“We went there in a bicycle group” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Montreal, Canada
“We went there in a bicycle group”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We went there when we biked down the volcano with the Maui Mountain Cruisers. There is a mandatory 18% tip if you are in a bicycle group. This means the service is non-existent and you have to pay for a great service. The food is average, the potatoes have no taste and there are no fruits in the plate except for a tiny tiny slice of pineapple. We were extremely disappointed with the overall experience.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Sunrise, then convenient breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Right out of the national park makes this a great place for post sunrise breakfast. Looks newly remodeled with plenty of seating with outside options. Menu not too extensive but hits all the basics. Food was simple and the wait can be a little long. Coffee average. The location forgives most of the cafe's shortcomings though.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Good Food, Nice People”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I like the food and the vibe here and I think it's a tad under rated. Being a regular, I know how consistently good it is. I also like the family that owns the place. They are good folks doing a good business.

• Visited March 2013
OCtravelingGirl
“Hungry After Seeing the Sunrise at Haleakala? Go here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

If you are like me and woke up at 2am to see the sunrise at Haleakala, then chances are you are hungry and wanting something to warm you up! Sadly the visitors center isn't even open when you make your way down from the summit, so you head out to Kula to explore, your tummy grubmles, and you check the Yelp app for someplace to eat. Lucky for me, the nearest and well rated restaurant was Kula Sandalwoods and they were open at 7am!

My husband and I parked our car in front of the restaurant, which is also an inn, and headed upstairs to the restaurant. The server was also the owner and he was friendly and talked about his luck baking a loquat pie, which is a delicious local fruit. One of the locals came by to try it and too bad for me, it was the last piece! He said it was good, though!

I ordered the eggs benedict (no meat) with hashbrowns and fresh fruit. Delicious! Probably the best eggs benedict I have ever had! Simple and perfect yolks. My husband ordered an omelette, which was also excellent. We both had the Kona blend coffee and waited out the morning there, watching the bike riders go by, and waiting for the clock to strike 9am so we could go to the lavender farm.

If I return to Maui, I would definitely return here for breakfast. The price was right, the food was delicious, the serving size was good, the service was excellent, the bathrooms are clean, and they are open early enough for us who brave the morning sunrise!

• Visited May 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great breakefast but also great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have had breakfast at the Sandalwoods several times on different visits to Maui (my boyfriend is a paraglider and the flypark is very close). This time we decided to spend some time upcountry. We book the first and the last two nights of our trip there.

First a word on the breakfast. As somebody has mentioned, yes, the service is maybe a little slow, but if you know that they make everything themselves and that the products are from the farmers in the area, I am fine with that. And hey, you are on vacation, sit back, relax and enjoy the great view!
The owners are really nice and have always a nice word with the clients.
As somebody mentioned before, YES, they have the best Egg Benedict's I have ever had and I have tried lots and lots of Egg Benedict's! If you are the first in the morning to order Egg Benedict's it will take some time as they make their own sauce Hollandaise and it is worth the waiting time.
On every breakfast plate you will get some nice local fresh fruits, fruits that you have maybe never seen and tasted before, yummy....
They also serve a great espresso made with a Swiss espresso machine.

The Cottages are very nice and clean and have the same great view as the restaurant. As you are upcountry, expect cold nights, but in case you get too cold, there is a heater in the cottage.

We will definitely go back on our next trip, for breakfast and also to spend some nights.

• Visited March 2013