“Great hotel and pretty cool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

and 1 more site!
You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“Great hotel and pretty cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

One of the nicest hotels I've stayed in.

Travelled with my wife to Maui after a week in Honolulu. After a decent cab ride ( better off hiring a car) we arrived at the Hyatt Maui. Greeted by friendly staff and helpful.

Room was a little dated but didn't need to stay to stay in the room for long based on the facilities at the hotel. Golf course. Shopping. Great pools. A cave bar you can swim to and a fun water-slide, the lava tube!

Restaurants were fine and staff were good.

Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: View of the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Your recommendation is our biggest compliment! Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa for your stay. I’m thrilled that you found the staff to be very friendly and the amenities to be very good. I hope that we can welcome you back to our resort in the future. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Somerset, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in January 2013 and I was very impressed with the cleanliness and beauty of this facility. Great hotel lobby with adjacent shops. The service was always friendly and attentive. The rooms were clean and modern and my room looked out over the resort pools. The pool area is very large and has a lot for every member of the family. I thought the beach chairs around the pool were a little too crowded so on the last day of my stay I rented a beachside cabana.....Wow!!!...I wish I had done that before my last day. You get a lot more privacy, a reserved seat and a waiter who stops by and brings you fruit and water. Very much worth it in my opinion. The view from the Cabanas are unobstructed looking out to the ocean. All in all I had a wonderful time there and would highly recommend to anyone traveling to Maui. Although there are some good restaurants on site please try one of Maui's great restaurants on at least one night. There are so many good places to eat on Maui that you don't want to be limited to one hotel. Aloha!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a wonderful account of your stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our Cabana's. We too feel they are a great value and appreciate your kind comments. Please let us know when you are ready to make your next reservation. We are more than happy to assist in making for another enjoyable vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property again soon! - Ryan
Wingham, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

After a long flight to Oahu, a short inter-island flight and then a long transfer to the hotel, it was a sight to behold! Beauty surrounded us and took our breaths away.
Valets and bellmen very helpful, and staff at checkin offered cold bottled water which was gratefully accepted after a long day.
3 nights not enough to relax here and also see all of the island, could have done with an extra day. My Hawaii, our agents, did well in picking this chain for our stay. Very happy, as hotel extremely busy but it did not seem that way as service in all respects was exceptional. Concierge did a great job sorting a couple of minor issues with no fuss.
Best breakfast anywhere!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha wingirl58!

Thank you for taking a moment to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed relaxing with us after your long flight! Our employees will be recognized for the helpful service you experienced from your arrival with our Valet attendants, to your departure with our Front Desk associates. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Hawaii. Your referral is greatly appreciated!

Mahalo!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were staying at another Maui hotel and were having such a good time that we changed our airfare home by 3 days without checking for hotel availability. Alas, our hotel was booked and even though we checked every hotel on the west side of the island, there were only 2 with rooms, and the other one was over $500/night. So we ended up at the Hyatt. We were not told that there was a large construction project on site, and that the equipment would start up at 7:30 each morning right outside our window. There was nothing we could do, and they know it. I hate the feeling of being taken advantage of.

That feeling also prevailed when trying to enjoy food or drink on site. 2 frozen drinks by the pool was almost $30. They charged $5 for 2 piece of white bread toast. We ended up just leaving for every meal.

Having said that: The rooms are beautiful, the grounds are beyond spectacular, and you're on Maui. All of that makes the rip-off almost worthwhile.

Room Tip: Stay in the central tower or on the Tower on the south side. Construction next to the north tower wi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha uptowngirl57!

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We understand there are quite a few different dining options for our guests to enjoy as we are quite close to Whaler's Village. We hope to have the opportunity to bring you back for another relaxing stay.

Mahalo!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for half of our honeymoon, and I think we both agree that we wish we had spent the entire time here! This hotel is absolutely incredible - from the staff (which was absolutely amazing), to the views, to the beautiful grounds, it has it all. We took in pretty much all the hotel has to offer with the exception of the spa (which we just simply ran out of time to experience). The short walk down to Whaler's Village is the perfect distance and gave us the opportunity to really soak in the view of the ocean to its fullest. Our room was a full ocean view in the Napili tower and we had a view of the ocean, the resort, the pool area, and the mountains in the distance - absolutely incredible. The room itself was perfectly updated, clean, and spacious. Japengo has an incredible menu - especially the sushi which was some of the best we have ever had. We loved going to the pool - which was fairly crowded, but came as no surprise since I can't imagine anyone that wouldn't want to be there! We loved going to the beach - which, by contrast to the pool, was not crowded at all. We laid out in a hammock one night enjoying the stars and crashing of the waves on the beach. I could go on and on, but this place was all we could think of when we arrived home from Hawaii. We will definitely be going back as soon as we can, and good job to Hyatt for providing and maintaining such an amazing resort along Kaanapali Beach! Mahalo!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. Congratulations on you recent nuptials. We are honored you chose our location while on you honeymoon. It gives me great pride reading your kind comments on our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! - Ryan
Barrington, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here 2/14/13-2/25/13. Our group was my husband and 2 kids (ages 7 and 3). The drive from the airport was easy and fairly close (but you do not hear planes at the hotel at all). We knew we were going during peak "whale season", but we sure didn't know we'd see them from the shore very, very frequently. As we drove along the highway that bordered the shoreline, we must have seen 10 or 12 whales breaching! That has nothing to do with the hotel, but I was just so impressed, I had to put it in the review :)

When we arrived, the valet happily took our bags from the car and handed them off to the bellman, We went in to register - went very smoothly (I even got a lei). Our bellman took us to our room - we were in a Partial Oceanview room, but I would actually call it an oceanview - we had more than a partial view, as well as a nice view of the grounds and kids pool. The bellman was full of information for us, very pleasant and, as it happened, was actually from Rhode Island! I had pre-ordered some snacks for us - fruit plate and cookies a milk for the kids - as I knew we'd be tired from our crazy-long flight. These were not delivered to our room when we arrived, as I had specified (and paid for). The snacks came after we'd already ordered room service - no real explanation from the staff as to why this happened. Room-service is expensive (as expected - room service is always expensive) and has little to offer. Disappointing.

The next day - and most days thereafter - we went to breakfast at the Son'Z Restaurant in the hotel. Beautiful setting with open air floor plan, swans swimming right up to the edge of the restaurant, waterfall - what a great way to start the day! The food is buffet style, and pretty much what you'd expect. The only items we'd not see at the usual buffet were super fresh pineapple and fresh fresh banana bread. Yum! Service at the restaurant was great - happy, helpful staff.

The lobby is open air with beautiful plants all around. There are residents in the lobby as well: parrots (R2-D2 and Luna were my kids' favorites), a cockatoo, and penguins! On property, we also encountered flamingos and a crested African crane (Spike). So that's pretty cool. There are numerous shops in the main hallway, all offering clothing, Hawaiian quilts, Hawaiian art, etc. There is also a "general store" that features items you may have forgotten to bring, as well as little souvieniers, cold drinks, snacks, and wine, beer and spirits. You pay a hefty premium for this convienence, so you may want to drive a couple blocks down the road to the Safeway supermarket - way cheaper.

Pools are great, nice and clean. Freezing cold, which was surprising with the 80 plus degree days we had. Waterfalls, a grotto with a bar, plenty of chairs. Of course, there was the usual "resort musical chairs" with the saving of chairs with towels. The staff try to discourage this by taking towels away from any unoccupied chair after 1 hour, but I never saw this happen. The waterslide is wicked awesome, and I highly recommend it! Kids pool was nice and shallow, with a little sand area in the middle, built-in toys that squirt water, and a water pad. Our 3 year old was in heaven!

Here's where it gets sketchy. Weeks before the trip, I booked a couple excursions and a spa treatment on the Hyatt Maui's website. I liked that because everything would be set and paid for in advance There was no mention of needing to download vouchers, call anyone to confirm, etc. Since we didn't know exactly where we were supposed to meet the snorkel boat, my husband went to the concierge desk on our second or third day there. He was told that these were all booked through Expedia, and it's our problem that we hadn't printed the vouchers. I've used Expedia extensively, and I've purchased excursions through that site. I know to print the vouchers and have them with us when we go do the excursion. The Hyatt Maui hotel website gave no indication that I was booking through another entity; it appeared that everything was booked directly through the hotel. My husband was a little upset (read: apoplectic) about this. So, after MUCH discussion, and many telephone calls, it was determined that I actually had booked through Expedia after all. The hotel outsources the "extras" provided for purchase on their website to Expedia, but they hide it very well such that it appears completely seamless to the customer. Thanks to a very helpful and charming woman at the concierge desk, we finally figured out that whomever was handling this for Expedia screwed up and never sent me the email with the necessary links to download the vouchers. If it weren't for Ute (an employee of Expedia, not Hyatt) at the concierge desk we would have never sorted this out. She was so dedicated to making sure we were all set that she even walked to the pool to hand-deliver the vouchers to us -- with a broken ankle in a cast! Cheers to her!

Another issue we encountered was with the housekeeping staff. All very nice and helpful, but not prompt. We had to call to have our room made up on ten days out of the twelve we stayed at the hotel. One particularly annoying day of was when our was room not made up until 5. This was after we called housekeeping several times. The following day we were told by the housekeeping supervisor that our room would be done every day at 10 or close to it, and apologized for the difficulties we experienced. My husband and I then performed a little experiment: one of us would go to the room every hour or so starting at 11:30 (we wanted to give them a head start) to see if anyone had cleaned it. When it hadn't been done by 3:00, we called. Apologies all around, and "your room will be done by 10 am each day". We got a bottle of wine and some crackers for our frustration (I guess - they just appeared in our room one day), but that's all. And the room still wasn't done timely!

While we were staying there, the hotel experienced a water main break outside hotel grounds that affected several hotels along the beach. We were without water for most of the day. It was kind of a drag to deal with, but certainly not the fault of the hotel Everyone received a credit for that day, which was not necessary, but a nice gesture.

The luau was pretty good. Not as good as I remembered it from 10 years ago - before kids! - but still entertaining. The spa was nice. Super pricey, though, and the esthetician I had for my facial was both a chatterbox and not as knowledgeable about skincare as I would have thought. Oh, well. Watersports are run well and the employees are fun and helpful - my son loved Snuba, and would have gone every day if he could have! I know the water sports staff is separate from the hotel, but they're awesome! Valet staff could not have been more helpful - always asking if we needed directions or giving us tips about the various activities available on the island.

Overall, not up to the standards I expected from a Hyatt hotel, and especially one in a location such as this. My husband and I stayed in Ka'anapali Beach 10 years ago and remember this hotel to be much nicer than it is now. I would recommend the hotel to anyone, but I don't think we'll be back.

Room Tip: "Partial Oceanview" in the Na'apili Tower are basically oceanview! Beds are pretty un...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review of our resort. It’s great to hear that when you arrived you were greeted by our friendly valet and bell staff. I appreciate your comments regarding the room service and housekeeping. Please know that I have forwarded your comments to our management team so we can ensure future guests do not have the same experience. Your feedback is very important as we use it to continue and improve the service offered to our guests. I hope that we can have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to our resort.

Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I first stayed here in 1986; I remember the lobby just took my breath away. It is still just as beautiful.
When you drive up you are greeted by extremely friendly bellman and valets. Check-in can take a few minutes as this is very large facility, but well-staffed. You are given leis and water as a nice touch.
We were upgraded to their club level on the 20th floor with a stunning view of the ocean. The rooms are nice, but as other reviewers have pointed out, it is time for an update. There are drawers and cabinets in the bathroom; why don't all hotels do this??
The fitness center is outstanding; one of the best we have ever seen in a hotel.
The AC struggled a bit on our west facing room.
We did not eat here this time, but walking distance to Whaler's Village is a nice one mile walk away for food or shopping.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for returning to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I’m thrilled that you had a great experience at our resort. It sounds like you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your Regency Club room. The Regency Club offers guests complimentary breakfast, snacks throughout the day, and evening hors d'oeuvres and cocktails. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!