“Best resort in maui” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Redondo Beach, California
“Best resort in maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Maui after spending 10 days at the Napili Kai Beach resort. This place is by far the best resort on the Island. Here are the reasons why: 1) Property is located directly on the best beach in Maui (mostly private) 2) Best snorkeling in Maui (no need to go on any tours - just walk into the water with your mask and snorkel 3) Condos are clean and renovated (we stayed in Puna 11 - upper unit ocean front - the best the resort has to offer - UNBELIEVABLE!) 4) The staff is very friendly and accommodating 5) The restaurant on the property (The Sea House Restaurant) is fabulous 6) 3 of the top restaurants on the Island are merely a stones throw away (Merriman's, The Pineapple Grill, Sansei and The Gazebo (for breakfast) 7) If you want great tennis courts or a 5 star golf course...guess what...it's across the street - This resort has a loyal following and I can see why...We will be back next year...I hope this review helped

Room Tip: The Puna 11 and Puna Point complexes are by far the best (all have ocean front views and are renovat...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

532 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Just returned from a week at Napili Kai and I really can't think of anything to complain about. We had a beachfront studio room which was fantastic, wonderful lanai with comfortable furniture. The resort had everything, we checked out a cooler to take to other beaches, the putting green was fun, the grounds were very nice, the staff was great, and the location is fantastic. The bay is beautiful. The Sea House had a great daily happy hour. I look forward to returning to Napili Kai asap.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We tried the Seahouse for lunch on our first time at the Napili beach. The lanai had a great view of the ocean and the mango salad was very well balanced. It was warm on that day and the local draft beer was just perfect. Just as happy hour started (around 3 pm) we decided to move into the bar area, which was a huge open window with a nice breeze. The drinks there (original mai tais) were even better and the barwoman was a treasure of information for the Kapalua area.
I am glad I did not have to drive that far after all the drinks.

It is not the top restaurant, but definitely well worth it for a light lunch and drinks.

Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed in the Lani II building in an ocean view studio. Grounds are very clean and well kept, our room was very spacious, newly renovated, and had a HUGE lanai that was perfect for drinking coffee and just watching the bay. Staff is amazing, friendly, and helpful. Seahouse restaurant happy hour can't be beat. We had a room with no air conditioner and the temperature was just perfect.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Napili Kai Beach Resort was originally built in the 60's, but has continually been updated. While some of the rooms are slightly dated, they are clean and comfortable. The vegetation on the grounds have grown over the years and are exceptionally beautiful and very well kept. One of the things that make this one of the best places to stay on Maui is that has an exceptionally beautiful protected beach at the resort with several reefs just off shore for snorkeling. The Napili Kai Bay Beach is one of the best beaches on the island for swimming or just laying on the beach. Another thing that makes this one of the best places to stay is the Sea House Restaurant located right on the beach at the resort. Not only is the food at the Sea House Restaurant very good, the view from the restaurant is outstanding. If you are a golfer, you will really enjoy the putting greens that are part of the landscaping of the resort. The resort has an activity coordinator and there are many activities planned for the guest throughout the week including things like putting and Mai Tai Parties. For those who like to walk and explore, a real plus is that the resort is located a the beginning of the 1.76 mile Kapalua Coastal Trail that allows you to walk to other beaches in the area. There are grills located at the resort if you would like to cook your own food outside. You can even buy food from the resort to grill. The resort has an excellent concierge that can help you plan and obtain tickets to most of the activities on the island.

We had a Ocean View Family Studio which was dated, but spacious with a small kitchen and a very large balcony (lanai) that overlooked the resort pool and beach front. The room had excellent Wi-Fi service.
The resort is located at the west end of the island which is the dry side of the island. It is about 10 miles from Lahaina, a favorite tourist destination on the island with many great restaurants and lots of things to do and see. We had a great time at the resort and will definitely be going back

Things we liked:
• located on one of the best beaches on the island for swimming and snorkeling
• Beautiful and well kept grounds - 4 swimming pools
• Beautiful ocean and beach view from rooms
• Excellent restaurant at resort that is located on the beach
• Located on dry side of island and close to Lahaina
• Ocean View rooms have large balconies (Lanai)
• Wi-Fi in rooms
• Family studio has full kitchenette
• Friendly staff
• Guest activities scheduled for each day
• Towels, chairs and coffee for guest provided on beach
• Excellent concierge service

Things we did not like so much:
• tiny and sparse parking spaces -- even for a compact car
• our room was somewhat dated
• sidewalks in need of repair

Room Tip: strongly suggest getting an Ocean View Room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
North Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Everything about this property is wonderful!!!!!....from the rooms to the staff.....the grounds.....the facilities....the view....and the beach. We couldn't have asked for a better experience. Our studio condo was on the ground floor in the same building as the front desk and lobby. We had a view of the beach and the wonderful bay. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything we needed to enjoy several breakfasts there. My wife fell in love with your lovely resort. On the morning between 8:00 and 9:00 am of the second day, my wife was outside chatting with some people when she started shouting, "Dolphins"....Dolphins.....Dolphins.....I came out on the Lanai to see a group of Spinner Dolphins swim into the bay inside the reef. They were swimming with people snorkling and several paddle boarders were in the area too. The presence of the people didn't bother them at all. The hung around for 15 to 20 minutes. Unfortuneately I didn't get any pictures as I was too far away. In talking with one of the resort's staff members who had worked there 10 years, they had never seen this happen before where so many dolphins came so close to shore. We met so many nice people there too. Honeymoon couples.......anniversary couples who stayed here on their honeymoon and now are back after 10, 15, 20 or more years. The Restaurant was wonderful......enjoyed happy hour there as well as two breakfasts......prices were fair....food and drink quality were 5 star!!!! Will have dinner there next time. The front desk staff were helpful and took care of every request we made quickly. The Concierge desk was staffed by two very competent people...."happy" and "Kai" who were knowledgable, helpful, and friendly. They were not pushy at all regarding booking tours and activities. I would like to especially thank Kimberly" the front desk manager who saw to it that we had a downstairs condo instead of upstairs. I explained that I had had a hip replacement 6 months prior and while fully healed didn't want to have to negotiate stairs up and down. She expedited our request in a professional way and our downstairs condo was ready for us in a very short time. The is no doubt in my mind that we will stay here again and again.......The hardest thing to do was to pack and leave. We will never stay in the high rise cement condos and hotels in Kannapali ever again. One bit of guidance.....when you shop for groceries, go to the Safeway in Lahaina and don't shop at the Napili market. The Safeway had a much better selection and your Von's Club membership works there.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have air conditioning and some don't. We had one with just a ceiling fan. We...
Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My friend and I visited Maui this past February and while I was going through the photos I was awash in such warm feelings that I felt compelled to share my experience. The Napili Kai resort exceeded my expectations in nearly every way. The low-rise individual buildings hug a large part of the beach and the north point of Napili Bay. They are relatively small with pathways lined with mature trees and glorious flowers that wind and twist, creating interesting nooks to explore and a feeling of seclusion. The rooms are well maintained, spacious and comfortable. The kitchenette saved us a great deal of time and money (and probably a few extra pounds) by making it easy for us to eat in a couple meals a day. The views are amazing; from our lanai we saw dozens of whales blowing and breaching through the bands of Hawaii's famous rainbows.
The bay itself is only a short walk down a path that winds past the sea level rooms and the restaurant to the sand. Napili Bay beach is relatively quiet and clean. You will find a few sunbathers and kids with their dad half-buried in the sand. The bay water is fairly flat and clear with interesting coral reefs and rock spits, making for interesting snorkeling and exploring from a paddle board. Both of which my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Sea House restaurant offers delicious meals at a fairly reasonable price. Just be sure to make a reservation on weekends. I don’t think I’d bring my kids in, because the service is relaxed on Maui time, not toddler time. Don't neglect having a cinnamon roll for breakfast one day. Wow.

Our recently renovated room in the Aloha building was gorgeous, but I have a few small suggestions for improvements.

It needed more power outlets.
My friend and I were always jockeying for places to charge all of our gadgets, phones, cameras, iPad... A few more outlets near a small shelf would be perfect.

A rack for drying beach towels and swim trunks, rash guards, etc. would be helpful. I'm sure the management is concerned for eyesores, but like most other lanais, ours nearly always sported towel-draped wicker chairs. A small, fold up, steel rack in the corner would be less obtrusive.

The kitchen and bathroom floors seemed to need a good scrubbing. The room was tidy and vacuumed but a paper towel wicked over the tiles in the kitchen came up dirty on the first day. The grout was a bit grimy too.

All in all, my suggestions are very minor. The stay was wonderful, the staff was friendly and very helpful. The concierge, Happy--no seriously that is her name--was full of excellent advice and made reserving our paddle boards easy.

I can't wait to return with my family in a few years and I will certainly choose Napili Kai Resort again. We explored much of the island and while some had more polish and certainly more pomp, the Napili Kai Resort stands out because it blends in with Maui's amazing natural beauty.

What I liked:

Short walk to the water
Amazing lanai views
Excellent restaurant
Kid friendly atmosphere and beach
Kitchenette and refrigerator
Short walk to laundry facilities
Free Wi-fi (so many places charge an extra fee)
Air-conditioning
Large resort, small feel
Friendly and very helpful staff
Old world feel, yet very well maintained
No extra fees for parking, towels, shows et.al.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Napili Kai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!