“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine On Sale
Ranked #19 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Really nice place right on the beach. Probably the best pool area of any hotel I've seen. A bit pricey but you are on Maui.

The breakfast buffet is awesome when included, you look out on a pond and water fall full of swans and flamingos. Be sure to hit the 150 foot waterside as well.

• Stayed July 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to provide us with your feedback. I am delighted that you had such a fantastic stay at our resort. It sounds like you really enjoyed the pool as well as the waterslide. Your kind words regarding the breakfast buffet are greatly appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Maui the next time your travel brings you back to the island. Mahalo!

3,149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Southside, Alabama, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is really nice but they are doing some construction next door for Time Shares which took away from the ambiance. ( We upgraded our room because of this). Also, it needs to be updated with new fixtures especially in the bathrooms. The rooms are nice but the pillows are awful! This hotel has a great view and most of the lobby is totally open air which adds to the beauty. ( They even have penguins)! The pool is awesome! My son and husband loved it! My stepdaughter and I did a bike tour (Maui Easy Riders) and the Road to Hana which is on the other side of the Island and it took us about 3 hours round trip to get back to the hotel. So really, this side of the island is for shopping (Front Street) and golfing with some of the best golf courses the island has to offer such as Plantation Golf Course but for excursions like I mentioned, plan to be gone all day! Not to mention that the Airport is on that end also!

Room Tip: If you like hard short pillows, these are the rooms for you. Also, our room was on the 15th floor o...
Englewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were very happy with our king ocean view room on the 15th floor. It had great views of the pool and the ocean, where you could see Lanai. We were only here for a short-time but the conceirge and hotel check in were very accomodating. The room was large but could use some remodeling when it comes to the bathroom, although it was still clean. There is a $25 resort fee. We had club access, and compared to other Hyatt clubs, it was a little dissapointing. Valet Parking was $20 and self park was $14...the one thing I really didn't care for about this hotel. The pool area was nice, the food by the pool was good, and we didn't have trouble finding a lounge chair. We loved seeing the penguins! Their is barely a beach there...so you might need to go down the road if your looking for a beach day. The hotel is under construction on one side, although where my room was located I was not distubed by it. Overall, I would return again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to provide us with your feedback. Your kind words regarding your stay are greatly appreciated. It sounds like you really enjoyed your ocean view room. We have some of the most breathtaking ocean views at our resort. I am delighted you found the pool area to be well appointed and the food provided to be quite good. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future!

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 9 days and it wasn't nearly long enough. We were pleasantly surprised with the view from our partial-ocean-view room on the 9th floor of the Lahaina tower. We had a great view spanning from the West Maui Mountains, past Lahaina, to the ocean. Other resorts might have called this an ocean-view room. We enjoyed sitting on our balcony each evening, watching the luau right below us. (It finished each night by 8:30-9:00, so noise was not an issue). The room itself seemed a bit larger than average. Like other resorts in Hawaii, there is a $25 resort fee per night. Unlike other hotels, however, this one does not cover much other than wi-fi and use of the gym. They give a laundry list of things it includes that hardly anybody would ever use, or what would be expected to be included anyway, like a daily newspaper, coffee in the room, etc. Parking is an additional $14 per night for self park. It was very annoying paying an additional $30 per night for a connecting room for our family of 6 with small children. Seemed tacky and petty.

The grounds here are absolutely beautiful, with several paths winding through the gardens past the ponds and hotel's bird collection. The construction of the new tower did not seem to be too intrusive around the grounds and facilities, except for the obstructed-view rooms facing it and the beach area in front of it. What was intrusive however, was the renovation construction around the pool itself throughout the day. It was quite loud, and the waterfalls were turned off much of the time due to the construction. Hopefully it is finished by the time this review is published. The pools themselves were spectacular, with a swim-thru grotto connecting them. While it seemed difficult to ever find a pool chair near the main pool, there always seemed to plenty by the other pool (near the kids splash area). The slide was great for kids and adults, fast and thru the dark, but there is a minimum 48 inch height requirement. There is also a mini-slide for the smaller kids. Contrary to what some reviews have stated, the pools are heated, just not very well. The Swan Court breakfast restaurant was beautiful, but the lines to be seated stretched across the foyer and up the stairs, while the hotel's other restaurants, including the quick service Umalu food court, remained closed and empty.

Also, as other reviewers have noted, the beach in front of the property has eroded down to the point where there is hardly any sandy beach left at all, especially at high tide. There is still some beachfront left at the far north end of the property, just past the Napili tower, but unfortunately this is right in front of the ongoing construction project. The beach however does continue to improve as you walk north. It takes about 5-10 minutes walking to reach the nice stretch of sand in front of the Marriott next door.

All in all, a great, if busy, resort. We did find the staff to be particularly friendly across the board, especially Joy, a hostess at the Swan Court. The Hyatt still gives everyone a lei greeting at check-in, something you hardly see anymore. I would recommend requesting an upper floor room in the Lahaina tower, far from the construction noise and with a great view on either side of the building.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review. It sounds like you and your family enjoyed your stay at our resort. I am thrilled you found the grounds to be absolutely beautiful. We take great pride in our property and want to make sure it is well maintained for our guests. I am pleased you found the pools to be spectacular. Our lava tube slide is a huge hit with both the kids and adults. Your comments regarding breakfast at Swan Court are greatly appreciated. I will be sure that Joy is acknowledged for her wonderful service. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Maui for your recent stay. I hope we can welcome you and your family back to our resort in the future!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My daughter (5) and I stayed there for the second time for our annual mom & daughter trip. She LOVES it there and it is like a little kid paradise (and a bit of a paradise for me, too!). The staff is all wonderful and friendly and the rooms are pretty nice, but what makes this hotel is the location, pools, gardens, and animals.

While the Hyatt is on the boardwalk/strip that leads down to Black Rock, it is the farthest hotel away from Whaler's Village so it gets a bit less foot traffic and is quieter. Everything is within walking distance but you aren't in the middle of the party (Whaler's Village, which is quite festive at night and the surrounding hotels seem very active).

The pools are a kids' heaven. Floating turtles and dolphins to play on, pools of every depth for teeny to bigger kids, and a slide that even little ones can maneuver independently. With the rougher surf at times, it is nice to have the option of the pool.

The gardens are amazing---so well kept and full of every flower you'd expect to see in Hawaii. Just beautiful. The swans and pink flamingos are a great touch and my daughter named them all (Vanilla, Chocolate, and Ice Cream). I was sad to see the African Crowned Crane, Spike, out of his normal area due to the construction and I hope they put him back where he can interact with the kids more. We found him (took us 2.5 days of asking everyone we encountered) but he was hard to see and my daughter adores him and asks about him all year long, so it was too bad she didn't get to see "her Spike" up close. His brother Ike is a ham but Spike is the biggest ham and deserves an opportunity to live it up! : )

We stuck close to the resort this trip as I found the road construction and traffic around Lahaina more annoying this year and didn't want to spend vacation in a car.

We ate at Japengo twice and it is just fabulous. The 50/50 roll and blackened tuna roll just cannot be beat. Impeccable presentation and the highest quality of food of ANY sushi restaurant I've ever dined. Staff was also very accommodating of my daughter's requests and our determination to leave our table to watch the sunset---they didn't mind a bit and fended off all the others who wanted to take our place!

We ate breakfast each morning in our leisurely fashion at Swan Court. I know the birds annoy some people but not us---it's part of the atmosphere there and if that sort of thing bothers you, I'd advise you to get food upstairs in the atrium. We enjoyed the swans swimming up to us and the birds flying around----just remember to cover your food with your napkin if you get up from the table! The selection at Swan Court is amazing---the omelet chefs were great, the staff replaced food often--keeping it fresh--and overall it is a step up from what you'd normally find at a hotel that offers such a breakfast. We had a 2 for 1 deal with the room so it came to about 20 dollars plus tip per morning but I think my daughter ate enough banana bread, chocolate chip muffins, omelets, bacon, sausage, banana pancakes, guava pancakes, and brie to more than make it worth the money (which I didn't think was that much, anyway).

The construction was going on but staff apologized for it and they did not work during hours that we were sleeping. They always stopped if we went by and were very respectful and it didn't bother me a bit.

The rooms are pretty good-sized and very clean. I'd say housekeeping was excellent and I noticed when I checked around the bed that there was not even dust to be found---something unusual in hotel rooms and shows their housekeeping staff is above par. Plus, they are friendly even when you are walking down the hall. Maybe I would be, too, if I lived on Maui??

Great place---we love it and will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay so thoroughly. I am glad that your daughter liked the pools and all of the activities available there. It is wonderful to hear that you found the gardens to be so exceptional and enjoyed the wildlife. I am happy that you were able to find Spike and we hope he will be able to return to his normal area soon. The blackened tuna roll in Japengo is one of my favorite dishes, as well. I am thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of the breakfast buffet in Swan Court – it is a wonderful way to start each day. I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a quick trip to Maui July 11th through the 14th. The trip began terribly, with me forgetting my wallet in my car. I did not have my identification or money with me, and this was brought up at the front desk during check-in and Amanda gave us an ocean-view king bed room because she wanted me to "wake up with a smile." I absolutely did!

When planning our activities, I found the Expedia desk very helpful--Heather, in particular. Not once did I feel pressured to book something. Additionally, she let me cancel some things extremely last-minute even if the events required 48 hours.

I work at the front desk of a hotel near Disneyland, so I really appreciate good customer service at hotels. The people who work here are very dedicated to their jobs and guest satisfaction.

The location is beautiful! We walked to and from Black Rock every day that we were there to do some snorkeling, which was not too bad by any means. However, for people who do not want to do this much walking, Ka'anapali resort hotels have a complimentary shuttle. I really enjoyed the gorgeous grounds of the Hyatt, complete with adorable South African penguins!

Thanks for the stay, Hyatt! Your staff made my first venture over to the islands unforgettable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide your feedback. I’m pleased to hear Amanda was able to help you start your stay off pleasantly; the Ocean View room is terrific. I’m glad that Heather was helpful to assist you in setting up your island adventures. It is fantastic that you were able to get the chance to snorkel at Black Rock, it is beautiful. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Allie H- A Guest Relations Associate
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked our stay on Hotwire.com, and we were not disappointed. The food and service were good, the location was as expected, and the hotel grounds and facilities were amazing. We would definitely love to stay at this hotel again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
It is such a pleasure to hear that you had an outstanding experience at our resort. I am glad you found the food and service to be good and the facilities to be amazing. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Maui in the future. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!