“Wonderful Maui Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lancaster, California
“Wonderful Maui Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Just returned this evening from a 5 night stay with my girlfriend. Had a WONDERFUL time! Stayed in one of the deluxe oceanfront Regency Club rooms ("21st Floor"). The view was truly spectacular. It was well above the palm trees and had basically 180 degree view of beautiful beach and ocean scenery. Listening to the waves crash at night was truly delightful and relaxing.

We found all the staff to be incredibly helpful and friendly. I have seen some reviews of long waits, unfriendly staff, etc., and we just didn't find that in a single one of them. Particularly helpful was the valet staff. I have no idea how many times we got our car, but 5-6 times a day or more was pretty common. We never called in advance, and had our car in a matter of minutes every single time. They always welcomed us back (after they got to know us, of course), offered directions any time we left, offered to help with packages after shopping, luggage, etc. Yes, that is what valets are supposed to do, I guess, but I haven't encountered a friendly valet staff like this at any other hotel, and I have been to many, all over the world.

Also very helpful was Rita at the Expedia Concierge (thank you!!) and the entire staff up in the Regency Club Lounge. Very friendly, very helpful, and always welcoming.

Refreshing as well was that the pool was open 24/7. You never see that anymore...anywhere. Perhaps that's the norm in Maui, but everywhere else I've stayed in Hawaii, that was not the case. I guess it's somewhat difficult to close a pool that size, so maybe that's why they don't even try, but for us night owls, it was great to be able to head to the pool and hot tub for a late night swim, with literally nobody else around. It was very romantic.

I do have a complaint though, that quite frankly, just irritates me to no end. I'm not going to allow it to affect the 5 Star rating, but it is an issue that most certainly needs to be addressed. The drinks are horrendous!

I can see the quality of drinks suffering perhaps a little at the luau (Drums of the Pacific). It's an all-you-can drink, open bar affair, and truth be told, I could probably drink close to $100 worth of liquor during that 2 hour show. :P Bye bye profits. But seriously, the drinks were god awful. The mai tais tasted nothing like a mai tai I've ever had before. The vodka - lemonade was somewhat bearable, the blue Hawaiian was perhaps the best (though still awful), and the coup de grâce was the screwdriver. You can't mess up a screwdriver...you just can't. It's so simple, yet so yummy. Well they managed to screw it up. Just tasted horrendous. This all actually became a running joke with the other couples we were seated with, and eventually became a game...find the drink that somewhat tastes like what it's supposed to taste like. It's a game you just can't win there. Though on the plus side, I did have perhaps a bigger mixture of different drinks than I have in a long time, trying to find one that was palatable. One couple we were with visited the bar and noted that a single name brand liquor was nowhere to be seen. Water down the crap liquor and you get what we got for 2 hours.

But the bad drinks did not stop at the luau. Everywhere we went in the hotel, the drinks were awful. This was in basically every restaurant and bar located on the Hyatt property. Everything from screwdrivers, to mai tais, to margaritas, to fruity rum drinks just tasted awful. And they were expensive to boot! I realize we're in paradise and at a resort, but when I pay $14 for a margarita, I expect a large drink that actually tastes like a margarita, not a champagne-sized glass full of horrible-tasting liquor.

Now, go a block or two away to Whaler's Village...basically any restaurant there...and you get some amazing drinks, exactly as you would expect in a tropical paradise.

I hate to take half my review writing about something as inconsequential as alcohol, but it really did put a bad taste in our mouths, literally and figuratively speaking. :) Just a litlte something for the Hyatt folks to think about and work on.

We will absolutely be back! I found my new home for when I visit Maui.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with the Regency Club rooms. Yes they are expensive, but the views just can'...
Green Features: I could care less about environmentally-friendly practices, to be honest. I suppose it's good that they save water, save the whales, purchase only dolphin-free tuna, or whatever it is they do, but I would stay there even if they didn't. ;)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. Despite the quality of drinks offered at the Luau, it is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you liked very much the resort and most defiantly you will return again for its amazing location and excellent service and all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally including the grounds, landscaping, breakfast, pool area, and the Regency Club. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mason, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We read lots of reviews before we went on our trip. You will hear lots of talk about the construction and people being upset, but we never experienced any of that. We were in the Atrium tower with an ocean view and you couldn't have asked for anything better. There are so many shops at the resort and if you need water, snacks or other small items, the store in the hotel is priced the same as the ABC stores around town. We only ate on property for breakfast daily at Swan Court and once at the steakhouse and all were very good meals. Lots of wildlife to see and interact with as well. Sit in the nice breezy area with the Koi in the morning at enjoy your coffee. While eating breakfast, swans will sail right up to your table and you can see flamingos in the background. Great pool, friendly staff and a room with everything we needed. We went to the Luau as well. It was average entertainment and food, but was part of our group's events. Don't think we would have paid to do it on our own.

Great art store in the hotel as well. Has pieces by over 120 different artist's ranging from $10 to several thousand dollars. You can get just about anything here and it's all genuine Hawaii made.

Walk down to Whaler's Village for some of the best shopping on the Island as well as great food. It's only a 15 minute walk and so beautiful along the way. You will get bugged by all of the property's trying to sell you a time share, but just cruise on by them. There is also a trolly you can take from here to the bus station if you do not want to get a car.

We did rent a car and drive the Road To Hana. Very secenic drive, but it was a 12 hour day from start to finish with no lunch. Lots of waterfalls and overlooks to stop at, but don't expect anything when you get to Hana, it's about the ride there and not the destination.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa during your recent vacation. It is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you liked very much the resort as well as the ocean view offered from your room. Also, it is nice to here that you had the best stay ever due to its amazing location, excellent service and all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally including the grounds, landscaping, and pool area. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Poplar Bluff, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We loved Maui and the Hyatt made our stay wonderful. The view was great, the food was excellent and the luau could not be beat. Clean, friendly, only one minor problem, the ac was a little noisy.

The Hyatt is close to shopping, golf, or just walking on the beach. It was the final 3 days of a 3-island tour and we found it to be our favorite. Oahu was great for big city lovers, Kawai was great for rural lovers, but Maui has it all.

If I had to choose one island to visit, this would be it. And the Hyatt was a great place. The pools were excellent, the poolside restaurant was really good and the price was reasonable for Hawaii.

Room Tip: They have several different views...we had mountain/ocean with another tower between.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa during your recent vacation. It is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you had a wonderful stay and you liked very much the resort as well as the ocean view offered from your room. Also, it is nice to here that you had the best stay ever due to its amazing location, excellent service and all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally including the grounds, landscaping, and pool area. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Company trip for 3 nights and personal vacation for an additional 3 nights. Stayed in the deluxe ocean view room and was spacious for the two of us. Accommodations were as expected, room was clean and well appointed. We had an issue with our fridge staying cold and within an hour we had a another one delivered and set up. That was nice. Valet was exceptional and with an advanced call the car was always waiting with an attendant ready to give directions, if needed. Staff was all very friendly and always ready with a quick, Aloha and Mahalo.
We used Amie in the hotels Expedia center for advice, booking dinners and excursions. She was right on point and excellent to work with-even set up our rental car. See reviews for Lahaina Grill-Lahania, KO Restaurant- Wailea, Plantation House-Kapalua,
For company events-they seemed to do a really good job. Food was good-buffet style and room accommodations were on target.
Pool was crowed and sometimes difficult to find a spot, staff did seem to monitor hotel guests from non-hotel guests. Pool was nice, cool swim up bar under the waterfall. Good food-fish tacos and chicken salad were yummy.
Breakfast buffet from Swan Court was good and well appointed with a large variety of foods. Nice view for breakfast.
Store in the hotel was reasonably priced for basic items.
Hotel grounds were very well kept, lots of wildlife around. Took scuba dive from Jose at 5 Star Scuba through hotel. See review under 5 Star Scuba.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room no doubt, rooms on the south side and middle seemed to have the least outside...
BC, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Just returned from Kaanapali, Maui and had the pleasure of staying at The Hyatt Regency. Everything about this hotel is breathtaking, the grounds, pools, ambiance and staff/service was phenomenal. However, I will say the room we stayed in, ocean front, was a bit anticlimactic. Don't get me wrong, the view is spectacular, you can hear the ocean/waves but the room was small and they don't have queen size beds, only doubles. Kind of disappointing being that it was quite expensive. But all in all, it is a fantastic hotel and if I ever get the chance again, I would definitely stay there again. Maybe, I'll go for the ocean view instead, save a couple of bucks.

Room Tip: The ocean front has fantastic views but I would choose ocean view next time for value.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa during your recent vacation. It is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you had a wonderful stay and you liked very much the resort as well as the ocean view offered from your room. Despite the bed type concern, also it is nice to here that you had the best stay ever due to its amazing location, excellent service and all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally including the grounds, landscaping, and pool area. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Hyatt Maui as an add on to our Waikiki holiday with My Hawaii. We hadn't planned on visiting Maui but were offered a great deal for only a few hundred dollars more that we couldn't resist! I am so glad we went, it made our holiday!

We had an Ocean View Room that was truly breath taking! Waking up to the sound of the ocean was just magical! The hotel has everything you need, we didn't need to leave! 2 pools, activities and a evening Luau dinner and show that I highly recommend (we had a ticket offer as part of our package).

The staff were extremely friendly and would stop to say hi. We felt welcomed from the moment we arrived! Hyatt Maui was island bliss, I'm so glad we added it to our trip!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa during your Waikiki holiday. It is always nice to hear positive feedbacks from our guest and are grateful to know you had a wonderful stay and you liked very much the resort as well as the ocean view offered from your room. Also, it is nice to hear that you had the best stay ever and you were provided with all the amenities that the hotel had to offer locally during your stay. Your kind comments were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in Maui.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We enjoyed our 6 nights at the resort. The service was wonderful everyone is very friendly and helpful. and will help set up tours. The rooms are spacious and kept very clean. The location is beautiful, takes your breath away. The grounds are a beautifully kept, tropical oasis, with pools and water falls. The beaches are a few steps away, simply beautiful. You can see Lanai and Molokai from the property. You don't want to leave. However, if you do want to see more of the island it's easy access to the highway to travel around the island. Close to historical Lahaina town. We so enjoyed seeing the island. Yes there are the extra charges, resort and parking fees, however, all the hotels in Hawaii include these charges. Even the condos charge parking fees.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 18th floor overlooking the golf course and mountains. Though when we sat out o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!