstanding, and my room was grand. I love the Nalili Kai and when I come back to Maui I will only stay there.

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Location is the best on Napili Bay. We were in the Lanai building, ocean view studio with a great view overlooking the bay. There was no A/C in our room (some buildings do have it). If we didn't get such a great price, this could have been a huge problem. Although the tradewinds were blowing, it was not in our direction so the nights were warm in the room. The room was also a bit dated. It seemed the kitchen had been updated, but the bedroom was not. We would have been upset if we paid some of the standard rates shown on their website. But, with the great deal we had - we couldn't complain. Good mai tai's at the bar in the afternoon from Paul. Went to the Gazebo everyday for our mac nut pancakes - if you show up around 12:45pm you can get right in - no wait (only open until 2pm). Tip: the Kapalua shuttle will pick you up and take you to Sansei, Pineapple Grill, Ritz Carlton restaurants - just have the front desk give them a call. Worked out great. Napili Kai does have a hospitality suite if you have a late flight. They let you use it for 1 hour, it does have a shower so you can get cleaned up before the airport. If you leave enough time you can catch your last meal at the Paia Fish Market - great!

Camarillo, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

It's worth noting that this place was originally called the Napili Kai Beach Club, and later renamed to "Beach Resort" due to confusion about who it was available to. It really is a low-key, very quiet group of rooms. No building is over two stories tall, so look elsewhere for you skyscraper fans.

There's tons of reviews here already, so I'll limit mine to things I haven't yet seen or disagree with.

We stayed in a Keaka room, with air conditioning, while my girlfriend's parents stayed in another building which did not. I'm not sure about the necessity of it, though - we used it to dry out the air of the room much more than cool it down, as it reached about 70F each night. It wasn't a huge deal when we were in the other room. If you're from a much cooler climate, you may want it, but I hail from Southern California, where temperatures can reach well above the usual 85F found here.

It should also be mentioned that the Keaka room I stayed in was much larger than a standard hotel room - the lanai was huge, bathroom was similarly huge with separate jacuzzi tub and shower, and the king bed didn't take up nearly all the space in the room. The bed was two twins pushed together, which reminded me of a cruise ship bed - not hugely thick or pillow-topped, but there was a box spring, and it was plenty comfortable. I've had hotel beds much worse.

I laughed when I saw others complaining about the resort rules. Really, they're common courtesy, and not difficult to follow. Want proof? Here they are, summarized: don't hang bathing suits and towels over lanai railings (they'd probably blow away anyway), don't put grease or bones down the garbage disposals, only use the resort BBQs - not your own, don't remove pool furniture, age restrictions on the hot tub - nobody under 16 after sunset (adult swim? Heck yeah), quiet hours 10p-8a, no pets, don't touch the coral reef, don't store bikes/etc in hallways, no fireworks, don't shortcut through [meticulously maintained & beautiful] shrubbery, and don't take home rocks/sand/coral. That's it.

In exchange for following those simple rules, things like towel service, sporting equipment (croquet, bocce, putters & balls, snorkel gear) are free of charge, which was a pleasant surprise.

If I could change one thing, this geek would like to have an ethernet cable that was 10' longer so that it reached out to the lanai. Seriously, the one time I didn't bring an cable with coupler, I wanted it. Oh well, that's hardly a complaint. Other geeks may be interested to know that the bandwidth appears to be 1mpbs/384kbps per person, which is horrible on the mainland, but reasonable if you look up the cost and bandwidth available to island residents.

I don't really know whether it's a decent value or not, as I got it as part of a air/hotel/car combo from Costco. If I do my math properly, and guesstimate on the value of the car and airfare, I'd say we paid about $1600 for 8 nights. Sounds reasonable, though I can't compare to other resorts.

It's calm, it's quiet, and I'm not looking forward to going home in a few days.

Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

This is old Hawaii at it's finest. Low rise buildings, and wonderful location on it's own private bay over looking Lanai and Molikai. Doesn't get any better. Stay 2 weeks and go home in a state of total relaxation.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a one week "babymoon" here. We have been to Oahu and Kauai and still like Kauai best but we really enjoyed this hotel and the location on Maui (much better than Kanapali!)

Maui is very dry and being up at the NW end of the island was more lush (more like Kauai), but also very windy in the afternoons! It was fine for us because it kept it from feeling too hot. We also got some rain showers once in awhile in the late afternoon but they only lasted a few minutes. It was not a big deal. This can be common on the islands.

For the Hotel: The LOCATION on the beach is hard to beat and every room has an ocean view although some are better than others. We had a room with a mini fridge but without a kitchenette, next time I would get one with a kitchenette so we would have more freedom to eat in our rooms (eating out gets soo $$expensive).

This hotel is owned by shareholders. As such, there are usually a handful of them hanging out there. They are very friendly and make the place feel more like a time-share than a hotel.

The ROOMS are clean and very spacious but a bit dated. They could really stand to replace the old-school itchy bedspreads, and blankets with soft european lightweight duvets & duvet covers -and get some new beds (not very firm). Flatscreen TVs would be a nice update and I would have liked knowing ahead of time that there was a DVD player in the room!

The BATHROOMS are pretty plain/ugly but gigantic and clean. Its Hawaii after all, they could add some pretty colored walls and art work to make them feel more spa-like. They do have jetted tubs AND stall showers! A few more hooks all over the place would be helpful!!

The lanai/balconies are large with chairs out there and views. No hanging things over the rail though, you have to drape them on your chairs.

Here are some more PROS:
~ 18 hole FREE Putt-Putt golf is a blast. My husband played every day. Also has a smaller kiddie course for the kids. These both have ocean views.
~ Free coolers & ice to borrow during your stay
~ Free morning coffee in the lobby
~ Nice size beach towels
~ No resort fees or parking fees
~ NO high-rise style buildings- only 2 stories!
~ Concierge Holland Carter is super helpful and awesome
~ Take or leave lending library bookshelf in lobby
~ On site mini-spa- very tiny and not very posh but therapists were great!
~ Ocean views look out to the islands Lanai and Molokai
~ Close proximity to Honolua General store, Gazebo restaurant (breakfast!!) Maui Brew-Co, Roys and a handful of small sandwich, taco or coffee shops.
~ Get the full experience of all the Kapalua resort features w/o staying there!- beautiful grounds, walking path, restaurants and shops.
~ Close proximity to other great beaches and snorkel locations: Kapalua Bay, Honolua Bay, Napili Point

CONS:
~ Free snorkel (No fins) - These were not great quality and gave us trouble. After one day of using them we headed to Snorkel Bobs-close by and paid the $9/day for everything- well worth it.
~ I guess its a pro that they do have a restaurant (The Sea House) on site, but we did not care for it. The Pupus (appetizers) were less than stellar and the waitstaff was constantly trying to up-sell us on more drinks and food- both when dining casually AND more formally!! It was uncalled for.
~ Lobby computers are pay-only. I thought this was a little ridiculous given that it is a pretty nice resort, and everyone needs to use them eventually to print out boarding passes. And there is NO wireless access at the resort. We only had an ipod touch with us so this was a problem. There was in-room ethernet connection if you had a laptop.
~No chaise lounge chairs allowed on the beach-only pool. For the beach they have those little low-slung beach seats which are fine but not great. Also no cabanas to speak of.
~ Hotel staff is pretty quiet and reserved. They could do a better job of promoting the daily events in the lobby. Their main method of promotion is to leave messages on your in-room phone which is annoying.
~Can be WINDY!!

All-in-all if you want to stay on the NW part of the island, and have a nice selection of amenities- this is probably your best bet. It is a great location for families, couples or seniors, and is clean despite the 80s revival going on in the rooms!

Zionsville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

My wife and I just completed a two-week stay at the Napili Kai Beach Resort. This was our third trip to Hawaii and our first to Maui. We have some experience with travel in this country and others, to include a number of stays at five-star resorts. This is the finest hotel/resort we have ever stayed in. To say that about a resort like this is somewhat out of character for us because we usually seek out new hotels and the Napili Kai is an older resort, at least by Maui standards - some buildings almost 50 years old. This resort has an incredible history that overcame many challenges in its early days to become the jewel that it is today. You have watched the 60's movies that have all the cool exotic places that no longer exist and you wish you could still experience them when they were new? This is it. You almost expect the Rat Pack to walk around the corner in one of the hallways. The Napili Kai resort is immaculately maintained down to the finest detail - both buildings and grounds. There is no faded paint - every inch of the place is freshly painted. If there is a leaf on the ground in the morning, someone will have removed it by that afternoon. The grass throughout the resort (watered every day) is like a manicured putting green without a weed in it. The beach and shoreline are gorgeous - has to be one of the best in Maui. Our room was in the Puna II building, which recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation. This building is an upgrade, but for what they charge you, it is well worth it. Full kitchen, GE Profile appliances, granite countertops, real cherry cabinets, large lanai with heavy expensive whicker cushioned furniture - I could go on, but won't. We have stayed at Conrads and Ritz-Carltons - this room was the nicest we have ever stayed in. And speaking of the Lanai and hotel in general, when they built this place in the 60's and added on in the 70's, you could almost build on top of the ocean - they can't do that anymore. Our room was just a few feet from the ocean and we went to sleep every night with the sound of ocean breaking against the rocks below our room. And although our room was an upgrade, we looked at a number of other remodeled rooms (although not remodeled to the extent of our building) in other buildings that were nice. And I think almost every room in the place has a wonderful view of the ocean. The staff is incredible and many have worked there for decades (their name tags tell you how long they have been with Napili Kai). I think one of the bartenders has been there over 30 years. Staff will bend over backwards for you. As a whole, they are the nicest, most respectful and most helpful we have ever encountered. When we arrived to check in I approached the desk staff person and told her who I was. She did not say anything and walked away. She returned moments later with a papaya drink for me and said, "Welcome home." The resort advertises that it is family friendly and we found that to be the case. But what you will find here are mostly middle aged and older couples. It is a nice, quite place and if you like to let your kids run screaming through the hallways all day, then you won't be welcomed and this resort is not for you. The hotel's Beach House Restaurant has very good food and is very affordable for breakfast and lunch. Dinner at the restaurant is a more dress up affair (by Maui standards) and somewhat expensive (by my standards), but you get what you pay for and dinner is excellent. We like to explore our destinations and drove over 1,000 miles in our rental car. We found Lahaina (15 minutes from the Napili Kai) to be the most interesting and fun town on the island. Very touristy, but what isn't in Hawaii? What you will find is a beautifully picturesque town on the ocean with a lot of wonderful restaurants. The Beach Boys liked the town so much, they wrote a song about it. In reading the other reviews in TripAdvisor for the Napili Kai, I think our review is pretty consistent with other reviewers. There were a couple of reviewer comments, however, that our experience did not support. Some reviewers commented on bugs in the room. We saw very few bugs. This is a tropical climate. There are bugs in every hotel room in every hotel in Hawaii. Ask anyone who lives in this kind of climate. It is a battle you can fight, but will never win. Some complain about the regimented towel policy. You receive plastic cards that you turn in for beach towels at the beach house. You receive a towel for each card. When you turn the towel back in to the beach house, you receive your card back and when you check out they want their cards back. The resort is going to charge you for each plastic card you don't have at checkout. It is no big deal. The resort does this because if they didn't, no one would ever bring their towels back and the resort would be spending tons of money on towels. Many hotels don't even make beach towels available for you. My wife and I have stayed in many great places and at many great hotels, but have never had a desire to return to the same hotel again. We will return to Maui and the Napili Kai to again experience this beautiful island and classic resort.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Napili Kai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!