“Wonderful Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 28 hotels in Lahaina
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Wonderful Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The Ka'anapali has everything you need to have a "home away from home." The grounds are beautiful and the hotel staff are extremely friendly and helpful. It is a clean hotel with a great restaurant. We will be staying here on our next trip to Maui.

2,290 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
Pacific Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had the delicious opportunity of having a Mother's day champaign Brunch in the Tiki Terrace of this grand and beautiful Hawaiian hotel. The terrace specializes in serving regional cuisine with lots of seafood as well as the biggest assortment of pork, beef, lamb and chicken entrees I have ever seen. Add to this all the breakfast choices you could imagine and you will know why this place is packed every Sunday. We were lucky to get a reservation and happy we did. From what I was told this definitely is the restaurant where the locals go and have been going for decades.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay on Maui. We stayed for a week in April and loved it.
I did not experience any of the negatives mentioned in some other reviews. Our room was clean and comfortable. The balcony or lanai was large and accommodating and that's where I'd enjoy my morning coffee, looking out over the lush courtyard area and listening to the many different songs of tropical birds. The pool is fine - not a fancy one with lots of waterfalls -- but clean and refreshing with an excellent shallower end for young children. I booked a rate with the breakfast buffet and there was plenty to eat -- from an array of fresh, tropical fruits to traditional eggs and breakfast meats, cereal, pancakes, even rice (I love rice!) and an assortment of mini pastries allowing you to sample more than one. I have stayed at fancier places but that wasn't what this trip was about. I wanted a comfortable, clean accommodation without paying a fortune and I was very happy with my stay here. An added bonus was the fact a Slack-Key guitar festival was held at the hotel during our stay and we enjoyed several fun, free concerts right on the hotel property, at an outdoor performance area.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the 4th floor and enjoyed the partial ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks (May 1 thru 15, 2013) this was our fifth visit, and counting the days until next visit. We were in the Kaui Wing 4 th floor,pool view, the staff is excellent, can't do enough for you. Whoever doesn't like the feel and atmosphere of this wonderful establishment doesn't know the meaning of "Ohana" which you are from the beginning until the end of your stay. It is truly the most Hawaiian of Hotels. Tiki Terrace Dining room is excellent the Sunday Brunch can't be beat. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Will certainly be returning.
Much Aloha to Mike White and entire staff. Mary & Ed Greiman, York, Pa.
We have also stayed at 5 star hotels and KBH ranks right up there.

Room Tip: Pool side in Kaui, or Maui wings.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Ok. Maybe I'm a snob. Maybe I"m just more discriminating than others. Why is this place rated so highly? It's Motel 6 on the beach! A Dump! With a capital D! Admittedly, I usually stay in 5 star hotels but this was supposed to be a 2-night "place to crash." Well, I nearly cried when I arrived. The musty-smelling lobby, dated look when you pull up. It's not a facade!! The rooms are even worse. From mold growing in the shower, cheap plastic shower caddy hanging in a tiny dated nasty shower, scuffed cheap wood furnishings, wall paper peeling off the walls, popcorn ceilings, tiny tube tv...need I say more? If this is acceptable to you....have a great vacation! The guests seems to be content....then again, take a close look at the guests. Sorry. Don't mean to sound crass, but this is definitely a Walmart-type resort. Karaoke at night, free breakfast (herd the cattle) and a pathetic pool with sand in the bottom and mismatched lounges. Beautiful grounds, spectacular location. Sad, pathetic building. This is NOT the Hyatt, Westin or anything close. Just want you to be prepared. Wish I was!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Ka'anapali Beach Hotel is a relic from a by gone era that has seen better days and now resides in a the shadow of tortured slow death. It's lobby is musty and adored with outdated items. The rooms are dark and depressing. One can see the cracks forming in the walls and various parts of the campus are in need of serious repair. I remember that in the elevators they have simply nailed a rug to the walls to cover them up from whatever nastiness lies behind it.

To leave the "resort" and go to its neighbors is like going from night to day. Granted the location is not bad - but I wouldn't stay here again unless I was strapped for cash - in which case I wouldn't be going to maui.

DO YOU RESEARCH PEOPLE AND FIND A BETTER HOTEL FOR A FEW BUCKS MORE A NIGHT - You will thank yourself.

Check out my blog for details :
silandco.blogspot.com

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brookline, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This hotel has a wonderful location, but I wouldn't choose to return. Some people don't care where they stay, but for me and my family, the accommodations truly do play a role in the vacation experience.
The room was dark, which doesn't feel very Hawaiian IMO. It was also stuffy/smelly when the ceiling fan was off and the sliders were closed (as we left it whenever we went out). The worst was that the smoking levels in our wing were the 1st and 6th floors so smoke frequently blew into our room on the 2nd floor. I'm not sure what the logic is in having smoking rooms below non-smoking when smoke rises! It was nasty and reason enough never to return.
The beach was nice, but has a significant drop off that was nerve wracking with my 2 year old running around. The hotel pool was very boring compared to nearby properties.
I would advise skipping the free welcome breakfast buffet. It was held in another dark, depressing space and the food was truly gross.
I've traveled to Maui 4 times from the East coast. My favorite accommodation to date is a condo where we've stayed twice. It was such a better deal, light and airy and feels much more homey than this place. We booked last minute, which is why we stayed at the KBH. The condos were all booked.

Room Tip: Just don't bother staying here. Best tip I can give.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ka'anapali Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!