“Wonderful gem in Napili” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mauian Hotel on Napili Beach

Save Saved
You added The Mauian Hotel on Napili Beach to your Saves list
The Mauian Hotel on Napili Beach
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   5441 Lower Honoapiilani Road, Napili, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #11 of 42 Specialty lodging in Lahaina
Roseville, California, United States
“Wonderful gem in Napili”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and we absolutely loved it. The price is amazing for what you get -- steps to the beach, full kitchen, breakfast every day, super comfy beds, and friendly staff. Napili is a wonderful little town that is far enough away from the super-touristy areas to feel more authentically Hawaiian. We did NOT want to leave.

The only concern I might have is there is no air conditioning. The fans were totally sufficient when we stayed in November, but during the summer, it might be a little hot at night.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a full kitchen -- it's totally worth it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Vancouver BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel two weeks ago, our room was #209 right on the beech second floor. Every morning at 7ish family's would set up just under our room and kids will will be kids but wow very loud. All day screaming, with no chance of resting. The room was tidied but not cleaned, daily the floors were not swept and at one point my pillow case had a dead bug on it, I removed the case and tossed it on the floor. The next day that same case was back on my pillow. This incident was reported to management, however at no point were we apologized to, zero financial compensation offered. This room cost us over $300US a night. I would take my money somewhere else if I were you.

Room Tip: If you have kids this hotel is fine but make sure they clean it, their charging more then enough mon...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My partner and I recently stayed at The Mauian during our very first trip to Hawaii. Ever. I have nothing but positive things to say about this property and we will return back soon for our second trip. I'll break this out into sections- so it's easy to understand what a great place this is.

Check-in:
Three words: Easiest check-in ever! I loved that they had a white board with our names on it to welcome us. I also loved the look of the place from the moment we turned in. It's very retro/packrat-esque (but that's totally what is special about it!) Drive slowly though, otherwise you might miss the sign and drive right past it. The lady in the reception office was very friendly and kind. When we requested a second floor room, she quickly went over to her computer, to see if they could accommodate us. They could move us to the second floor for all but one night- but we chose to be easy and stay on the first floor. Within minutes, we had our key to our room, had our stuff put away, swim suites on, and were on the beach. It was fantastic! :)

The room:
Perfect size for two people. The bed was very comfortable. The tile throughout was a good touch as we were tracking sand in and out. The kitchen was perfect! It had everything we needed to cook- pyrex, pots and pans, utensils, etc. - paper towels, soap, etc. The stand-up shower with rain shower head was very nice. As other reviews say, the soap isn't top of the line... We read this prior and decided to bring our own. Once we got there, we realized that it was suitable and used it anyways.

The Hotel Grounds:
Beautiful. Well maintained. Lots of beautiful plants and flowers. My only complaint is that in order to keep the grounds beautiful... this requires water. The sprinkler systems went off every morning pre-sunrise and usually woke me up. I didn't mind- as I liked starting the day out and walking the beach when it was absolutely empty!

Breakfast:
Simple, but suitable! I thought the coffee and juices were great. There were bagels, toast, fruits, and pastries. We also bought eggs and yogurt to add to our breakfast and would eat on the lanai daily. I'm not sure why people complain about the breakfast- I could understand if this was a luxurious 5-star hotel- but it's not. For what you're paying- this was a great touch. As someone who travels a lot- there are an overwhelming number of hotels that have NO perks at all.

The Beach:
Fantastic. The waves were large but we were literally 5 giant steps from the beach. It was great to run back to the room for a snack, drink, etc. Also, the beach chairs were comfortable and the beach was never over crowded. My partner and I sat under a palm tree every day and enjoyed people watching, swimming in the ocean, and walking down to the end of the beach in search of sea turtles.

Miscellaneous:
The beach towels are in your room and can be exchanged at the front desk anytime during business hours. The wi-fi worked in our room and on the beach. I skyped with my mom while sitting under the palm tree with no problems! There are quiet hours and we didn't hear a lot of noise like others have complained about. In addition, there isn't air conditioning but there was only one night were we went to bed feeling warm (I also think this was because I got a lot of sun on this particular day). There's a large parking lot and parking is free- they give you a pass to put on your day on the day you arrive.

Overall, Maui was a great vacation and part of this was due to The Mauian. We had a great time and we can't wait to return!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We choose an oceanfront room and was so unhappy with the hotel. Since we had been at a real boutique hotel at the Koa Kea in Kauai, we had high expectations. The Mauian was sub par at best. There is no luxury here. The hotel is surrounded by a billion condominiums and all the people scout out a place to spend the day at the beach right in front of the Mauian which meant they were all there with their screaming little ones (I like kids but not screaming all day right next to my room on vacation). Also, since we were on the ground floor we could hear EVERYTHING upstairs. There is also NO upgraded features at all. If you are looking for privacy, luxury and quiet this isn't the place for you. The included breakfast was direct from Costco - fruits and breads. Nothing special here.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the beach or on the bottom floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
naluli, General Manager at The Mauian Hotel on Napili Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments, as we do listen and appreciate all feedback. The Mauian is not a luxury property nor are we a full-service hotel (with restaurant facilities, for instance), and we do not promote ourselves as such. We are a small, simple property with lovely studio units situated directly on Napili Beach, and it is that unpretentious ambiance that most of our guests enjoy about the Mauian. We are so sorry you were disappointed in your visit with us, and that you were disturbed by noise on the beach. We completely understand that our little property is not suited to everyone’s personal tastes. We hope you will give us another try, but if not, we hope you will at least visit Maui again.

Aloha,
Nane Aluli
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here recently and it was a tremendous experience. The grounds we beautiful, the beach is on of the nicest Ive been on, the rooms were decorated very tastefully, hotel was very quiet after 9. There was a lot of people who returned every year to this same hotel. Most people were over 50. The continental breakfast was a great thing every morning, with plenty of fruit, bread, cereal and coffee. Our room had a full kitchen $210 a night), and there were 3 bbq grills around the pool. Free Wifi in rooms and free parking for your car (renting a car is a must on Maui).

The beach was incredible. I saw plenty of turtles right in Napili Bay while snorkeling. Great place for weak swimmers to swim as the waves are quite small. Napili Sunset has a webcam.

It was a bit pricey, but very much worth it. It looked a lot better than the other hotels on the beach and it appeared to be a much better experience than the giant hotels on Kaanaapali beach. I think a good budget option might be Napili Surf hotel, but if you can afford it, stay here!

• Stayed October 2012
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

As we travelled to Maui for our honeymoon, we did a lot of research to find the perfect accomodation on the island. Based on previous Tripadvisor reviews, we decided to book 4 nights at The Mauian.
The area (Napili Bay) was an excellent choice, however we were deceived by The Mauian. It was actually the first time we ever checked out of a hotel earlier than we planned.

Why?
- We were suprised that for 260 USD/ night there was no one to welcome us when we arrived at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. But it was ot a big deal, as we picked up our keys hanged next to the reception desk and found our room
- The place feels like an average condo, and as the two buildings are facing each other everyone looks at everyone (we could actually see into most of the rooms).
- The biggest problem was the extremely this walls through which we could hear each and every word our neighbours were saying. There were "quiet hours" specified in the welcome pack (10 pm - 7 am), which made us feel like in a dorm, and stressed us if we didn't manage to sleep at 10, only at midnight, we would be woken up at 7 am the next morning. Additionally, unfortunately our neighbours did not respect the quiet hours and went on talking until late at night while others woke us up at 6. When we tried to sleep back later in the morning (when everyone was on the beach) we were woken up by housekeeping personnel shouting at each other from one room to the other. It was unfortunately impossible to get a good rest in this hotel.
- The personnel in general was not really nice (eg. the lady at breakfast)
- Breakfast was extremely basic (well, at least included for 260 usd/ night)

In the hotel's defense, the garden was beautiful and our room was clean and nicely furnished. We ended up checking out after 2 nights, and we appreacted that the receptionist allowed this. We checked into the neighbouring Napili Kai, where for the same amount of money (slightly less actually) we got a very spacious true ocean-looking very calm room.

We did not regret leaving the Mauian.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, as we do care very much about the feedback of every guest who stays with us. We are so sorry that you were disappointed in your honeymoon visit at the Mauian. Our property is small with a limited staff, and some do not speak English very well and may come across as a bit shy. The buildings—which are a traditional Hawaiian style from the 1950s—do face inwards. Most of our guests enjoy this design, as it promotes a friendly ambiance and allows opportunities to mix and meet other guests, if you wish. However, we don’t promote the Mauian as an ideal honeymoon destination, as the buildings are not designed for a great deal of privacy. We know that our little property is not for everyone. We are pleased that you found other accommodations that suited your personal tastes, and we hope your Maui honeymoon was wonderful and memorable.

Aloha,
Nane Aluli
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I took my bride to be and 11 extended family members to the Mauian for our wedding held right on the grounds. The self-catering rooms and reasonable rates for a beach front hotel in Maui kept the cost down. The venue is spectacular, amazing sunsets, soft sand beach on the small Napili bay. The coral reef stretching across the bay holds dozens of tropical reef species and at least 8-10 sea turtles.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the south side to have a shady porch all day.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Mauian Hotel on Napili Beach? Share your experiences!