“Three days at Ka'anapali Beach Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2525 Kaanapali Parkway, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Evansville, Indiana
“Three days at Ka'anapali Beach Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2005

We were a little disappointed with our experience at Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. The room was small, musty, outdated and the carpet was stained. The staff was hospitable and the food was fair. We felt the Ka'anapali was not a bad place to stay, but it was further from the best too.

• Stayed March 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2005

My husband surprised me by booking a trip for the two of us for a weekend at this hotel. We currently live on Oahu, and were looking for a relaxing and romantic weekend. Boy did we get it!! Because of our evening flight, we weren't able to check in till about 10 pm, but the staff was still great! The hotel is about 45 min. away from the airport, but the drive is lovely. The bed was a bit hard, but if you call the front desk they will have an egg carton pad sent up and that makes a world of difference. Upon check in you will receive two free days of complimentary all you can eat buffet breakfast for two (four coupons). The breakfast is great: fruit, cheese, cold cuts, sausage, baccon, bagles, eggs, pancakes, creps, cereal, oat meal, has browns, basically you name it they have it. It's free and all you can eat! My husband and I then were able to take a shuttle to go shopping. The shuttle only cost $1 per person per ride. Not bad, but you'll have to rent a car to get to the hotel from the airport, so you might as well drive. The hotel provides cabanas on the beach right next to the surf. You can charge your room for a rental for an entire day for only $38 (8 hours) or you can rent the cabana for half a day for only $21. It is well worth it!! It's like lying in bed on the beach with shade that you can move around! The dinner at the Tiki Terrace Restaurant was AWESOME! We only paid $50 and had the best pork chops and new york steak of our lives. There was also live music and dancing and everything is practically outside. It felt very classicly old fashioned. I would definately stay there again!!

• Stayed January 2005
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2005

Just got back Monday from 12 days at KBH. Clean, great location, affordable, all the pros you've probably already read about. Only one major complaint...every night there is a "show" that is loud. Being from the Midwest we wanted to sleep, and this thing kept us up and was more annoying than fun or entertaining to us. Some would love it, and especially if you don't plan to go to bed till after 9:30pm it won't be an issue. But as very active vacationers we were up early (6am is 10am to us) and going, going all day snorkel, bike tour, you name it, and wanted to crash at 8pm (midnight our time) and the "show" was bothersome. I did complain and they moved our room to a wing behind instead of in front of the "show" and the speakers which helped some, but even with slider shut, my fan on hi for white noise we still couldn't sleep overhearing cheesy renditions of "under the boardwalk" with volume set for the elderly. They were as accomodating as they could be, but I wouldn't stay there again, only for the need for sleep and disinterest in the "show". I must say, many appeared to really like the show and would watch it from their balcony etc. So it can be a pro or a con.

Also, one more note, both my wife and I on sep occassions heard poor or misinformation given by the activity desk. For example, one person we overheard while waiting in the lobby one day asked about any trips to neighboring island Lanai. The activity desk said "we only do Maui" and the guest responded, do you know where we could get any information on going over there, response was "nope, we only do Maui." Of course there are several folks offering trips to Lanai, and even if they (KBH activity desk) wanted to avoid recommending a competing activity broker, they could have at least offered the "Expeditions" ferry which makes 4 round trips to Lanai daily and EVERYBODY who lives on Maui knows about that Ferry I can guarentee it.

• Stayed February 2005
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2005

I already did my research and knew what to expect before I got there. It is an older hotel, but the service from the staff was outstanding. The breakfast at the Mixed Plate was fine. It had a good mix from eggs to fish to breads and cereals. It was to appeal to a very diverse group of visitors. It was good, but the food could be hotter. The hostess was as nice as can be. Remembered us every morning. Our room was disappointing at first. I had expected a non-smoking room with a queen size bed. Instead it was smoking with two double beds. Because the room smelled clean and free of smoke, we decided not to complain and just keep the room. The small bed was cozy. Still would have like the queen, but we made do. Our housekeeper was Editha. She kept our room spotless and never bothered us. She was always pleasant in the halls, smiling and wishing us well. The day we left, we caught up with her and left her a tip and a Thank You for keeping our room so nice. Unfortunately, we tend to forget these people who clean up after us and they work so hard. It made us feel good seeing her smile and she was pleased that we recognized her hard work.
I'm glad we didn't complain about the room, because although smoke seeped under the door from the hall a couple of times, we just opened the lanai and it was fine. I also discovered that the glass sliders when closed really blocked out the sound from the garden area. I heard some music at night from all the partiers at our hotel and beyond, but it was not enough to keep me awake.
The staff was great. We loved the cook in the Tiki Restaurant who made the pancakes and omelets. What a comedian. The hula show had personable entertainers. Drinks in the garden area were very good. Valet parking was quick and efficient. Every morning, the groundskeepers worked hard raking leaves, trimming bushes and picking up after the party people from the night before. The garden was always perfectly manicured and lounge chairs back in their places before most people woke up.
We strolled through the other hotels and yes they are more grand, but not worth the extra money to me. I would rather spend the money we save on dinner cruises and helicopter tours, etc.
Probably the very best part of this is the location. The beach was perfect , black rock is a short stroll for snorkelers (I wish I could have done this, but was just getting over surgery), Whalers Village was a 5 minute walk with great shopping and dining. Rusty Harpoon was great. Just from standing on the beach we saw turtles and whales swimming.
Would we come back??? YES. In a heartbeat. I look forward to returning someday.

• Stayed March 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2005

We stayed @ this hotel for 3 nights while in Maui Feb 19th to 22nd. The room was good. Really liked the parking ramps on same level as our room.
Parking was 6 dollars a day and also had to pay for the use of the safe. We had a partial ocean view which was good. Roomy patios. Enjoyed the breakfast's. They were similar to what you would get on a cruise ship. Sunday brunch is good in the restarant in the back-service was a little slow.
It was our first morning there so we were anxious to explore. Maui is absolutley gorgeous. We enjoyed every minute there. Loved the atmosphere and the people. Staff friendly. Would stay there again and again and again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2005

I recently stayed here, Feb. 2005. My room upon check in smelled bad, was very cold and damp feeling. Returning to the front desk I was told they were running at 100% and another room would not be available for a couple of days. I returned to the desk again at which time they moved me to a room that was at least dry feeling. The next day I was moved to another room which was tolerable. I had never stayed at this hotel before so I did not know what to expect, having stayed there once now I would never stay there again. The best thing I encountered was the staff at check in she worked very hard and I am sure she went out of here way to help me during my stay. I commend all of the staff, I just was not impressed with the rooms.

Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2005

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at this hotel in August '04. It was a great choice for us because we didn't need something really fancy. We were happy to have a clean, well maintained hotel to come back to at night. Instead of spending the outrageous rates at the larger hotels down the beach we spent our vacation funds on romantic dinners and excursions. The staff at this hotel were always friendly and willing to help out. As far as the food, we bought the breakfast package and were able to find enough choices at the Mixed Plate restaurant for breakfast all week. That's about the only meal I would advise at that restaurant, though. The hotel has great pool-side food (although a little pricey) and I strongly recc. the terriyaki burger. We tried the more formal restaurant once and had average food and similar service. The pool is nice for families but we weren't over-run by children which was nice for us (we were on our honeymoon after all). And there were many lounge chairs around the pool and the surrounding green space. The beach in front of the hotel is the best for miles and the snorkleing right off the beach (black rock) is outstanding. We made the mistake of paying for the $75/person snorkle trip to Molokini and ended up seeing many more fish and 7 giant sea turtles for free at Black Rock. Over all a very memorable trip, helped in part by this nice hotel. One more thing, believe everyone when they say the best show in Hiawaii (and maybe anywhere) is Warren and Annabelles Magic Show.

• Stayed August 2004

Been to Ka'anapali Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!