“Great family vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Nohea Kai Drive, Kaanapali Beach Resort, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-1985   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine On Sale
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edwardsburg, MI
“Great family vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

We took our entire family to Maui for our 25th anniversary in June 2007 and it was a great time had by all. I always read trip advisor reviews before booking any trip and value the information so decided it was time to write one of my own.
There were 8 adults and 1 two year old vacationing. We had 4 king rooms in the same tower but we were on two different floors. It would have been nicer if we could have all been on the same floor but at least two families were close together. We did finally get two rooms joining which helped with the toddler being able to have a little more roaming room. The only problem we incurred was we were to have all king rooms and upon arrival one of the roooms was double beds. They could not find another king room that day in the same tower so that family had to wait until the next day to be moved. I do have a concern that we booked this a year in advance with this request and they apparently do not take into consideration any of that when selecting rooms. I will agree with all the other reviews in that the furniture is very niched up. They were remodeling the lobby floor while we were there including painting and carpet. There were some workers during the day but it appeared much of work was done during the night.
The grounds are beautiful and my daughter and I walked down the beach through many of the other hotel grounds and we felt we made the best hotel choice. There is a kids pool area and our grandson loved being there. Many days we could not get him off the water slide. The beach is small but room for our grandson to play in the sand. The wider part of the beach if at the other end by the Sheraton. We walked there one day but our family enjoys the pools. We never had any days where we could not find enough pool chairs for the entire family. We always liked to be by one of the trees for shade so the baby could nap out of the sun and we all could still enjoy the sun and pool.
The breakfast at Swan Court is very good. Like any other buffet many of the choices are the same daily but they did try and have a few different times on it. Our rooms were booked with breakfast for two included (Sunshine special). The pool side restaurant had good choices and family visited frequently.
Whaler Village is a nice walk down the beach and we visited the shops and restaurants there also. Great shopping so allow some time one day for this. Some of our group didn't realize all that was there and on the last day before flights were rushing to get some shopping in.
We also went to Front Street on several nights and there is a nice selection of restaurants there also. Go early as they all have long wait times during the dinner hours. With a little one waiting didn't always work for us.
As far as parking we always just went to the back of the hotel by the luau entrance and even with two cars we always found a parking spot and there are elevators in that lower lobby area which made taking a stroller up very easy.
Our daughter had read about the natural pool in one of the booklets and four of us ventured off to it. We all had a blast. You have to climb down some rocks to get there and even grandma made it down and back up.
Since this was a anniversary trip I wanted family photos and we did this with the photographer that was at the hotel and we had a great experience. You can get all the pictures on a CD and they even made four so each family could take one back.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Pool and grounds
  • Disliked — Furniture needs updated in hotel rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (788)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

Thought the service was great, the food was overpriced and bad, and the cleanliness overall was good. Don't know if I would personally stay at this particular Hyatt again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cork ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

my wife and i visited maui for 6 nights as part of our honeymoon which started in san francisco and ended in waikiki. thankfully we went in this order as we may have been disappointed slightly.

First of all i have to say that we walked a couple of times down the entire beach and the hyatt has the nicest grounds and facilities in the area.

The beach area is small in front but 30 yards to the right in front of the spa area is fine and big. We never had a problem getting a lounger at pool on the days when it wsnt raining and here in lies the problem. Once it is raining there is actually nothing to do but eat and drink.

We were there during really bad weather when it was recommended we dont even leav the hotel for our own safety. Now i know the weather is beyond the hotels control but amenities are something they can fix. Fot example i knew in advance of the resort charge for tennis etc. but how can they charge for these if it is physically impossible to use them on their recommendation.

For the money they charge they could easily fit in there huge grounds a covered pool and sports area.

Roomwise the rooms were lovely just a little worn little scratches here and there.(no lcd tv for $600 a night???) Maids were lovely even got a thank you note for a tip i left(little touches) which actually cheered me up while it rained.

We did have a little problem with the front desk when we arrived they charged $300 to our credit card (for incidentals but didnt tell us). When we went to use our credit card in few shops it was declined as our bank thought it was being misused as a $300 charge twice appeared half way across the world. thankfully they remedied this by removed a lot of our in room charges.

Whatever u do make sure u get the breakfast included in your package.(what a breakfast!!!) Every morning we started with cereal, then a buffet grill and an omlette then a pastry or muffin. you wont have to eat til dinner again.

We only eat dinner once in the hotel on S'onz our final night and it was the best meal i ate on the entire holiday in all three locations.

Overall with a little tlc and a slight reduction in price this place could be brilliant and headng towards 5 star but until then 4 out of five but it is still the best in the area.

• Liked — amazing pool
  • Disliked — resort charge
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt January 11-18th. We were on the third (and final) leg of our honeymoon and had just come from the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. While I tried not to compare the two hotels, it makes it easier to notice the subtle differences that would have made this hotel a 5.

Pros:
We stayed in the Napili tower (from the lobby you go to the right). (FYI -there are three tower - the Center one is the Atrium and it has the lobby, one to the left (if you are in the lobby looking at the ocean) is the Lahaina tower, and the one to the right is the Napili tower. We stayed in a Partial Ocean view - and in my opinion they could have sold it as an ocean view -- room 808. (we checked out some partial ocean views in the Atrium tower - not as nice a view).

The wildlife is fantastic -- there are 5 penguins, 2 african cranes, and number of flamingos and swans! Hands down the best part!

Service was always friendly and accommodating -- although not always competent.

Food (has both pros and cons - so I gave it its own category)

Meals were great. I especially likes Son'z. It isnt cheap, but the drinks were STRONG and the waiter was good. You can share any meal w/o a charge -- and its big enough for two. For example -- My wife and i split the mahi-mahi which came with mashed potatoes and asparagus. we each got our own plate with a potatoes veggies and a pc of fish.

We ate twice at Cascades and it is ok, although like everything, overpriced.

The biggest con is the fruit flies -- especially at the buffet breakfast. While all the food tasted good. To me there is something disgusting about seeing flies over everything - including the plates. I did ask a waiter about this and she said it should get better in a couple of months. Had I directly paid for the breakfast I would have been irrate! (but i didn't -so i just grabbed boxes of cereal and was happy)

Cons:
Nothing that negative, but the person at the front desk was new -- so she had absolutely no authority. When i inquired about upgrading rooms, she had to keep going in the back to find out the answer. I just dont get why that person in the back wouldnt come out.

The resort fee is ridiculous. There are 0 amenities actually included with it (unlike in Kauai where at least to valet parking is free). It's actually kind of insulting that they list a newspaper and in-room coffee as stuff you get for the free-- when its free for Gold (basic) Passport members! (valet parking is $12/night -- come on!)

The So-So's:

The pool was ok, but not that impressive. The water slide is a nice touch, but if you are in beautiful hawaii why make it a completely inclosed dark tunnel? The lounges by the pool are comfortable, but you will get to know your neighbor VERY well since they are so close to one another. The artwork throughout the lobby is mismatched and some what in disrepair. (I took the art and garden tour of the hotel --not worth the 20mins -- and the guide pointed it out).

Valuable tip -- There are two convenience stores inside the hotel (Lamonts) and you can get a bottle of soda there for $2 while its 3.50 at the pool. You can also buy single bottles of beer there for 2.50 - instead of the $6-7 at the pool. Just pour it into a cup and you will be fine. Think about -- you can drink 3x as much for the same cost (plus no need to tip anyone).

Overall

If they clean up there act a bit -- this could easily be a primo resort. (just do something about the fruit flies - like cover the food so they do get on it)

• Liked — The Wildlife
  • Disliked — The fruit flies
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
S.W. Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

The grounds were the best. We walked to Blackrock, took an hour to walk all the way there. Nice view and exercise. There is a side walk all the way between the Hotels and Ocean. At the Hyatt, the birds, gardens, waterfalls, pool, were the most beautiful. Yes the hotel looks a little used inside, but the trees and gardens were the lushest because of the age, definitly the most beautiful we have ever seen. The bed in the room was very comfortable. They kept the bathroom stocked every day when they cleaned with lotion, shampoo, conditions and bath gel from the spa, smelled really good.
We got the free breakfast at Swan Court, would have been $68.00 for the two of us. That was a GREAT choice! It was the Best Breakfast I ever had all week. The biggest variety I have ever seen. Fresh made to order omeletts, bacon, sausages, fish, oatmeal, soups, yogart parfait, donuts, french toast, eggs benidics, fried potatoes, muffins, bisquits, pineapples, juices, milks, coffees, watermelons, kiwi, bagels, donuts, cakes, and soooo much more.... they open at 6:30am, since it was like 10:30 to us, it felt like we slept in, then we would pig out, we would not be hungry again till it was dinner time. We ate at SPRATS TRATTORIA at the Hotel, my husband said it was the best meal he ever had. (he travels alot) We ate at Cascades Grill at the Hotel, It was Great! We ate at the Son'z at Swan Court, all place were delicious! We went to the Drums of Pacif Luau at the Hotel, Great! We went to The Feast at LeLe, a Luau in Lahaina...GREAT, a little more romantic, because you are at a table by yourselves and they have fire dancers at both Luaus, if I could only go to one I would pick the Feast at LeLe because they give you a big flower Lei and they have professional Photographers to take pictures, so you might want to dress up, they were 3 for 45.00 and up.
We did a deep tissue massage at the Spa Mona, very good.
When you drive the Road to Hana, (a must) Stop at the Shell Service Station on the right just before the Hana Hwy (Rt. 36), one mile before the airport and get the Hana CD Guide. It cost $20 and it was well worth it because they tell you history and he tells you what you are looking at. It also comes with a movie of the trip. Go all the way to the Pipiwai Trail, Hike up to the Waimoku Falls, 400' waterfall (largest waterfall in Maui) The bamboo forest during the hike up was the best!
We did a Horse Back Ride and Bar-B-Q at Mendes Ranch, Beautiful. We drove back the long way along the coast, the scariest roads I ever road on, but beautiful and fun. All and all it was the best week of our lives and it was celebrating our 25th anniversary. Which the hotel gave us a bottle of Champane free when we asked.
The Groto Bar under the waterfall at the pool had the best Lava Flow, it was like a frest Strawberry drink with icecream sooo yummy.
All the people working there were so friendly... we were so happy and loved everything.
My advice on souvenirs, go to the Wal-Mart, they had a counter in their jewelry department with Hawaiian Jewelry that they don't have in the states, I got the cutest ring 14K gold that is a flower with a diamond in the center for only $59.00 every time I look at it I smile and think of my vacation, I can also wear it on my toe!
They also had T-shirts, photo albums that said "Hawaian Vacation" they were $15.00, they were $19.00 at the Hotel.

• Liked — gardens, pool, breakfast at swan court
  • Disliked — how i had to ask for a flower and shell lei when checked in and a free bottle of champane for our 25th 5 nights later, kept waiting
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Westchester County, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt in Maui after coming from the Hyatt in Kauai for our Honeymoon. I wrote a review to that one too if you are interested. The hotel is on Kaanapali beach. A 10 minute drive to Lahania and Front Street. Upon arrival we were escorted to the front desk. Since it also happed to be my birthday they gave us a Hawaiian style photo album. Really nice touch. The grounds are beautiful with tropical flowers and nice landscaping, birds, fish ponds, flamingoes, penguins. We got an ocean front room in the atrium tower (middle one). It was ocean front indeed. It felt like you could touch the ocean. The balconies are very small. Just enough room for 2 chairs and a small table. The beach is very narrow, in some places not even wide enough for a beach towel. I guess that's why they put a lot of money into the pool. The pool was huge. It had waterfalls, water slide, caves, pool side bar. Not actually a swim up. They had lots of chairs some with canopies so you didn't have to roast in the sun if you didn't want to. They were so close together and they were pretty full each day. They had women serve drinks and food to you chair. The breakfast which was included was similar to the breakfast at the Hyatt in Kauai. It had anything you could want. There was something there for everyone. We ate at the sushi and steak restaurant (i forget the name) for my birthday dinner. I really liked it because I like sushi and and husband won't touch it. he's a steak lover. The next night we had champagne and fruit delivered to the room. The fruit actually made me sick later in the night. I think it may have been the yogurt dip. We got a couples massage next to the beach. It was ok. I would have liked it if the huts were futher away from the people lounging by the pool. The spa in Kauai was way nicer. All in all we enjoyed out time at the Hyatt in Maui. Hey you are in Maui, what's not to like?

• Liked — location, grounds
  • Disliked — narrow beach
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

We went to the Hyatt Regency in Maui and it was pretty close to paradise. The room was smallish for the 4 of us but that was not the fault of the hotel.

The hotel supplied us with extra cots, micro wave and mini fridge.
Once we got over the fact that everything was an extra charge and accepted that we had a great time.

The food was excellent and our kids were busy planning on how to make us miss our flight and stay.

I recommend the star show/ telescope. It was not crowded and it was a great experience both for us and the kids. The other thing we did was the snorkeling trip on the catamaran. That was great and we rented snorkeling gear and snorkeled the rest of the time we were in Hawaiil

It was my first and so far only time in Hawaii and it was wonderful.

Stayed July 2006

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!