“mixed feelings / all in all ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine On Sale
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Geneva2009
“mixed feelings / all in all ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Location ok (close to a few golf courses) / about 1 hour from airport.
Pool usually crowded. Despite resort charge (usual rip-off) you pay for self parking, umbrellas, etc
breakfast excellent (buffest in swan garden). be careful when choosing room. go and check before you accept the room.
maid service mixed. however management takes care once you indicate problems.
all in all not hyatt standard, but for hawaii a good hotel for business and holidays.
Great fitness room (about 5 minutes walk from certain rooms).
Luau as usual in Hawaii overpriced (in particular as the food you get is very average...)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
cld6784, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Aloha Geneva2009:
Mahalo for your comments on your recent stay at the resort! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Swan Court and the Spa Moana Athletic Club! We're sorry to hear that you felt our Luau was overpriced and have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverage staff. We hope to see you again in Maui soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a beautiful resort, with a lobby area to die for with little penguins swimming around and the parrots sitting amongst the trees and shrubs make it feel more like a tropical paradise than a hotel.
Rooms are clean and well maintained, we had a suite and were very pleased with it. Views out to the ocean were magnificent with another balcony to the side.
The pool area is clean, fun and well maintained and the staff were exceptionally helpful especially when I lost an item in the water one day. They went out of their way to help me find it despite it being a very busy day at the pool. Cant thank them enough, and I left good feedback for the staff concerned whilst I was there.
Breakfast is lovely and worth paying the extra for although queues can get a bit long at prime time. Choose to have breakfast really early or late to avoid this. The men operating the egg station deserve medals, consistently well presented/ tasty food, despite the huge demand, and they're friendly too.
Only reason i didn't give the hotel 5 out of 5 was for the checkin process. It was poor.
First impression, and we all know how that matters.........was arrival from Australia to finally reach destination and then have to wait in a 40 min queue to check in! There appeared to be many check in desks available but only 2 were staffed (and a special diamond service checkin desk) and the checkin process for each customer seemed to be the slowest I've ever encountered. it didn't help that to the side of the queue were 4-5 bellboy type staff standing doing nothing, just waiting to transport bags to rooms, but nobodies room appeared to be ready? TEACH THEM TO CHECK IN PLEASE
I know every hotel can have busy periods and I wouldn't have mentioned this except that EVERY time you went to speak to reception about anything, you had to be prepared for a long wait in a queue. So that part didn't feel like a 5 star experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha Akh255060,
Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. It sounds like you had a great vacation enjoying our wildlife,guest rooms and views, and breakfast buffet! I'm sorry to hear about your experience at check in - I have shared your feedback with our Rooms Division.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Its funny, but sometimes a nice experience can be marred (particularly in retrospect) by small things.
Average maybe isn't fair here - the Hotel itself is Very Good, but the below explains why I haven't rated the overall experience as that;

1. They charge you for self parking here. I mean, really?! They have acres and acres of space yet charge you to park a vehicle here knowing that you have no other choice once you've arrived. Its not a lot (I think $15 a day) but I found this instantly annoying, particularly as its not mentioned beforehand. I get paying for Valet but not self park - not in an already expensive Hotel. Weirdly - it MADE an expensive hotel seem cheap, and 'grabby'.

2. Breakfast. If you don't want to stuff yourself with endless buffets - forget it. There are 2 main restaurants. Both Buffets. We don't like a massive breakfast, particularly not when its hot - so the choice was either to pay $26 + tax for a bagel, each, at a buffet or join a big starbucks queue for their food (which a loathe and avoid at all costs). Again, not great. Why not just make one restaurant non-buffet. We avoided this in the end by going to the self service buffet and paying for one person and just taking the tray to our cabana. I don't mind at all paying for good food - we ate at some wonderful restaurants whilst on our trip - what I don't like is being needlessley ripped off - and this felt like it.

3. Cabanas. $70 a day with service - which is fine, pretty good actually. However - again - they used 2 servers - one for food and one for drinks - so you ended up having to constantly double tip. It sounds petty perhaps - but I felt like this Hotel was constantly trying to empty my wallet. If you don't keep an eye on them you could check out with a massive hole in that wallet! Food was good though - lots of choice. Drinks were expensive in comparison to others on the Island.

This sounds like I didnt enjoy my stay - I really did, I just felt like I had to be on my guard with charges quite a lot. There were also random mini bar charges on my account when I left that I hadn't made - so CHECK THIS!! Also - 2 mistakes were made on my receipts to the tune of $50 from the restaurants @ the Hotel - again small but annoying.

The Hotel is nice, the lobby is AMAZING - its just had a $2m refit and now has Penguins, Flamingos, Parrots in it, and a restaurant with a view to die for - get a sunset reservation and you won't regret it. Make sure you request Ocean View when you BOOK - we did, and when we checked in, lots of people were trying to upgrade ut there were no more rooms available - and the views really were lovely.

The Hotel is also connected by a fire-lit walkway to other hotels - Marriott/Astor etc... Its quite nice to walk along on an evening and pick up a drink from each one - like a Hawaian bar crawl!

Lots of nice live music - acoustic performances and so on and extremely well equipped without looking corporate/

So a great Hotel but one that needs to stop playing Pickapocket!

Room Tip: Don't even consider a non Ocean view or partial Ocean view - you're in Hawaii!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
cld6784, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear CJJamieson:
Mahalo for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. We're glad you thought the hotel was very good, but are disappointed to hear about the issues you had regarding billing with self-parking, cabanas, pool service, and the mini bar. We hope all of these issues were resolved while you were on property.
Please know that we do have (2) options for a la carte breakfast - in our Swan Court Restaurant even though we have an extensive breakfast buffet, we do offer a full a la carte menu. Also, our Halona Kai coffee shop offers an a la carte continental breakfast as well.
We do often hear enthusiastic comments regarding our Japengo restaurant with the sunset views and our wildlife.
We hope the next time you are on Maui, you choose the Hyatt Regency Maui for your stay.
NEW MILFORD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Gee where to start.... I did read a lot of review before staying - I had mixed feelings but hoped for the best. It is difficult to give one overall rating because of so many different aspects of the Hyatt.

Granted, the hotel is a little dated in appearance, say, compared to some of the 'newer' hotels along the walk to the other side of Kaanapali... and changing the structural appearance of the hotel (or any hotel) would be impossible, but with that said, the Hyatt Regency is spotless!! There are many items a hotel can not change, i.e., the location, beach size, room sizes, etc., that most other people commented on, but with what they do have control over, i.e., cleanliness, staff, condition/maintenance, etc. were all first-rate!

The check-in was seamless; the valet greeted us warmly as did Jenny at check-in. I opted for valet parking - a nice treat - and ALWAYS found them to be absolutely friendly, cordial and warm... and ALWAYS asked when leaving if we needed directions, etc. Then when returning sometimes multiple times per day, a warm welcome back was always extended by the valet men. Our ton of bags almost beat us to the room... well, about 2 minutes after we walked into the room anyway. Again, the bellman was wonderful and courteous!

The room was as anyone would expect - spotless! We were there for 7 days and from the first day to the last, we always returned to our room just like when we first arrived!! OH - we had a problem with the toilet which almost overflowed.... I called the front desk and they sent someone up from 'engineering' who arrived immediately - he must have sprinted! He fixed the problem with a smile.

We also opted for the breakfast buffet for the 4 of us. Yes, it was a bit expensive even when included in your room, but, lets just say we never returned to our room without feeling anything less than stuffed up to our eyeballs. The greeters, waiters/waitresses are charming, happy and lovely to meet each morning. Yes, the line for the buffet becomes long somewhat early, so we just arrived each day by 7 - 7:15 and were always seated immediately - never a problem. Yes the food would be less expensive if we hauled ourselves into Lahaina, etc. but hey - it's a vacation - live a little and treat yourself!

Being there with 2 children was not a problem as I did noticed many guests with several children - it is a very child-friendly resort with nice child-friendly pool areas. Yes the chairs fill up quickly around the pools so you have to be a little pro-active about that too, but it shouldn't be a surprise since you are in MAUI - at a RESORT.... the best lounges around the pool WILL fill-up quickly!!

We didn't eat lunch/dinner on the property because we opted to go out and explore most days, but the walk up to Whaler's Village is more than pleasant and don't discount Mr. Subs if you want something less expensive - my wife and I had to split my sub between the two of us because it was so big... and very good! Also try Pasta and Fish (Fish and Pasta?) - also VERY good at reasonable prices. (Disclaimer - I work in Manhattan, so Maui prices didn't surprise/scare me.)

SOOOO if you do your research, there should be no surprise that the beach is very minimal behind the resort.... nor the resort/parking fee which is charged when you check-out.... nor that the property is about 25+ years old.... or what the room sizes are, etc. - it's all there for anyone one curious enough to look before dropping 8 - 10K on a week's vacation in Maui!

Mahalo!

Room Tip: We were in Room 322 - a quiet location, close to the water/kids pool. We never heard any noise at a...
Aloha John N:
We appreciate your review of the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa! We are thrilled you had a seamless check in, enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel, and the full breakfast buffet each day! We often hear enthusiastic comments that our hotel is kid-friendly! Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel appearance - we have shared with the Management Team. We hope the next time you are on Maui, you return to HRM!
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The hotel was good, not spectacular. We checked in at 7pm and they had to call for a room which we didn't understand but was fine. The gentleman said he almost had to tell us to wait for a room. We couldn't get a late checkout when we left so we didn't understand why we would have had to wait for a room at 7pm. $14/day to self park is ridiculous. The spots are ridiculously tight and were driving a Focus. Some people just ignorantly take up two spaces leaving less for everyone else. Our room was just okay. For some reason we were in a handicapped room though it wasn't necessary or requested. This wasn't much of a problem for us we just hope that someone else didn't need it. I'm not sure about the other rooms but in this room there wasn't much of a vanity area. We were celebrating our anniversary so they gave us complimentary champagne which was nice. The buffet was pretty much the same everyday and was just ok. Be prepared to wait 25 minutes to be seated unless you are there before 7:30am. One day we just left because we didn't feel like waiting that long. The birds are pretty bad at this hotel. We didn't have time to use the pool or other facilities but the grounds were nice. The location was nice also. Definitely take a walk down the walkway outside the property to the other hotels and restaurants. Sunset was great here. Lastly, we came from two other Hyatt properties that gave 2 complimentary bottles of water each day but not here. There are no perks for Hyatt passport members which is disappointing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Krissy1222:
Mahalo for your recent review regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I'm sorry to hear about the delay getting your room during check in and being placed in an ADA room. Thank you for your feedback regarding our parking spots - we are currently repaving our lot and our Swan Court Breakfast Buffet - we have shared with our Management Team. We're glad you enjoyed the champagne for your anniversary! We hope the next time you are on Maui, you stay with us again!
Munster, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

First of all, I would like to start by stating that I am a loyal Hyatt customer. I have been a gold passport diamond member for the last 5 years, own a Hyatt Residence Club, and use a Hyatt credit card regularly. Unfortunately, I had a very negative transaction with the Hyatt Regency Maui recently. We used points and booked an Ocean Suite for a week. After arriving, we realized it was way to small for a family of four. It also only had one, very undesized bathroom. when we brought in the rollaway bed, it was actually a fire hazard, as the door access was impeded. The hotel did a good job of recognizing the problem and they were able to move us to two adjoining, standard rooms (with a connecting door). As a result, our accomodations were greatly improved. We ended up with more than enough room. Our two teenage children had their own room with two twin beds and we had an adjoining room with a king and the rooms had a connecting door. The stay itself was very good. The property is nice and despite it being early August, we found all aspects of the stay very positive. The pool was a bit crowded, so if you can swing it, I would definitely recommend renting one of the cabanas which are $60/day.

Unfortunately, the reason I am writing a very negative review is because the Hyatt Regency Maui did not live up to a verbal agreement between myself and the property manager. As a result of the bad experience with the suite, they moved us to the two adjoining rooms (as I mentioned earlier). However, they also specifically stated that it would be done for the same amount of points as I would have spent on the suite. Unfortunately, when I got home, I realized they did not do this, charged us significantly more points than we agreed to and are now claiming they have no records of the incident. Very disappointed with the lack of ethics displayed by the management of this property...

Aloha NWIndianaBBFan:
I have been researching your comments above and it has come to my attention that the issues you are referring to above has now been resolved. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Mahalo!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 10 nights in a regency club room. The staff in the club is amazing. They are kind and knowledgeable, there is nothing they can't tell you about the island! My children loved the chocolate chip cookies. The pool can be crowded but if you plan ahead and rent the cabanas or hale tents early it is wonderful. We had the vacation of a lifetime!

• Stayed August 2012
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I am excited to read that you and your family had a fantastic stay at our resort. It sounds like you really enjoyed the Regency Club lounge. The Regency Club is a great feature we offer our guests. The lounge provides stunning views over Kaanapali beach and includes continental breakfast buffet, mid-day service, and in the evening complimentary hot and cold hors d’oeuvres. It’s great to know that we were able to make your vacation one to remember. We hope to welcome you back to our resort on your next visit to Maui. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!