“First Outrigger experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
FL
“First Outrigger experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed at Outrigger Maui El Dorado after being recommended by friends who had stayed there a few years ago. We had never stayed in a managed condo property before, so didn't know exactly what to expect.
We stayed in Unit J-105. This unit is a one bedroom garden (golf course) view. The kitchen was nicely equipped, which came in handy as we made 2 dinners and some breakfasts/lunches during our stay to save some $$. The unit also had an apartment sized washer and dryer, which we also made use of (must provide your own laundry soap, of course).
The unit is good sized for a family of 3 (including teen age son).
Other advantages - you can "spread out" more than you can in a hotel room.
This unit had a nice view of the golf course - I think some other units may have a more direct view of the ocean. Some may not have a good view of anything, however.
This unit is not near the front of the property, which is on a busy highway (route 30), so this unit was fairly quiet.
Disadvantages - you are not "right on" the beach - it's a short walk (5-10 minutes from this unit). There is a "cabana" down at the beach for Outrigger guests where you can borrow beach towels and beach chairs for the day. Apparently, you need to get there early in the day, because midday we were returning our towels, and hoping to exchange them for fresh towels, and that wasn't possible - they were out of towels for the day.
This unit had a very loud fan in the bathroom, and the shower curtain liner appeared to need cleaning, or needs to be replaced. This unit needs new carpet, at least in the bedroom, if not throughout - the carpet had some stains on it. The A/C in this unit was just adequate; not especially cool. Some of the furnishings appeared dated, as well.
I had read something in the "review and comments" book in the unit stating that someone (sometime back - not currently) had been changed from another unit that they said was unsatisfactory to this unit that they said was a "better" unit. So, if this is one of the better units on property, I would make sure you are really happy with your unit when you check in. I would have said this would be one of the older units...but I guess not.

General comments: You may have to follow up with housekeeping to get your service. We didn't know about that, and assumed our unit would be cleaned about halfway through our stay. It was not. So, on the 4th day of our 5 day stay, I asked housekeeping for fresh towels. By then it was the end of the day, so they said they'd come the next day to clean the unit (including changing the sheets). So, we had fresh sheets for one day, which seemed silly, but it was the principal. Knowing what I know now, I would have called the morning of day 3 to make sure that our room would be cleaned that day.

One day we sent our son up to the activities desk to ask about a snorkeling trip - they didn't seem to have any particular recommendations or discounts for that, and he said they didn't seem to be especially helpful, either.

Also, a pet peeve. We arrived at the resort at about noon or shortly thereafter. We were informed that our room wouldn't be ready until 3 pm, as stated in our reservation confirmation. And, also, that the current guests had not yet checked out (I think the listed check out time is noon, and it was past that time.) While I understand this policy, we basically had a carload of luggage, etc. that we had to drive around with for 3 hours. I checked back around 2:15, and was still told the room wouldn't be ready until 3 pm. Again, I understand. I guess I'm just more used to hotels with extra rooms, where if your "assigned" room isn't ready upon your arrival, sometimes they can put you in a different room, instead, if they have any available.

I think this is a good option if you are trying to save some money on your Hawaiian vacation. It's also a good option if you have kids, and are planning to spend a lot of time at the beach, I think. We never made it to the pools. And, we were using this location as our base for sightseeing around Maui; we didn't spend more than about a day at the beach here. It is also within walking distance of some of the nice hotels on the beach in K'anapaali. For example, I walked down to the Westin resort one day and went to the Heavenly Spa there, which was wonderful!

I don't think this is the best choice if you are on your honeymoon, or if you are celebrating a birthday or special occasion in Hawaii. It's not really "romantic". It's fine for "older" couples, and may be fine for families with kids (although I don't know if there's enough excitement here for families with teenagers...). It would also probably be good for multiple families vacationing together.

Overall, I would describe it as 'adequate' for our needs on this trip.

Room Tip: I think the units in building J, or in the back of the property near J, would be the best, in terms...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bill R, General Manager at Outrigger Maui Eldorado, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Aloha nfall2010:

Thank you for taking the time to post your very comprehensive review of your stay with us. I am happy that you found there are advantages to staying in a condo on your vacation - it is definitely helpful to have your own kitchen and washer/dryer.

All units here are individually owned and, as such, are decorated differently. The unit in which you stayed, J105, has numerous requests every year from return guests. If you are ever not happy with the unit we first provide for you, please let us know so we can see if there is a condo you might like better.

We have addressed your concerns about J105's deficiencies and I have discussed your comments regarding our housekeeping service with that department's manager.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

491 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Bloomfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Maui is beautiful and the Maui Eldorado grounds are no exception. The golf course/ ocean view is exceptional. What a fantastic way to wake up in the mornings (righ tof hole 6). While our room was spacious (C104), it was very dated. Small TVs (and it matters in the evenings when shops close around 10); the walk was further than anticipated (especially in the hot sun), but doable. The smell from the dirty vacuum cleaner drove me crazy. There was no door between bedroom and bathroom so anyone using it during night, woke everyone else up with the overhead light. Parking was an issue. Very limited parking for the amount of units on-site. On another note, the staff was wonderful. We renewed our vows at the cabana and they remembered my name at check-out (without giving it to them first). Would I stay here again. Sure. Would it be my first choice, no. As a small family of three, the bigger room was not necessarily better given the amount of time we spent away from the unit. Overall, it wasn't bad space, it just didn't live up to my expectations or their representation. Yet again, I was there for the beauty of Maui, and the room was functional.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bill R, General Manager at Outrigger Maui Eldorado, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Aloha m g:

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the vow renewal and the property's location.

Each of our condos is individually owned and they are all very different. When you come back to see us, please let us know if you are not happy with your unit; we can always check to see if another condo is available for you.

Thank you for posting your review. Please let me know when you're returning so I may personally see to your accommodations.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Prior to arrival, we had our doubts (but let's be honest, we could be happy in a shack in Maui), it was "far" from the beach, it was not new, it did not have the facilities of the big resorts... In the end, we loved everything about the Maui Eldorado and Unit K212!

The beach is a 5 minute walk, we were as close as the beach as the Four Seasons on Lanai, and was such a non-issue we had to laugh. The cabana on the beach was amazing, but we usually just burrowed ourselves into the warm sand on this beautiful, not overcrowded, kid friendly beach. You are a short walk to many shops and restaurants, and a short drive to many more in Lahaina.

The pool is pretty mediocre, do not book this property if you are a pool person, when I am close to a beautiful beach, I do not even think about a pool. It is fine for a quick dip...

The unit was very spacious, well appointed, and had everything we needed. Was it ultra-luxurious?No. But it was beautiful, peaceful, comfortable and when I think of the value for money, I cannot imagine a better place.

If we ever return to Maui, and we are hoping to next year, this will be the place we stay. We traveled all over the island (our son was at the Maui Ocean Camp - another amazing find), and we saw many places to stay, west and south, and this for us was the best possible location. Thank you!

Room Tip: We loved unit K212.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aloha taram_ca:

Thank you for staying with us at the Outrigger Maui Eldorado. We're happy to read that your initial trepidations were allayed when you got here. Outrigger-managed properties are always a good value, and when you combine our rates, location, unit size, and our relaxing, quiet atmosphere, the Outrigger Maui Eldorado is really the best deal in Kaanapali.

We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Biddeford, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I just returned in May from my 24th trip to the Maui Eldorado. The Eldorado is PERFECT for families, friends, and couples. The beach-front cabana is a major asset that really can't be matched by any other property. I married my husband at sunset at the cabana in 2009. It's away from any other resort (including the buildings of the Eldorado) so there aren't hoards of people constantly moving by, there's a full kitchen (fridge to put your lunch and drinks, cups and ice, full lunch/drinks menu delivered to the cabana, dining tables), full bathrooms, and an attendant station with free towels and beach chairs for guests. You can even hitch a ride to/from the cabana to your room on one of the property's golf carts driven by some super-friendly guys (especially Willie) if you don't feel like walking the 10 minutes down the golf course. The property has amazing views of that side of the island - golf course, resorts, ocean, and Lanai and Molokai in the background. The Whalers Village "mall" is down the hill just a few minutes away too. There are great shops and restaurants there. There is live music at the beach-front restaurants and another great beach with sports lessons/rentals. The free green trolley can pick you up or drop you off at the Eldorado and Whalers Village. Downtown Lahaina is a 5 minute drive down the road from the Eldorado. The rooms are great for an extended vacation. Full kitchens and comfortable living areas make it easier to truly relax. There's no need to go out to dinner for every meal. Safeway is 5 minutes down the road too so you can save lots of money eating in. There are a few sets of grills at the Eldorado that we use most nights. There are three pools - I use all of them at different times for different reasons. The property is clean, beautifully landscaped, and usually full of nice people from all over the world. We brought our 2 year old son this year and he had a blast - the pools, lanai, beach, golf carts, the many wonders of the island, and running around the golf course at dusk kept him in adventurous, happy, busy bliss throughout our vacation. I just can't say enough about the Eldorado. My family and I have made so many beautiful memories there over so many years and it will always hold a very special place in my heart.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Aloha GiddingsFamily:

Thank you for coming all the way from Maine to enjoy a vacation at the Outrigger Maui Eldorado. Our beachfront cabana really is a special place and is an amenity that's not available at any other Maui resort.

Thank you for your taking the time to post your review, your kind words about Willie and also for your photos. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This resort is great. The room we had was large and extremely well equiped. The location is excellant, next to the golf course, a short walk to the beach and cabana, swimming pools and to Whalers Village. We'll be back....

Room Tip: Room B202 has partial seas views and is very close to the BBQ and pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha Louise1811027:

Thank you for staying with us. We're happy that you liked both your condo and our Kaanapali location.

Thank you for posting your review. We'll be glad to see you again on your next trip to Maui.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is an excellent property to spend time on beautiful and relaxing Island of Maui. Fantastic location and very helpful & friendly staff. We were warmly welcomed with some gifts of a small cooler (handy for the beach), tote and since we were celebrating our 30th anniversary, a small bottle of champagne. Reasonably priced on Kaanapali Beach. Gardens are well manicured. We stayed July 18-24, 2012 in Room J211 - Studio with Garden/Golf Course view. Unlike its neighboring hotels, it is not directly on the beach. There is a walkway that you can use (about 5 minutes) to get to the cabana on the beach that the hotel provides. You can also call the front desk to request a transfer via golf cart. This unit is completely remodeled in a contemporary scheme. Very clean unit – tiled throughout. This unit is equipped with full size appliances; refrigerator, range with oven, dishwasher, microwave, stackable washer/dryer; iron & board; all kitchen utensils and cookware (not of good quality – food sticks). One 32" flatscreen/DVD tv with basic cable channels, queen sofa-sleeper, dining table with 4 chairs, 1 six drawer dresser, 2 two drawer nightstands, wicker table with 5 chairs on the balcony and an electric outside grill. One queen size bed – comfortable mattress. Bathroom is large with a large closet (very few hangers) and shelves; shower only no tub. This would have been perfect if it would have a handheld shower but it does not. Plenty of toiletries and towels provided. No radio or dock for iPods, etc. This would have been nice. Cooling system is not your regular refrigerated AC but a something like water cooling system that fills the room with slight humidity – similar to an “evaporative cooling” system. A little uncomfortable for us. You can open the windows by the front door and the sliding doors and a wonderful breeze will come through. No need for all that humidity.
Housekeeping is very limited to once every three days. Our housekeeping day was a little disappointing as the sheets were not changed nor was the floor cleaned. Only towels were changed and the garbage was taken out. We keep a very clean and tidy room, so maybe since the bed was made and the room was neat, housekeeping assumed it was fine just to change the towels. We informed the front desk and a second housekeeping visit was scheduled for the following day. You may request additional housekeeping for a fee. It would be helpful if toilet brushes and kitchen cleaners were available in the room. Only Windex was provided. In-room safe is also available for $1.50per day. Internet is free via ethernet only (cable provided) – no wifi. This unit does have a beautiful ceiling to floor sliding glass door window however it does not have “black-out” blinds. So if you need darkness to sleep, this is not the unit for you. We had to adapt.
Property parking is covered however there is a mandatory charge of $7.00 per day. Due to an incident regarding our room door lock, we were credited this fee. We did not visit the pool area.
If arriving via the OGG airport you will find a Walmart and Costco. It is a 29 mile drive from the airport to the hotel. Near the hotel are two supermarkets, Times Supermarket and Safeway. Walmart has no produce – just basic groceries. Although costs are much higher than the mainland keep in mind that produce is expensive and difficult to find. Hotel also has a “mini-mart” with basic needs in the lobby at a much higher cost. Many restaurants nearby, including a 20 minute walk to Whaler’s Village. Gas price remained the same during our entire stay and every station offered the same price. ($4.19USD gallon - reg). We would certainly return to this property on our next Hawaiian adventure! Mahalo, El Dorado Maui, for such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha ludiandrade:

Thank you for your comprehensive review, your photos and for your kind words about my staff. We are so happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay in J211 and I have forwarded your great review to the unit's owners.

Thank you for your suggestion about adding additional cleaning supplies; we're actually looking at the best way to implement such a program. If you've made your bed, our housekeepers generally do not remake it for you as we know that many of our condo guests prefer a less intrusive level of housekeeping service. I have shared your comments about their performance with my housekeeping staff.

Thank you for staying with us; we hope to see you again soon.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The Maui Eldorado is really a beautiful property for people who want access Kaanapali beach while also having the convenience of a full in-room kitchen.
The Maui Eldorado has a very nice staffed beach "cabana" that includes beach loungers, tables, bathrooms, outdoor showers and a full kitchen for use by guests. The beach has gentle waves and good snorkeling right along Black Rock.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Bill R, General Manager at Outrigger Maui Eldorado, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Aloha Sofia P:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. It sounds as though you really enjoyed your time on Maui; we're happy to have been able to help to make your trip enjoyable.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Maui!

Bill Rees

Been to Outrigger Maui Eldorado? Share your experiences!