“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine On Sale
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

This was our third time staying at the Hyatt and as before it was wonderful. The staff is friendly and helpful. Food was very good. We had the breakfast buffet and also ate dinner a few nights at the new outdoor eatery. Enjoyed the Sushi,salads and live music.Rooms may be dated but are clean and the beds are very good. Housekeeping did an excellent job. Pool was warm and there were always plenty of chairs. All of the beach towels were replaced when we were there. You needed a card to exchange for a towel and this seemed to save on the laundry which is great !!
Rented a cabana one day and enjoyed the shade and the ocean view ,,even had a large sea turtle swimming right off the beach.
Location is great for walking up the beach or driving to Lahaina.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Customer Service Representative at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Dear Yellow Bee:

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I’m glad you were able to enjoy the different live music, and swimming pools. It sounds as though the employees were welcoming and nice. Thank you for your loyalty to Hyatt. It is very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Nick B. – Customer Service Representative

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

The Hyatt Maui is a beautiful place to stay. We were able to see the Hotel set up for the Christmas Holiday. The grounds are stunning. The Bar/pool area need some more help. We had to wait 15 to 20 minutes each time we sat down at happy hour to get a waitress to even come to our table. If you were sitting at the bar, there was never a shortage of help.

We were promised a great slide that went into the pool. NO, it was closed due to problems. Talking to some of the hotel guest, it had been closed for a while. Maybe we should have been told that when we checked in. Construction work woke my up one morning, with the drilling and hammering going on. We got up one day early and I tried to lay down for a nap and again the drilling was so loud, it was impossible. Again, someone could have told us there was construction going on in the hotel. One day we received notice that the water would be turned off for a few hours. However, the day before I was washing my hair in the shower and the water shut off for about 30 seconds then came back on for about 30 seconds and went off again. Again, a little notice would have been helpful.

Lyndell, (Bell Clerk) went out of her way to make sure we my family was well taken care of. Her customer service went well beyond her duties. She made the hotel stay a memorable one.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Customer Service Representative at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Dear 50thbirthday4:

Glad to hear you enjoyed your birthday celebration at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I will make sure to let the manager know of the great service provided by Lyndell, who assisted your family during your visit. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Overall, my husband & I were very impressed & pleased with our recent stay at the Hyatt. Every single staff person we spoke to was extremely friendly & helpful. We had a partial oceanview room, and spent hours on our balcony having drinks, talking, reading & relaxing. The luau was a fantastic experience with great entertainment and great food - I'm a vegetarian, and there were a decent number of non-meat options, and my meat-eating husband loved the seafood, shoyu chicken and kalua pig. I would recommend getting the VIP tickets to the luau, as you get to sit up-front near the stage & get to eat first!

The grounds and pool were beautiful & immaculate, and the room was very nice & comfortable (though the air conditioning could get loud once it hit to 70 degrees or lower, not a big deal...we just kept the room temp at 71 degrees!), the on-premises restaurant Umalu served great food in a casual environment near the ocean. I got a veggie burger & onion rings, and my husband scarfed down his fish tacos! They also have a gym open 24 hrs and a choice of valet or free self-parking.

The concierge staff were also very helpful in booking activities for us (kite-surfing, whale-watching & a sunrise bike ride down Haleakala) and recommending delicious nearby restaurants that were off-premises. We also took advantage of & highly enjoyed the progressive martini happy hour! Our visit went very smoothly, from check-in to check-out.

The only suggestions I would have are for the concierge when booking kite-surfing lessons. We only had one day to do this, at a cost of $300. When we got to the company that gave the lessons, we discovered that at least 3 lessons are needed before you can even get on the board, and we didn't have the extra days to take multiple lessons, so it would have saved us time & money had we known this. I don't fault the concierge, as I don't think he knew, but something to be aware of in the future.

Also, there are a number of penguins in a little pond near the lobby. While I fully recognize that many guests probably loved seeing the penguins, as an animal lover, it made me sad that they were confined to a little space, when their natural setting would be the open ocean. I hope that management considers releasing them to their natural environment in the near future.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your experience. I am ecstatic you enjoyed your time with us and that you got to experience some of the great activities our hotel and Maui have to offer. We hope to welcome you back to Hyatt soon!

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate
Kennewick, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

My husband and I just returned home from a wonderful stay at the Hyatt. The employees are warm and friendly. We arrived late at night and were extremely tired. It was so nice to drive up the entrance with the lighted palm trees and get so warmly greeted from the valet, front desk person (Janice - super) to the bellman who showed us to our room. Our first morning we were excited to see the beautiful view from our ocean front room. The breakfast buffet had a large variety of good food. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool. We loved the wide life - penguins, parrots, macaws, flamingos, swans, etc. The grounds were so well cared for. It was just a joy to wander the property. We will be back ASAP to this lovely resort.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a wonderful review of our hotel. I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to welcome you back to Maui soon!

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa the week of November 20-27, 2010. We booked our honeymoon trip in the spring after careful research, and had a long wait ahead of us for this trip! Over the months, I continued to read reviews about the Hyatt and became concerned that we had selected the wrong resort. The negative reviews really had me worried! After 16 hours of travel to get to Maui, we got in our rental car and headed toward the Hyatt. It was close to 11 pm and we were exhausted. We were greeted warmly with shell leis and a souvenir Hawaii photo album for our honeymoon. A bellman guided us to our room and pointed out important stops along the way. We were in a regency club room, which meant we had the top floor of the main tower. I had booked a partial ocean view. Our view was incredible! Both the ocean and the mountains were right in front of us. The room was plenty big for the two of us, and the bathroom had separate areas for the vanity and toilet/shower. I'm not sure what more those complaining about the bathroom could've wanted! Make sure you book your trip with breakfast included, if not it will cost you quite a bit. We ate at both Umalu and Sonz at Swan Court. Both were incredible. My husband liked Umalu because they had "to-go" containers for your coffee. I liked Swan Court because of the omelet station and wider variety of the buffet. You can't go wrong with either. They were great. Being that we live on eastern time, and Hawaii was five hours behind what we were used to, we were always up early! We went to breakfast every day by 7 and never had to wait for a table. We reserved pool chairs after breakfast and always got a spot wherever we wanted. The poolside drinks at Umalu are delicious, try the spiked pink lemonade! They were a bit expensive at $11, but I expected things to be more expensive, we were in Hawaii, after all. We did have the regency club plan, so I thought the regency room had free drinks, but it did not. Just reduced price drinks. But, the appetizers and dessert in the club were great. We didn't take advantage of it enough because we were always hungry for dinner so early! We ate dinner out at different restaurants every night so we could enjoy the Maui experience, and coming back, we NEVER had a problem finding a parking spot. We had friends staying at the Westin who visited our hotel for a banquet, and she raved to me about how nice our hotel was with the open air lobby and all of the decor. We were so happy with our stay at the Hyatt, and I am sad that I wasted any of my time worrying about what our experience would be like. Please rest assured that if you've booked the Hyatt, you will have a great stay. Don 't let the negative reviewers make you second guess your reservations!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Customer Service Representative at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Dear RebDeSi:

Wow! It sounds as though you had an incredible time on your recent visit to the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I’m glad you were able to enjoy your time with us. It is good to hear the employees were awaiting your check in after your long journey. Hyatt also takes pride in employing world renowned chefs, as it sounds as though you really enjoyed the meals served. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We had a great stay at the Hyatt Regency for six days this November. Everything from the check-in process to housekeeping was handled very well and we were always made to feel very welcome. The location of the hotel is very good -- an easy walk to Whalers' Village and several other resorts in the area as well as to nice beaches right near the hotel. The rooms were nice, but a bit small. The bathroom (toilet and shower/tub combo) was very small, but fortunately we were staying under the family plan and had two adjoining rooms, which made it easier for the four of us to get ready. The biggest issue was the lack of sound proofing in the rooms. We could frequently hear people in the hall or upstairs, but the most difficult time was the evening the hotel had an outdoor party for the Maui Invitational basketball tournament. The music kept the kids up until after 10 pm. The grounds are very nice and the pool, waterfalls, bars and restaurants are all great. The waterslide was closed the entire time we were there (just before Thanksgiving) and so the kids were disappointed, but other than that they enjoyed the place. All the meals we had at the hotel were very good, but for breakfast both restaurants only offer a very expensive buffet. One restaurant is supposed to offer an a la carte breakfast but when we asked about it we were told to just get the buffet because it was cheaper. Overall it was a good stay and consistent with the last two times we stayed at this hotel. Next time we are in Maui I have a feeling we'll be back...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Customer Service Representative at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear Onthegofam4:

Thank you for your review in regards to your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I’m glad there was ample space with the two connecting rooms you were able to have for your family. Thank you for spending your holiday with us. We look forward to hosting you and your family in the future!

akatravel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We got an incredible deal through Costco, and couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. The restaurants served delicious food; the included buffet breakfast at Swan Court was extremely high quality, and the ambience of the pond and waterfall couldn't be beat. The pool area was huge with unobstructed sun -- although the hotel was filled with people, I never had a problem finding two lounge chairs side by side. We had a wonderful couples massage at Spa Moana; the relaxation lounge was the perfect way to unwind post-treatment. The guest room was spacious, very clean, and the view from our oceanfront balcony was a magnificent sight to wake up to every morning. As other reviewers have pointed out, the self-parking lots were often full at night (never had a problem during the day), but this was due to a large number of guests who rudely parked their cars across two spaces -- why was it so difficult for people to park between the white lines? Even when the lot was full, though, the Hyatt would gladly comp us for valet with a smile. The concierge was friendly and extremely helpful -- helping us plan all our activites for the week and printing out our boarding passes before we flew out. There isn't a thing I would change about this trip, and I'd definitely stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui again!

Dear akatravel:

Thank you for your comments in regards to the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. It sounds as though you had a great time at the hotel! I’m glad the employees were able to assist you in making sure your stay was a memorable one! Hyatt takes pride making sure guests are treated with respect. We look forward to having you stay in the future!

Nick B. – Customer Service Representative

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!