“Disappointment unless you're under 12.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine On Sale
Ranked #19 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mill Valley, California
“Disappointment unless you're under 12.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights for a conference mid February and was actually quite disappointed. Overall there was good and bad but for us, the net result was more on the bad side.
The grounds were beautifully maintained, lush and well cared for vegetation, clean and spotless public areas. Downside was seeing the poor trapped birds. The lone African crowned crane, the parrots, white and black swans, the cute penguins all may entertain the guests, especially the young ones but we felt sorry for their prison predicament. This, in spite of appearing to be well taken care of. The pool, one big undulating tank of super chlorinated water that stung our eyes snaked from the adult end to the kids end (hence the heavy chemical sterilization). An artificial grotto, rope bridge, and long water slide helps to keep the kids occupied. The clean but narrow beach was a quiet respite form the noisy vacationers turning from white to pink to red, the color matching the pet flamingos stuck for life in their man made waterfall walled and koi filled habitats.
The room we were in, resort view (code for cheap views of the driveways and gold courses on Kaanapali Resort Drive) was a large corner suite with a sofa bed and balconies looking north and east. With popcorn acoustic ceilings' worn and dated furniture, low uncomfortable 1960's platform bed, noisy humming air conditioner, the room could use a remodel but it was clean and comfortable. The commode and bathtub/shower combination was very tiny, sitting on the throne meant you could barely open the door without serious knee trauma but at least the water pressure was adequate. Speaking of water, our stay was marked with a period of no water as construction work on their entrance area inadvertently caused the water main to break not once but on two separate days! That meant no toilet flushing, showers, etc. I don't know how they got away with keeping the bars and restaurants open without violating health regulations but they did and you can be sure I didn't order any food or drink during the 3 to 4 hour periods.
My guess is that when you're charging 18 dollars for a dollop of raw fish and limp taro chips and calling it an appetizer, shutting down the kitchen just because of a minor issue like no one washing their hands or dishes is easily overlooked for the sake of the bottom line. Speaking of food, yes it's expensive in Maui and yes it's ridiculously expensive at resorts like this. Prices like this are nothing new but having eaten at Japengo and seeing the offerings at Umalu, both restaurants at the resort, you'd expect to get superior food. You'd be disappointed. I've reviewed Japengo elsewhere but here's the short version: don't go.
The staff are unflaggingly friendly but we still had to jog up to the next floor to find a housekeeper to get soap to take a shower, even though our room was just serviced. The concierge helped us get reservations but she used opentable.com which, as a member, I could have done. When I mentioned it, she chuckled that this way she gets the opentable points. Way to go to make us feel cared for!
The parking is crazy. The spaces are all for subcompacts but all the rental cars are mid size or larger making for gymnastics to get in and out of your car, not to mention lack of spaces due to the occasional car space hog. One evening both lots were full and after driving around with a couple of other drivers playing musical car space with the music never stopping, we ended up using the valet. He generously offered to comp us for the service but it would have been nice for them to let drivers know as soon as the lots are full rather than wasting time driving round and round late at night.
I didn't use the spa but our friends liked their massages and all the facilities they were then able to access. I had trouble spending over $200 for an 80 minute massage. I did use the gym, though. I've stayed at enough resorts to say that this gym is probably the best I've used in a resort. There is no extra charge, you get in with your room key and there is a studio for group exercise classes as well as citrus spiked water, a refrigerator with cold damp towels, plenty of cardio machines like stair climbers, stationary bikes, ellipticals, treadmills all looking out over the beach and water to neighboring Lana'i. Add a nice complement of free weights, full range of weight machines, a smith machine, a cable machine, exercise balls, and adjustable benches and you really have no excuse not to stay fit except for that beautiful beach and sun beckoning.
The hotel is chock a block full of Asian and African d'objects d'art with small brass labels with little information. Still it made for a very classy and refined atmosphere as you incongruously trudge through the halls and walkways in flip flops and swimming togs.
In summary, for the price, you could do better but you could do worse. If setting and grounds are a big part of your resort enjoyment, this could be perfect for you. But eat out, get a small subcompact, get a room higher than the first 4 floors and don't bring a PETA supporter.

Room Tip: Get a corner suite, golf course side is quieter unless you're on the parking side. The beach sid...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HyattHotelGirl, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your review! As you noted there are quite a bit of wild life at our hotel - but I can assure you that are are greatly cared for! We're happy to elaborate on any thing you might have questions on - please feel free to contact us at qualityoggrm@hyatt.com for more information on our animal care.

3,153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Shell Beach. CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Spent 2 nights at the tail end of a week in Maui. I had been to the property several times, but most recently more than 15 years ago. I remembered the layout vaguely. We used Gold Passport points for this stay, and were in an oceanfront, Regency Club room. The view from the room could not have been better. It was on the 21st floor, had a direct ocean view, and until you got closer to the lanai, all you could see was ocean. Our balcony overlooked the beautiful pool, and it was fun to watch people strolling by and sitting out. The room was spacious and clean. The bed actually faced out to the ocean to maximize the view. Few hotels lay out their rooms this way, and it made such a difference. Every employee we encountered was positive, enthusiastic, and helpful. The gym was by far the nicest facility I have ever used in a hotel. The only things I can find fault with, and they are minimal, are that the lighting in the bathroom (over the tub/shower) was dim, and that the loungers by the pool are so close together that we felt like our space was compromised. The water slide was a blast! My husband said that it was nice not to have to act like an adult for a change. The location is great....close to shopping and restaurants at Whaler's Village.

Room Tip: The main building of the hotel (above the lobby) has the best direct ocean views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Aloha sloshel!

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed experience from your recent visit to our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your rewards stay on our Regency Club level. Those floors have an outstanding view for our guests. Our associates will be recognized for the great service you experienced during your visit. We're glad you had fun going down the waterslide! It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Mahalo,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I were on our first visit to Hawaii and we took a package for Hyatt Maui. To simply put it out ... no amount of words or photographs can describe the scenic beauty of this spectacular resort! It needs to be experienced first hand!

Pros:
1. Resort in every sense with wide variety of free roaming exotic birds and fishes!
2. The rooms are clean, spacious and well stocked with all the stuff that you would need.
3. Free WiFi service across the entire resort.
4. The beach is immaculate and sparkling clean!
5. The three restaurants - Swan Court (for breakfast), Umalu and Japengo are all open area dining, fantastic with great food options and service! Japengo is more formal and closes by 9 while Umalu is more casual and open till midnight.
6. Short walk (~15 mins) to Whaler's Village along the boardwalk.
7. Ample parking space for rental cars. Both valet and self parking options available.
8. The front desk, staff and concierge were very helpful and forthcoming.
9. Being the last resort along the beach, its more open and less congested.
10. Location, location & location! Great!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review. I am so excited to hear that you and your wife had a memorable experience at our resort. We have a beautifully appointed property with a terrific staff. I am glad you were able to sample our restaurants. We have great dining options that offer superb food and excellent service. Your feedback and recommendation are our biggest compliment! I hope we can have the opportunity in the future to welcome you and your wife back to our resort. Mahalo!

Maui, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

short stay here last week with a child. Love the lobby, cranes, and penguins.
room: not bad. a little outdated. renovation/additions being constructed.

pool: fun but cold. also with lots of debris. leaves, flowers, and branches in the water. pool area not as clean as other hotels of this price/quality

sunset views are lovely. beach is ok. you would want to walk a little bit to better part of the beach. food was good. good servers poolside.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have no clue what the person below me was saying, absolutely none of that can be true about this hotel! It's amazing!

We stayed there from April 29 - May 2. Unfortunately, not nearly long enough!

I have nothing but great things to say. First of all, we were on our honeymoon, which I indicated when I booked the room. When we checked in, the lovely girl at the counter (I believe her name was Amanda) saw that, and promptly removed our parking charges, and our resort fee. It was so nice of her! Unfortunately she couldn't upgrade our room, because there was no availability, but I thought the things she DID do for us were even better, considering our room was huge anyway!

The room was clean and as I mentioned, huge! It was perfect. We had a mountain-view room, but I didn't think anything was lacking. Nice and quiet.

The grounds of this hotel were absolutely spectacular! I've never seen anything like it! It's probably the most beautiful hotel I've ever stayed at. The pool was gorgeous too.

The staff were all friendly, welcoming and pleasant.

It's expensive, but the breakfast buffet at Swan Court was TO DIE FOR!!!!!! A la carte omelette station, TONS of fresh fruit, fresh baked goods, delicious bacon, sausages, french toast....we didn't have to eat lunch after we ate breakfast here! Well worth the money.

The luau was very entertaining as well. The concierge who helped us book it was spectacular, I wish I remember his name.

All in all, I don't have a single bad thing to say about this hotel. Wonderfully located too, with a short walk to Whalers Village, which has great restaurants, and a mall.

Wish I could go back right now!

Aloha LovesBeachesandFood!

Thank you for sharing so much detail from your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. Congratulations and thank you for choosing our hotel for your Honeymoon getaway. Amanda, and our concierge staff will be recognized for the excellent service you experienced. Hyatt takes great pride with comments such as yours. I have to agree, the breakfast at Swan Court is one of the most delicious I've enjoyed! It would be our pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back for multiple Anniversary celebrations!

Mahalo,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Just got home after spending my 40th bday at the Hyatt. My friend & I were looking for a memorable but relaxing holiday. And we got it

The rooms are spacious and the ocean view is amazing. The rooms aren't the most luxurious but considering we only slept there it wasn't a problem

We had no problems getting a bed by the pool but it would be good if there was more shade for us pale Brits.

The food was excellent everywhere we ate and the service from concierge, shops, waiters was attentitive and nothing seems to be too much of a problem. In fact the free ice creams & Popsicles were a much needed surprise and these little touches made the holiday

I used the spa twice and had excellent treatments and would def recommend

Overall fantastic sunshine, staff and so extremely sad to have left. Saving up for my next visit - mahalo!

• Stayed May 2013
I am honored that you chose to spend your birthday at our resort! It sounds like you and your friend had a memorable stay. I am glad you found the food to be excellent and the staff fantastic. I am please you were able to take advantage of Spa Moana. The have beautifully appointed treatment rooms and offer a variety of services. Your recommendation and feedback is greatly appreciated. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future. Mahalo!

Waldwick, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

A great place- period!
Rates are high but well worth it- we had all inclusive with breakfast and valet service.
Absolutely stunning-Palm trees, penguins, parrots in lobby- great pool and beach- wonderful, helpful staff. Great for seniors and honeymooners. Lots of infants and toddlers ( May 2013)- still don't understand how folks do it- spend all that money and tow around small children all week.
Outstanding restaurant (Son'z) right on a lagoon with swans, flamingos, and waterfall. Also the full buffet (wow) breakfast is there. Great Spa.
Suggestion- when booking- have concierge book restaurants.
If you have the $$ get a full ocean view room- terrific view.

Room Tip: Get a full ocean view room- worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Your feedback in regards to your recent stay at our resort is greatly appreciated. It sounds like you had an amazing experience. I am glad you found the amenities to be perfect and the staff to be wonderful. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Son’z. They offer a delicious buffet with several options for guests to choose from. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!