“What it is…and isn’t” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“What it is…and isn’t”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We just spent 8 nights at Kaanapali Beach Hotel and will return in the future. The location is ideal, between Whalers Village shops /restaurants and Black Rock for snorkeling, all connected by an oceanfront walkway. The beach here is beautiful and wide. The grounds are large, including spectacular, mature tropical gardens, numerous shady gazebos and lots of moveable chaise lounges. The pool is reasonably sized and was never crowded. There is Hawaiian music (not too loud) from the 3 hour nightly free shows. All in all, it has a very pleasing aesthetic. The employees are very friendly and helpful. Self-parking is convenient and just $9/day.
This is not a luxury resort. I’m guessing it was built in the 60’s but is extremely clean and well maintained. The rooms are just adequate but the views are delightful. The breakfast buffet is tasty but certainly not a lavish tropical spread. The poolside Tiki Bar makes a good drink and sandwiches/snacks from the Tiki Grill are okay. One caveat- smoking is allowed on the lanai of 4th and 6th floor rooms in the Kauai and Lanai buildings

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I returned here for our 25th anniversary trip. We had also stayed here for our 20th anniversary. The hotel is clean and has a great location. Snorkeling at Black Rock is great. We have always seen fish and sea turtles. The hotel is dated but still has some charm and a great and friendly staff. We went up the board walk and ate dinner most nights as the food at the hotel is average so if you want a great dinner experience go up the boardwalk! Loved the Hula grill and the Tropica. We did enjoy the nightly entertaiment and we were in room 541 and could partially see the stage area and could here the music! Over all we will go back there for our third time.

Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed here late November/early December 2012. We chose the hotel due to its location on the beach, and we were not disappointed in that. The rooms are dated, which would make me hesitate to book again. We were in the Molokai wing of the hotel. Not terrible, but I would try to find something nicer perhaps. We did have a problem with the lock on our door, and we were locked out of the room for most of our last full day on the island. We were ultimately moved to a different floor, and a credit applied to our account for our trouble. We appreciated the effort to make things right. The guys at the valet station out front were very nice, offering us some ideas of things to do during the day. Breakfast here is way over priced (we compared hotel packages including breakfast vs. not including breakfast, and opted not to). We saved a lot of money by buying drinks at the ABC store (wine, liquor, water, etc).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I would have liked to stay in to prime you can see its age before your eyes . We stayed in 463 or something close on the 4th floor and it was riddled with theses ants . Mini ants were everywhere I set my bag down on the Spare bed the bag had a deal of coconut candy sealed and the ants like built a nest in and around the bag then it was kinda gross we talked to some others and asked it they had a bug problem and they said no , so Mabey it was the wing we were or the floor we were on but it was wild. The snorkeling it amazing here black rock daily please multiple sea turtles daily and if your brave enought you can grab some algae off the rocks and hand feed them way cool! please don't touch them they are protected and show them respect but they have gotten so lazy from people feeding them they wait around the shore sometimes waiting for some algae because it is kinds tough for them get ! IDE go bad and but I would have to make sure the ants were gone first.

Stayed November 2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have now stayed here four years in a row - twice in October and once each in June and July and we just love it here.The location can't be beat. A block along the boardwalk to Whaler's village which has Leilanis for excellent fish tacos - go there and eat while the sun is setting - just gorgeous! Also visit the free whaling museum while you are at Whaler's village - air conditioned and very interesting. A block the other way is black rock where you snorkel with the sea turtles and lots of fish. You can either drive to Lahaina in 10 minutes or take a bus. There is a parking lot right across from the plantation restaurant that is $3.00 for the day - cheapest we found. Lots of art galleries, shops and restaurants. The hotel has a free show each night for about 3 hours which includes hula and singing. The whale shaped pool is small but never crowded. What we love the best are the beautiful grounds and the fact that there is an abundance of lounge chairs that you can put anywhere on the grounds, sun or shade and just spend hours relaxing! The staff are so friendly and willing to help and our rooms have always been clean and depending which room you get (we like 480) you get a view of the ocean, the grounds and black rock. This is not high end like the Sheraton but for the price (we paid $188 per night including breakfast for 2) it is great value for being right on Kaanapali beach.

Room Tip: make sure that you get a room that is facing the pool and not a room that is facing the whaler hotel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel 35 years ago when my sister and I went island hopping. It was a great location then with a great beach and easy walk along the roadway to The Whaler's Village. Today it's still a great hotel and gives you a unique Hawaiian feel but the room was dated and pretty musty smelling on first entering. Now there is a beachwalk to The Whaler's Village along the same great beach. We had a room overlooking the garden and with the added bonus if an ocean view but couldn't really enjoy it because it was in a smoking floor where smoking was allowed on the balconies and the cigarette smoke wafted over from the balcony next to us. The lei making class was fun and the plumeria trees in the garden courtyard dropped plenty of blossoms ensuring that you could have a fresh-looking one for your hair all day long by just picking one up off the lawn. Would we stay here again? You bet!

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel was our second stop on our honeymoon. We stayed for 6 nights from 3rd November after 6 nights in Waikiki on Oahu. We thought (wrongly) that this was in Lahaina centre, but it isn’t. It’s a good 15 minute drive from there. This particular stretch of Kanaapali is just beach really, apart from the tiny Whalers Village 2 minutes walk from this hotel. So please be prepared for absolutely nothing to do. If that’s what you what, then this place could well be perfect, but I can only speak from our own experience.
I will start with the positives. The hotel is in the most beautiful grounds I have seen. Lots of trees, flowers and singing birds around which is unusual so close to the ocean in my experience. It is right on the ocean front as well giving amazing views if you are lucky enough to get a beach front room. The walk to Whalers Village is also along the beach walk which is very nice. The staff at the hotel are mostly helpful from reception onwards. We were asked each day in the morning what time we would prefer our room to be cleaned that day. There are a few things to do within the hotel complex. I enjoyed the pineapple cutting demonstration and nightly hula show. There are also markets in reception some mornings, guided tours of the hotel’s gardens, and scuba lessons in the pool. Breakfast is really good and it was nice to be still able to get breakfast at nearly 11am some mornings. I personally feel that having to tip $6 is a bit much when you are serving yourself and the waiting staff do nothing more than bring you a glass of water, but I suppose this is the nature of things and it was not enough to put us off going for breakfast whenever we could, despite having to swat birds off our table every minute. The staff at the tiki bar by the pool make a great cocktail, and service in the evenings was quick and polite. Add to all this the fact that there is no resort fee and it makes for a very nice place to stay
Now the negatives, from an entirely personal point of view of course. You can’t stay out past 10pm. There seems to be a village-wide curfew, it’s not just this hotel. We couldn’t get food, a drink or an open shop after 10, even at a weekend. We figured this out pretty quickly though and just started our evenings much earlier and got up earlier every day, but if you are a determined night owl, you will find yourself at a loose end in the evenings. You get it rammed down your throat a bit that you are in ‘Hawaii’s Most Hawaiian Hotel’ at the Kanaapali Beach Resort, it is written on everything. I don’t know why it was the most Hawaiian myself, apart from a tiki bar and hula show I didn’t see it myself. Another small irritation with the breakfast aside from the tipping issue, is that one morning my husband chose to sleep in late so I went for breakfast on my own. When I was greeted and said ‘table for 1 please’ I was asked if I would prefer to wait for my husband. When I was seated, the waiter did not serve me my drink for about ten minutes as he said afterwards he ‘assumed I was waiting for my husband’. Seems a bit sexist to me; why should I not eat breakfast on my own? I found this a bit embarrassing and didn’t do it again.
The room we had was Ocean facing and had an amazing view from the large lanai. The room itself seemed a bit small and very old fashioned. We were a bit fascinated as to why there would be a fleece blanket and padded bedspread rather than sheets when the nights were very warm, but I realised after a while that the clientele in this hotel are somewhat older than us and maybe that is what they are catering to?
We also found the line at reception to be up to 15 minutes on 2 occasions. Maybe the laid back attitude goes a bit far at times! When you do get seen though, the staff are very helpful
If you want to literally do nothing, and go to bed very early, this place is absolutely ideal. If you want to see a bit more life, I hear the East side of the island is the place to be...

Room Tip: Has to be Ocean Front. High up if possible (although only 6 floors high!)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple