“Very much an old-style Hawaiian hotel, as advertised” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$220 Savings on Spcl Pkg
Ranked #20 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Westminster, CO
“Very much an old-style Hawaiian hotel, as advertised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at many places in Maui. Was this the nicest hotel out of all of them? No. It is rather old fashioned; and the decor could use updating. But I'll tell you why I gave it four stars.

First of all, we were celebrating our 20th anniversary; we noted that in our reservation, and also reserved an ocean-front room. We requested as high a floor possible, away from the elevators. When we arrived to check in, the front desk was really nice and helpful, and they told us Happy Anniversary. They immediately gave us exactly the type of room we requested - there was no getting there, finding out we were in a disappointing room, and having to do the room shuffle (this happens all the time at Grand Wailea, which is a super nice hotel - they always stick you in the worst room possible until you complain and ask to be moved). I really appreciated that you could reserve an ocean front room, and actually get an ocean front room... ours literally was probably within 50 feet of the ocean. Our patio chairs looked out directly over the beach, it was right below us. And when we arrived in our room, there was a bottle of champagne with glasses waiting for us - just for our anniversary. We didn't specifically ask for this; they just did it. It was really lovely.

Secondly, this place is VERY quiet and old school. There are literally lawn chairs laying all over the grounds, on the grass lawn. At first I wondered why they were there, but then one day my husband and I plopped down in them to rest a bit - and ended up whiling away an afternoon there, relaxing. There's no rush, no hurry. The ocean is right there. The grounds, while not highly decorated or amazing, are well maintained, green, and relaxing.

You are also within easy walking distance of Black Rock, so we walked over there and snorkeled every day. In the area right in front of the hotel, the ocean is a bit wild, so you have to be really careful of the riptide of you get in at certain locations - it's not like Wailea where you can walk in anywhere and not worry about currents. Here, you do need to be careful. But at Black Rock, the snorkeling, although crowded at times, is pretty good.

The outside bar area had live music every night we were there. The bar drinks and food were not the greatest, for sure, but we really enjoyed sitting down for a bit every night and just hanging out and checking out the bands and music - all playing old-style Hawaiian music, of course.

And although the hotel decor in the public areas can be somewhat dated, I thought the rooms themselves were nicely furnished and clean (at least in the upgraded ocean-front room we had). The beds were really comfortable, and I have a hard time sleeping in many hotel beds - but not this one. And it was very quiet, another thing I appreciated because i am a light sleeper.

So yes, although it's old-school, I did give it 4 out of 5 stars. I would definitely go back there if I wanted a vacation where I could just have down-time and relax. I thought it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Spend extra to get the ocean-front room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

2,396 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Owasso, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great Staff. Great hotel. Clean. Sleeps well. Great Activity desk (Mikala). Great location. Great views. We will stay hear again. This hotel has done a wonderful job integrating and sharing the Hawaiian culture.

Wapakoneta, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The seven nights we stayed were just great, with good service by the entire staff. Very friendly and very responsive.
Having read the reviews posted, I was nervous about going to this hotel. When we arrived, I was so glad that we went to this hotel. It is really under-rated.
I had booked this hotel for a family reunion of sorts, with my adult children joining us. Three rooms, with two of them adjoining on the first floor, and a third room on the top floor closest to the ocean. All three rooms were very well maintained, the cleaning staff were prompt, quiet, and very reliable. And the LOCATION...was absolutely beautiful.
I am not a novice to travel. I have practiced law for 35 years, my son is a family physician, my daughter-in-law is an architect, my daughter is a med student, my youngest daughter is still in high school, and my wife is a retired professor at a major university who traveled extensively worldwide in her work at the university. I have written very few reviews for any establishment, and only when I really felt strongly about it. This place is simply a very, very good place to stay in one of the most beautiful locations anywhere.
I rented a cabana for the week, so the kids had a place to hang out on the beach with some shade if they wanted, and the staff at the Trilogy beach shop helped take care of them there. We rented snorkel gear, and the kids (ages 32 through 16) took paddle-board lessons on surf boards, all located within 40 feet of the hotel. Towels at the beach...all we needed. Boogie boards. Cabana set up for them each day.
We were only a short drive from Honolua Bay and Kapalua Bay (both worth seeing) and the Ka'anapali Beach is gorgeous. (Beware of tides at all of the beaches, depending upon conditions. The hotel warned us of tides with appropriate signs and warning phone calls during the few hours the surf kicked up. Yes, riptides are real.)
The restaurant was very good for breakfast. The show every night was very similar and typical Hawaiian entertainment. We did not do the magic show, but many did and gave it good remarks. (We spent our time getting together at various restaurants within walking distance and did not do shows at any of the hotels.)
Why are you going to Maui? If you are going to relax, enjoy clean rooms at night, a nice pool for times when the ocean is not friendly or when you want freshwater rather than saltwater, a friendly staff, good connections with local fun things to do (we did horseback riding, but there were several options for ziplines, air excursions, etc.), and if you want an absolutely gorgeous beach really close to your room with all the beach amenities one would would ever want or need, this really is the place.
It does not have a business center, but only two computers off of the lobby. In-room connectivity was available. (I was going to Maui for vacation, and did not bring my work computer on purpose, so I did not connect. My son's electronic devices to keep up with his medical practice requirements worked fine from what I could tell.)
It does not have a physical fitness center, machines, etc. (With the beach right there, and with hiking in Haleakala National Park on the island, I did not want to spend time in a room with mirrors or windows. I did the road to Hana, plenty of hiking available, plenty of natural pools to swim in, plenty of places to ride bicycles (although be careful of the automobile drivers when on a bike going down Haleakala).
Is this place as "plush" as some other resorts? Not really. I checked out some of the other resorts while we were walking and driving around the area. The Ritz, some of the other chain hotels, have more interesting architecture and more plush lobbies with built-in shopping areas with expensive shops.
But this place only requires walking a 5-minute stroll down a beautiful beachfront walkway to the Whalers shopping area with nice restaurants and expensive shops.
And it is close enough to everything on West Maui to enjoy it all. We did the Old Lahaina Luau that was a really good show, good food, open bar, great last night together with the family.
We also really enjoyed the local craftspeople and artists that rotated throughout the week each morning in the lobby and in the garden, featuring authentic, locally produced art and carvings and as we learned at competitive prices. It just added to the Hawaiian feel and touch.

Room Tip: We were in the wind on the south side, closest to the ocean, and had really nice rooms. Our son'...
Park City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here in June 2013. The first room they gave us was in the Molokia wing. I was shocked at the condition and size of the room. The Molokia wing is similar to a roadside motel that rents rooms by the month in Las Vegas. I was ready to leave the property and stay somewhere else. It was absolutely horrible. Scum and dirt build up in every corner, stained carpet I would not even let me kids enter the room. They moved us the the other side of the hotel it was only slightly nicer still not clean enough for my standards. We watched several other people walk with their luggage to the Molikia wing only to storm back to the front desk. The pool is a small whale, the Tiki Bar food was just a notch above McDonald. The breakfast buffet was horrible even if it was free I would never eat the breakfast buffet again. The plus side of this hotel was the location. They should not be allowed to call themselves a hotel this is a motel in an amazing location.

Room Tip: Do not allow yourself to be booked in the Molokia wing.
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here August 2012 - the location is superb, with the beach at your door step - it's about a 1 minute walk to the beautiful Kaanapali Beach, and 5mins to Whalers Village.

Sadly the hotel is run down, in need of an upgrade, there's no wifi in the rooms, and the breakfast was pretty dismal.

Staff were variable (check in ok, bar staff nice) but not overly helpful.

So it's a great place to stay if you can't afford to pay a bit more for its neighboring hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I travel with my 17 year old and 21 year old. Our needs are simple. We need a clean place to use as our base camp. I loved this hotel because it gave us so much more. We had a great room with three beds! Yes, we each had our own bed. Two full size beds and a day bed. I was so happy with this arrangement. We were on the first floor which gave us direct access to the expansive lawns and an easy walk to the beach. Loved the location. We took a lei making class together and enjoyed this relaxing Hawaiian activity.We rented a cabana to lounge around the beach and I feel that we got our money's worth on those days. We snorkeled right off of Black Rock which is super close to the hotel. There was an amazing abundance of colorful fish right there. We ate at the Tiki Grill twice. I loved the pineapple burger. It was delicious. The pizza was pretty good too. My daughter enjoyed a teriyaki chicken burger. We loved the good-bye ceremony and will definitely come back. They really go out of their way to make you feel at home and I really felt comfortable. I say, if you want to relax and don't want to put all of your money into where you lay your head, you can't ask for a more delightful budget friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a pool view on the ground floor. Avoid wasting time in an elevator. Walk out to the oce...
san diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We did the My Time option. The staff was warm and friendly. We were upgraded to a garden view - very nice. The room had a musty smell - but after an hour or two you could not tell. The furnshings are dated but comfy. We slept well on the beds. If needed there was a day bed also in the room and could easily have slept 3 adults. Fee for the safe and fee for parking this is what caused me to rate it a 3 start versus a 4 star. The location was convienent to all. The food at the Tiki Grill was great as was the buffet breakfast included in our stay. The Island entertainment was a great way to transition from day to evening. The band and dancers did not have the glitz of a produced show and that was perfect. They provided background on the origins of the music and dance, The Tiki bar was okay - the drinks were a bit strong for me - I am more about flavor than alcohol content. I enjoyed a 1+ mile walk every morning along the Beach route. I would recommend it for singles, couples and adults - not really for familes as they have only a small frig and no where to cook a meal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ka'anapali Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!