“Pleasantly Surprised.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Novi, Michigan
“Pleasantly Surprised.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I, along with our two grown kids, stayed at the Palms at Wailea 7/3 to 7/10. The complex is beautiful and is in a great location. We had a condo with a "garden view" (#607) and the reason I gave a 4 out of 5 rating was because this condo backed onto a busy intersection. It didn't prevent us from sleeping, as the traffic dies down pretty early, but it was kind of noisy in the morning when we sat out and had our coffee and breakfast. Other than that, the condo was much nicer than I anticipated. We had two bedrooms and bathrooms, each with ample towels. There were toiletries in both so you don't really need to pack those items. There was also a hairdryer in each bathroom which I really liked. The kitchen comes fully equipped and even had dishwasher detergent, dish soap and kitchen towels. We shopped at the local Safeway and bought some food, we had breakfast most days before we set off on our adventures. A couple of times we ate breakfast at a restaurant at the Shops at Wailea, which was a short drive down the road. We even cooked out on the grill one evening and enjoyed a homemade meal. It would have been nice if there had been a bar or restaurant on the premises at the Palms, as I would have enjoyed having a drink and socializing with other guests. If you do go out for dinner and a drink, you'll definitely need a designated driver. Some restaurants don't serve alcohol, but you can take your own and they'll just charge you an opening fee. We bought some beer and wine and sat out on our patio on the evenings we came back early. We would have some drinks and snacks and talk about our day. As some of the other reviewers have mentioned, the condos are a little dated, but ours was clean and came with a washer/dryer so I didn't mind too much.

I would definitely recommend the Palms at Wailea to anyone looking for a larger place to stay at a great price. It worked out very well for me and my grown family; I also think it's a great place for families with smaller kids. The pool was nice, but the younger kids could be a little noisy at times, so I wouldn't recommend the Palms for couples wanting a quiet, romantic week!

Room Tip: If you're not a morning person, I would ask for a room away from the main road. People in Maui...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Aloha sleatmc.
Mahalo for taking the time to provide us, and all of the Tripadvisor readers, a wonderful summary of your recent stay with us as I was so pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations. I believe you provided a very accurate review of our property and I am confident that many will benefit from your observations.
We too believe that we are a great resort for families due to the spacious floor plan of the condos that are well stocked for your needs, the beautiful lawn area and the inviting pool. Additionally, families appreciate the ability to prepare reasonably priced meals, enjoy them at your leisure and to store the tasty leftovers for an additional meal at a later time.
Upon a return visit to our property, I would recommend that you consider renting a Garden view Deluxe as these units are in the interior of our property and away from the road. I would like to thank you for your thorough review and look forward to your next visit with us. Mahalo. Matt Swartz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I will have a hard time being convinced to stay anywhere else. Amazing condo, beautiful view, spectacular price for what you get, and great service! Shirlynne, front desk, was so accommodating! I can't wait to convince my husband to go back next year (if we can save some more money). Book early for the best condos on the property. Most are very well equipped with everything you need to enjoy your stay. I will never stay in a hotel again when I visit Maui. This is the best location for the best price!

Room Tip: Book in February for summer travel! #1106
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Aloha and Mahalo for your high praise!
We are thrilled to hear how please you were with your time here with us at the Outrigger Palms at Wailea and I’m sure the great memories that you have will be very motivating and soon enough you will be able to return. Thank you for adding comments about Shirlynne as she enjoys being appreciated.
You are correct in that it is good to book early and to make sure to let us know your requests as we will work hard to please you.
Mahalo for your kind words.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Nice condo for our stay on Maui. We have stayed another Outrigger in Kaanapali and we like both. The Palms and Wailea is nice - quiet location, very clean condo, fully equipped kitchen with everything you need for your stay. Nice staff at front desk - quick and easy check-in and out. Love that parking and the room safe is included in your stay (those extra fees at other places add up when you're not expecting them!).

We were surprised at how spacious the one bedroom condo was - we had more than enough room for my husband and I, and it was nice to have bedroom offset from living room for when one of us wanted to rest and the other wanted to stay up.

The only very minor criticism I have is no AC in the main living area. We were there for scuba diving so after a day in the water and on the boat in the sun - we could have used a cool place to relax. It would have been okay if we could have had a cross breeze, but the lanai doors both faced the same way so getting the trades to cool the condo didn't quite work. That being said, it really wasn't a big deal. In fall, winter or spring it wouldn't be a problem - we choose the hot time to go (July). And the AC in the bedroom worked great so sleeping at night was blissfully comfortable! The bed was SO comfy.

Near Kihei for easy drive to restaurants, etc - but far enough away to be nice and quiet too. Loved this place and would definitely go back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha. I am so pleased to hear your kind words and the fact that you loved our little resort here in Wailea.
Our one bedroom units are spacious with about 1000 sq ft (and the 2 bedroom units are 1200) and so there is plenty of space to enjoy. Additionally, having the separation from the bedroom and a full size kitchen is something that sets us off as very different from a Hotel room and this too is appreciated by the our guests. I was also pleased to hear that the staffs were helpful as this means that they are enjoying what they do.
Your comments about the air-conditioning are important as many first time visitors are not aware that the standard floor plan is for us here at the Palms of Wailea is for a/c in the master bedroom only. However, I am happy to say that 25 of our owners have gone to a significant expense to add full a/c and so we are now able too offer this as an option -although there is an added charge for this amenity and it is $15 per day for a one bedroom unit or $20 per day for a 2 bedroom. Ideally, all units would be fully air conditioned (especially in the summer months) and then we would not need an added (optional) charge but with the cost of utilities and maintenance the added fee is understandable.
Mahalo for taking the time to provide your comments for all of us.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Well equipped condo for our family of 5.

MK at concierge is very helpful & knowledgable with organising activities.

A bit of a walk to the beach, but you really need a hire car in Maui anyway.

All in all a comfortable stay, clean, nice pool, good Internet.

• Stayed June 2013
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Aloha Claudia.
We appreciate your concise review of your time here at the Outrigger Palms at Wailea as you pointed out the key ideas of our resort.
I will make sure to convey to MK’s boss that you appreciated her service as I agree that she and Chica do a very good job making it easy for guests to enjoy all the fun things to do on Maui. Mahalo for taking the time to share these thoughts with all of us.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We spent a week at the Palms, the condo was lovely and well equipped. We did need to hire a car as the location was quite restricted for eating out, food etc. arriving late in the evening with no supplies was not so good, we hired a car the next day. Lovely beaches and people's. There was no room service, towel change included in the price. Beautiful Island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha to our visitor from the United Kingdom.
You traveled a long way to come visit us and we are pleased to see your comment ‘lovely location…beaches and people’ and ended your review with ‘Beautiful Island’ as we take this to mean that it was worth it!
We agree that if one wants to explore, renting a car is important as Maui’s wonders are spread out.
You rightfully noted that housekeeping is now ‘ala carte’ but we trust that you found the condo to be well stocked and that the washer and dryer in all units allows one to cost effectively take care of ones needs.
When on this side of the world again, we trust that you will spend another visit with us.
Mahalo.
Matt
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This Outrigger property is a perfect location for those looking to be close to many of the most beautiful beaches in Maui. The Wailea beaches are a short walk away from The Palms.

A word of caution on Big Beach at Makena State Park. It is a spectacular beach but with treacherous shorebreaks. Not for kids, unless they stay out of the water. The beaches at Wailea and Kihei are safer and more adapted for children.

If you do not mind the drive to other attractions on the island, Haleakala, the road to Hana or Iao Needles, then you will certainly enjoy The Palms location. At the end of your day, you will find many very good (and expensive) restaurants at Wailea but, if you are looking for more affordable dining options, Kihei provides a few. Or you could relax, buy your own food and enjoy the sunset from your condo unit with a glass of red wine.

This was my second visit at the Palms and I intend to come back again. The quality of the staff, the location and the accomodation all contributed to make my stay at Maui a memorable one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Drarig.
Both the Trip Advisor readers and I appreciate your helpful comments. We do have lovely beaches here on Maui and Keawakapu and Elua/Mokapu beaches are a short 10 minute walk away. Additional there are probably 10 more beaches that stretch the 4 mile distance from Wailea to Makena. Your comments about Big Beach are very important as too often we hear of back injuries caused by the powerful waves at this spectacular beach. Mahalo for noting for the readers that you found our resort to have a very nice location and we too believe that our little oasis provides a relaxing and convenient spot after a busy day exploring all that Maui has to offer.
We look forward to you next visit.
Mahalo. Matt
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We traveled to Kihei, Hawaii for ten days in January with my grandparents and my two small children. After learning online that many of the rooms had a fairly large set of stairs to climb to gain entry I was nervous that my grandparents (aged 73 and 79) would struggle with climbing them daily. I called the hotel 2 weeks before our trip and explained my situation. They happily moved us to a ground floor room. Once we got there we had a great stay. There was more than enough room for the six of us, with a nice and well equipped kitchen and an amazing Lanai with a view of the ocean and a barbecue. It was very nice to be able to have some meals at the condo, since my two year old doesn't always do well eating in restaurants. The pool area was great, clean, and fully fenced. The ONLY negative for me was that our lanai was open right out onto a steep hill, with a small (albeit beautiful) pond at the bottom. My two year old tried multiple times to run down the hill and we had to frantically chase him down before he reached the pond area. After a day or two of getting in trouble each time he did he stopped, but I was regularly nervous that he'd be able to open the sliding door and take off without any of us noticing. Their concierge service was awesome, and the room service staff was really great. Our room was clean and well maintained, even though the decor is a little outdated. We have family who live in Kihei and have traveled there many times - so far this was the best combination for us of fit for our young family, location, cleanliness, and service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Cara and Mahalo for sharing your valuable observations about your experience here at the Outrigger Palms at Wailea. I was particularly please to hear your last statement that this was the best ‘combination for your family’ as we agree that our resort is well suited for multi-generational vacation travel. You reminded the readers that our rooms are spacious, well equipped and even have propane BBQ’s on all lanais. I was also please to hear that the staff was able to arrange to provide you with a ground floor unit that allows for easy access to the lovely grounds. I was also happy to hear that our concierge service was able to assist you with all the wonderful things to do here on Maui. Mahalo for all of your kind words and valuable informaton. We look forward to your next visit with us. Mahalo. Matt

Been to Palms at Wailea? Share your experiences!