“Lifetime best experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine On Sale
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Lifetime best experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2004

Tomorrow is the last day of our stay at the Hyatt. My husband, daughter and I arrived on July 2 and have had a truly outstanding experience. No regrets, except leaving!
Before choosing the Hyatt, I spent many weeks reading hotel reviews on trip advisor and comparing endless details between the properties of Wailea and Kaanapali. Ultimately, I was impressed by the Hyatt's many five star reviews and the description of the pool, wildlife, breakfast buffet and gracious staff.
We have not been disappointed, in fact everything has exceeded our expectations. The pool is wonderful and staff were always willing to find us a set of three loungers, even if they had to search the whole pool area. Every afternoon there is live music poolside for several hours and it creates a relaxing atmosphere. The pool slide is a blast and poolside drink and food service is great.
The breakfast buffet was unbelievable! We had the sunshine special that includes a free breakfast for two in either the Swan Court or poolside at Pavilions. Hands down the Swan Court buffet is best and you won't be disappointed as you choose from fresh papaya, pinapple, pastries, bread pudding with vanilla sauce, sausage, bacon, ham, pancakes, waffles, made to order omelettes and other choices too numerous to mention. Plus, the most attentive and personable staff, who keep the coffee cups full and remove used plates quickley. The restaurant is open air and little sparrows can be annoying at times but I wasn't that bothered by them. They beg and swoop in for crumbs in large numbers. Beware if you are have a bird phobia.
If you don't, then you will enjoy the many black and white swans (very grand), the flamingos, the two African Crowned Cranes and many parrots. Christopher is a 32 year old blue Hyacinth parrot and is actually a girl not a boy. The keepers call her Chris despite the name on her sign. She is reportedly the sweetest and gentlest parrot on site
and was not discovered to be a girl until she was about 4 years old.
There are also 3 penguins although one was molting her feathers and would not leave her hut...a small shelter beside their pool. The penquins do not look sad, as someone else reported. They are very happy and well cared for.
Not all penquins live in cold climates year round and these in particular do not.
There are close to 200 koi (according to the keepers) and everyone delighted in the daily feeding which was open to kids and adults to participate. The keepers bring out 6 lbs. of koi pellet food at 9:30 each morning and let all who want to participate. The kids go crazy and love this. The koi are quite large (at least 10lbs) and some are over 40 years old!
The shopping at the Hyatt is suprisingly good although expensive as reported. But, when we shopped in Lahaina and also Whaler's Village the prices were not any better. I bought a necklace at the shops in the Hyatt that I had seen elsewhere for more money. So it pays to look and compare. It's very pleasant to walk the sidewalk along the beachfront to Whaler's Village. It's a 15 minute walk and you can enjoy the sights and sounds of the ocean the whole way. Whaler's Village has several good restaurants...we tried Hula's and enjoyed it at sunset.
The side walk ends at the Sheraton which has a very good swimming beach and is a beautiful property...worth seeing.
We had a partial ocean view and our room was very comfortable and the beds were great. I wondered how they would compare to the Westin's reportedly "heavenly beds"....well, I would say these are perfectly heavenly too.
Do I have any negative comments? Yes, the parking is so slim and the spaces are so small that my daughter and I would have to get out first and then let my husband park the car. Slighly annoying. But, we were able to always park the car without using the valet services. Also, the children's section of the pool has a coarse sandy beach (?) area with lounge chairs on it. The sand was tracked into the nearby hot tub and other adjacent areas. It was not great to sit in the hot tub on a bunch of gritty sand.
And we heard some pretty lukewarm comments about the Luau, so we passed on that and instead took a snorkel cruise to Molokini Crater. This was good but be prepared for crowds of about 20 boats to be anchored in the area with snorkelers. It might be better to rent your own snorkel equipment and get a free map that shows the local snorkel beaches, like Honolua bay near Kapalua or black rock at the Sheraton. Although, the boat ride to Molokini was well worth the cost of it and our captain stopped mid route, to let us view 3 sea turtles that were swimming at the surface. Everyone on board went nuts and rushed to the front of the boat to look. The morning snorkel sailings are usually calmer, something to consider as the ride can be quite rough (it takes a full hour to reach Molokini) and ruin your experience with sea sickness.
On day, 5, we also tried parasailing and that was unbelievable. I always said that I wouldn't parasail...ever...but from the Hyatt you can watch people parasailing all day long and it looks so cool. I went up tandem with my daughter and had the best experience. No fear at all.
And tonight we tried the restaurant SPATS at the Hyatt. This is a neat place that is below the lobby level and is so intimate and cozy. I was transported by the unique decor and great service. My daughter only wanted to stop in for cheesecake but I couldn't resist ordering the spaghettini with bolonese sauce and she agreed to share it with me. When the check came, our server did not charge us the $5 shared plate cost that was listed on the menu...a pleasant suprise...and the food was excellent. We also ate at the Hyatt's Cascade restaurant one night and I could go on endlessly about the view and food and service...one of the most beautiful open air restaurants you'll ever enjoy. It's best at sunset.
That's all. I hope you consider the Hyatt. There are so many things to enjoy here. It's beautiful and the staff is attentive to every need. A great experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2004

We just came back from the Hyatt and the grounds are as beautiful as they claim. The pool was excellent. The bathroom was a little small and the beach left a little to be desired. However, we walked a little way down to a better beach. We never had a problem getting a chair by the pool, might not be up front if we we came later in the day, but could still get a chair. The staff was extremely pleasant and friendly. The few times we made requests, they were handled quickly and efficiently. We had a partial ocean view and had a good view of the ocean and the pool. The Swan court was beautiful for breakfast. All in all the stay was excellent. Would definitely recommend the Hyatt.

• Stayed June 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2004

this was the best hotel i have stayed in!!! i saw dolphins oh and the pool was awsome for my daughter she loved the slide! i really recomend this hotel for someone with kids and i will also recomend it for people who want to sleep. why sleep? because the beds are soooo soft!
good luck with this hotel or any other one.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2004

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Maui for 5 nights in Nov/Dec 2003. We loved the Hyatt and felt that our every need was catered to during our stay here. I highly recommend this hotel.

The Hyatt's lobby is open to the outdoors and filled with flowers, trees and exotic birds. From the lobby you can see the large lagoon-style pool and the beach beyond it. It's a really attractive entrance! Check-in was swift and the staff were very polite.

The rooms at the Hyatt are really exceptional. I really recommend paying the extra money for an oceanfront room. You are very close to the water and the view and sound of waves crashing is just amazing. The decor is the rooms is quite elegant: British Colonial with lots of dark wood and white linens. We just loved how comfortable and beautiful our room was.

The Hyatt has a wonderful spa (Spa Moana). It's expensive, but the services are amazing. Try the Lomi Lomi massage, which is a Hawaiian style massage. Also, when your massage is finished, you may sit in an ocean-front room and relax.

The hotel has several nice restaurants. We loved the tropical drinks at Cascades (try the Lava Flow and the Road to Hana). If you want a really fancy dinner, the Swan Court restaurant is very romantic. We also really enjoyed the room service food, especially the fresh strawberries and the banana pancakes. You're close enough at the Hyatt to walk to the restaurants and shops at Whaler's Village, so there are lots of dining options in the area.

The one downside to the Hyatt is that the beach in front of the hotel has eroded a bit. However, if you walk just a few feet in either direction, you'll find large, lovely beaches. So, this wasn't really a problem for us at all. We didn't notice there being more children than usual here, so if you're looking for a romantic getaway spot, I'd say you'll find it at the Hyatt.

We attended the Hyatt's luau as well. I didn't love it and have been to better luaus on Maui. I'd recommend staying here and going elsewhere for a luau. Overall, we LOVED this hotel and would go back in a heartbeat-- hopefully soon!

• Stayed November 2003
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2004

This is our 5th trip to Maui and our 2nd time at the Hyatt Regency. We've stayed at the Ritz, Westin and the Fairmont in our previous trips to Maui, but the most memorable and enjoyable stay was at the Hyatt. If have toddlers this is the place for you. Toddler have their own sand bottom pool and small slide that kept my 3 year busy for hours. The young family section of the pool had ample beach chairs that either had their own canopy or were covered unders a thatched umbrella. The service was excellent all around from the maid service to the food servers. We had paid for the daily buffet breakfast and it was well worth it because we ate enough to last us till dinner. Hyatt's Spa Moana is one of the best hotel spas on Maui. I was a daily visitor to their wet steam room and showers (extra fee on top of resort fee). My only complaint was that the Hyatt charges you an extra $15 "resort fee" and $10 valet fee every time you have an attendant park you car. Maui is an expensivie place to vacation and you should expect high prices, but for my money I would stay at the Hyatt again.

Before you leave the Island you should dine at Nick's fish market at the Fairmont in Wailea and Roy's (2 location). I've tried at least 20 high end eateries on Maui and by far the these 2 places are the Best!!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2004

I,ve been to Hawaii twice in the last two years. I've stayed at the Hyatt twice and each time had a great experience. The rooms are nice, but nothing to remember. I don't understand why people need a huge room with a lot of space. You're in Hawaii, all the space you need is outside. The pool is fabulous with a great waterslide. The walkway to the restaurants is very romantic at night, with a wide variety of restaurants to choose from. The beach out front is not very swimmable, but just keep walking. It's only a short walk to the famous black rock where there is excellant snorkeling. Overall the hotel is a lot of fun. Manicured grounds, penguins, swanns, and artwork. I am so sick of people writting in and complaining about drink prices, overcrowded pools, and small rooms. Could you just remember your in Hawaii. There are a lot of people who will never get to visit this great state. Be happy and enjoy life.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2004

We spent 7 nights at this hotel last week for our honeymoon and couldn't have been happier. We were upgraded for our honeymoon (although we did not get the complimentary champagne advertised). The hotel is beautiful and very romantic. The beach is not nearly as poor as some of the reviews have made it sound although beaches further down towards the Sheraton are most definitely nicer. The catering towards kids and families is separated nicely. The bed is absolute heaven and including the buffet breakfast is totally worth every penny! The service was excellent and always with a smile and even extra information was provided to us. The grounds are wonderfully kept and the activities are always available. The only problem we ever encountered was having our "Do Not Disturb" sign stolen from our door each time we put it out, but it was always promptly replaced by housekeeping without our even asking. If you decide to do the luau at this hotel, we definitely recommend paying the few extra dollars for VIP seating. The show is definitely worth seeing once. Thank you Hyatt for a wonderful and memorable honeymoon. We will be back for sure!!!

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!