“Beautiful Place and Excellent Accomodations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine On Sale
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Springfield, IL
“Beautiful Place and Excellent Accomodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This place is absolutely awesome. My wife and I just spent the last 5 days at the Hyatt. I did a lot of research on this hotel leading into it and also all the way up to the day we left. I read numerous reviews on the noise of the construction and the hassle of it. Not even close to an issue at all and quite honestly I think the people on here that were complaining about the construction are those people that just look for something to complain about everywhere like not enough ice in their ice water. :)

We stayed in room 820 of the Napili tower. What an awesome view. We had a king bed ocean front room and everything was awesome and first class about this room. Popcorn ceilings, yes but honestly who cares about the popcorn ceilings. You're not sleeping on the ceilings and shouldn't be looking at the ceilings to begin with because you are in Hawaii. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very nice and clean. Bathrooms were big enough and just what you should expect for a hotel bathroom. We kept our screen door open all night to listen to the ocean and never heard a thing as far as music, people talking and definitely not construction.

The staff at the Hyatt was awesome and very accommodating. Everything we asked they had an answer for and we even had a gentleman walk us right down to Umalu. I will get to the food and drink later. The waitresses around the pool were very quick and make it truly an enjoyable time.

The pool and beach were great. There was always plenty of chairs at the pool. Very clean and beautiful scenery. The beach isn't huge but there is plenty of space to lay around and the beach is the same all the way north up the coast past Whalers village. Pure white sand...No, but not rocky either.

Food and drink at the Hyatt are a little steep in comparison to the other bars/dining options down the boardwalk. We went to several different places along the coast within a 10 minute walk. After eating at Umalu the first night we ventured out to see what else we could find. Hula Grill in Whalers Village is a great choice and very affordable. Happy hour between 3-6. Burger Bistro right outside the Westin is a great place to grab lunch and watch some football. We took a taxi to Front Street in Lahaina ($10 cab ride) and had drinks at Cheeseburger in Paradise, Kimos & Lahaina Pizza Company. All great choices.

We played Golf at Royal Ka' anapali, Kapalua Bay course & Kapalua Plantation Course. The Kapalua golf courses are awesome and would highly recommend spending the extra $$ to play at Kapalua.They are awesome golf courses and definitely a site to see.

Overall I truly enjoyed this hotel and the Maui experience to the fullest extent. I hope this helps and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ocean Front in the Napili Towers
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for going out of your way to share your detailed review of your stay at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. It is wonderful to hear that you had such a terrific stay. I’m glad to hear that your room was comfortable and that you enjoyed the great ocean view. It’s fantastic that you found the staff to be friendly, accommodating and ready to assist. I’m thrilled that you were able to take advantage of both the pool and the beach. We often hear enthusiastic feedback about how conveniently located we are to Whalers Village and the many shopping and dining options that are available, there. It’s great to hear that you found this to be advantageous, as well. The golf courses on the island are fantastic and I’m so pleased that you were able to try some of them. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Major construction project at the hotel...... inquire where your room is.

Like our United flight/plane to Maui , the hotel like the plane is older and worn... but being on the beach and providing reasonable room rates $219 last I checked ... the Hyatt Maui is a classic OK hotel.... its BIG really really big like most of the hotels in the area so you will be eating swimming walking with over 1000 persons .... expect lines , slow elevators and a surprisingly likable friendly staff 50% of the time.

The hotels in the area are all 500-1000 rooms... so if you enjoy vacationing with a bunch of people you will love the hotel. If you visit Hawaii to get away ... then you might be disappointed .... Things I liked ... staff made the hotel , friendly and loads of smiles , except at the pool bar where you will have to wait for drinks which are well priced during happy hour but the bar area is packed ..... pool service was just average.

We had a newly refurbished room which was Hyatt nice and did have some issues with a non-op shower, they did send a staff up to repair it .....

I would say the breakfast buffet staff was friendly and they hustled .... the assortment of food was poor and picked over if you ate anytime after 9am.

The valet guys were great and efficient ........with the car and it was $20 a day for valet.

Thinks that just made this a poor experience:

Rocks and coral on beach , swimming was at your own risk
Good chairs and umbrellas on the beach are a charge? $40 for two lounge chairs and a umbrella........

Food was well.... close to airplane quality , don't eat here if you appreciate anything more than prison style rubber chicken.

One of the main reasons beside the crowds at the Hyatt is the coral and rocks in the water in front of the hotel .... one of the guests while we were there was injured to the point of needing stitches. Obviously the rocks etc... are not the hotels fault but just a warning. Since the hotel is so huge they must have a guest theft issue with the towels for you will need a TOWEL CARD to get towels , also unless you get up at 6AM expect most of the better positioned lounge chairs to be taken ...... This is cruise ship vacationing .....

We inquired about the kids club ..... 1 kid = $25 an hour 2 kids = $50 an hour / babysitting thru an outside agency $20 for two kids....

One of the last straw points on why I would not recommend the Hyatt Maui and giving it 2 stars is that upon departing we left some items in the room .... two books and a water bottle ( the REI $20 type) .. when we realized it on the drive to HANA I called and was told the items were thrown away...... So don't leave anything in the room , I now wonder if you left something like a watch or a phone , would the item be " thrown away ". Yes our fault for leaving an item, but the complete lack of any personality from this hotel is summed up in the fact that they took no time to keep my items left in the room but their best decision was to throw them away ...... that was a first for me in 30 years of extensive travel.

All in all if you want to vacation with hundreds of others by all means the Hyatt is for you.... if you want a relaxing , get away .... look elsewhere .........

Room Tip: 1. Beach has rocks in many parts be careful 2. lots of construction going on at the hotel be aware...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This place is breathtakingly amazing. I don't quite know where to start as there were so many beautiful things about this place.

Hopefully I can write this in a way that is helpful to ALL not just those that like the nightlife and luxury but also those that are interested in more of peace and relaxation,

When I read reviews before I went I was not sure how to take it in because you always want to make the best decision and not have any regrets about your choice to spend your money and time. Thank goodness I chose HYATT!!!!!!

Okay so first I guess I will start with check-in. The whole process took maybe 20-30 minutes which was not an issue. I even noticed check-in on my way out as I was checking out and did not notice the long lines that I have seen in previous reviews. Staff at check-in and check-out and at the events center were nice, calm and very welcoming and I interacted with at least 7 different staff members not including those at the restaurants and stores. Also a plus during check-in is you get to see and hear the birds while you are waiting, yes tropical and African parrots are talking throughout the lobby ;).

So to the lobby it is! There are those birds I mentioned and penguins in the lobby. Yes I said Penguins :). There are also black and white swans throughout as well, just beautiful to look at and a really serene environment. The lobby is an open atrium at the top so you see the beautiful sunlight in this tropical atmosphere. Gosh and at nighttime it looks amazing with the greenery and lights!

The rooms were clean and nice. Bed very comfy. By the way if you need a fan they will provide you with one upon request and no cost. Bathroom was nice. 2 refrigerators. Microwave for a cost. I never needed one though. Did not hear any peep from other guests or construction at all. While in the room all I heard was wonderful music from the night restaurant as they had live music on some nights. Very fun to listen to. And I heard the most relaxing sound in the world, the waves from Kaanapali beach!!!

The view I had was ocean front and it was priceless and worth the additional cost. I could see the spectacular ocean and the island of Lanai from my balcony on the 18th floor as well as the pool and restaurants. I spent many hours on the balcony just soaking up the peacefullness of Maui.

The beach was great! There are rocky areas but those are mainly by the pool as I noticed. The rest is not rocky at all. The beach was not crowded at all when I was there. We were able to find our own spaces to relax and enjoy the water. Had plans to see other beaches but this one was more than enough for me.

The resort pool was crowded or maybe I should say more of the sun bathing areas although they have many lounging areas so you still had seating. I did not use nor need the pool though as I had the magnificent beach!! You get towels near the pool they give you a card and you return them and get your card back etc. Nice big towels.The resort is really nice you have little green areas, palm trees everywhere and a grado. Restaurants are expensive to be expected but there are 2 or 3 to choose from.

Their buffet breakfast was one of the best I've had!! Service food and view just great. View included waterfall and swans and birds all around you. How wonderful is that! I spent time just looking at the animals and water.

There is a Macy's store and corner like store and a few others in the resort for souvenirs or swim suits or food etc.

They also have an events center that helps you with finding tours and transportation.

They have a bus that is 4 dollars a day that takes you all around for that small fee per day! The trolley that takes you to a shopping village called whalers village (great mall like place with great food, beach side restaurants and high end shops). Trolley is free! There is an ABC store at whalers village that has grocery type food and snacks to buy for the room. I stacked up the first day so I did not need snacks for my whole trip.

The other malls are great. There is an outback steakhouse near the resorts as well and you can get there by bus,

I know I am rambling but trust me these tips came in handy. there is also snorkeling gear at the ABC store for those that want to do that. There is also rafting, kayaking, and canoeing and the list goes on.

Again no noise issue for us. No issue with staff they were very friendly and welcoming. Transportation was great. Close proximity to touring, restaurants and activities. Calm environment even at night. There are the restaurants for those that love the night life. Rooms were comfy, clean and modern flat screen etc. Ipod dock etc. Balconys were nice and views were priceless.

Overall very nice lovely place that I will and have already planned visiting again!! No need to search elsewhere it had it all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to share your extensive feedback about your recent stay. I’m delighted to hear that you had such an excellent check in and enjoyed interacting with the staff, as well as the many birds in the lobby. It is great that you found your room to be comfortable, clean and quiet and that you had an excellent view. We often hear enthusiastic feedback about the breakfast buffet in Swan Court and I’m glad that the food and birds were so much to your liking. I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel again on your next trip to Hawaii.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate
Parry Sound, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I just spent 9 nights here and I am writing this review from the point of view of someone who expects privacy and graceful anonymity when at a luxury resort. From this point of view I would have to say that the Hyatt Regency Lahaina has some excellent features and some major personality or management issues.
We loved our room for the first two days (weekend) but were shocked at the noise level in our room during the weekdays due to construction on three sides of us. Jack Hammering in the pool Grotto echoing to our balcony, Masonry saws in the adjacent room under renovations, timeshare construction on the other side. We complained to management and were given a cabana to occupy during the day but it is not the same as having the peace and quiet of your room when you want it.
The walk to our room in the Napili building meant a trip through their timeshare sales centre and running the gauntlet past their sales people. This is not a small journey and I counted a total of 110 steps (about 300 ft ) of hallway through their sales centre to get to the Napili elevators.
I would have to say that the staff of this resort were truly outstanding and second to none in every interaction that we had. We loved the facilities, crowded as they were (gym, pool), and had excellent service and help from the concierge.
I would never accept a room in the Napili building again as it is 'sales central' for the timeshares and 50% of the rooms overlook the new construction and cranes. In spite of all of the positives that we experienced I am not sure that I would go back to this resort at all. They have some serious soul searching to do with respect to how much they want to push Timeshares. The single biggest identity that they portray is that of a sales centre with Timeshare kiosks in the Napili building, centre of the main lobby, adjacent to the swimming pool, and at the ocean front. To walk from our room to the ocean walkway we had to pass four sales centres with staff always looking to engage you.
I do not go to a high end resort to have regular attempts at a wallet biopsy. We looked around the island while we were there and I think that better value and privacy exist in many places and we will try them out. Maybe this lack of repeat customer will be good for the Timeshare sales, since new people will always be coming, but it will negatively affect their advertised core business of being a resort.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the Napili building for reasons mentioned in the review.
WanderingTaxman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife & I stayed here for 8 nights earlier this month. After a few days, we realized we did not hear any noise from any adjoining rooms, above, below or on sides. Not a peep! We did not even hear people in the halls (it could have something to do with the sign near the elevators asking people to be quiet at night).

I would give the hotel an extra star if the bed was not so soft. I asked for a fix but Jeff at the front desk (who was Always very helpful) told me they had no other type mattresses. I woke up with a sore back most morning and first attributed it to the scuba gear I was wearing most days but that was not it. The soreness usually worked out by the time I hit the gym.

Speaking of the gym - open 24 hours! That was very helpful. My seminar started every morning @ 7.30 & in many hotels where I have stayed, the gyms don't open until 8 or 9 am.

The pool, the view, the waterside, the staff & the mai-tais all made this a great stay!

Room Tip: Stay away from the corner (larger rooms in the Napili Tower) as they back up to the elevator shaft...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. I am sorry that the bed was not to your liking but I hope that will not deter you from returning as I see that overall, you had a fantastic time! I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations Associate
Lahaina, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

The Hyatt is located in Kaanapali beach in Maui, one of the best beaches in the planet! Certaintly on the top 10 places I have ever been to. I'm a Maui resident and love to explore hotels, I can tell you that you'll not be disappointed with the Hyatt Regency Maui. From penguins to whales, waterfalls and pool bar. Don't hesitate to book it if the price is right. Shop around though, sometimes the Sharaton in Kaanapali has better deals. Anything above 350/night is too much (depending on the season). My girlfriend and I loved the spa too, the service was outstanding!'

• Stayed October 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Hello Junior S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. We are so thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay with us and thank you so much for your recommendation to our future guests. I am also happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our hotel amenities such as the pool, bars and spa. We hope you will return on your next getaway in Maui.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
redlands california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

After 33 years, the Hyatt Regency Maui still reigns supreme on Kaanapali Beach with a fabulous beach front location and as a well designed resort property. This is still an impressive place to stay and we loved our visit in spite of the few challenges noted below.

The asterisk comes from construction noise and cost cutting. They are building an adjacent 131 unit Hyatt Regency Club complex as well as refurbishing the existing structure so be prepared for some construction noise. Cost cutting is also apparent in staff reductions and in the rooms. Please Hyatt upgrade the rooms and especially the beds and the linens.

They also have too much selling going on in an otherwise inviting pristine atrium with carnival like hawkers promoting purchasing time shares and residences in their new complex under construction.

Room Tip: Chose the Lahaina Tower to minimize construction noise
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. I am glad to hear that you love our hotel and enjoyed your visit. I am sorry about the construction noise, just a few more months and we will be completing the construction. I appreciate your feedback as well and will be sure to share it with our Executive Management team. I hope we get to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!