“Good bang for your buck when on a budget” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #17 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Edmonton, Canada
“Good bang for your buck when on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed for 10 days at the Maui Eldorado and were very pleased with our unit. The owners left a journal for each guest to write in which had many helpful comments and suggestions. The shower in our particular unit was wonderful with 2 seperate heads; rainfall and removable head. The beach was a 5-10 minute walk and was wonderful and much less busy in comparison to other nearby resorts.

The resort was very quiet but despite having no noise to contend with, we had very poor sleeps. The bed was VERY uncomfortable. Parking was $7/day but they are very upfront about this upon check in. Always spots available during our stay. We didn't have any problem with bugs or cockroaches. In general, I think it has an older demographic of guests. Unfortunately, one day my husband and 2 of our friends were enjoying our lanai at 2:00pm in the afternoon and our very crabby geriatric Neighbor began to yell profanities regarding 'the noise' which was non-existent. Obviously this was just our experience which had little to no effect other than some laugh value. My only other issue is having to pay for an in room safe; we have never paid at any other hotel/condo/ resort in any of our travels.

Staff was curtious and available if needed. Very friendly staff at small convenient store. Manager seemed genuinely interested in how we enjoyed our experience. Overall, a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill R, General Manager at Outrigger Maui Eldorado, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Aloha RelaxedTraveller667:

Thank you for staying with us. It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us (except for the bed). I will be happy to address your concern with the unit's owner.

Some of our owners (and our guests!) are indeed characters; we're glad you didn't take that experience too seriously!

Thank you for posting your review and for your positive comments about my staff. We hope to see you again soon.

492 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I've stayed here several times over the past 17 years or so. This last time I booked thru the front office, not from an individual owner. I think I prefer booking thru an owner so that I know what the condo looks like and where's it's located. This time, we ended up in a unit that felt a bit like a cave G105, I think, tucked under a stairway, with no view of any kind. The staff was very nice. The front desk was aware that I was disappointed with my unit and expressed concern but did nothing to change it, maybe they were full? The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on and the master bedroom was good sized. The condo was a one bedroom but had two bathrooms, which is a huge plus! The kitchen seemed like it was from the 1950s and unfortunately the cupboards weren't even very clean. The bathrooms seemed very old also. I guess I'd be more cautious next time about where my condo was located and as I said, book thru VRBO or something so that I could get accurate details about the condo (the front desk was very short on details, even not knowing how many bathrooms the unit had).

Room Tip: If the front desk can't give you exact details about the room I'd suggest booking thru VRBO
Aloha DayTripper1959_9:

Thank you for staying with us.

I apologize that you were unhappy with your condo. The unit in which you stayed, G105, has new owners who are committed to making changes. New furniture is on order and they have assured me that they are looking to update the unit. If you are unhappy with your accommodations, please let us know and will be happy to show you some alternate condos, based on availability. When you book a unit that is not part of the Outrigger Maui Eldorado, you have no alternatives once you arrrive here should you not like the condo or its location.

Please let me know should you decide to stay with us again next time and I will be happy to personally oversee your unit assignment.

Plano, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed at the EL Dorado recently and must say that overall it was pretty good. If you have families, you cannot beat the locaton, the condo amenities and overall convenience and beauty of the grounds. That being said, there are some things to keep in mind: no wifi, room cleaning every three days, pay to park, and so on. The Eldorado is clear about this up front, so it's not like they are trying to stick it to you. A couple things, however, might not be so clear. For one thing, an ocean view is not always that great, so if you want to be right there watching the waves, this place is probably not for you. Also, as many of the reviews have alluded to , this place is really for families. Loud families. I think one recent review mentioned something like 40 teenagers "enjoying" the place. Translation: with three pools all around you, there is no peace and quiet on this property, no escape from shrieking kids, and, evidently, no contol over how many may occupy a property (in spite of guidelines to the contrary). If you are coming to Maui for a romantic, peaceful, slice of solitude, forget it. If you are coming to let your kids blow off some steam, this is exactly the place for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha jay r:

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay with us.

Though we do have many families here, it is very unusual to hear noise from the pools and, even though the property is very busy now, the grounds are still very tranquil. In fact, most comments about noise here are related to the absence of it! I do apologize that your experience iin this regard was not typical. Next time you are here, please let us know if you are not happy with your condo and we will make every attempt to find a location that is more suitable for you.

We are very strict about the number of guests occupying our units and they are limited to two people in a studio, four in a one bedroom and six in a two bedroom. We do not exceed these limits.

Thank you for staying with us. We do hope to see you again soon.

Orinda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just got back from staying 8 days at the Outrigger Maui Eldorado (the week before Thanksgiving). My family, along with 2 others, stayed here (all of us our first time). We booked through Outrigger instead of the individual owners, mainly because we all wanted to try and get condos close to each other. Turns out that didn't help as we were spread out anyway. To be fair, they did say they would do their best but couldn't guarantee.

Before I break down the pros and cons, I do want to point out what others have said in that each condo is individually owned and furnished. Between the 3 condos we had (2x 2-bedroom and 1x 1-bedroom), they were _vastly_ different from each other. Ironically, I was the one who organized the whole trip and ended up with the most outdated. Our unit was all carpet with tile in the entryway and kitchen while the other 2 were all hard wood (Pergo, probably).

Pros:
- very reasonable prices. We paid $239/night for a 2-bedroom "garden view". Not bad for a ~1800sq/ft place with full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and dining table

- Walking distance to the beach. While you're not right on the beach, it's between a 5-10 minute walk (depending on which building you're in)

- Lots of grassy areas. This was nice for the little ones to run around in while the parents watched from the private lanai

- Helpful staff. The staff was very courteous and checkin/checkout was a breeze. In our 8 days there, they came twice to empty trash, replenish towels, and do a quick sweep.

- Very nice location. This is a general statement about Kaanapali. Absolutely beautiful beaches and only 10 minutes north of Lahaina and 10 minutes south of Kapalua.

Cons:
- 5-10 minute walk to the beach. I know I listed this as a pro however we were very jealous of the people staying at the big restorts who were right on the beach. You get what you pay for though.

- Cabana towels aren't available till 9:30am. Since we came from the west coast, our clocks were off and we were up and at'em ready to go to the beach at 8:00am. We ended up having to use some of our bath towels for the beach.

- Almost all parking is in a garage that's very, very low. Do NOT rent a large SUV if you're going to park here (we learned the hard way)

- Bugs in the kitchen! When we first arrived, there was a pretty big cockroach chilling in the cabinet under the sink. Not a good start. That was the last one we saw however (also, the day we left, the entire complex was being treated by Terminix).

- Sandpaper for toilet paper. Do yourself a favor and pick up some soft stuff at Safeway -- you'll thank me later.

Room Tip: Building J is the closest to the beach, but also furthest from parking.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha Chris K:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us.

All of our units are indeed individually owned and they are all very different from each other. Please let us know if you are not happy with your particular condo and we will do everything we can to find another unit for you.

We appreciate hearing that you found the Outrigger Maui Eldorado to be a good value; our pricing is generally lower than the oceanfront properties so there is a bit of walk to the beach, but we do have our beachfront cabana on the relatively uncrowded North Kaanapali Beach.

Large SUVs will fit on the upper level of the garage and we also have two open parking lots. But, yes, parts of the garage are very low.

Our regular pest control program does take care of most problems. Please let us know if you see something that needs our attention and we will be happy to take care of it for you.

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you all on your next visit to Maui.

North Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I did a lot of research on condos in Maui, and I'm glad that I choose Maui Elderado. The condo we stayed at was close to the pool and was very clean. We had no issues with our room at all. We had a partial view of the ocean which we enjoyed every morning with our coffee.
The pool area was clean and very quiet. The grounds are absolutely beautiful with many different flowers on your way to the pool and ocean.
We had Willie and Jeffery take us to the cabana several times during our stay, they are a couple of great guys who gave us lots of info about the island.
We couldn't have asked for more! The staff were friendly and helpful. Should we ever get a chance again to travel to Maui, we would deffinately stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha northerntravelers_11:

Thank you for staying with us. Your kind words about your visit and our employees are very much appreciated; I've passed along your comments to the bellman supervisor.

Thank you for posting a review of your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed for 7 nights at the Maui Eldorado and had a great time! We wanted somewhere where we could cook our own food and make our own drinks, and the condo was perfect for us. We were in probably the smallest room type but still had tons of space, a comfortable bed, a full kitchen and a nice private balcony where we ate almost every day. The small two-story buildings were definitely preferable to the big box hotels on either side of us. Quick walk down to the beach (which was never over-crowded) and to shops and other beaches. Walkable to Lahaina (though slightly treacherous through the construction) but the bus is also cheap ($2) and fun.
I would highly recommend the Eldorado to couples or families -- great way to save money on food and not feel quite so much like a tourist.

Aloha Andrea U:

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review. It sounds like the Outrigger Maui Eldorado was a good place for your vacation; I was pleased to read that you enjoyed having your own kitchen and that you liked our more residential feeling.

Thank you again for your visit. We hope to see you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I just spent a week here, before departing for 12 days in Waikiki. The idea for this part of the holiday was R&R and after much research on Trip Advisor, chose the Eldorado. The main criteria were a place where we could self cater, proximity to shops and/or transport, as we had no car and of course, cost. The Eldorado was by far the cheapest, especially with our seniors rate.
Our unit, E208, was a studio, but absolutely huge. It was modern in furnishings and decor, and the kitchen and bathroom were lovely. We overlooked the pool, which was a nice outlook.
The pools and cabana were never crowded, and sometimes I had the pool to myself. We were able to walk to Whalers Village, although it was a bit of an uphill climb back. We only used the free shuttle once. We also caught the bus into Lahaina, where grocery shopping is cheaper.
We didn't mind limited housekeeping, especially if it keeps costs down. Any extra toiletries, washing liquid, whatever, was available at the front desk, just for the asking.
We picked up a number of meals from CJs Deli, in the Fairway shops, so we didn't have to cook much. All were delicious. We didn't eat out at all, as we were saving our money for shopping in Honolulu - much cheaper than Australia.
We are very happy with the choice we made in the Eldorado, as it met our needs perfectly. Any staff with whom we had contact were helpful and pleasant, and the lovely lady in the shop even picked up some tomatoes for us one day, and said she'd be happy to get whatever we needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill R, General Manager at Outrigger Maui Eldorado, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Aloha dragonlady2411:

Thank you for posting a review of your stay. It's great to read that our self-catering concept worked well for your visit with us.

Our large units and relatively low density means that, especially during quieter times of the year, the Outrigger Maui Eldorado is great place to relax and be on your own.

We hope to see you again the next time you visit Maui.

Bill Rees

Been to Outrigger Maui Eldorado? Share your experiences!