“Never want to leave” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double Your Points
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ashburn, Virginia
“Never want to leave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Paradise, but so tempting, you might miss the rest of the islands beauty. We stayed here after a week at a lovely condo, and I'm sure if we had stayed here first, we would have missed so much of what the island has to offer. Glad we split up the trip. This was not an economical option, but beautiful memories and so much to enjoy without ever getting in the car.

• Stayed July 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
It is so great to hear when our guests have an excellent stay at our resort. I am so happy you found the property to be beautifully appointed. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Maui. I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort the next time your travel brings you back to Maui!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Coxheath
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel having purchased four nights online. We were aware that we were purchasing an ubstructed view however we were not made aware of the mess we would be passing through every time we left our room. There are workers and dust everywhere, forklifts and bobcats zipping back and forth in the hallway as we try to get to our elevator. Our son has breathing issues and this is unexceptable. I was told at the front desk I could be moved for the discounted price of one hundred dollars a night. We met another very upset couple last night moving in for ten nights, they also had a lovely view of construction, again not aware until check in. This section should be closed during this time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HyattHotelGirl, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hi Joan,
Tripadvisor gives us limited access to message you - but we'd love a chance to talk to you more in depth about your disappointing stay. If you can find a chance, please e-mail our Director of Rooms, Michael.Murphy@hyatt.com - and let us know the best number/email that you can be reached at. Mahalo for your time.
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was our 3rd time at the Hyatt. The grounds are gorgeous. The rooms are fine, nothing spectacular. As for the construction~this was somewhat bothersome, but I had expected it after reading all the reviews.

We did the luau at the Hyatt for the first time and I would give it a 7/10. The food was good and the performances were great The Old Lahaina Laua has better service and atmosphere vs. the Hyatt.

We also did the star gazing with the Hyatt and this was very cool.

But I do have a few other concerns....
1. After spending 8 days here the breakfast area begin to gross me out. The birds and their pooping, flying everywhere, and on everything got gross. It seems it's becoming unsanitary. I saw poop stains everywhere. We even had a duck come to our table as if begging for food. There really needs to be a solution to this.

2. We saw 2 rats on the grounds while there, as well. The 1st was around the hot tub area and the other by the outside showers. This began to make me think. I understand there will be wildlife, but when you began to see rats? This doesn't seem very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. I am delighted we were able to welcome you back for a third time. It sounds like you really enjoy the grounds finding them to be beautifully appointed. I am pleased you were able to experience the Drums of the Pacific Laua and the Tour of the Stars. I appreciate your feedback in regards to the breakfast area and have shared this with our management team. Thank you again for choosing our resort for your recent visit to Maui. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt in Maui for the second part of our honeymoon. There were some things that we really loved about our stay, and some things that kind of rubbed us the wrong way. The view from the beach was fantastic. The Japanese restaurant was amazing, the beachside grille was very good too. The view from our room was incredible as well! What we really didn't care for is how we felt nickle and dimed for some things. For example, there was a resort fee (which is understandable), but then there was a $14 per day charge to park. In addition, any time someone helped your at the resort, they essentially had their hand held out asking for a tip. Seems kind of tacky for a place like the Hyatt. The room itself was just ok. The view was great, but the room was small and had some outdated decor. Location was about an hour from the airport, but there were tons of restaurants and shopping immediately in the area. Overall it was good, just not great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I thank you for taking a moment to provide us with your feedback. It is a pleasure to hear that you found the views to be fantastic and your experience at Japengo to be amazing. I will share your comments about the décor in your room with our management team. Thank you for spending such a special occasion with us. I hope we can have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to Hyatt Regency Maui. Mahalo!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate
Denver, Colorado, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

It pains me to leave a negative review of a resort I once loved, but the truth needs to be told. We have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Maui during several previous vacations, and until now, we have always been delighted with the resort. This time, however, missed the mark completely. We booked the room through a third-party website, which failed to disclose the noisy construction taking place just outside of our room, noting instead an "obstructed view". There is a significant difference between an obstructed view and noisy, disruptive construction that begins at 7am every day of the week. The information was not available at the time of booking, but as of now, the website includes the information (maybe too many customers complained about false advertising?) I can understand a resort's ambition to upgrade their grounds and build additional units for time shares, but keeping guests in the dark about these changes and their impact on a vacation is unacceptable. Speaking of upgrades, while they are sprucing things up, why not start with the room interiors? The rooms feel dark, outdated, and unwelcoming, despite the stunning lobby and amazing landscape. I feel deceived by this absence of information, as well as the clerk who checked us in at 10:30pm the evening we arrived and assured us not only that we had one of the best rooms at the resort, with a lovely view included, but also that the parking lot we had used in the past was inconvenient and that a more distant lot would be more suited to our needs.By the way, parking now costs between $14 (self-pay) and $20 (valet), a stark change from the past, when parking for guests was free. Parking isn't the only thing that the resort overcharges for; meager cocktails, which include a copious amount of ice and a small amount of fluid, will cost you around $14, and the breakfast buffet, at $25, is limited, boring, and sadly lacking in healthful breakfast items. Both the management and staff have some work to do in the customer service department. Housekeeping didn't come one day until I called the front desk to request service. If you choose to stay here, remember to ask for new sheets daily if you want them, because they will reuse the same bedding several days in a row otherwise. One of the perks of a vacation should include fresh sheets and towels daily, in my opinion. If not for the sublime gardens, the Hyatt Regency wouldn't have much else to attract visitors. I find it heartbreaking that a place with the potential to be heaven on earth has chosen to create unnecessary headaches for its guests instead, many of whom have saved up for special occasions and deserve better than what they get. In the future, we will look for a resort that lives up to the expectations we once had for the Hyatt Regency Maui. Save your money and do your research if you're planning a dream vacation, or you may find yourself dealing with a nightmare trip instead!

Aloha Laura,
Thank you for giving us some feedback about your June stay... I see you share the love of this property that I too have for it. It pains me to read that review (for several reasons but starting with the third party that did not properly disclose the construction occurring adjacent to our hotel) because we LOVE repeat guests such as yourself. Every year we try to make small changes to our cultural programs and activities so we can switch things up for our return summer guests... because we try to stay up to date... so when I read about us looking drab, I panic! I know our team would love to speak with you more about our project ongoing next door, and housekeeping concerns you had - if you get a chance! We would love your detailed feedback!
Please feel free to reach out to our Assistant Director of Rooms, Nick Francis at Nick.Francis@hyatt.com so we can improve our guests (and hopefully yours!) future stays.
Mahalo! Kressa, Social Media
Pueblo, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We really like this hotel. Had a few problems at check-in but the manager Adam took care of everything. Great manager and has a wonderful staff. He was very happy to talk to us and make sure our stay went well and checked on our group several times. Rooms are great and have some of the best views in Kaanapali. The hotel is under construction but should not stop any one from going. The breakfast buffet is awesome. The pool staff was excellent. If you find Brooke at the pool she is one of the best waitress ever. Great hotel with friendly and experienced staff. This place is a must stay. We had a group of 13. Ages ranged from 2 to 66 and everyone had a great time.

Room Tip: Pick an ocean view room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing feedback in regards to you and your groups recent experience at our property. I am pleased that Adam was able to take care of everything for you at check in. It is great to hear that you found the breakfast buffet to be awesome and the pool staff to be excellent. I will let our management team know you found Brooke’s service to be terrific. Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at our resort. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Maui in the future. Mahalo!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Beautiful Hotel. Very open an tropical. Big pool. Beautiful rooms (Ocean view). View on either side would be amazing. The mountain view was magnificent also. Take the cheaper room. Not much beach area. You'll have to walk a bit for it to another hotel. This hotel, unlike the one in Waikiki does not offer free beach chairs and water, which was a bit of a disappointment. We did not spend any time at the beach here. We went to Honolua bay for snorkeling and other areas where we hiked and sunned ourselves. This room was a bit bigger than the Hyatt Waikiki. We rented a car and they allowed us to park free of charge. I believe there is a fee to park your own car as well as valet parking (which of course is more). We had an issue with our toilet when we got there. They came up and fixed it right away. There are stores and restaurants within this area which was very nice to walk to and shop. There is so much to do on this island. You will need a lot of time here since five days was not enough for us. As I said in my Hyatt Waikiki review, since we didn't spend much time in this hotel, I might opt to go cheaper next time. This is a hotel to truly enjoy if you plan on spending time there.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms would be good. The view from all sides is amazing. We had to avoid constru...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback about your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you found our hotel to be so beautiful and that you enjoyed your ocean view room. We often hear enthusiastic feedback about how conveniently located we are to the many shopping and dining options in Whalers Village. I am glad that you found this to be advantageous, as well. I am happy to hear that the issue with your toilet was resolved in a timely manner so that it didn’t disrupt your stay. I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!