“Awesome week - we will be back.” 4 of 5 stars

Napili Kai Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   5900 Lower Honoapiilani Rd, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Urbandale, Iowa
“Awesome week - we will be back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Great beach, great views and the resort is in wonderful condition. We enjoyed our stay at Napili Kai and time in Maui . Our first trip to Hawaii (we have been to Aruba, Cabo San Lucas, Grand Caymans and others) and found this to be our favorite by far. The Sea House Restaurant's food was very good and we thought the prices reasonable compared to many places we have visited. Snorkeling was great and we enjoyed the putting greens. Napili Kai is probably more suited to people looking for a relaxing vacation, but Kaanapali is ten minutes away and Lahaina is only twenty minutes. My wife is excited to plan another visit to Maui and we plan to stay at Napili Kai
Beach Resort.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

We booked a flight, car and hotel deal through Expedia after I searched the internet for a few days for value-for-money-deals-at-a-resort-type-of-choice..... and whilst expecting less,we got so much more !

Close-to-beachfront-feet-in-the-sand-stuff was our aim at a resort which we thought would be more of the beaten track, yet within a short drive from everything...and we were so pleased ! We've stayed at them alll: many a five and four star resort on a few continents and then got less than expected. This time round we rather went with a value deal at a nice resort in Maui,and the holiday turned out really,really good and relaxing for us !

If you are looking for a yuppie 5 star resort where you have to be entertained every minute of the day or have to be in the main stream where everything happens there and then first.....well this is not for you. What you will find here however is a VERY beautiful covy,tropical beach, good for swimming (but take care,don't be a Mr Olympic), snorkeling (which I did for the very first time and will do going forward), and rock exploring on low tide (no kilometer on kilometer on kilometer walking though but a nice longish walk from side to side none the less), BEAUTIFUL big and well maintained gardens (which sets the scene), adequate sized,neat and equipped rooms, putting greens with 18 plus holes (beautifully groomed), a beach restaurant on the rocks, an adequate exercise room and other nice and thoughtful stuff.

As for some comments about the "towels issue" and the resort not being for young children, well....I beg to differ...no problem on our side at all with in-house-rules or issues with our child during our stay !

You can walk (really!) one block and be on the golf course and have to drive 10 minutes to Safeway for main grocery shopping at Lahaina(here again, no need for the bigger grocery shopping when you've just landed...do that the next day after you've rested, at Safeway ! (We found the prices really reasonable). Lots of other dining options all over and quick eat locations close as well.

Tips: take basic insurance on car - some roads are tight and parking generally is tight everywhere ! do the Haleakala (?) Crater trip by car - takes 6 or 7 hours but the views from that crater of Maui and surrounds on a clear day can't be described in words. watch the traditional Hawaiian Lahau (?) In Lahaina if you don't know whether you'll have the chance to visit Hawaii again. drink pina cooladas ....these islanders REALLY know how to make them. do some snorkeling and explore a whole new world !

This hotel is real value for money! Dedicated staff everywhere compliments this resort.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
milwaukee, wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed at Napili Kai in the last three years & it is just wonderful. An 'oceanview' Lani suite has a spectacular view of the gorgeous bay. The rooms, the beach, & the grounds are immaculate. It is NOT hard to follow the rules on towels. This time, we saw whales from our lanai three different times. The concierge is excellent & the staff are all unfailingly polite & friendly. We will back again . . . I almost hesitate to tell people because I don't want to give out our secret :-)

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We have stayed here several times and are getting ready for another trip later this year. The location is great! I am not a strong swimmer, but the beach here is perfect for swimming, snorkeling and lounging. I love the putt-putt course and mai tai party. The rooms are updated, clean and nice. The kitchen is functional and all you really need for vacation. This place is excellent and the bloody mary's are delicious.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

This resort has more arbitrary rules than an retirement village in Boca Raton. Here are a few examples: 1. When you check in, they give you a few plastic cards that you can exchange for beach towels. In theory, you are supposed to get the cards back when you return your beach towels. If you don't return the exact number of cards that you were given at check in, you are charged some outrageous sum per towel when you check out. Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of conserving resources. In reality, however, some guests lose their towels and steal someone else's towel to avoid the fine. In the five days that we were there, we had our towels stolen twice. When we told the guy at the beach hut what happened, he told us: "you are supposed to stay with your towels." I guess they expect you to wear the towels on your head like turbins when you go swimming. Anyway, who wants spend their vacation closely guarding a worn out beach towel? 2. The resort claims that kids eat free. But, if your child makes that mistake of ordering a "short stack" of 2 pancakes instead of a regular stack of 3 pancakes, they will charge you because the term "short stack" is used on the adult menu and includes a few nuts, while the "stack" of 3 pancakes is listed on the children's menu. 3. Although they advertise that all snorkeling equipment is free, this is misleading. It doesn't include fins. (We were told that, if we wanted fins, we could rent some at Snorkel Bobs.) In addition, during the first two days of our trip, we couldn't swim at the resort because of strong rip currents. Although there were other beaches nearby that were safe for swimming, the guy in the beach hut told us that they didn't like the snorkel equipment to leave the property and that it had to be returned each day by 5pm. When we finally got a mask and snorkel on our third day, the equipment was uncleaned and full of sand. 4. Although they advertise that the condos include daily maid service, there are signs in the condo stating that the maids have been instructed not to clean the kitchen (not even a glass or coffee mug) for some unexplicable reason. Finally, don't believe the Napili Kai's marketing statements and reviewers like Frommer's who claim that the Napili Kai is a real "find" for travelers with kids. When you enter the room, you will see literature stating something to the effect that children are expected to be under control at all times because "many of [their] guests have passed their child rearing years and/or chosen to go on vacation without their children." I believe that it is self-evident that parents should monitor their children, and such statements are patronizing. There is a strictly enforced quiet time between 10 pm and 8 am because the walls in the condos are thin. Ironically, although children are expected to be seen and not heard, you will hear lawn equipment and Fox TV blaring from some condos at odd hours. The claim that there are washers/dryers in all units is false: there are coin operated laundry machines in a few buildings. These all close at 8 pm. Although they advertise that they have a Keiki Club during "Spring Break/Easter" and I was told that they would have this when I booked my reservation two months in advance, I was told at check in that they had decided not to do the Keiki Club that week, but that children could attend the 1/2 hour presentations on lei making, etc. There was no one under 60 at those presentations. The bottom line: If the resort wants to cater to older guests, that's fine. But, they shouldn't market themselves as being "kid friendly."

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I stayed at Napili Kai in late January, after doing a huge amount of research on Maui accommodation. I wanted a place that was right on the beach, and after much thought, decided I wanted a hotel/resort rather than a rental or a condo. I also prefer smaller, independent hotels to large chains. Napili Kai fit all those requirements.
When I arrived, I was given a room on the main floor of the main building, between the lobby and the courtesy suite (available to people who need somewhere to stay after checkout if they have a late flight). It was also a handicapped room, and I thought that with all these factors, it was the default room, the worst room in the resort, the place they stick the single travellers. Sight unseen, I asked for an upgrade, and the very pleasant front desk attendant told me she could move me the next day (of a six-day stay). It turned out to be a lovely room. Quiet, fantastic view, close to parking, very spacious. Wonderful deck. I stayed put for the whole stay, turning down the upgrade.
Napili Bay is a beautiful spot for anyone who wants a quiet beach vacation. It's got great swimming, sheltered beach, uncrowded. Many people have commented on the grounds at this resort, and it truly is gorgeous. Built up with towering palm trees, with bougainvillia and hibiscus everywhere. There's an army of grounds keepers. It's incredibly peaceful - the vibe here is very low key. I did not find the room out of date, but it wasn't up to the minute either. The small kitchen was serviceable, and the room was surprisingly spacious.
One of the great bonuses of this property is its proximity to Kapalua - I went on a few walks and hikes up this almost deserted coastline, explored the beaches, ate at the Honolua General Store. You will not be bothered by anyone - the overall feel of the place is quiet, restorative, relaxing.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

My husband's family has been guests at Napili Kai Beach Resort since it was Napili Kai Beach Club. I fell in love 10 years ago when my fiance brought me here to be married on the grounds of the Resort.
It is the one place, in our many travels, that I need to return to over and over again. It is home, it is family, it is everything paradise should be.
It is not fancy, it is Hawaiian. Stunning grounds, gracious staff that is there year after year and to say it is relaxing is an understatement.
This is the only place I have ever left to return home and cried. I cry because it is so special and it will be another year before I can see and feel it again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Napili Kai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!