As we travelled to Maui for our honeymoon, we did a lot of research to find the perfect accomodation on the island. Based on previous Tripadvisor reviews, we decided to book 4 nights at The Mauian.
The area (Napili Bay) was an excellent choice, however we were deceived by The Mauian. It was actually the first time we ever checked out of a hotel earlier than we planned.
- We were suprised that for 260 USD/ night there was no one to welcome us when we arrived at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. But it was ot a big deal, as we picked up our keys hanged next to the reception desk and found our room
- The place feels like an average condo, and as the two buildings are facing each other everyone looks at everyone (we could actually see into most of the rooms).
- The biggest problem was the extremely this walls through which we could hear each and every word our neighbours were saying. There were "quiet hours" specified in the welcome pack (10 pm - 7 am), which made us feel like in a dorm, and stressed us if we didn't manage to sleep at 10, only at midnight, we would be woken up at 7 am the next morning. Additionally, unfortunately our neighbours did not respect the quiet hours and went on talking until late at night while others woke us up at 6. When we tried to sleep back later in the morning (when everyone was on the beach) we were woken up by housekeeping personnel shouting at each other from one room to the other. It was unfortunately impossible to get a good rest in this hotel.
- The personnel in general was not really nice (eg. the lady at breakfast)
- Breakfast was extremely basic (well, at least included for 260 usd/ night)
In the hotel's defense, the garden was beautiful and our room was clean and nicely furnished. We ended up checking out after 2 nights, and we appreacted that the receptionist allowed this. We checked into the neighbouring Napili Kai, where for the same amount of money (slightly less actually) we got a very spacious true ocean-looking very calm room.
We did not regret leaving the Mauian.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
November 19, 2012
Thank you for your comments, as we do care very much about the feedback of every guest who stays with us. We are so sorry that you were disappointed in your honeymoon visit at the Mauian. Our property is small with a limited staff, and some do not speak English very well and may come across as a bit shy. The buildings—which are a traditional Hawaiian style from the 1950s—do face inwards. Most of our guests enjoy this design, as it promotes a friendly ambiance and allows opportunities to mix and meet other guests, if you wish. However, we don’t promote the Mauian as an ideal honeymoon destination, as the buildings are not designed for a great deal of privacy. We know that our little property is not for everyone. We are pleased that you found other accommodations that suited your personal tastes, and we hope your Maui honeymoon was wonderful and memorable.
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.