“This Place was Awesome! :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Upcountry Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kula
Upcountry Bed and Breakfast
You added Upcountry Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
4925 Lower Kula Road, Kula, Maui, HI 96790   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Kula B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, CA
“This Place was Awesome! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three wonderful nights. We had a blast! It was our first trip to Maui, and we both were pretty skeptical about staying so far away from the "main" Maui areas, but afterwards we do not regret our stay here at all. The view is magnificent, it is clean, the host is very courteous and helpful, the dog "Gabby" is adorable, fresh fruit for breakfast was yummy, sitting in the spa in the evening was relaxing and marvelous because you get to see so many stars, I even saw a couple shooting stars, and last but not least the nightly rate and affordable. My boyfriend and I were able to do everything we wanted on Maui, and the distance of the place did not hinder us from doing it at all. Many people would probably say that this place is probably not for young couples, but my boyfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and we loved it! This place is highly recommended for everyone no matter how old or young you are. We definitely hope to go back some day! :)

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

This is really a great place. Beautiful big rooms, high ceilings, gas fireplaces, bar, huge bathrooms and a view you would not believe. Quiet spot, great co-inn keepers, Michael and Gabby (yellow lab). A major bargain, even with rate increase later this year.

I am heading back!

Stayed March 2008
Pittsburgher at Heart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

The views from Upcountry B & B are incredibly breathtaking. The rooms are beautiful and spotless. I loved the large bathroom with a closet bigger than my closet at home. I also loved the double bowl sinks so my husband and I could get ready in the morning without getting in eachother's way. The feature that I loved the most was the high countertops in the bathroom. Michael, we are stealing your idea. It is a great idea if you have a bad back.

The town of Kula is sleepy and relaxing. It is exactly where I would want to live. It is just far away enough to escape the tourists but close enough to live the life. We recently saw a house on an HGTV show called Househunters that was in Kula right down the street from Upcountry. I kept yelling at the couple on tv how stupid they would be if they did not buy it. They did.

Kula was a five minute drive from Skyline Eco-tours which was our reason for going to Maui. We went ziplining across the forest canopy. We highly recommend it. It was great when everyone was talking about their hour or hours spent driving across the island to get there and we had only been up for about 45 minutes.

We had a large but light breakfast. It consisted of fresh pineapple, mango, papaya, strawberries and banana. It was beautifully presented along with some local pastries.

Michael is one very interesting character. He had so many unique and interesting stories to tell. He has done so much in his life. I was truly intrigued.

Michael is also very informative. He gave us great advice on things to do and see. He also gave us advice after a trip that we should not have taken. If only we had told him our plans first he said. Hindsight is always 20/20. We took the scenic tour on route 340. I truly thought we would die. Michael said he was surprised the car rental company did not tell us that we are not allowed to drive on this road if you want to call it that. It is forbidden in most contracts. Our tour book did not have that waiver.

Make sure that you make it outside to enjoy the stars and the peace and quiet at night. And by all means sleep with your door open so you can enjoy the calming breezes of Kula.

We loved Upcountry and Michael and hope to return someday. Who knows? Maybe someday we will retire to Kula and run a Bed and Breakfast. All it takes is a leap of faith, a boatload of money, a creative mind and hard work to get there. Congratulations Michael on a job well done. I will say a prayer to your father for being so wise.

• Liked — The Innkeeper. He was so interesting. The views from the lanai were incredible.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, Mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

My wife and I had a terrific time at this B & B. The panoramic view from the lanai was just part of the experience, although a gorgeous one - but you can judge for yourself from their website. The rooms are spacious, charmingly decorated, with a wet bar in the bedroom and double sinks, walk in shower, and expansive closet in the bathroom. There is a library of dvd's if you want them, but we didn't - too much else to do.
You should not miss star gazing from either the hot tub or the nearby hammock. Without city lights, the stars just pop.
The location is very convenient to Haleakala, yet just 20 minutes from the beach. There are a couple of very close by, casual restaurants and a "general store".
We had stayed in Wailea for the first part of our trip, so we had "done" the beach and were ready to experience the very different terrain of upcountry. As with any B & B, much depends on the owner/operator and in this case, you'll find a very well informed host whose insider tips on local attractions and restaurants we found to be on target without exception. (He is an architect and an artist.)
The spot is very peaceful and relaxing. If you're looking for nightlife, or the beach is your main priority, Kula is probably not for you, but if you want to experience a different aspect of Maui, you might want to check this out.
We'll definitely be back.

Stayed September 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

The Upcountry Bed and Breakfast in Kula is generally a great place, as a previous reviewer stated. I'm not sure why this is in the Trip Advisor hotel category instead of bed & breakfast. The bed in the spacious.blue room was very comfortable, Micheal, the owner, is a very gracious host, guests have plenty of quiet (due ot soundproofing) and privacy, and the outdoor spa is nice and warm with a great view. Really convenient to Mt. Haleakala. Look forward to having to opportunity to return.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Upcountry Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!